• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

so what is to prevent Capcom from suing the shit out of them, because it looks a hell of a lot like mega man (yes I know Inafune made mega man)

They won their case against Fighter's History I think it was, this honestly looks even closer to its inspiration at least conceptually, so who knows, they may do it.

I don't understand, you have creative freedom outside of Capcom and you make the same game with a new name? I'm disappointed.

My first thought was actually, "and why did he leave Capcom again?" but I decided not to say anything :p

He's certainly been busy with different stuff already though.

Anyways, there's no way I can back Shovel Knight and not this.

its freaking megaman o_o

there is bound to be some legal problems, similarity in concept of art and background is far too similar.

6VObyNj.png

I mean...jeez...that obviously gutsman, willy, roll, and rush

Well since it's just concept art Capcom can't really prove anything until the game is complete.

Darkroronoa

Wow this is great!The concept art looks amazing,cant wait for this,just 1 and a half year waiting but it will worth it,i believe!

55k already,i hope it reaches all the streach goals.

Cartman86

Banned
Backed!. If this is a 2015 game, the platforms make very little sense to me, let's hope they get a lot of money and the support of a big publisher to go the extramile.

So they want $900.000 between the west (kickstarter) and Japan (their own site)?. Or $900.000 each?.

Nah it looks like the Japanese version of the site links back to the English Kickstarter when you try to back it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Capcom has no case here, closest they can get is that this is a parody. Would be shocked at legal action, you cant copyright having a robot dog sidekick or gameplay ideas like taking enemy powers.

If Capcom tries to C&D this they will get the worst hate from the internet, I can only imagine. They won't do it, it would be a PR disaster.

You mean like all the other actual Mega Man games they cancelled or never brought to full development at all? The same company that brought you the DLC debacle on SFxT, and thought that they could make RE6 the best selling game in company history?

You underestimate them. :p

McLovin

6VObyNj.png

I mean...jeez...that obviously gutsman, willy, roll, and rush
So what, Capcom wasn't going to do anything with them anyway. Its probably the only way to get a good megaman like game out. Capcom could probably sue if they really wanted to, but they will really piss off their fans and I don't think its worth the negative pr.

Fou-Lu

I need it. It amuses me that some people are getting upset how much the designs resemble Mega Man, your point?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't know, but I can tell you that Capcpom's lawyers are definitely looking into it as we speak. If they can find a way, they will.
If their lawyers are anything like Capcpom I doubt they'll be good at noticing the finer details. :D

TwelveMind

Neo Member
Did my part and pledged $20! May opt for the next tier depending on how its progress go. For those who pledged $60, I don't believe you're getting a physical copy of the game but rather game box and printed manual... The full game is still digital download. Hope you guys read the kickstarter page carefully because it'd be a shame for people to get upset when it's said and done. This project is too awesome to pass up!!

Chucker

I've never backed a project faster than this. The Mega Man 2 ending shot at the end of the video hit the feels button hard.

shira

Isn’t $900K a little cheap for the game you are promising?
Good question! Let us guess—you’ve worked in the game industry? :) Yes, it’s true—our internal estimates for the full production cost of this game are greater than our initial goal, especially once you take out the fees and reward costs. But that’s OK! Both Comcept and Inti Creates have the resources to forgo full funding to make this project happen, since both companies will benefit more than they would in a typical publisher-funded setup once the game releases. To put it simply, if enough fans are excited about this game to hit our initial goal, then we, the companies developing this game, are willing to put up more of our own money as well, right along there with you.

So, no, this is not a case where the initial goal is set irresponsibly low, risking everything in the hopes that the Kickstarter campaign will pay off over expectations and get us where we secretly, actually need to be financially. We do understand that concern, though, and kept it in mind when carefully setting our initial funding goal. More money over the initial goal would be wonderful—don’t get us wrong! :)—in that it could potentially reduce what our companies have to shoulder up front, and of course more importantly make for a lot more features and platforms and other stuff we’d love to see happen. But we have run the numbers and we are fully confident that, should we hit our initial goal and nothing more, we can make a great game that fulfills the promise of this project, both for our backers and for anyone else who plays the game.

By the way—if you have some spare time, you mind talking to any folks you might happen to see ask the next question? :)
Isn’t $900K a little expensive for the game you are promising?
Funny you should ask—you mind talking to any folks you see asking the question above? :)

Seriously, despite the fact that it’s a 2D game with its roots in the classic games of yesteryear, Mighty No. 9 is a full-scale production, being undertaken by professional developers—level and character designers, musicians, programmers—all with years and years of experience, who didn’t quit their jobs to make this project; in fact, it’s the companies they work for that are helping to make this happen! As mentioned elsewhere, the two primary collaborators on this project—Comcept and Inti Creates—are both indie developers willing to shoulder some of the budget in return for the profits once this game comes to market, but we still need a good amount of cash up front to make this happen. (It’s hard to think about awesome boss attack patterns when you are wondering if you will make the rent next month.)

In short, we can understand the question, but believe it or not, this is actually a very cheap minimum bar to set for this team and this project, especially after fees and reward costs are taken out. We set it as low as we could to make it happen, because we really, REALLY want to make sure it happens!

Dat 2.7 million console release stretch goal

Poyunch

Z8jPLwf.jpg

Voting for Call's design is bringing back memories of MML3. At least this time it will most likely not end up not existing.

El Sloth

Banned
well of course i want another 2d side-scroller by inafune and the more kickstarters from japanese game designers the better... but they really need to sort their shit and be more efficient like western indie developers...almost a milion dollar and a release date of 2015 for a 2d side-scroller? really ?
It's not that absurd if they are starting from scratch. Year and a half/two years is not that crazy of a timeframe to make a competent Mega Man-style game.

gunstarhero

Went for the hardcover book, poster, etc. By 2015 I wont even care hopefully! LOL.

Scotch was a great idea before stumbling on this BTW.

I don't know how well it's trending at the moment, but I wouldn't worry all that much. This isn't Shadow of the Eternals.

This will definitely reach the goal imo. Excellent team with a proven record, and a spiritual successor to a much successful franchise.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This honestly feels a little bit too shameless for me to personally support. A 2015 date helps too.

But then I guess its Capcom's own fault? I mean christ, this is BAD for business. Like, really bad.

TrueBlue

This is obviously a front for a new Mega Man game. Capcom must have got Inafune back on side, and not wanting to spend too much on the project, have gone to Kickstarter. It'll be announced as a Mega Man game when that goal is reached, book it.

I kid, I kid.

IrishNinja

I'm really glad that people are so hyped about Mighty No. 9. Listening to the reaction from the folks at the panel was amazing. The response on the Kickstarter page is blowing my mind.

As for the budget/timeframe, I know the dev team spent a lot of time going over things and making all sorts of adjustments in order to come up with realistic expectations for both. The last thing they want to do is end up running out of money before the game is finished or not being able to meet their expected launch date.

And yes, for those who listen to Player One Podcast, this is indeed the project that I'm working on with 8-4.

that's awesome, man! get that work Phil

This honestly feels a little bit too shameless for me to personally support. A 2015 date helps too.

But then I guess its Capcom's own fault? I mean christ, this is BAD for business. Like, really bad.

pie & beans always bringin that positivity

Ishida

Banned
This reminds me of what happened with Monolith and Squaresoft back in the day.

Monolith developed Xenogears, to which Squaresoft aquired the rights. After Monolith separated from Squaresoft they could no longer use the Xenogears IP, so they basically created a "spiritual successor" in the form of Xenosaga, with characters, themes, music, all very reminiscent of the original game.

This pretty much seems like the same case. Keiji leaves Capcom without the rights to the Mega Man IP, so he basically "reboots" it as a new franchise.

For some reason, Mean Ol' Number Nine from Schoolhouse Rock is playing in my head when I saw this.

It looks interesting...I would like to see more to be honest.

Duxxy3

You mean like all the other actual Mega Man games they cancelled or never brought to full development at all? The same company that brought you the DLC debacle on SFxT, and thought that they could make RE6 the best selling game in company history?

You underestimate them. :p

And look how their financials have turned up. A bad reputation goes a long way.

Top Bottom