• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
BLSwagger10 said:
Ok still haven't found a way to fix my problem but the site allows you to play the beta via the browser so I guess its cool for now but my schools internet is shit so don't know how long this will last. Anyone know a site with a list of texture packs and mods or can someone recommend me any of the 2?
I don't know what to say, since if you could run it before, cleaning out the AppData roaming .minecraft directory and redownloading a launcher SHOULD fix it. Have you tried one of the .jar ones and running it from the commandline maybe? :( Or maybe searching the forums?

r1chard

Jasoco said:
I tried "heaven" (All lowercase) and it is amazing. You start in a desert with mountains off in the distance surrounding it.
Interesting. I just used that seed and got a very run-of-the-mill world: starting on a beach next to some water with a very uneven coast. Some cacti. Some low hills around. Nothing spectacular.

I'm on OSX - I suspect that the seeds done travel well between operating systems - or even perhaps JVM versions.

Jasoco

Banned
r1chard said:
Interesting. I just used that seed and got a very run-of-the-mill world: starting on a beach next to some water with a very uneven coast. Some cacti. Some low hills around. Nothing spectacular.

I'm on OSX - I suspect that the seeds done travel well between operating systems - or even perhaps JVM versions.
I'm on OS X too. Desert area with mountains off in the distance. I like it. Perfect place for a fortress overlook.

Edit: I must say, I'm having a lot more fun now that I'm playing with enemies on. Even though I simply sleep at night, it's still awesome.

And Painterly has been updated. My beds are now a lovely shade of blue.

S.W.

r1chard said:
That doesn't appear to be backed up by the evidence.
Or the the location seed could be player's name.
I created gargamel 5 times with different map name and a fresh /bin and I always spawned in the same spot.

I've always wondered how things would play out if it were an 8 player game where each player doesn't actually know that there are other players in the same world, and there would be some reward to players who hit specific landmarks in the game (like the number of enemies killed, or gold collected or something).

Would they team up, would they start battling it out etc.

Also tried out "pangea", looks pretty nice.

Wanace

So I made a new world, built a bed, enclosed my meager dirt home, and went to sleep. Immediately thereafter I awoke in daytime and all my hearts drained away and I died. Is there a minimum ceiling you need above your bed? There were no monsters around, and I tried jumping but just popped up through my ceiling a bit until I died and respawned.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
les papillons sexuels said:
I've always wondered how things would play out if it were an 8 player game where each player doesn't actually know that there are other players in the same world, and there would be some reward to players who hit specific landmarks in the game (like the number of enemies killed, or gold collected or something).

Would they team up, would they start battling it out etc.

Also tried out "pangea", looks pretty nice.
Well, Notch has already mentioned he likes and plans on adding Achievements to the game eventually.

bathala

Banned
so I tried to seed using the word hell and got some funky floating lands
2drxbtt.jpg

Enco

Enco said:
Here's the new server.

(quote to view address)

The download is for you to play alone (put it in your minecraft folder and name it world1 or something.
The address needs to be posted in this op, a new op or more often as it's fairly annoying/hard to try and find it.

(When it works that is)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
S.W. said:
The spawn point seems to be based on the name of the map, it's part of the seed too.

Nope. The spawn will always be one of two methods: It will be at location 0,0 if there is sand at that spot and if it is relatively close to sea level. If not, the spawn point will be random but within about 150 clicks or so of 0,0. The code currently makes it like this, Notch may change it someday but as of 1.3 it is still like this.

For example, gargamel, the reason why you always spawn in that cave, underground, in the dark, is because there is sand at 0,0 and it is not far above sea level, meaning Y=64.

Articalys

A few updates on the Minecraft documentary:
1) They've reached a third of their total so far with about a month to go, but it's likely to be very slow progress from here on out. Let's hope for the best!
2) Confirmation that the film's score would in fact be by C418
And finally, there's one big fan who's pledged the $2,500 for the actual pickaxe signed by Mojang. That's some real devotion to the game right there.

Here are the two parts of the concept video if you missed it earlier.
Part 1
Part 2

upandaway

Damn gargamel is awesome. After I stepped out of the cave (luckily there was a hole with some light and a way out not too far from my spawn), I saw one badass world. At the exit of my cave were tons of huge mountains with a ton of waterfalls. I go to the top of one mountain, and in one direction a huge desert, and in the other a huge lake with a bunch of trees. And they were almost touching each other.

I love how you start in total darkness (with a tiny bit of light) and find your way out like that for the first time. I.. I want every Minecraft save to start like this. When you first step out and see the world from a height, that's quite the moment right there.

TeegsD

Blizzard said:
I don't know what to say, since if you could run it before, cleaning out the AppData roaming .minecraft directory and redownloading a launcher SHOULD fix it. Have you tried one of the .jar ones and running it from the commandline maybe? :( Or maybe searching the forums?

Yeah I've tried all of that, downloaded both launchers 3 times each and still nothing. I've asked on reddit and the official forums but no one seems to know what the problem is. Is there a site that shows how to run it from commandline? My friend found a problem like mine but I believe the poster has a Mac and Mac's seem to be having a bunch of problems according to the poster that responded to him.

IceMarker

Articalys said:
1) They've reached a third of their total so far with about a month to go, but it's likely to be very slow progress from here on out. Let's hope for the best!
And finally, there's one big fan who's pledged the $2,500 for the actual pickaxe signed by Mojang. That's some real devotion to the game right there.

Part 1
Part 2
I donated $30 a couple days ago, the guys from 2PP are from my state as well so more power to them to get this done and done right!

Articalys said:

Part 1
Part 2
I donated $15 a few days ago. I've only watched the six Monte preview nut I was extremely impressed. I want to watch the 20 minute one tonight.

Blizzard

Banned
BLSwagger10 said:
Yeah I've tried all of that, downloaded both launchers 3 times each and still nothing. I've asked on reddit and the official forums but no one seems to know what the problem is. Is there a site that shows how to run it from commandline? My friend found a problem like mine but I believe the poster has a Mac and Mac's seem to be having a bunch of problems according to the poster that responded to him.
I think you would just do something like "java -jar whatever.jar", but you probably need the memory-size arguments as well. I think they're somewhere on the Minecraft site, sorry I don't have them right now.

You haven't updated Java lately by any chance? You could make sure your Java is recent by typing "java -version". :(

Jasoco

Banned
The seed "Final Fantasy 8" spawns a mostly flat desert/plains with some mountains in a distance. And the seed "Snow Glacier" actually spawns you in a snowy world. Makes me wish they'd fix snow again. I'd love to play in a snow world if it meant snow would pile up after it has been dug out.

My seed from last night, "heaven" is still awesome though. But now I feel I want to keep looking...

Ooh... hmm.. "antidisestablishmentarianism"!

Haha, spawned me on a sand bar island in the middle of the ocean. Well, as "ocean" as Minecraft gives you.

Articalys

Oh my god SOMEONE ACTUALLY MADE THE $10,000 PLEDGE for the documentary. Either they already live in Stockholm or they've got a lot of money on their hands for the travel expenses...

Articalys said:
Oh my god SOMEONE ACTUALLY MADE THE $10,000 PLEDGE for the documentary. Either they already live in Stockholm or they've got a lot of money on their hands for the travel expenses...

Uhh... Wow...

That's 10 of my computers! 5 of my cars (Craigslist FTW)!

That's just nuts ><

wwm0nkey

Articalys said:
Awesome!

Jasoco

Banned
My brother just came upstairs dressed to go out and he looks exactly like Notch. The Notch in the first photo that pops up on Google Images. He didn't seem to care though. I however took it as a sign. My first Notch sighting right in my own house.

Back to mining. I have to do the Lord's work. Lord Notch.

r1chard

upandaway said:
Damn gargamel is awesome. After I stepped out of the cave (luckily there was a hole with some light and a way out not too far from my spawn), I saw one badass world. At the exit of my cave were tons of huge mountains with a ton of waterfalls. I go to the top of one mountain, and in one direction a huge desert, and in the other a huge lake with a bunch of trees. And they were almost touching each other.

I love how you start in total darkness (with a tiny bit of light) and find your way out like that for the first time. I.. I want every Minecraft save to start like this. When you first step out and see the world from a height, that's quite the moment right there.
I concur. Awesome :)

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
r1chard said:
Wow, go back one page :)

tl;dr: new thread coming soon.

sorry i read it but didn't understand very well. =(
randomwab said:
There already is one, it's run by Exano. It's currently down at the minute while we wait for some mods we run to get upgraded to V1.3
thanks.

edit: after playing on a private server for so long i deiced to try single player which i haven't touched in a long time.
f9L8v.png

i am ready!

Jasoco

Banned
I just mined 5000 blocks of stone from the center of my world and only found 6 diamonds and no Lapis Lazuli. WTF, Mojang? Iron axes can only go 250 blocks before they break.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jasoco said:
I just mined 5000 blocks of stone from the center of my world and only found 6 diamonds and no Lapis Lazuli. WTF, Mojang? Iron axes can only go 250 blocks before they break.
mine in a line, ore is more common along caves than it is in solid rock, line mining will find you more caves than hollowing out large areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom