• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
0137680001280969161.png

You start in a massive, randomly generated world, and pretty much do whatever you want. The hook is that you can burrow into any surface, as well as build anything out of the materials you mine.

There are random mobs running around which drop unique items, a day night cycle, gardening, farming, livestock, crafting... and every week the guy is adding more.

Multiplayer is now in the game, in a rudimentary form. You can connect to a persistent server, mine resources, and build structures with other players. There are no mobs or persistent inventories as of yet, however. Notch said these will be added very soon.

If you played the previous free version, the new "alpha" build is much more structured, requiring you to gather resources and craft them into building blocks and various weapons/armor.

Some screens (EDIT: Replaced with some great stuff GAFFERs have found and made):

4786855850_168b7ca134_b.jpg

TowerofSand.png

bridgeview2.png

minecraftsmall.jpg

MCnewhome1.jpg

2dhz76a.png

30392dd.jpg

The website:

http://minecraft.net/

You can check out the free version there, but the 10 euro (about $12 US) Alpha (which is called "Survival") is what contains the real game... which includes all the stuff I mentioned above. There are PC, Mac, Linux and Browser-based builds.

IMPORTANT: The game is currently 10 euro(around 12-13 US $), but will go up to 25 euro in the near future (most likely when multiplayer is implemented). So grab it while you can while it's half price!

For GAF multiplayer servers, please refer to the OP in this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403071

It can be a bit confusing to figure out, so here are some starter guides:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17013

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17021

And the crafting section of the Wiki (definitely needed, just keep this up in your browser as you play):

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

EASY QUICKSTART GUIDE FOR NEW MINECRAFTERS BY ME

As soon as you start your world, find the nearest tree, stand next to it's wooden trunk, point at it, and hold down the left mouse button. You will punch the tree until it breaks, and a wood chunk will fly out that you collect by standing near it. Continue punching the tree until you've destroyed all the wood blocks and collected them all. Note that you can punch pretty far from where you're standing, so just keep looking up and punching.

Once you have all this wood, press "i" to bring up your inventory. Place the wood blocks from your quickbar into any of the crafting squares. To the right, you'll notice that planks will appear. Right click on these planks until you've converted all the wood into planks, then put them in your inventory.

Place 1 plank unit in each of the 4 crafting squares, and it will make a work bench. Put this workbench on one of your quickslots (the bottom-most row of slots).

Now, place 3 plank blocks on the upper left crafting square, and 3 plank blocks on the lower left crafting square. You will see a stick appear in the right most box. Right click this 3 times to create 12 sticks. Put these in your inventory.

Now, press the hotkey (1-9) where you placed your workbench. This will put it in your hand. Right click on the floor in front of you, and this will place the workbench.

Right click on the placed workbench. This is the main crafting device in the game. As you can see, there is now a 3x3 grid with which you can now craft in, allowing for more complex devices to be made.

Place 1 stick in the middle bottom square, 1 stick in the center square, and 1 plank in each of the top squares. This will create a wooden pick axe. Drag this into one of your quickslots.

Now you're ready to mine! Make a note of where you came into the world, as when you die you will return here and have to make your way back to wherever you came from. Now, wander around the world looking for coal. Coal looks like a regular gray stone block with black splotches on it. Once you find some of this, mine as much as you can by holding the left mouse button over the block with your wooden pickaxe equipped.

Once you gather a few coal, open your inventory and place a few sticks in the bottom left crafting box and some coal in the upper left crafting box. This will make 4 torches. Put these into your inventory.

This will get you set to build a house, which you will need built before nightfall. I tend to burrow into a mountain side, and make a small cave with which to hide out in. Consult the above crafting wiki on how to make a door, or you can just fill in the door with dirt/rocks at night to keep the baddies out.

For every brick you destroy, you gather whatever the brick was made out of in your inventory. Put these bricks on some hot keys, select them, and right-click to place them. This is how you build structures.

Now prepare for your life to be sucked away.

And, finally, the creator of one of the most important game created in the past five years, Notch:

cCpUV.jpg

Personally, I can't stop playing it.

Clevinger

There's not all that much "game" stuff to it yet, as I think he just started getting serious about that aspect. For now, it's basically a big building sandbox with a little game-y stuff on the side. If people want something even remotely similar to Dwarf Fortress, they're probably going to have to wait a few years.

But as a sandbox game, it's currently awesome. Especially in multiplayer.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I bought Minecraft probably a good 4 months ago now?
Fucking love it. The amount of updates Notch puts in is crazy at the moment.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Fantastic game. I bought it almost instantly when I read the description and watched a few vids... I didn't even try the free classic mode beforehand. The amazing potential this game has sold me on it. If anyone is even remotely interested, buy it now. Once the game goes alpha he will double the price.

I've been having a ton of fun with survival so far just seeing what kind of crazy stuff I can discover below the surface before traversing my vast network of manmade tunnels back to my enormous mountain fortress. Then I do some gardening.

EDIT: Insane randomly generated world flythrough

Brannon

It really is great. Definitely have the crafting wiki open, though.

Best thing about that flythrough? It doesn't even show the stuff that's UNDER the land. Massive caves and tunnels, and the things that creep underneath...

EVH

Boats. Boats Everywhere.

Love this game. Looks shitty when you see it, but once you played it, you love it and consequences will never be the same.

Bought it some months ago. I enjoyed building structures using the world of minecraft client to fly and have turbo a lot more than the actual game mode. Reminded me of how much I loved playing with Lego as a kid.

Firehead

Neuromancer said:
Are those... Voxels???
Indeed, they are! You can also call them "awesome". 'Cause you can re-skin them to make them look GameBoy-like!
TiImq.png

I'm glad someone finally made a thread for this, thanks.

Also, here's this:
0hyik.png

Made with "MineCraft Classic" with no knowledge of pixel art! And you can do it, too!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Mafro said:
Bought it earlier today. Crashes after five minutes, everytime.

What OS? In-browser or client? What kind of graphics card? How does it crash?

I've had zero problems with it, and haven't heard anyone else run into it crashing after 5 minutes...

_Bro

Banned
What I don't like is that the game is such a system hog that I can't use the in-browser client because chrome uses too much memory. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
So is this like Blockland or something? And there's multiplayer, right?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
EvaPlusMinus said:
So is this like Blockland or something? And there's multiplayer, right?

It's a bit like blockland, but there's way more of a game in it.

It's kind of like first person Dwarf Fortress... and if you don't know what that is um...

It's like if you took Oblivion and mixed it with Animal Crossing and a city builder like Dawn of Discovery or SimCity...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Firehead said:
Indeed, they are! You can also call them "awesome". 'Cause you can re-skin them to make them look GameBoy-like!

Are they actually voxels? I don't think they are. I think it's just polygonal geometry. Just a whole lot of cubes.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
So if I enjoy building shit with friends online, I'd enjoy this ten dollar gem?

Firehead

FlyinJ said:
Are they actually voxels? I don't think they are. I think it's just polygonal geometry. Just a whole lot of cubes.
According to the wiki - "Minecraft uses a voxel system which is an incremental 3d grid in which each grid point holds a data for a single block."
Edit: So, I suppose they're "similar" to voxels, or something like that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
EvaPlusMinus said:
So if I enjoy building shit with friends online, I'd enjoy this ten dollar gem?

Multiplayer is not implemented yet, but it's very very close (within the month, according to the dev). And yes, you couldn't have a better environment than this to build in with your friends.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure when he is raising the price. He might bump it to $25 when the multiplayer update is released, so it's a good idea to grab it ASAP (and also support him... it looks like he's made enough on this thing to quit his job and work on it full time).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Firehead said:
According to the wiki - "Minecraft uses a voxel system which is an incremental 3d grid in which each grid point holds a data for a single block."
Edit: So, I suppose they're "similar" to voxels, or something like that.

Yeah, they are stored as voxels, but rendered as polygons. So a hybrid.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ah, this is an extremely helpful fact:

"A "compass" in the game is the clouds, because they always move North."

Brannon

You will in Classic mode, but in a couple or three weeks (four?), the creator may add survival multiplayer, and then... it's on.

May be a bug if you die in this latest update; you'll respawn, but the game will destabilize to, like, 1FPS. Solve this for now by getting NBT Edit and editing your save (change Deathtime to 0 and Health to 20).

Knowing the creator, he's probably working on fixing that right now because he just. Doesn't. Quit.

THIS BUG HAS BEEN FIXED. NO NEED FOR NBT EDIT.

Minecraft Alpha 1.0.6_01

* Fixed stuttering after death bug
* Leaves decay again when not connected to either the ground or to a tree trunk
* Tweaked monster and animal spawning a bit. The game probably is quite a bit more difficult now.
* Boats can be placed on land, and won’t break if you hit land unless you’re going above a certain speed
* Boats spawn water splash particles only when going fast enough to break
* Boats turn much nicer

Back on the game, just generated the greatest, most epic landscape to date. Lava and waterfalls, towering cliffs with natural bridges, huge, open, DARK caves that sound like they have tons of treasure and monsters inside.

THIS is where my kingdom shall be risen!

Dineren

Banned
This game is pretty amazing, the price is a steal. The best part of it in my opinion is that anyone can create something in it. It's incredibly easy to build structures and carve out bases. It also doesn't require you to grind for hours to build stuff like boats, weapons, and armor. It's great for people who like just exploring. I carved out a small tunnel for a base of operations and just started digging down to look for ore and I eventually opened a tunnel to a huge cavern full of monsters and ore. For such simple graphics it's an oddly atmospheric game, especially when the light of your last torch begins to dim and the dark tunnels continue. You just never know what you're going to find.

The death bug is a pretty big pain at the moment, but as Brannon mentions, there is a workaround and it will no doubt be fixed quickly.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dineren said:
For such simple graphics it's an oddly atmospheric game, especially when the light of your last torch begins to dim and the dark tunnels continue. You just never know what you're going to find.

That coupled with the absolutely terrifying monster sounds and whatever that "ambient cave" noise is. It almost reaches Looking Glass heights of terror and immersion.

Blizzard

Banned
I've been building on a server with the free version. I feel iffy buying an alpha version but I guess I will probably try it. I'm sad to hear about the crashing and whatnot issues, which may be issues since it's made in Java (and actually works kinda impressively well with huge buildings and multiplayer stuff).

On the server I usually play on, something like just another minecraft server, some buildings are HUUUUUGE. I've spent a couple of days working on my first kinda big building.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Brannon said:
THIS is where my kingdom shall be risen!

Notch said himself not to get too attached to your saves. They may not be compatible once it goes beta.

But hell, half the fun is building up from scratch right? :D

epmode said:
So does the waypoint/restore feature work in the alpha? Works fine in the earlier versions.

No it doesn't work in the current build because it kind of breaks the game the way it's currently structured. It's a good idea to leave waypoints around the map when you explore so you can find your way back, plus you can always use the direction the sun is moving to get your bearings. Some people have even built a rail system from their respawn point to their base to get back quickly.

EVH

So Notch just said on twitter that he is already working to fix the respawn death bug and the tree bug too. :D

Mafro

FlyinJ said:
What OS? In-browser or client? What kind of graphics card? How does it crash?

I've had zero problems with it, and haven't heard anyone else run into it crashing after 5 minutes...
Win7 64 bit, client, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT.

The screen goes black, the window becomes unresponsive and Java crashes. There's a lot of people suffering the same problem on the official forums, but no solution yet.

Razorskin

----- ------
Man I love digging tunnels, I like how the the farther from the entrance the darker it gets, forces me to create some light tunnels.

epmode

Played for a bit. Seems fun.

The game could really use an automated workshop though. Maybe allow you to just choose a recipe from a menu after you discover it? You know, rather than having to manually place the ingredients into each slot every time.

OMG Aero

So what does the downloadable version of the game actually consist of? I've seen videos before of people have infinite amounts of blocks and just messing around making pixel art but the forum links I've read in here make it sound like the version you buy now only has the mode where you have to survive against the monsters.

I am so glad we have this thread now. This is one of the most fun games I have ever played. It really nails the spirit of "do anything, go anywhere". You really feel like you're exploring since the land is random (and amazing...I've never seen random generation look this good). It also adds fear to exploring caves as no one has ever been down there.

This game has pseudo dynamic lighting, water and lava that can be moved with buckets and it flows into underground waterfalls and springs, farming, mini-dungeons that are rare in caves, fully customizable characters, and the list goes on...Every Friday the guy updates with new stuff. Just in the last two weeks we've gotten a winter biome where it constantly snows and covers everything and water freezes. You can make snowballs and snow blocks and build whatever you want out of it. Just yesterday we got cactus and boats (Thanks to luka for linking to my video). This week it's thought that the multiplayer might come out so you and your friends can pillage the country side together.

Basically, if you even remotely like sandbox games, building or customizing, exploring, or just a screw around game then this is for you. Want to play with friends? Even better. There are two free versions to try on the site, but they hardly compare to the $10 version. If you got even a moment of joy from the free versions just buy the full game. For $10 you get all the awesome stuff out now, plus the tons of new content coming out EACH WEEK.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So will the game get enemies and AI at some point? I'd love to fall into a cave with running water and all of a sudden be faced with skeletons or whatever. This game could be a childhood dream of mine.

epmode

Lyphen said:
So will the game get enemies and AI at some point? I'd love to fall into a cave with running water and all of a sudden be faced with skeletons or whatever. This game could be a childhood dream of mine.
Good news then: Enemies are already in the game.

They usually only come out at night but they also like dark spaces (caves).
OMG Aero said:
So what does the downloadable version of the game actually consist of? I've seen videos before of people have infinite amounts of blocks and just messing around making pixel art
That's an old version of the game. More specifically, it's the Create mode of the game. The programmer guy is now working on a Sruvival mode which is known as the Alpha.

When the game is finally out of beta, there will be a full Create mode, if that's what you're interested in.

Razorskin

----- ------
Where can I find the black stuff to make torches? So far I got plenty of wood and make a workbench and a chest. I keep making tunnels but find nothing, even a cave I found was empty but had some creepy music playing inside.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Razorskin said:
Where can I find the black stuff to make torches? So far I got plenty of wood and make a workbench and a chest. I keep making tunnels but find nothing, even a cave I found was empty but had some creepy music playing inside.

You need to find coal veins. You can find it by just digging down and mining, but the best way is to walk around the overland until you see some jutting out of a cliff side. Look for exposed stone. The coal texture looks like stone but with black specks on it.

In order for coal to appear when you destroy it's brick, you must be using a stone or better pickaxe. To get better metals to appear from hitting their block, you must have the metal below it on your pickaxe. The mineral order is wood, stone, coal, iron, silver, gold, diamond. So, for example, a gold pickaxe will be able to mine stone, coal, iron and silver. If you hit an iron block with a wood pickaxe, nothing will come out.

Coal is absolutely vital to find immediately, as you need torches to mine. The first thing I do when making a new world is trek until I see some coal exposed, then mine it, then establish my first camp/mine nearby.

Also, keep in mind: more precious minerals (iron, silver, gold, diamond) only exist below sea level, so you'll rarely if never see a vein exposed from wandering around the overworld. It must be found in mines or exploring caves.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Also, I just read on Notch's twitter (the developer) that he just released a patch that fixed the framerate bug after dying that was introduced in yesterday's update.

He also made boats less fragile so they don't get destroyed as easy, and adjusted the enemy spawn rates so the game is a bit harder. Reinforce your houses/caves/mines at night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom