• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went back to my world,
and I seem to have lost a couple of days worth in building on my castle.

Anyone else had similar problems, know about fixes etc..?

Oh wow, I love the seed feature for the world generator - try typing in 'Glacier', which creates an awesome looking level with a load of floating islands and waterfalls.

Anyone else got some number or words that make for good seeds?

Rapstah

Bootaaay said:
Oh wow, I love the seed feature for the world generator - try typing in 'Glacier', which creates an awesome looking level with a load of floating islands and waterfalls.

Oh, it does words too?

Exano

Neo Member
Timan said:
So whats the ETA on when the server will be updated?

Hopefully soon. It'll be 1.3 as soon as Hey0's updated. To be honest though, 1.3 is broken as piss. I just want it because monster's are much much smoother.

Anyways, you can downgrade Minecraft to 1.2 or just dont update it and play on the server, it's still up on 1.2. I'm playing with Tomte and Nell now. But theres only 4 people on..feels so lonely.

EDIT- Should also mention the new launcher is broken. It will never connect to mc.net, only the old one will. Also 1.3 is riddled with bugs, such as broken zombies. So :\

Firebrand

Re: Using the old launcher because the new version is borked

The old launcher will attempt to auto-update itself. To get around this and stay on 1.2, you will need to alter the .minecraft/bin/version file to reflect the most recent version number. Currently, it's 1298470263000 (on the second line of the file). You can also make a backup of the entire (v1.2) .minecraft folder, let the game update, copy the new bin/version file somwhere temporarily, restore backup, and replace the bin/version file from your backup with new one.

Cyrillus

I was so excited for beds...but now I'm just saddened by them.

I started a new world and built a house. As soon as I found some sheep I built a bed to test it out. I go to sleep and am awoken by...a skeleton!? I kill the skeleton and figure, well maybe the room isn't well-lit enough, so I throw a torch on each square adjacent to my bed and try again. This time a zombie spawns next to me! I kill it and figure, well, I'll just build a room for my bed, surely mobs won't spawn on top of me!

So I build a 2x1x2 room with 2 torches in it and a door at the foot of the bed. I go to sleep and wake up to a familiar hiss! D: Bye bye first house :-(

Anyone else had issues with the bed?

EDIT: Just tried putting the bed in a 2x1x1 room and still had a zombie spawn on me (and was unable to fight when awoken because of the 1-block height).

Cyrillus said:

I started a new world and built a house. As soon as I found some sheep I built a bed to test it out. I go to sleep and am awoken by...a skeleton!? I kill the skeleton and figure, well maybe the room isn't well-lit enough, so I throw a torch on each square adjacent to my bed and try again. This time a zombie spawns next to me! I kill it and figure, well, I'll just build a room for my bed, surely mobs won't spawn on top of me!

So I build a 2x1x2 room with 2 torches in it and a door at the foot of the bed. I go to sleep and wake up to a familiar hiss! D: Bye bye first house :-(

I was watching my wife play on a server last night, when ever she would get in a bed a monster would spawn on the bed shortly after she got in it. Didn't seem to matter what she did (torches everywhere, blocks all around the bed) they would always spawn, lol

Hopefully they'll fix that issue soon.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Bootaaay said:

Me too. There is a HUGE thread on the MC forums listing good seeds that people have discovered. Glacier is a real good one. 404 is a nice one too, punch the gravel bed by the small lake to see what I mean! It's also a really fun new way to play "multiplayer" Minecraft while staying in single player. Everyone just starts with the same seed and then posts there explorations and constructions into a thread to compare their travels in an identical world.

WillyFive

Mengy said:
Me too. There is a HUGE thread on the MC forums listing good seeds that people have discovered. Glacier is a real good one. 404 is a nice one too, punch the gravel bed by the small lake to see what I mean! It's also a really fun new way to play "multiplayer" Minecraft while staying in single player. Everyone just starts with the same seed and then posts there explorations and constructions into a thread to compare their travels in an identical world.

That sounds nice. We should do that.

Bootaaay said:

It's... Beautiful

Cyrillus

Apparently the mobs spawning on your bed issue is fixed by putting your bed on a different level than your door. I placed a bed on the second floor of a house to test it, and so far I'm 2/2 for not having mobs spawn while I sleep.

I'm having a problem with the new Minecraft.exe, the one with the new launcher. Whenever I use that I can't connect to mc.net

But luckily I kept my old .exe and that connects instantly, no problems.

What's the deali-o?

Exano

Neo Member
ArtistDude88 said:
I'm having a problem with the new Minecraft.exe, the one with the new launcher. Whenever I use that I can't connect to mc.net

But luckily I kept my old .exe and that connects instantly, no problems.

What's the deali-o?

Server is still on 1.2 for the moment. Some guy is working on getting Hmod to be updated, as the other guy is on vacation till the 28th.

Patch is buggy as hell in the meantime, but we'll work with it.

Anyways, downgrade minecraft or dont upgrade to play on the server. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be up to date. I love updates =p

In the meantime, I feel so alone on the server =p Only Blazing and Nell so far heh

Wool

Exano said:
Server is still on 1.2 for the moment. Some guy is working on getting Hmod to be updated, as the other guy is on vacation till the 28th.

Anyways, downgrade minecraft or dont upgrade to play on the server. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be up to date. I love updates =p

In the meantime, I feel so alone on the server =p Only Blazing and Nell so far heh

If I downgrade now that my save files have all been converted will it mess things up? Single player is like an entirely different game without all of the mods I got used to in Gafland.

Exano

Neo Member
rdelaney said:
If I downgrade now that my save files have all been converted will it mess things up? Single player is like an entirely different game without all of the mods I got used to in Gafland.

I don't believe you'll be able to play those save file's. I'd just back em up, and then when everythings updated and good to go it'll be fine.

Exano said:

I haven't bothered connecting to your server to be honest, but my problem is not with that.

It's the new launcher. Can't log into my account through it. But the old minecraft.exe without the launcher window connects just fine. :\

Exano

Neo Member
ArtistDude88 said:
I haven't bothered connecting to your server to be honest, but my problem is not with that.

It's the new launcher. Can't log into my account through it. But the old minecraft.exe without the launcher window connects just fine. :\

New launchers broken atm

Slimes have a higher spawn rate

Good. I've never actually seen or even HEARD one before.

Anyone get kinda paranoid when you go to sleep in game that you will wake up with a creeper beside the bed :p.

Cyrillus said:

EDIT: Just tried putting the bed in a 2x1x1 room and still had a zombie spawn on me (and was unable to fight when awoken because of the 1-block height).

Bwahaha. Good Ol' Fashioned Nightmare Fuel.

Mengy said:

Ooooh.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

This could be big. 404 is interesting, (got my usual cliffside abode going with stone sword and such), but I haven't had luck making my own. Just get boring woods with those dimply holes (a biome I hate).

AutoGibbon

Neo Member
Hey just incase there are some people thinking wtf is up with Exano's server since you can't connect, it's most likely because you updated to beta 1.3 and the server is still running 1.2 (you will need to roll back your bin folder to 1.2 and use the version file you get from the 1.3 update).

Over an out.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Willy105 said:
That sounds nice. We should do that.

If we do, I found the seed we should use. I mean HOLY SHIT. If anyone wants to try out a really wicked seed, use the seed "gargamel". Without the quote marks. You spawn in a pitch black cave, if you look around a bit over your head you can find your way out, and then be amazed at one hell of a map to explore. I mean WOAH...

Wool

Mengy said:
If we do, I found the seed we should use. I mean HOLY SHIT. If anyone wants to try out a really wicked seed, use the seed "gargamel". Without the quote marks. You spawn in a pitch black cave, if you look around a bit over your head you can find your way out, and then be amazed at one hell of a map to explore. I mean WOAH...

Wow, that gargamel map is awesome, I don't think I've ever seen such a cool map. Did you just try that or is there a webpage with all of these words that make good maps?

cbox

Since some of you host servers, I'm trying to do the same on my main pc but it just refuses to work..

Now I'm able to host a server on my laptop with no problem, but I really don't want my netbook eating up the cpu too much, when my quad here can eat it for breakfast.

I host it the exact same way as I would on the laptop, but my friends just can't connect. It always times out...

Both pc's are running 64bit win7, both have the right open ports. Any ideas?

The seed "gargamel" is amazing. Look what I stumbled upon:

2z8tftg.png

Exano

Neo Member
At the moment I have the gaf minecraft server for survival.

It's currently on version 1.2, it will update to version 1.3 later in the week once things settle down. I am only a junior though I cannot make threads.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Exano said:

It's currently on version 1.2, it will update to version 1.3 later in the week once things settle down. I am only a junior though I cannot make threads.
address? make is so that no members can't see.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jesus Christ man, are you playing on a three monitor set-up?

Exano said:

I swear I'll have the new thread done by tomorrow =P

TeegsD

Ok still haven't found a way to fix my problem but the site allows you to play the beta via the browser so I guess its cool for now but my schools internet is shit so don't know how long this will last. Anyone know a site with a list of texture packs and mods or can someone recommend me any of the 2?

Jasoco

Banned
Mengy said:
Jesus Christ! It spawned me in a cave with no light and it took me forever to get out because I had to dig. After finding enough dirt for steppage, I started digging up. I didn't make it out until night. Now I'm sitting with dirt over my head waiting for daylight so I don't end up dying before I even make it to the surface! I'm literally one block below the cloud level. (Fancy detail) I can see it float right above my head below the block I placed.

Can't wait to actually see this world.

I didn't even know you could use letters. How awesome is that? Random seeds are awesome.

I might actually decide to start over again tonight with something really cool once I find the right word.

Edit Just for shits and giggles, I put in Steve Jobs. Really nice world with flat lands surrounding a big mountain cliffside. I think I'll stay in this one.

pirata

Man, almost makes me wish that we could have waited to create a new world...a gargamel server would have been kinda cool...

But our spawn desert is nice as well :)

EDIT: I was trying out seeding, used "Sahara," and right at spawn, I see TONS of clay. I've never seen clay in Mincraft before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom