• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Busaiku

I would've liked a Beck plushie, but it still makes the choice to go to $250 that much more enticing...
I wish I had money right now.

Azure J

ZazsG6B.jpg

Damn.

=/

Kuro

funny, coming from someone who also has Vita in the list of systems it should come to instead.

It would actually sell on the Vita. Games like Guacamelee and Retro City Rampage probably made more profit than some third party games that came out on Wii U.

Why are you acting like only mentioned Vita when there's like four platforms in my original post? I even mentioned the 3DS.

I think they picked the wrong platforms. I said 360 and Wii U. Not everything is console wars. Chill.
Your chosen platforms just dont make any sense..You left some platforms out that didnt even need to be out. Why include PS4 but not Xbox one? Just all around silly

Squire

Banned
Your chosen platforms just dont make any sense..You left some platforms out that didnt even need to be out. Why include PS4 but not Xbox one? Just all around silly

I have "XB1" written right there in my post. No edits or anything, goofball ;)

Edit: Ohhhhh, I didn't. I meant to write XB1. Genuine mistake. My bad.

That's why I mentioned 360 though. MS has clearly moved on from the platform. Titles of this scale would be better promoted and have more breathing room on XB1. I'd say the same for PS4 vs PS3, but Sony is clearly still putting a bit of support into that system.

.la1n

Easy to back this, I have complete faith in the team to do a mega man type game justice. Hoping to at least get a Mac version, at this point my MacBook Pro is in better shape to run newer games than my out of date PC.

Sales-wise, of course. Sony's positioned Vita as a home for indie games though. Nintendo's not done the same for Wii U.

I mean, the proof is in the pudding. Are there as many indie games on or coming to Wii U as Vita?

Have you not noticed how often Wii U versions have been a stretch goal for Kickstarter games (and subsequently been met)? There's dozens, I'd say at least 30-40, indie games slated for release on Wii U via that route alone.

The fact that the system has so often been a stretch goal or included as part of standard Kickstarter campaigns, along with several other well-publicized aspects of indie development on the Wii U (free Unity license, etc.), suggests that Nintendo has positioned the Wii U as a home for indie games as well.

Of course, many of these games being presently unreleased, it will be seen in the coming year how receptive the audience is to those games, and how profitable they are for their developers.

sn00zer

so what is to prevent Capcom from suing the shit out of them, because it looks a hell of a lot like mega man (yes I know Inafune made mega man)

Considering Capcom wouldn't let him make Mega Man, makes sense he would want the freedom to make a similar game, even if he can't use the IP.
Yeah, Mega Man still has a number of fans, and if Capcom isn't interested in doing anything with him (outside the occasional fighting game cameo), then this is the next best thing.

In regards to release time and price: it's possible they're still looking to hire additional talent, but won't know how much they'll need until the Kickstarter is finished. The screens we have so far are just concept art, so it seems they're still very early in the design stages. Spring 2015 (18-20 months) isn't an unreasonable time frame, in that case. And if the people working on this want a living wage, then the price of the Kickstarter will need to be a pretty significant.

so what is to prevent Capcom from suing the shit out of them, because it looks a hell of a lot like mega man (yes I know Inafune made mega man)

Just because it looks similar doesn't mean they can sue. Ghost Song has been going on strong without being sued for example.

Cartman86

Banned

Same thing that prevents every other person who makes a "spiritual successor" or mobile clones from being sued. If it doesn't use any assets or names there is really nothing that can be done.

zroid

Banned

I don't know, but I can tell you that Capcpom's lawyers are definitely looking into it as we speak. If they can find a way, they will.

Backed!. If this is a 2015 game, the platforms make very little sense to me, let's hope they get a lot of money and the support of a big publisher to go the extramile.

So they want $900.000 between the west (kickstarter) and Japan (their own site)?. Or $900.000 each?.

Finalizer

I scroll down to read the Kickstarter page for a moment, scroll back up and the total funded is up by 10 grand.

Dis gun b gud

Thorakai

I wouldn't be surprised to see Capcom get off their asses and fund their own Mega Man game if this project manages to meet it's stretch goals.

jwhit28

There's already platform arguing even though it will most likely be on every current console and PC...

So do the powers come from every enemy like Kirby or just bosses like Megaman?

Kikujiro

If Capcom tries to C&D this they will get the worst hate from the internet, I can only imagine. They won't do it, it would be a PR disaster.

sn00zer

Capcom: What's a Mega Man?

They're not using any copyrighted material, or lifting assets directly from another game.

Just because it looks similar doesn't mean they can sue. Ghost Song has been going on strong without being sued for example.

Same thing that prevents every other person who makes a "spiritual successor" or mobile clones from being sued. If it doesn't use any assets or names there is really nothing that can be done.

I don't know, but I can tell you that Capcpom's lawyers are definitely looking into it as we speak. If they can find a way, they will.

normally i would say the massive PR hit, but then i remembered we're talking about Capcom.
6VObyNj.png

I mean...jeez...that obviously gutsman, willy, roll, and rush

McLovin

Alright! I just funded my first kickstarter :D
I was really bummed when Legends got canned, hopefully if this works out his next game will be a spiritual successor to it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Capcom get off their asses and fund their own Mega Man game if this project manages to meet it's stretch goals.

This is more likely, if they wanted to be assholes about it they could farm another Mega Man DD title just in time for this game's release.

GolazoDan

Never contributed to a Kickstarter before. That might change here. One, fuckin mega man but not actually mega man, dudes. Two, 8-4. Three, PHIL THEOBALD.

Would piss myself if Capcom tried to weave together some rival Mega Man game though. Some monstrosity wearing the skin of the great man.

AutumnAve

I'm really glad that people are so hyped about Mighty No. 9. Listening to the reaction from the folks at the panel was amazing. The response on the Kickstarter page is blowing my mind.

As for the budget/timeframe, I know the dev team spent a lot of time going over things and making all sorts of adjustments in order to come up with realistic expectations for both. The last thing they want to do is end up running out of money before the game is finished or not being able to meet their expected launch date.

And yes, for those who listen to Player One Podcast, this is indeed the project that I'm working on with 8-4.

Congrats Phil!

Famassu

900k for 6 levels and only one platform release? Either the levels are quite big or I dunno... Do the numbers really match here?

Top Bottom