• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. This game has real best game ever potential. Seriously. In a way this is a game I've been waiting for for the past 20 years. Maybe I'm still on the honeymoon, but the fact that the dude is developing it full time now has me really excited. My only hope is that the "game" stuff doesn't overtake the building aspect too much, but it doesn't seem like it will. There's always classic mode anyway.

In any case thank you for making this thread-- totally worth 14 bucks.

Apparently the guy is getting tough breaks regarding tax or fees or something regarding payment. I dunno what the deal is, seems like he's got a lot of customers, hopefully money is going his way.

Razorskin

----- ------
FlyinJ said:
You need to find coal veins. You can find it by just digging down and mining, but the best way is to walk around the overland until you see some jutting out of a cliff side. Look for exposed stone. The coal texture looks like stone but with black specks on it.

This? Because I'm hitting it but get nothing back.

Same here-- I keep hitting that stuff and getting nothing. Can't figure out how to make pickaxes either.

Edit:

Oh wait, I think I found it-- looks like this. I got a coal pebble from it (see pic)

iGgbs.jpg

I have a few big tests to finish tonight, then I'm going to buy this. :D

I've only played with the online create stuff, which was a lot of fun. New features all sound great.

Razorskin

----- ------
MomoPufflet said:
Same here-- I keep hitting that stuff and getting nothing. Can't figure out how to make pickaxes either.

Edit:

Oh wait, I think I found it-- looks like this. I got a coal pebble from it (see pic)

I was able to get the coal in my picture by makng a wooden pickaxe.

EDIT: dude thats not coal! its iron you got

epmode

I dug down down down down down and then died in a lava pit before realizing that I could just seal up the hole.

I'm liking this a lot although I still haven't found an underground cavern that isn't connected to the surface. And I could really use something stronger than a stone pickaxe. I'm burning through them far too quickly.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Seriously get using the crafting section of the wiki for starters.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Get a little base setup in a good spot not too far from the spawn and work from there with a furnace and a toolbench setup. Coal is obviously an early necessity as before you know it it becomes dark.

Also @ momo, you were digging at gravel, it occasionally gives you flint, which is what you found.

EVH

Also, destroying gravel is much faster if you use a shovel. Using a pickaxe with things like gravel, sand and dirt only causes pickaxe breaking faster.

If you have no shovel, use your empty hands.

Brannon

Details of current update...

Minecraft Alpha 1.0.6_01

* Fixed stuttering after death bug
* Leaves decay again when not connected to either the ground or to a tree trunk
* Tweaked monster and animal spawning a bit. The game probably is quite a bit more difficult now.
* Boats can be placed on land, and won’t break if you hit land unless you’re going above a certain speed
* Boats spawn water splash particles only when going fast enough to break
* Boats turn much nicer

I'm going to play this on Hard and see just how much I can handle.

Brannon

luka said:
Notch said himself not to get too attached to your saves. They may not be compatible once it goes beta.

But hell, half the fun is building up from scratch right? :D

Ah yes. Very well then. I'd better make the most of this land of Eden with the time I have left!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Razorskin said:

This? Because I'm hitting it but get nothing back.

Did you read my post? I went into detail on exactly what you need to do to get the minerals to appear from mineral blocks (and yes, that is coal. if you hit it with a stone or better pickaxe, it will produce coal). I'll repost it:

You need to find coal veins. You can find it by just digging down and mining, but the best way is to walk around the overland until you see some jutting out of a cliff side. Look for exposed stone. The coal texture looks like stone but with black specks on it.

In order for coal to appear when you destroy it's brick, you must be using a stone or better pickaxe. To get better metals to appear from hitting their block, you must have the metal below it on your pickaxe. The mineral order is wood, stone, coal, iron, silver, gold, diamond. So, for example, a gold pickaxe will be able to mine stone, coal, iron and silver. If you hit an iron block with a wood pickaxe, nothing will come out.

Coal is absolutely vital to find immediately, as you need torches to mine. The first thing I do when making a new world is trek until I see some coal exposed, then mine it, then establish my first camp/mine nearby.

Also, keep in mind: more precious minerals (iron, silver, gold, diamond) only exist below sea level, so you'll rarely if never see a vein exposed from wandering around the overworld. It must be found in mines or exploring caves.

This game is amazing. I join. Walk around, find some guys with nazi logo castles building something. I wreck their entire castle within 20 minutes and they all rage quit. They must have spent hours making this.

Griefers dream!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
MomoPufflet

iGgbs.jpg

That's not a coal pebble, it's a flint pebble. You can combine that with steel to make a flint and steel trap to catch creepers (and other things) on fire.

And those blocks are gravel, not coal. Sometimes gravel randomly produces flint.

EDIT: Also, are you digging with a bundle of wool? :lol

Brannon

You definitely need the crafting wiki.

If you can find some iron or steel, you can combine it with the flint and start fires. Find a forest and become the Joker; Everything Burns.

EDIT: Beaten.

Though they should really let you use Flint as arrowheads. I can't bear to waste my iron on arrows; that stuff is rare in the beginning!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Anyone with questions, again...

In the OP I put in three links. The first two are starter guides, and the third is the crafting wiki. They'll answer a ton of questions and set you down the right path when you first spawn into your world.

Blizzard

Banned
Visualante said:
This game is amazing. I join. Walk around, find some guys with nazi logo castles building something. I wreck their entire castle within 20 minutes and they all rage quit. They must have spent hours making this.

Griefers dream!
Yeah, it depends on the server. On the server I usually play on, one of the admins is like a 15-year-old kid who's on like 16 hours a day having nothing better to do in the summer, and they're really triggerhappy with bans. People can just keep making new accounts I think, but presumably most people still give up after a while.

And also on that server, once you impress the admins enough to earn builder rank, you can build in the areas that random internet people can't build in, so only an admin or builder can grief you.

I think some servers may also have commands to indicate who did what changes to the map, and the ability for admins etc. to undo the changes.

Huggy

So it will never be a single player game, where surviving is actually difficult? Does this game have a roadmap?

Blizzard

Banned
Huggy said:
So it will never be a single player game, where surviving is actually difficult? Does this game have a roadmap?
...it already is a singleplayer game, and apparently the most recent update just made it more difficult to survive, unless I'm misinterpreting something.

I will probably buy it but I'm not a fan of survival games unless there is actually some way to "win" or meet goals. :( Otherwise is it just a case of do it until it's too hard and then you die, like Tetris?

Huggy

Yes, I'm reading they've added arrow shooting skeletons and exploding zombies. Ok then, sounds hard enough.

Dineren

Banned
Blizzard said:
...it already is a singleplayer game, and apparently the most recent update just made it more difficult to survive, unless I'm misinterpreting something.

I will probably buy it but I'm not a fan of survival games unless there is actually some way to "win" or meet goals. :( Otherwise is it just a case of do it until it's too hard and then you die, like Tetris?

It's really not that difficult to survive, I've never encountered a situation yet you can't easily get out of. You might not end up with the ore you wanted, but you can easily build a wall to block enemies. Just remember creepers explode and can take out your walls. As long as you are using torches after you clear enemies out of an area they won't spawn there anymore so you are making progress each section of the cave you reach. Just try to find a source of coal before your first night and you'll be fine. If not, bury yourself in a hole and hope for the best. :lol

Cday

Banned

Started off as a small wooden room and expanded from there. Less generic looking on the inside. The spire has a ladder going from the second floor to the top and the platform at the top is unfinished since I fell to my death constructing it last night. Luckily I booted it up today to find that I wasn't hit by the respawn bug.

My main mine. The wood in the back is to mark where I started breaking through to the surface. It's so I know where not to dig since there are a few creepers and spiders dancing on top a few blocks away at all times.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
RadicalRad said:
I'm assuming this game doesn't need a beefy rig to play? My laptop isn't bad.. but it's not the best either.

that's a good joke, man

Travado

RadicalRad said:
I'm assuming this game doesn't need a beefy rig to play? My laptop isn't bad.. but it's not the best either.

My laptop is 2 years old (Turion 64X2 1.9 GHZ, 2 GB ram, Nvidia shitty integrated card) and I played Minecraft on it.

I got bad frame rate (20-25) in default settings, without fog, but with fog level 2 (the game looks more "beautiful") I got 90-120 frames, and I have only 64 ram allocated to video card.

Bought the game and I loved it, so much deep, too bad graphics are only "good". This game with 3D Dot Game Heroes graphics = instant sex.

Cday

Banned
The cartographer tool is pretty cool.

34q3abs.jpg

The blue squiggles are cave systems. The ones that are more faint are deeper. The bright yellow one is of the mine I posted earlier and it's bright yellow because it's above ground inside a mountain. The white blocks are treasure room locations.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13134

Make sure you download and install the C++ redistributable first or it will probably give you an error.

To get the locations of treasure rooms

- Build a circle or arrow so you can find your location easy
- Open cartograph
- Render with normal settings
- Drag/Drop from your cartographer folder into Paint.net
- Render again but this time in the box with "only" written next to it type 48
- Drag/Drop and add as layer
- Hit Shift+Ctrl+C and turn the brightness to 100

Make sure you do this to the "48 only" layer and make sure that layer is on top.

Max

I am not Max
15+ hours spent on this since yesterday after seeing this thread

stayed up till 3 in the morning last night

thanks

Blizzard

Banned
Max said:
15+ hours spent on this since yesterday after seeing this thread

stayed up till 3 in the morning last night

thanks
Yeah, I've stayed up until 3 a.m. or later like three different mornings in the last week or so. :lol

Travado said:
My laptop is 2 years old (Turion 64X2 1.9 GHZ, 2 GB ram, Nvidia shitty integrated card) and I played Minecraft on it.

I got bad frame rate (20-25) in default settings, without fog, but with fog level 2 (the game looks more "beautiful") I got 90-120 frames, and I have only 64 ram allocated to video card.

Bought the game and I loved it, so much deep, too bad graphics are only "good". This game with 3D Dot Game Heroes graphics = instant sex.

I'm so getting this. Just not yet. Moving on Tuesday so I'll get it on Thursday or something when I have time to dedicate to it. From what I'm hearing here it sounds like I'll be playing it late into the night.

Played this game in classic mode just building and hanging out with friends for hours today. Went ahead and bought the alpha, and I can't quite figure out survival. The guide in the OP says the first thing I should do is chop trees for wood, yet how am I supposed to chop with my bare hands?

EDIT: Well damn, I guess I am supposed to punch the trees. :lol

Firehead

HappyBivouac said:
Played this game in classic mode just building and hanging out with friends for hours today. Went ahead and bought the alpha, and I can't quite figure out survival. The guide in the OP says the first thing I do is chop trees for wood, yet how am I supposed to chop with my bare hands?
You go up to the tree and chop away with your fists, of course. Get two stacks of wood, press 'i' and drag them to your small crafting grid at the top and create a bunch of planks.
Out of those planks, you create a workbench, and with that workbench you create pickaxe, axe and shovel. Where you go from there is up to you. :)

Dineren

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Played this game in classic mode just building and hanging out with friends for hours today. Went ahead and bought the alpha, and I can't quite figure out survival. The guide in the OP says the first thing I should do is chop trees for wood, yet how am I supposed to chop with my bare hands?

Just punch the trunk of the tree by left clicking. Make sure you're holding down the mouse button and keeping it targeted until it is destroyed, if you release the mouse button or move off target the damage to it is erased.

Dineren

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
So if I switch out of peaceful mode, will mobs come and loot my chests?

Your chests will be safe (although I'm not sure if creepers can blow them up). If you've moved far from your spawn point make sure you know where you are so you can get back if you do happen to die. I built a tall column to use as a landmark. I've had to abandon mines I had well developed because I couldn't find my way back after I died.

Dineren

Banned
Here is a video of my current mine I created today. The top of the tower at the end was kind of difficult to build, I'm curious how everyone else builds them, I ended up falling to my death in the process of making it. I've started going through replacing all the walls with stone to make it uniform instead of the mixture I currently have. I'd like to go through and add stairs to all those blocks I had to jump, but I probably won't bother. I'm pretty sure I'm near an underground cavern as I can hear spiders, but so far I haven't been able to uncover it.

The snow is starting to bug me, when ever I make a skylight I have to build a torch next to it so snow doesn't accumulate on it.

Boonoo

My word. It's amazing. I think I just played for four hours straight, and at the end of those four hours I had a dank cave and a full suit of armor.

Dineren said:
Here is a video of my current mine I created today. The top of the tower at the end was kind of difficult to build, I'm curious how everyone else builds them, I ended up falling to my death in the process of making it. I've started going through replacing all the walls with stone to make it uniform instead of the mixture I currently have. I'd like to go through and add stairs to all those blocks I had to jump, but I probably won't bother. I'm pretty sure I'm near an underground cavern as I can hear spiders, but so far I haven't been able to uncover it.

The snow is starting to bug me, when ever I make a skylight I have to build a torch next to it so snow doesn't accumulate on it.
very nice video

Dineren

Banned
I located the cavern the noises were coming from...

minecraft1.jpg

There was a creeper waiting for me at the bottom that has vanished, I'm afraid certain death awaits me. It's too late to explore it tonight so hopefully I'll have a chance to search it tomorrow.

Here are some pics from the top of my tower to give a sense of the scale. This is the highest it would allow me to build.

upward.jpg

tower.jpg

minecraft2.jpg

minecraft3.jpg

It really doesn't appear to be architecturally sound, maybe I should add to the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom