• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Moff

Finally decided my starting party. It's going to be:

Elf Bladedancer
Dwarf Defender
Human Freemage
Dwarf Runepriest

I pretty much have every skill covered, with the exception of Two-handed, and ranged skills (bow, x-bow and arcane discipline are all going to be left at Expert stage). Like previous M&M games, I'm going to try and cover all the skills and specialize into them with each character.

If anyone's interested, here's the intended skill specialization for each class:

Bladedancer: Dagger, Sword, Dual Wield, Dodge, Endurance
Defender: Mace, Axe, Heavy Armor, Shield, Warfare
Freemage: Magical Focus, Mysticism, Water, Air, Dark, Primordial
Runepriest: Magical Focus, Spear, Mysticism, Fire, Earth

Dwarf power!
thats exactly what I am going with and I'm doing very well so far. after some difficultues in the first 2 hours I hardly need to use potions right now and I rest after every second or third fight. and I consider myself bad in that genre. I wonder if this is a good mid/endgame setup too

as mentioned: celestial armor is incredibly strong, give light magic to both your runepriest and freemage, they might take turns in casting celestial armor in some boss fights.
I also gave both the bladedancer as well as the freemage earth magic, because of the novice AOE heal and roots
boost the freemages air as soon as possible, the nuke spell is on expert tier.
fire bolt is obviously the best nuke spell in the beginning
give the casters lots of spirit while leveling
dont forget presence for the melees, they wont hit anything otherwise
bladedancer will need warfare too, it has both the defensive and the offensive warrior abilities

desverger

thats exactly what I am going with and I'm doing very well so far. after some difficultues in the first 2 hours I hardly need to use potions right now and I rest after every second or third fight. and I consider myself bad in that genre. I wonder if this is a good mid/endgame setup too

as mentioned: celestial armor is incredibly strong, give light magic to both your runepriest and freemage, they might take turns in casting celestial armor in some boss fights.
I also gave both the bladedancer as well as the freemage earth magic, because of the novice AOE heal and roots
bladedancer will need warfare too, it has both the defensive and the offensive warrior abilities

Great, thanks for the starter tips :)

Darkone

Started a new party:

Crusader
Blademaster
Rune Priest
Freemage

Doing good on Warrior!

FUCK the spiders poison.
Its hard when leveling up on which skill to upgrade :).

KePoW

Banned
Anyone know what the "Enemy Movement Speed" in options does?

Does that make the game harder somehow if it's higher?

NIN90

Had my entire party poisoned after the castle boss without any antidotes and had to go all the way back to town while chugging health potions. I must have burned through 25 potions that way.

PSA: Get the "Remove Posion" spell before going into that place.

Gothos

I'm oficially stuck in the story. Need to retrieve certain item from location that is accessible only with Blessing of Shelassa. But I still haven't found the shard to unlock it :<

Shaldome

Had my entire party poisoned after the castle boss without any antidotes and had to go all the way back to town while chugging health potions. I must have burned through 25 potions that way.

PSA: Get the "Remove Posion" spell before going into that place.

Happened to me to, but I had Dispel Magic form the Prime Magic school which worked fine to clear it after a fight.

Darkone

What is presence for melees?
They miss quite often and it pisses me off.

garath

Well I caved and bought it. Can't wait to play tonight :)

Been ages since I paid full price for a game. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Mashing

Has anyone experiemented with crazy class combinations? Something like 4x magic users (my M&M VI group was cleric, sorc, sorc, druid). Ridiculously powerful at end game.

desverger

Time for the first battle report!

Spider queen is dead and the spider caves are cleared. That douchebag orc left my party the minute the spider queen was dead. I'm so glad the first thing I bought was the cure poison spell, I think I got poisoned like 25 times :p

Got a level for everyone and my Bladedancer is already wrecking stuff. Love the class.

Spent most of my money buying spells and armor for everyone, the shop didn't really have anything on the way of weapons for me, and since everyone has a starter weapon, it works out allright.

Now on to the coast! Man, I forgot how much fun turn-based dungeon crawlers were.

vocab

How OP is the relic set you get from uplay rewards?

That feel when you find an awesome 2 hand sword and your orc barb cant use swords. DAMNIT

Has anyone experiemented with crazy class combinations? Something like 4x magic users (my M&M VI group was cleric, sorc, sorc, druid). Ridiculously powerful at end game.

This may be viable, magic users seem quite powerful so far in my game, but mana is a huge concern early game so it would definitely be slow going. I'd probably go with a tank and 3 mages based on how my game is going so far.

AkuMifune

Banned
By the way: You can totally comfy couch this game with a wireless keyboard that has a trackpad.

I need this on my couch. Even with a Steam controller I'm not sure if there'd be enough inputs for all the shortcuts. Man. That wireless kb might just work for me too though.

And yeah, what's up with Quest Tokens?

KePoW

Banned
No because you can accidentally get into fights with enemies that are way above your level and you can't escape from battles.

Ah ok dratz! Ironman is usually fun in old-school games.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what exactly does Kengi the Chef do for your party?

KePoW

Banned
Since laptops are not supported I'm forced to run the game at minimal settings. It feels like I'm playing Meridian 59.

Those screenshots are hot! You should also turn on the Pixelation filter in the options and post what it looks like with your settings.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Since laptops are not supported I'm forced to run the game at minimal settings. It feels like I'm playing Meridian 59.

Edit:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to read up on how to make Ubisoft's games run on a laptop. Also you know what would be nice Ubisoft? If the portraits actually looked like the character models.

What are the CPU/GPU specs of your laptop?

Volodja

Ah ok dratz! Ironman is usually fun in old-school games.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what exactly does Kengi the Chef do for your party?
Everytime you rest you get the Well Rested bonus, even when you aren't in an Inn.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (2GB), 8GB RAM DDR3, if I can believe the software that I'm using, but that sounds about right.

I guess I'll have to look up how to enforce the game to use the GeForce (though the usual way, i.e. just using the NVIDIA system tool, doesn't seem to work).

Edit:
Pixel filter:

Looks honestly less eye cancer-inducing than before.

And I was thinking in my head. "anything less than a GT 540M will be below far the minimum requirement."

So yeah, you're right at the minimum system requirement of a desktop 8800 GT, give or take a few percentages.

V_Arnold

How many relics did you guys find? I am around halfway of Act2 (main dungeons still left), and I am at....6 or 7. They are worth taking on new skills. Amazingly scaling stuff.

garath

In case anyone is wondering, I purchased the deluxe version from steam today and initially M&M6 didn't show up in my library but a few hours later and it's there. I'm downloading it now.

Don't know which game to start with! lol

epmode

Might be a stupid question:

Is there a magic accuracy stat? You know, like Perception for melee classes. I don't think I had any direct damage spells miss yet but I can't quite remember.

V_Arnold

Is there a magic accuracy stat? You know, like Perception for melee classes. I don't think I had any direct damage spells miss yet but I can't quite remember.

Whether magic hits or not is determined via resist rolls.

Moff

the more you level a school of magic, the more your spells will ignore resistance to that school of magic

KePoW

Banned

I believe it's related to the Resistance of the enemy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's funny how retro pixel mode is another name for Mac Mini mode...it's the only way I can run things at full resolution, but I ain't complaining. I was wary of the low cost, thinking it might be a shallow cash-in, but Grimrock was kind of a warm-up for this one, it seems pretty deep.

If the game runs like shit or you're not much above the minimal requirements, try the pixel filter. Kinda reminds me of the old days and at least the game runs smoothly.

As I've posted earlier on in the thread, the game's actually not very demanding as long as you set your visual expectations correctly. Semi decent rigs from 5-6 years ago could probably run it on minimal settings. The cutoff point seems to be the Core 2 CPU (or it's AMD equivalent) and some ancient dedicated GPU from ATI/NVIDIA that supports DX9.0c at the very least.

Wish I had a P4 to see how this game fares on it lol.

Victrix

*beard*

I'm running three casters, and honestly in Act 2 my Paladin is pretty much dead weight most of the time.

I may hit a point where I'm thankful I have someone with heavy armor/shield/warfare, but that hasn't happened yet.

Groups just explode in a shower of aoe damage, and anything more dangerous I have a wide variety of defensive and healing options.

Mana isn't much of an issue either, potions are cheap and restock daily at stores, and as you get more supplies as you get farther, and your mana reserves increase, you get more mileage out of each rest.

Gvaz

Banned
As I've posted earlier on in the thread, the game's actually not very demanding as long as you set your visual expectations correctly. Semi decent rigs from 5-6 years ago could probably run it on minimal settings. The cutoff point seems to be the Core 2 CPU (or it's AMD equivalent) and some ancient dedicated GPU from ATI/NVIDIA that supports DX9.0c at the very least.

Wish I had a P4 to see how this game fares on it lol.

My visual expectations is that when a game looks like that on minimal settings, even with my graphics card i should be getting like 120fps.

Victrix

*beard*
Any basic tips for someone new to the series? Going to go for a jog and then jump into this.

Spend some time looking over the masteries in the OP's chart and form a party that has a good spread of grandmastery abilities.

If you want to minmax, pick races that complement the classes you're choosing, if not, just pick em for their male/female voices (your party is very chatty, so be sure to pick voices you like)

Get someone with Primordial Magic to Expert rank asap, they can learn Identify, which will save you a big chunk of change

When exploring any sort of shop or npc, check the top of the screen - there many be other npcs you can talk to. This is very important for finding certain skill trainers.

You can raise ANY skill from untrained to trained when you level, not just the skills you picked at the start of the game.

Related, the starting skills just give you an initial skill point and the spells/weapon/armor associated with that skill. Don't hesitate to change to a different weapon or armor than the default for that class if it suits your party mix better.

Dark Magic has the detect secrets spell. While it is active, listen to your party members, they'll exclaim if they spot a nearby secret in a wall. Check the walls and you'll see a glowing golden outline indicating a secret passage.

If you don't take Dark Magic, there are npc allies and scrolls to detect them as well.

Different 'types' of secret passages require a different level of stat to break through (strength to smash walls, magic to dispel illusions, perception for mechanical doors, etc). If you don't have enough of a given stat, use temporary buffs from shrines, npc allies, or spells to get through.

You can mark notes on the automap by clicking on it. You can move with the automap up.

You can only move in combat if you are not engaged in melee. Try to avoid getting stuck in melee if there are ranged enemies nearby, move in such a way that they're forced to come to you.

Think that's about all. The game starts a little slow, but stick with it, it opens up very quickly.

KePoW

Banned
Spend some time looking over the masteries in the OP's chart and form a party that has a good spread of grandmastery abilities.

If you want to minmax, pick races that complement the classes you're choosing, if not, just pick em for their male/female voices (your party is very chatty, so be sure to pick voices you like)

Get someone with Primordial Magic to Expert rank asap, they can learn Identify, which will save you a big chunk of change

When exploring any sort of shop or npc, check the top of the screen - there many be other npcs you can talk to. This is very important for finding certain skill trainers.

You can raise ANY skill from untrained to trained when you level, not just the skills you picked at the start of the game.

Related, the starting skills just give you an initial skill point and the spells/weapon/armor associated with that skill. Don't hesitate to change to a different weapon or armor than the default for that class if it suits your party mix better.

Dark Magic has the detect secrets spell. While it is active, listen to your party members, they'll exclaim if they spot a nearby secret in a wall. Check the walls and you'll see a glowing golden outline indicating a secret passage.

If you don't take Dark Magic, there are npc allies and scrolls to detect them as well.

Different 'types' of secret passages require a different level of stat to break through (strength to smash walls, magic to dispel illusions, perception for mechanical doors, etc). If you don't have enough of a given stat, use temporary buffs from shrines, npc allies, or spells to get through.

You can mark notes on the automap by clicking on it. You can move with the automap up.

You can only move in combat if you are not engaged in melee. Try to avoid getting stuck in melee if there are ranged enemies nearby, move in such a way that they're forced to come to you.

Think that's about all. The game starts a little slow, but stick with it, it opens up very quickly.

thanks for these sweet kick butt tipz!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In case anyone is wondering, I purchased the deluxe version from steam today and initially M&M6 didn't show up in my library but a few hours later and it's there. I'm downloading it now.

Don't know which game to start with! lol

Yeah, it was added about 7 hours ago:

about 7 hours ago Added Might & Magic VI to the package

It's not a repeat of Rayman 2 after all! Unless the sub is replaced later with a M&MVI-free one.

Top Bottom