• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

I'm eyeballing ~30 FPS in the first town with a 570 at 2560x1600. All details maxed but no AA. Dungeon performance is reportedly better.

The weird thing is that lowering resolution and details doesn't affect the framerate nearly as much as you'd expect. It probably has something to do with Unity choking on a huge game but who knows.

Thank you for the context! I really appreciate it.

Volodja

Oh man, at first I thought "This looks like ass even maxed, the textures are all blurry"
But it looks like there's a bug with the options menu while opening it in the game and not in the main menu and it didn't register my change in options.
Changed it to Ultra and well, it's definitely much different.
Got an i5 2500k and a 560ti and it runs passably in the city (struggles a bit in the marketplace in front of the temple) and it runs pretty smoothly while in the first dungeon.

Tried 2 parties to start with Warrior difficulty.
The first it was a Freemage, an Hunter, a Defender and a Bladedancer and it cleared the first boss with just one casualty, the second was a Ranger, Freemage, Defender and Barbarian and I got wiped (the ranger did nothing).
Now I'm going to try a Freemage, Bladedancer, Barbarian and Defender, but I fear that this is too steeply shifted towards the melee side of things.

Zukuu

Banned
From the footage it seems like it requires mad healing potion spamming. True or did I watch the wrong footage? Also, pause feature?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
From the footage it seems like it requires mad healing potion spamming. True or did I watch the wrong footage? Also, pause feature?

I've barely used any potions, I started the game with 5 of each, I now have 55 healing and like 35 mana and I haven't bought a single one.

What do you think of this party:
Bladedancer
Crusader
Freemage
Runepriest

It seems like a decent blend, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

This is my party, it is absolutely wrecking face so far.

epmode

Man, skill usage for pure melee classes like barbarians is weird. Looks like you're pretty much forced to put points into Warfare if you want to do anything besides auto-attack.

Has anyone come up with a good stat point plan for a crusader? I'm building mine as a party tank but I'm not sure how much I should focus on spirit and light magic.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pro-Tip: If a cave is labelled as 'dangerous cave', they are in fact not kidding.

12113430586_9859451891_o.png

Volodja

At Warrior difficulty I'm finding that not only do I have to rest after every fight, but that if I get some back luck with attacks and damage rolls I may be forced to quaff potions like I was playing Diablo 2.
I'm somewhat worried about the amount of Rests I've left in the Lighthouse because I've just hit the second floor and I've had to rest 4 times.

Also the lack of respawn makes me really slightly concerned about all this resource consumption.

Moff

At Warrior difficulty I'm finding that not only do I have to rest after every fight, but that if I get some back luck with attacks and damage rolls I may be forced to quaff potions like I was playing Diablo 2.
I'm somewhat worried about the amount of Rests I've left in the Lighthouse because I've just hit the second floor and I've had to rest 4 times.

Also the lack of respawn makes me really slightly concerned about all this resource consumption.

you can go back to the inn anytime and restock 6 resting supplies.
its 10 gold each on adventurer, probably more on warrior.

rybrad

Man this game is so good, I am having a great time with it. In case anyone didn't know, you can get your supplies to a 9 stack if you buy them from the cart outside of town instead of the inn.

desverger

I didn't see this answered yet - how do people get the downsampling working? Because those screenshots look absolutely gorgeous.

Durante

I didn't see this answered yet - how do people get the downsampling working? Because those screenshots look absolutely gorgeous.
My screenshots are just downsampled from 2560x1440, which is the native resolution of my monitor. A general downsampling guide is here.

By the way, I'd like to amend my earlier statement about AA. I now think that the FXAA1a option is actually the best choice of the available options. (It's counterintuitive that the FXAAs with higher numbers are significantly worse)

desverger

My screenshots are just downsampled from 2560x1440, which is the native resolution of my monitor. A general downsampling guide is here.

I see, thanks!

edit: I'm kinda missing the fact that I don't have a manual or something to flip through here. While I'm at work, I would like to read on what the skills do and what spells are included in what schools.

People complaining about this being "touch ruined" forgot how M&M1-5 played. It was a PERFECT game for iPads if iPads would exist back then. Same for the Eye of the Beholder series.

Received my package, will post pics of the contents later because fuck you guys - nobody posted the cloth map pic yet!

(I guess yall are US based)

I see Sinatar is already spoiling the game with that Dragon pic, grr.

KePoW

Banned
By the way, I'd like to amend my earlier statement about AA. I now think that the FXAA1a option is actually the best choice of the available options. (It's counterintuitive that the FXAAs with higher numbers are significantly worse)

I'm about to do a detailed screenshot analysis of all the AA in this game. Will report back.

<edit> Ok here are my opinions. First, do *not* use NFAA / DLAA / FXAA3, they are absolutely horrible. FXAA2 is bad too.

The best options are FXAA1a / SSAA / FXAA1b

(I did not test framerate performance, because I have a powerful system)

eXistor

My performance is really spotty, lowering graphical options seem to have very little impact... Other than that I'm having a blast, a great entry in the genre. Bosses are giving me quite a hard time though. Mamushi especially is lookin pretty impossible at this point, my main attackers just get blocked or miss.

Damn you all! I'm playing a bunch of games at the moment but all i can think about is getting this game and spending the weekend playing it. Gah! I hate you all. Seriously.

Shahadan

I'm interested but I have my doubts :(
Never played a M&M before, is it a good place to start? I'm not really afraid of being lost at first and game is really pretty.

Gurvon

Neo Member
Damn this game turned out to be way better then I expected when they first announced it.
Delicious oldschool dungeon crawling wrapped up in a nice modern package, love it!

Kicking ass and taking names (with my ass occasionally being handed to me...) with this party:
1: Crusader
2: Barbarian
3: Druid
4: Runepriest

Moff

I'm interested but I have my doubts :(
Never played a M&M before, is it a good place to start? I'm not really afraid of being lost at first and game is really pretty.

I'd say yes.
its not too expensive and people seem to like it a lot.
at least I do, it might be difficult for you though.

my last might and magic was over 20 years ago and I havent played a lot of round based RPGs in the meantime so I'm getting my ass handed to me regularly.

marrec

Banned
Bought the game and have yet to play it, but I'm really worried about the performance issues that people have been mentioning... Ubisoft is almost criminally bad at updating PC games once released.

Either way, can't wait to get home today and try it out.

How are you guys running at higher than 1080p? The options are maxing out at 1920x1080 for me, which sucks on my 2560x1080 monitor: the game is stretched.

Loving the game so far, man it's gonna take some money and mana management on warrior difficulty.

Shahadan

I'd say yes.
its not too expensive and people seem to like it a lot.
at least I do, it might be difficult for you though.

my last might and magic was over 20 years ago and I havent played a lot of round based RPGs in the meantime so I'm getting my ass handed to me regularly.

Ok, thank you. I bought it from greenmangaming because of their voucher, I'm a little salty they didn't gave me a steam key but whatever. Kinda excited to try the game now :D

epmode

How are you guys running at higher than 1080p? The options are maxing out at 1920x1080 for me, which sucks on my 2560x1080 monitor: the game is stretched.

There's a config file in <DOCUMENTS>MightAndMagicX

You can edit the resolution details very easily. I'd give you more details if I were in front of my computer.

Durante

Damn this game turned out to be way better then I expected when they first announced it.
Delicious oldschool dungeon crawling wrapped up in a nice modern package, love it!

Kicking ass and taking names (with my ass occasionally being handed to me...) with this party:
1: Crusader
2: Barbarian
3: Druid
4: Runepriest
I just want to get home and continue playing.

Oh, and my Druid has been very useful so far. Good damage spells which aren't too expensive and have nice CC effects.

Gah, why did this have to release now?! I have to leave on a 1.5 wk business trip and the laptop they are giving me couldn't play Angry Birds, let alone this thing. Gonna be a loooong trip :(

I really hope this does well for them, this looks fantastic. I love seeing those old school mechanics get a facelift, reminds me of Grimrock. I enjoyed that game immensely, played just like Eye of the Beholder if it had of been released in 2012. I wan't to see more old franchises revived like this, plenty of old classics just need some minor streamlining and pretty graphics, and they would still be terrific ;)

Durante

Gah, why did this have to release now?! I have to leave on a 1.5 wk business trip and the laptop they are giving me couldn't play Angry Birds, let alone this thing. Gonna be a loooong trip :(
Steam streaming beta :p

Probably not enough bandwidth, but latency-wise it should be possible to play this even with 200 ms. Not ideal, but possible.

ys45

My Party :

1. Crusader
2. Defender
3. Druid
4. Free mage

Completed 2 quest so far I'm exploring outside of the town killing wolfs and spiders.
My druid is my healer and my FM is the nuker both my melee char have shield (which help a lot with the blocks) doing good so far .

From what I hear the game might need some balance patch with the difficulty ?
Or at least they should make the monster respawn after a set number of days (were they respawning in old M&M ?)

Ricker

Are there any puzzles in this game that just involves hitting switches on a timer to open a panel elsewhere to keep going,like Grimrock..? because I hated those in Grimrock and I stopped playing the game because of that since I couldn't advance(I was enjoying everything else about it).

Really tempted to buy it also...I have to decide between this,Blackguards or Divinity.

V_Arnold

Are there any puzzles in this game that just involves hitting switches on a timer to open a panel elsewhere to keep going,like Grimrock..? because I hated those in Grimrock and I stopped playing the game because of that since I couldn't advance(I was enjoying everything else about it).

Really tempted to buy it also...I have to decide between this,Blackguards or Divinity.

I have seen traprooms, lever puzzles, "type the answer" puzzles and tons of levers, BUT time has never been a factor in any of these. You have all the time in the world to complete a puzzle.

Carm

I've been fooled on the performance increase from early access to release. Definite improvement in the starting city, but the next area I start having issues, at default settings 1080p. Certain areas just seem to struggle to load in and tanks the fps, then I ran into two Spectres guarding a door(stay away, bad), every time they would use their purple orb ability my fps would tank to 7. Figured it might be just loading the first time but did it every time. Really no excuse for these drops with how the game looks and how little is going on, on screen at one time.

Beyond that, I started playing at 1:45am and it's now 7:14am, so.. yea heh.

Zareth

Anybody found the Expert Axe trainer yet? I am in Seahaven now and still missing this one...

The expert axe trainer is in the first town in the training center. Make sure you click on the other guys portrait while in the training center to get his training options.

Gothos

I've been fooled on the performance increase from early access to release. Definite improvement in the starting city, but the next area I start having issues, at default settings 1080p. Certain areas just seem to struggle to load in and tanks the fps, then I ran into two Spectres guarding a door(stay away, bad), every time they would use their purple orb ability my fps would tank to 7. Figured it might be just loading the first time but did it every time. Really no excuse for these drops with how the game looks and how little is going on, on screen at one time.

Beyond that, I started playing at 1:45am and it's now 7:14am, so.. yea heh.

Yep, as I said before - in cities and dungeons the FPS is silky smooth but there are outdoor areas that have terrible slowdowns. Thankfuly there not many of them. Oh, and those spectres near cursed ruins are one of them, so it's not you, it's game :)

Anyway, just clocked 40 hours. I think this the best dungeon crawler I played besides Wizardry 8. Game is fucking awesome! I can't imagine it not selling well enough to make MMXI - it MUST happen (but plz, don't use Unity)!

Unity isn't a problem, it's a perfectly good game engine not known for poor performance. But this does seem like a budget game where Ubisoft wouldn't throw much optimization effort behind.

Top Bottom