• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway's New Rush

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/542/542183p1.html

la-rush-20040825044808385.jpg

It's San Francisco no more, as this time the speed goes south. First trailer included.

August 25, 2004 - In an announcement made exclusively through IGN today, Midway Games has revealed that it has begun development on the sequel to its popular arcade racing series, San Francisco Rush. Developed by the internal team at Midway, the all-new title known as L.A. Rush will hit the PlayStation 2 and Xbox sometime next spring.

Though details about the game are still forthcoming, Midway has been kind enough to let us in on a few key tidbits. Of particular note, is the fact that the developers have created an entirely new technology engine made specifically for this game in order to capture the city of Los Angeles as accurately as possible. Beverly Hills, Compton, Hollywood, LAX, and Santa Monica are just a few of the areas that will be modeled in a realistic fashion, while each and every one of these sections will offer highly destructible environments. Another key inclusion is that Midway has enlisted the creative help of Rides Magazine and West Coast Customs in regards to the look and style of the game's presentation.

Bastards, give GameCube a dose. You had every Rush game on the N64, yet don't even put the new one on the GC. Sucks. Even if they don't support GC a lot (MK: D still apparently and Treasures 2), they should at least port it to GC.

That out of the way, I can see why they changed it to LA. They have done SF several times already. I just hope they have a stunt section like the previous games and not go for all out realism, which I am worried about.

And so continues Midway's resurgence.

[looks at sales of The Suffering & Psi-Ops]

Hopefully, Joe Public will actually notice one of these days.

bogg

AeroGod said:
Midway left GC like years ago. Where were you.
Mmmm, they are releasing MK: Deception for GC next year. So my guess is that the ps2 and xbox versions of Rush will come out first with online play, and a few month's later they'll release the gc port. Or maybe there wont be a gc version who knows?

Didn't The Suffering put up some pretty decent numbers? I know Psi Ops didn't sell well, but I remember The Suffering ranking pretty high on PS2 and Xbox charts for a few months.

As for RUSH...Sold! Make it compatible wiht the FF wheel though.

SolidSnakex said:
Didn't The Suffering put up some pretty decent numbers? I know Psi Ops didn't sell well, but I remember The Suffering ranking pretty high on PS2 and Xbox charts for a few months.

As for RUSH...Sold! Make it compatible wiht the FF wheel though.

Unforunately, they waited for the market to be completely saturated with street racers.

NFSU
Burnout
SRS
Midnight Club
Juiced
Flatout
Test Drive
Crash N Burn
Fast & The Furious

Well it's not coming out till next year, which looks empty for racers. Plus there's really nothing like RUSH, these arcade racers are nice. But online RUSH in stunt mode...DROOL! :)

Yusaku

Hey, lets set another stupid urban car game in LA! LA is fucking boring and stupid, San Francisco is hilly and awesome, what's wrong with people?

xsarien

daedsiluap
I have a sinking feeling that this game is going into territory already well-covered by Midnight Club and NFS: Underground.

I'm still keeping the candle lit, though. Rush 2049 sold me on the Dreamcast, this one better be as much fun.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Yusaku said:
Hey, lets set another stupid urban car game in LA! LA is fucking boring and stupid, San Francisco is hilly and awesome, what's wrong with people?
LA has a couple decent locations: PCH, Malibu Canyon Road, that mess they call Downtown LA.

I have a feeling that San Fransisco was dropped from in favor of LA because the gameplay will be grossly different from previous Rush games. This way, they can keep the "Rush" name but tell the fans to pound sand and that it was never suppose to be like SF Rush.

Dave Long

Banned
WTF?! Do they even play the old games that sold well before deciding what to do with the series? Just what the fans want... another fucking street racing game like all the others.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Dave Long said:
WTF?! Do they even play the old games that sold well before deciding what to do with the series? Just what the fans want... another fucking street racing game like all the others.
Hopefully, when they say:

"...LAX... will be modeled in a realistic fashion,"

They mean driving inside LAX and not just racing down Sepulveda Blvd.

But then again, realistically, there's no room for cars to race inside LAX.

M3wThr33

Banned
Dammit! No 2049 sequel and no GameCube version!
No GameCube means I probably won't buy it until later.
Not in the future means no wings means no stunt mode. I hope they don't try to make it compete with PGR, SRS and NFSU, because there's too many already. Just make it an over-the-top arcade-ish racing game filled with shortcuts everywhere.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The Faceless Master said:
if only it were a sequel to 2049...
Am I crazy or was that easily one of the best racers of the year when it was released. I remember spending a ton of hours playing that game.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
TekunoRobby said:
Am I crazy or was that easily one of the best racers of the year when it was released. I remember spending a ton of hours playing that game.

I am so looking forward to that Midway double pack coming out of Hydro and 2049... anybody remember the release date?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I know it's to be expected and everything like that, but why the immediate no-GC-port bashing? Haven't you noticed that the GC eats third-party products like a bat eats flies? Especially non-brand-name racers?

xsarien

daedsiluap
fenekku-gitsune said:
I know it's to be expected and everything like that, but why the immediate no-GC-port bashing? Haven't you noticed that the GC eats third-party products like a bat eats flies? Especially non-brand-name racers?

Since when was Rush not a brand name?

xsarien

daedsiluap
fenekku-gitsune said:
All right, I'm sorry. It's a brand name in that Midway has a trademark on it.

Harsh. :(
I loves me a good Rush game. The original took valuable laundry money from me in college, and I'm convinced that 2049 was the reason I lived primarily off of Ramen senior year. (Who has time to actually cook when there are stunt courses to be played?)

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I'm sorry if it came off as prickery. I simply mean that Rush, while a big hit on the N64, will likely have an uphill battle ahead for the hearts and minds of modern gamers, what with all the racing competition nowadays. What's more, that situation would be even more difficult if Rush was coming to the GameCube, a system where the racing genre (outside of Nintendo's character racers) has not historically been popular.

xsarien

daedsiluap
fenekku-gitsune said:
I'm sorry if it came off as prickery. I simply mean that Rush, while a big hit on the N64, will likely have an uphill battle ahead for the hearts and minds of modern gamers, what with all the racing competition nowadays. What's more, that situation would be even more difficult if Rush was coming to the GameCube, a system where the racing genre (outside of Nintendo's character racers) has not historically been popular.

Well, that's a bit of a catch-22. (I'd probably wind up with the PS2 version of the game, so the GCN port argument isn't even at issue here.) There haven't been what I'd call genuine attempts at putting racing games on the Gamecube, so there's nothing really out there to prove that point beyond a few token lessons learned from F-Zero and the late ports of Burnout 1 and 2.

Sho Nuff

Banned
OHHHHHHHHH YES!!!! NEW RUSH!!!

edit:

As for the act of driving itself, it's been confirmed that the game will be completely free-roaming with a mission-based structure and a series of new challenges that aren't necessarily tied to traditional racing. Additionally, players can look forward to experiencing cop chase, cross-traffic, and gridlock situations, while old-school gameplay elements like jumps and extreme shortcuts make their return as well.

Wait a fucking second, THAT ISN'T RUSH

Mason

I was initially disappointed when I clicked on this thread and saw that my beloved Rush series has fallen into the "custom street racer" trend. But after watching the trailer, I'm intrigued. Ignoring the fact that "Tipsy" has been dead for a good two months now, the game actually looks like it will have that over-the-top, arcadey Rush feel.

Based on the movie and notes that I saw not recently, I see a bad future for Rush. Midway probably wanted to make a Street Racer game, saw Rush unused, and decided to use the brand name to get series fans to jump inmmediatly. I mean, in SF Rush, you could do anything with your car, almost impossible stuff to do in real life (my brother and I spent hours just flying off of the simple bumps in the terrain). This game will probably be more like Midnight Club than Rush. At least, that's what I think.

jarrod

Banned
fenekku-gitsune said:
By extension, why then bother with XBox, where outside the launch PGR1 racers seem to have an equally hopeless time performing? RSC1-2, BurnOut 1-2, MotoGP 1-2, NFSU, PGR2, Midnight Club 2, Colin McRae 3-04, Group S, auto modellista, Racing Evolution, Quantum Redshift, Sega GT 2002/Online... racers seem to do just as bad on XBox as GameCube in general.

What's really so bad about what they said about this game? It seems like they're just adding more depth to it. It's still going to have the crazy jumps and shortcuts, but you're going to have added things to it. At this point with racers, it's becoming expected that you can tune your car, just like it's expected that racers should be online now.

I'll never understand peoples hatred toward customization in racers, which only adds to the gameplay and does nothing to take away from it.

"By extension, why then bother with XBox, where outside the launch PGR1 racers seem to have an equally hopeless time performing?"

Because its going to be online, so it only makes sense to put it on the Xbox also.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
SolidSnakex said:
"By extension, why then bother with XBox, where outside the launch PGR1 racers seem to have an equally hopeless time performing?"

Because its going to be online, so it only makes sense to put it on the Xbox also.
Unless the main focus of the game is online, that's no excuse to keep it off the GameCube.

I normally try not to be one of those people who makes a big fit everytime a game is announced for PS2 and Xbox but not GC, but Jarrod's right: most racing games don't sell particularly better on the Xbox than they do on the GC. In fact, given that Rush games are traditionally very arcadey (although who can say for this new game), I would think the GC might even be a halfway decent fit for the game.

"Unless the main focus of the game is online, that's no excuse to keep it off the GameCube. "

It's good enough reason for them though. Both Godzilla and Burnout 3 aren't on the GC because of online features.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
"Unless the main focus of the game is online, that's no excuse to keep it off the GameCube. "

It's good enough reason for them though. Both Godzilla and Burnout 3 aren't on the GC because of online features.
Or Mortal Kombat Deception... oh wait. ;)

xsarien

daedsiluap
SolidSnakex said:

Considering the nascent nature of online gaming, I have serious doubts that "Oh, we don't have any APIs for the GCN network adapter" is the dealbreaker with Nintendo versions of games, or the decision not to make them.

Ponder this:
A PS2 version is the obvious thing to make, an XBox version is easy to make. The Gamecube's stuck in the middle of that equation.

Sho Nuff

Banned
You idiots should stop bitching about this not being on Gamecube and start bitching about how they are fucking up Rush.

xsarien said:
Considering the nascent nature of online gaming, I have serious doubts that "Oh, we don't have any APIs for the GCN network adapter" is the dealbreaker with Nintendo versions of games, or the decision not to make them.

Can you think of any other reasons why Godzilla and Burnout aren't on the GC? The original Godzilla sold better on the GC than the Xbox yet there's no GC version this time around. Burnout 1 sold best on the GC and Burnout 2 sold best on hte Xbox, yet once again there's no GC version of the 3rd game. What's the big difference in the 3rd game (and 2nd game for Godzilla)? Online play. While it might be new for console games, some developers are taking it more sriously than others, those are the ones that are ignoring the GC because of the way Nintendo's handeled the online aspect.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Can you think of any other reasons why Godzilla and Burnout aren't on the GC?
Market perception. Godzilla STE started development at a time when GC was looking shaky performance wise (last year, pre-price drop) and Atari was killing various GC projects (DBZ B2, Driv3r, etc). Since then things have turned around though, and we may get a GC port of Godzilla after the fact (just like how XBox got the original later on). And with EA's recent buyout of Criterion, I wouldn't be surprised if BO3 followed in MKD's footsteps with a GC port next year either... despite Ward's apparent Nintendo disdain. ;)

DarienA said:
I am so looking forward to that Midway double pack coming out of Hydro and 2049... anybody remember the release date?

I think it is this Tuesday, but the lack of screenshots/reviews/general hype leads me to believe it doesn't exist anymore. :( that's too bad, because Hydro Thunder and Rush 2049 are the only reasons my DC is still running.

ge-man

I agree with Sho Nuff--who cares what platform this game is appearing on when isn't much of a Rush game at all.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i dont see why anyone still complains about the lack of 3rd party commitment on the GC anyway. the games dont move on the GC. the charts show this month after month. u want 3rd party games, buy a ps2 or xbox. its that simple.

jarrod

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
i dont see why anyone still complains about the lack of 3rd party commitment on the GC anyway. the games dont move on the GC. the charts show this month after month. u want 3rd party games, buy a ps2 or xbox. its that simple.
In general, sure (though XBox sales are much closer to GC sales than PS2 sales, it's more PS2 Vs GC/XBox than PS2/XBox Vs GC) but not for arcade racers... that's what's bringing up the contention here.

mrmyth

First off, fuck the GC right now.

They are completely screwing up the Rush franchise, from the setting to the playstyle.

I don't need a fart pipe for my car, or Type R stickers, or neon undercarriage lights. I need to get airborne for over thirty seconds and land on top of a skyscraper. I need to get up on two wheels and drive tilted as long as I can hold it. I need to hit a nearly invisible bump and fly/shortcut over half the course. That's Rush, not some 2F2F ripoff street racing clone.

And I'm fucking sick of driving around LA. LA is not that fucking interesting, and it is not the only city in the fucking US. No, dammit, NY shouldn't be a second choice either. I want scenery, not endless plam trees and flat roads, or badly textured cracked asphalt and steam from the sewers.

Pre-emptive fuck you to Midway for screwing Rush like this.

It's not really surprising that this looks shitty, considering Midway Games West (aka Atari Games) is long gone. RUSH without Atari Games is destined to be crap.

etiolate

Banned
I've been wondering if there will be a new Rush game, but considering a lot of the series' audience are Nintendo owners...that's pretty stupid on Midway's part.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
mrmyth said:
First off, fuck the GC right now.

They are completely screwing up the Rush franchise, from the setting to the playstyle.

I don't need a fart pipe for my car, or Type R stickers, or neon undercarriage lights. I need to get airborne for over thirty seconds and land on top of a skyscraper. I need to get up on two wheels and drive tilted as long as I can hold it. I need to hit a nearly invisible bump and fly/shortcut over half the course. That's Rush, not some 2F2F ripoff street racing clone.

And I'm fucking sick of driving around LA. LA is not that fucking interesting, and it is not the only city in the fucking US. No, dammit, NY shouldn't be a second choice either. I want scenery, not endless plam trees and flat roads, or badly textured cracked asphalt and steam from the sewers.

Pre-emptive fuck you to Midway for screwing Rush like this.

Arguably the best post in here.

Hit the nail right on the head! Your post should be applied to NFSU and Midnight Club II...two of most blatent examples of style of over substance.

Top Bottom