• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Shaldome

The expert axe trainer is in the first town in the training center. Make sure you click on the other guys portrait while in the training center to get his training options.

Ah, thank you. Wonder how I missed it, as it's the same guy who is Expert Sword trainer.

Loving it so far. Huge flashbacks to MM3 which was the first part of the series which I played together with a friend of mine.

Dwarf Defender
Human Freemage
Elven Bladedancer
Human Crusader

is what I am playing with. But I desperately need another Light Magic User.
And Celestial Armor is a boon I must say.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Unity isn't a problem, it's a perfectly good game engine not known for poor performance. But this does seem like a budget game where Ubisoft wouldn't throw much optimization effort behind.

Unity tanks on large open worlds like this, it's absolutely Unity's problem.

Sinatar

Respawns depends on what M&M your talking about. In 3-5 monster respawns were produced by monster lairs that were scattered around the world, destroy those and the enemies stopped respawning. Dungeons never respawned as far as I know.

In 6-8 they were seasonal, I can't remember the exact timeframe but it was pretty long, like a year of game time or something like that.

Durante

Unity isn't a problem, it's a perfectly good game engine not known for poor performance. But this does seem like a budget game where Ubisoft wouldn't throw much optimization effort behind.
Well, Unity is not known for poor performance in typical Unity games, which aren't generally huge open world RPGs woth decent assets.

Personally I had no performance problems so far, but I'm running it on what's still an upper mid-end system.

Sinatar

Anyone manage to get the bestiary quest in sorpigal working? I've got like 15-20 beastiary entries completed and it won't register that I've got the 10 needed for the first turn in.

Gurvon

Neo Member
Anyone manage to get the bestiary quest in sorpigal working? I've got like 15-20 beastiary entries completed and it won't register that I've got the 10 needed for the first turn in.

I think it only counts the race of beasts, so for example if you have the giant spider and the silken spider it only counts as 1 entry (and bosses don't count)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I put about 5 hours in last night.

I'm torn on adventurer. I can pretty much breeze through every encounter, maybe hitting one "set up" encounter that is a bit tricky. However, the bosses are absolute beasts.

I really want more of a challenge in the game, but if the bosses are any harder on Warrior, it would probably drive me nuts.

I really wish there was a third difficulty added that made the normal encounters Warrior level and kept the bosses the same.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I started playing yesterday at 6pm and it is now 9:48am... I've never done this before in my life. What a great game, playing on warrior difficulty. I'm using blade dancer, crusader, freemage and rune priest. The blade dancer does most of the melee damage, the crusader casts the critical defensive spell celestial armor (this is a must in every fight) and the two mages cast other buffs debuffs and damage spells. It's amazing.

Durante

I started playing yesterday at 6pm and it is now 9:48am... I've never done this before in my life.
I wish I could do this, but I won't get the chance before tomorrow evening.

One thing is for sure: they managed to make a game that the intended target audience loves. I just hope it translates into sufficient success so that we get another one two years or so from now.

GameInformer posted their review, they gave it a 8.25

Might & Magic X: Legacy lives up to the quality of its long-lost predecessors. Despite streamlining and accessibility upgrades, it’s not a game for everyone. Turn-based grid walks are a rarity today and the title may feel a bit bizarre to those that never had a chance to experience 90’s era Might & Magic fare, but for those that have always wanted a legitimate heir to the classic series, Might & Magic X: Legacy provides.

Looks good. I'll probably pick it up.

M&M1-2: no respawns, random encounters everywhere
M&M3-5 and Swords of Xeen: monster lairs that respawned some enemies, destroy those and no respawns
M&M6-9: respawns based on game time - exactly as in Dragon's Dogma

Unity tanks on large open worlds like this, it's absolutely Unity's problem.

Is there a source for that, or is it just a prejudice against an engine initially marketed towards indie developers? Unity isn't perfect, I'll grant you that, but I don't know anything about it that would make it have poor performance in an open-world game. Its original design is really for level-based third person shooters, but its ability to load things asynchronously should make open-worlds easy to stream in.

AkuMifune

Banned
Got through the lighthouse last night with my crew. Ranger, Merc, RunePriest and Free Mage. Wish I had another freemage. She can't protect and kill everything on her own! Jeez. I'd be toast by now if I didn't have the light magic protection.

God, love this game already. This is my weekend in ruins. They had me at the first teleporter sound effect.

golem

Well, Unity is not known for poor performance in typical Unity games, which aren't generally huge open world RPGs woth decent assets.

Personally I had no performance problems so far, but I'm running it on what's still an upper mid-end system.

Sadly in the outdoors this game chokes on my 290X CF even with the AA turned down..

So, be honest: how does this compare to M&M 6 and M&M 7, arguably the pinnacle of the series. Is M&M 10 a mere shell of those games, or does it live up to their legacy?

AkuMifune

Banned
So, be honest: how does this compare to M&M 6 and M&M 7, arguably the pinnacle of the series. Is M&M 10 a mere shell of those games, or does it live up to their legacy?

Yikes that's a tough burden. I would say that while it's not as deep as 6 or 7, it's a worthy modern entry in the series that I would recommend to anyone who ever liked M&M.

It remains to be seen how linear it is, but at $25 I would say it's a steal for any old-school RPG fan.

Darkone

I put about 5 hours in last night.

I'm torn on adventurer. I can pretty much breeze through every encounter, maybe hitting one "set up" encounter that is a bit tricky. However, the bosses are absolute beasts.

I really want more of a challenge in the game, but if the bosses are any harder on Warrior, it would probably drive me nuts.

I really wish there was a third difficulty added that made the normal encounters Warrior level and kept the bosses the same.

I started on Warrior and i managed to kill the first boss with no one dead on the fifth try.
then i started on Adventurer and the difference of the normal monsters is big there was not much of a challenge comparing to Warrior, i am in a dilemma on what to play on.

White Man

Are there really only 4 non-respawning spiders before you have to fight the spider queen? I don't remember this problem in early access.

Mashing

Respawns depends on what M&M your talking about. In 3-5 monster respawns were produced by monster lairs that were scattered around the world, destroy those and the enemies stopped respawning. Dungeons never respawned as far as I know.

In 6-8 they were seasonal, I can't remember the exact timeframe but it was pretty long, like a year of game time or something like that.

No, it depended on the location. New Sorpigal for instance respawned in 6 months. Most locations were a year though.

Fugu

It's a maximum of two years with most areas taking a year and dungeons respawning independently of their overworld map.

Knurek

I forgot to ask, but how's the music in this one?
Not expecting anything like Yuzo Koshiro's Etrian Odyssey scores, but is there at least an Adlib emulator included?

Sinatar

I forgot to ask, but how's the music in this one?
Not expecting anything like Yuzo Koshiro's Etrian Odyssey scores, but is there at least an Adlib emulator included?

It's ok. A pretty generic fantasy score, no awesome opera like the older ones though.

AkuMifune

Banned
This guy seems to be dying an awful lot. Is he just bad (my line of thinking), has an unbalanced party or is the game actually this difficult?

He seems terrible. Not resting, not using magic enough, wasting potions on a turn when he could have used one before the encounter.

In the beginning at least each turn matters a ton. You need offensive magic early and maybe even protection. But it's not that hard if you approach it like a M&M game, but it is hard of you think you can just chug potions and melee away.

rybrad

Joystiq - 4/5
Even so, Might and Magic 10 plays so smoothly, with an elegant simplicity and almost effortless depth, that I can forgive its lack of story and indifferent graphical presentation. There's a common argument that pits the more complex/confusing conventions of older games against the accessible/"dumbed down" conventions of more recent fare, with one always good and the other always bad, depending on your point of view. Might and Magic 10: Legacy reveals just how irrelevant those arguments are. It's my new favorite installment in the series, and it offers a great example of how to update old-fashioned RPG mechanics for the present day.
I think the game is reviewing pretty well for being a niche title, I hope it does well.

marrec

Banned
Joystiq Review -

There's a common argument that pits the more complex/confusing conventions of older games against the accessible/"dumbed down" conventions of more recent fare, with one always good and the other always bad, depending on your point of view. Might and Magic 10: Legacy reveals just how irrelevant those arguments are. It's my new favorite installment in the series, and it offers a great example of how to update old-fashioned RPG mechanics for the present day.

4/5 stars.

CURSES BEATEN.

KePoW

Banned
Can you be okay with any 2 melee + any 2 ranged classes? (Adventurer difficulty)

For role-play reasons, there are certain races and classes I don't want to use.

AkuMifune

Banned
Wow, the game runs like crap outside. You guys weren't kidding, this is definitely not really optimized.

I did notice the AA options can severely effect performance. Which one you using? I have a 660ti and I think FXAA1B seems to provide least pop-in/best performance, but I should mess with them some more.

I still have some screen tearing though.

Carm

So, I'm trying to figure out if my game is bugged more than usual. I finished up castle portmeyron and moved on to the next place. While in the castle I found a note. Finish castle, walk outside and the letter pops up on the right of the screen below:

wIQb4Go.jpg

Now, this icon only pops up outside in the world, in dungeons it seems to disappear and the city it disappears. Reading over the quests, I didn't see anything saying I had to deliver it anywhere.

As for other bugs, I loaded the a little bit ago, moved in the next area over the bridge that was blocked and I suddently couldn't save/load. I'd click the buttons but nothing would happen. The entire interface for saving/loading is very slow to react even previous sessions.

desverger

Finally decided my starting party. It's going to be:

Elf Bladedancer
Dwarf Defender
Human Freemage
Dwarf Runepriest

I pretty much have every skill covered, with the exception of Two-handed, and ranged skills (bow, x-bow and arcane discipline are all going to be left at Expert stage). Like previous M&M games, I'm going to try and cover all the skills and specialize into them with each character.

If anyone's interested, here's the intended skill specialization for each class:

Bladedancer: Dagger, Sword, Dual Wield, Dodge, Endurance
Defender: Mace, Axe, Heavy Armor, Shield, Warfare
Freemage: Magical Focus, Mysticism, Water, Air, Dark, Primordial
Runepriest: Magical Focus, Light, Mysticism, Fire, Earth

Dwarf power!

edit: fixed some mistakes

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Before playing this game: I cannot wait to play this!
While beginning the game: Well, this isn't very good.

3 hours later: One more quest. One more quest, then I can go pee.

It certainly could've used some more time for optimization, but man, is this thing addictive. I just picked classes at random, so I have a crusader that doesn't seem to hit anything (but soaks up damage well enough), but other than that my party is rock solid. I have a feeling I'm going to be playing this for a long, long time. It's perfect for pick up and play and has enough substance for lengthy play sessions. It's wildly unbalanced, but that's part of the charm. I still only managed to die twice (at a lighthouse, if you've played that part you know where) so even with the difficulty spikes, it's manageable if you take your time.

Gothos

Finally decided my starting party. It's going to be:

Elf Bladedancer
Dwarf Defender
Human Freemage
Dwarf Runepriest

I pretty much have every skill covered, with the exception of Two-handed, and ranged skills (bow, x-bow and arcane discipline are all going to be left at Expert stage). Like previous M&M games, I'm going to try and cover all the skills and specialize into them with each character.

If anyone's interested, here's the intended skill specialization for each class:

Bladedancer: Dagger, Sword, Dual Wield, Dodge, Endurance
Defender: Mace, Axe, Heavy Armor, Shield, Warfare
Freemage: Magical Focus, Mysticism, Water, Air, Dark, Primordial
Runepriest: Magical Focus, Spear, Mysticism, Fire, Earth

Dwarf power!

You're missing Light school and its awesome Celestial Armor.

rybrad

That one matches my perspective pretty well. It has a great, modern UI with great old-school gameplay. I think the only thing that bothers me is that trainers might as well be automatically tracked in your journal.

I hope Original Sin pans out in the end as well... I really want this concept of taking everything we've learned about good interface design and applying it to gameplay that leaves a lot of room for player agency and good mechanics.
Original Sin has been pretty solid from what I have played in the Alpha so far. I don't want to play too much and spoil the experience but I have faith in Larian delivering the goods for Original Sin.

Top Bottom