• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway's New Rush

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
isamu said:
Arguably the best post in here.

Hit the nail right on the head! Your post should be applied to NFSU and Midnight Club II...two of most blatent examples of style of over substance.

After the countless hours I and many others spent online playing MCII on XBL I'm so glad I now have you to point out which games I should and should not enjoy.

Ranger X

yuk, another fucking night street racing title? Will they ever stop doing those???

As long as we buy that they will give us. Who are you and where are you so i can kick you asses? (at Midnight Club 3 soon)

Play Midnight Club 2 online on the Paris level with everyone having the same car. I doubt you'll find a racer released so far that's that much fun online.

mrmyth

isamu said:
Arguably the best post in here.

Hit the nail right on the head! Your post should be applied to NFSU and Midnight Club II...two of most blatent examples of style of over substance.

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a shit what's done with completely new franchises. I don't mind the Midnight Club's of the world. But don't try shoehorning Rush's gameplay into a shitty cashin game and expect me to like it. I didn't buy NFSU either 'cause it isn't what I look for in a NFS game. NFS is exotic car love and always has been, not angry neon bumblebee Civics.

What's next, Sega Rally with upgrade parts and car damage? Daytona with realistic handling? Gran Turismo with turbos and missiles?

DarienA

SolidSnakex said:
Play Midnight Club 2 online on the Paris level with everyone having the same car. I doubt you'll find a racer released so far that's that much fun online.

Ah those were the days....

DarienA

I'm not sure what I'm getting more enjoyment from the current rage with street racing, or the fact that it irks some people here to no end.

The thing is it's all cyclic... what was the focus a few years ago? Sticking classic muscle cars in your racing game. Now? Underground racing.

If you don't think the focus will eventually shift back to exotics... then you haven't been paying attention.

mrmyth

DarienA said:
I'm not sure what I'm getting more enjoyment from the current rage with street racing, or the fact that it irks some people here to no end.

The thing is it's all cyclic... what was the focus a few years ago? Sticking classic muscle cars in your racing game. Now? Underground racing.

If you don't think the focus will eventually shift back to exotics... then you haven't been paying attention.

But street racing itself doesn't bother me. Its trying to change established franchises to cash in that does. Rush doesn't need undergroud 2F2F crap anymore than RSC2 needs hicks in shopping carts. Make a new game and sell it on its own merits, don't fuck up existing franchises for a fad.

DarienA

mrmyth said:
But street racing itself doesn't bother me. Its trying to change established franchises to cash in that does. Rush doesn't need undergroud 2F2F crap anymore than RSC2 needs hicks in shopping carts. Make a new game and sell it on its own merits, don't fuck up existing franchises for a fad.

The Rush series itself was a fad. I mean we can debate what the time period of interest in a product is when it goes from fad to mainstream but the reality is that arcade gaming is gone. Lots of folks who game at home don't know the Rush series. 2049 had futuristic cars racing over jumps, etc... this one(supposedly) has realistic new and classics racing over jumps, etc.... we should probably see the game in motion before we write it off is all I'm saying.

By adding car customization, how are they ruining the game? All it does is add an extra amount of depth to it. They aren't jumping on a fad, they're jumping on something that's becoming a staple in racing games, customizing.

Matlock

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
By adding car customization, how are they ruining the game? All it does is add an extra amount of depth to it. They aren't jumping on a fad, they're jumping on something that's becoming a staple in racing games, customizing.

Except in the instance that may arise with you not being able to race fully without customization, it can't "ruin it." As it stands, though...customization in car games sucks. No matter what game it is, just add up the horsepower and win. :p

mrmyth

DarienA said:
The Rush series itself was a fad.

YOU SHUT UP! YOU GO TO HELL! YOU DIE!

I mean we can debate what the time period of interest in a product is when it goes from fad to mainstream but the reality is that arcade gaming is gone.

times27.jpg

Damn! Damn! Damn!

Lots of folks who game at home don't know the Rush series. 2049 had futuristic cars racing over jumps, etc... this one(supposedly) has realistic new and classics racing over jumps, etc.... we should probably see the game in motion before we write it off is all I'm saying.

That's cool. But I probably won't buy it. So neener neener.

Future

------------
As for the act of driving itself, it's been confirmed that the game will be completely free-roaming with a mission-based structure and a series of new challenges that aren't necessarily tied to traditional racing. Additionally, players can look forward to experiencing cop chase, cross-traffic, and gridlock situations, while old-school gameplay elements like jumps and extreme shortcuts make their return as well
-------------

Those old school elements were Rush defined. Hopefully they aren't just pushed aside for the occasional shortcut with this new mission based free roaming thing. L.A. isn't nearly as hilly as San Fransisco and doesn't open itself to obvious hangtime in the old games. With destructible environments they will probably have you bursting through buildings or jumping off ramps created by broken areas to create these jumps. If it's designed well, owned.

Rush:2049 on the DC is my favorite racing game, period*. I am so incredibly sad that Midway is changing the game from futuristic racing to bullshit, everybody-else-is-doing-it street racing.

*but Uniracers is right up there

Top Bottom