• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

Grinchy said:
Wow the update is pretty substantial for me. I'm not a crazy Minecraft player, but I do have some slight addictions to it here and there that come in phases. Anyway the new lighting looks great!

I haven't really been keeping up on the update news, so I had no idea that the infinite burning wood block would no longer work. There are about 16 fires I have to start some other way around my base now!

Well, if you're playing in single-player (or multi-player using a mod that allows it), you could use Netherrack.

L00P

Okay, I just updated my thing and MY HOUSE AND EVERYTHING DISAPPEARED WHAT THE HECK

Edit: I think I accidentally deleted something that reverted my file to an older save while I was uninstalling some mods. So that cabana I built never happened. FUCK.

Cranzor

I wish I was still able to play this game. I loved what I played. My processor just can't keep up with it :( I saw the update when my brother was playing, looks cool. The bed is a pretty good idea actually.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
They made it so Sandstone is at the bottom of sand (For newly generated world), making the sand falling glitch not happen any more. Still happens to gravel though.

Also, something someone pointed out that I never noticed, your spawn point will always start on a block of sand.

WedgeX

Banned
Drkirby said:
They made it so Sandstone is at the bottom of sand (For newly generated world), making the sand falling glitch not happen any more. Still happens to gravel though.

Also, something someone pointed out that I never noticed, your spawn point will always start on a block of sand.

That would have been incredibly useful when I was building a subway tunnel back on spot's server. Glad it exists now!

Blizzard said:
Had you not updated in a long time? I'm assuming that you got hit by the issue where lava sets wood on fire, but that came a while back. :(

No it turns out that logs no longer burn infinitely. So any fireplace I had or tower with flames on it burnt my house straight to the ground, when it was totally normal before the update. Fuck me hard Notch

Blizzard

Banned
greenhadoken said:
No it turns out that logs no longer burn infinitely. So any fireplace I had or tower with flames on it burnt my house straight to the ground, when it was totally normal before the update. Fuck me hard Notch
The man is a multi-millionaire troll. :p

I'm not sure what falling-sand glitch is being referred to, or how sandstone shows up. Does anyone care to elaborate?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, I see, you had a fire place in a wooden house, and finally fixing that bug, causing it to spread.

Hey, if the bug is fixed, maybe Exano would be willing to turn fire back on, since I think one of the reasons he kept it off (Other then griefing) was due to there always been chunks of wood that would never go out.

Always loved being able to goto a new area, and just burn down a forest to make room for my home. Or just burn tall trees so I don't have to scaffale up to them to cut them down all the way.

I'm not sure what falling-sand glitch is being referred to, or how sandstone shows up. Does anyone care to elaborate?
Remember how you could end up with sand floating in a spot it shouldn't, so the moment you tried mining anything around it, it would all fall? Well, now when the world is being generated, it generates a thing of sandstone at the bottom of sand, so in spots that it would generate a bunch of floating sand it now has a base, so it doesn't fall.

TeegsD

BLSwagger10 said:
Alright, so I haven't touched the game since right before it went into beta. But I had found an inventory editor so i haven't played it seriously for a few months. I've been getting the urge to play it again and just found some time before class. My problem is that I can't get the damn thing to start up at all. I'll click on the launcher and my mouse will show the loading symbol for about a half second and then nothing happens. I have deleted appdata, deleted all launchers, downloaded a launcher from both links on the site and still nothing. Anyone else know of this happening before and know of a way to fix it?

Ended up as last post on the last page. Decided to re post for this page. Any help would be appreciated as I'd love to get back into this game

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
Always loved being able to goto a new area, and just burn down a forest to make room for my home. Or just burn tall trees so I don't have to scaffale up to them to cut them down all the way.

Remember how you could end up with sand floating in a spot it shouldn't, so the moment you tried mining anything around it, it would all fall? Well, now when the world is being generated, it generates a thing of sandstone at the bottom of sand, so in spots that it would generate a bunch of floating sand it now has a base, so it doesn't fall.
The first thing is really wasteful, especially since it takes new people like me so long to make my own tree farm and grow wood or whatever. You could donate wood to people instead of burning the entire thing down. :(

I'll also miss the burning wood effect, which was nice for an effect, plus I've even used it when exploring.

Finally, it'll be sad to not have Indiana Jones movie moments anymore. ;( Worst game ever now, confirmed.

Exano

Neo Member
See problem is if I update the server now instead of waiting a day or two, it'll be vanilla ruleset, and no mods will function. The biggest thing im worried about is forest fires.

But on the other hand, mobs will work and we'll have fun newfeatures.

I'm gonna give it another 24 hours, see where the community is at, and if they have relesaed the mods then i'll roll with that. If not, then i'll put it on vanilla for a little bit.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just do it. Borked server > No Server. We will have a good excuse to actually finish cleaning up spawn.

Or are you paranoid we are going to raid your chests and steal everything within 15 minutes or something :lol

Pimpbaa

Blizzard said:
The first thing is really wasteful, especially since it takes new people like me so long to make my own tree farm and grow wood or whatever. You could donate wood to people instead of burning the entire thing down. :(

What I hate is when people take the trees the you planted and grew (using bone meal) around your structure and don't even bother to cut the whole thing down (floating bushes everywhere). I put some signs around saying to replant what you take, but I got a bunch of saplings under the floating bushes that will obviously never grow. Ugh, sorry for the rant lol.

Vlad

Exano said:
See problem is if I update the server now instead of waiting a day or two, it'll be vanilla ruleset, and no mods will function. The biggest thing im worried about is forest fires.

But on the other hand, mobs will work and we'll have fun newfeatures.

I'm gonna give it another 24 hours, see where the community is at, and if they have relesaed the mods then i'll roll with that. If not, then i'll put it on vanilla for a little bit.

Is the server still running on Hey0, or is it on Bukkit now? Is Bukkit even out yet? I was under the impression that the authors of the mods had all moved to Bukkit now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:

I'll also miss the burning wood effect, which was nice for an effect, plus I've even used it when exploring.

Finally, it'll be sad to not have Indiana Jones movie moments anymore. ;( Worst game ever now, confirmed.
Its the time it takes to cut down the trees. If you want to follow me and cut down all the trees, go for it. Heck, I would likely pay you in some way for it, I find it a pain, especially with the day night cycle, when I just want to make a shelter that can be easily spotted.

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
Its the time it takes to cut down the trees. If you want to follow me and cut down all the trees, go for it. Heck, I would likely pay you in some way for it, I find it a pain, especially with the day night cycle, when I just want to make a shelter that can be easily spotted.
I'm trying to protect the environment! You would probably make giant oil spills if you could, too, and kill all the precious squid! ;_;

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If I could easily drain lakes again, I would.

Nah, just kidding. That is very wasteful, water is a huge pain to make more of, and draining a lake can't easily be redone.

So my two block fireplace goes out due to the logs disintegrating. I figure, hey, i'll just put two more blocks back to test disintegration

Then my decorative gigantic trees and tree house thing burnt down.

Thankfully my last save was pretty close to where i was, didnt lose any diamonds or anything, but i did lose the big score of glowstone dust i found. oh well

Exano

Neo Member
edit- on second thought
thats not a good idea. (sits and waits patiently)

Who votes to update it and forsake mods and fire protection for a day or two? ;p

Firebrand

Exano said:
edit- on second thought

Who votes to update it and forsake mods and fire protection for a day or two? ;p

Sounds scary to have no locks or fire protection, but so far I dont think we've had a lot of griefing attempts?

I would suggest sharing the old client and run that, but... "Do Not Distribute", yeah.

Exano

Neo Member
Turned the server back on. If it goes bad,i'm reverting to this point in time. Good luck, please let me know about anything bad. Creepers explode, fires work, etc.

Also, HFS before the file change map hit 300 megs. God damn, guys.

Wool

Exano said:
edit- on second thought

Yes, I vote update it. I am scared for my torch though.

Edit: Already updated

Exano said:
Turned the server back on. If it goes bad,i'm reverting to this point in time. Good luck, please let me know about anything bad. Creepers explode, fires work, etc.

Also, HFS before the file change map hit 300 megs. God damn, guys.

Exploding Creepers! :D

My poor roads D:

Firebrand

Weird, I can use the old-old launcher to login (but I then get the "Outdated server" message).
With the new launcher I can't login at all.

Is anyone able to connect to Exano's server right now?
EDIT: Guess I am now, by replacing the version file.

Mirk

So did the server get updated or not? I can not login with 1.3 :/
Get "Outdated server" error.

So yes the server is still 1.2_02 so you'll need to revert back to that to play.

Jasoco

Banned
So can beds be changed color by using different wools? If not, I am disappointed. I don't want all my beds to be red. But I do want to use them a lot. I wish I could make queen sized beds that were 2x3 by placing three of them in a workbench together. Especially since I already filled all my little houses with beds. I'd love to have different colored ones.

What I don't get is why they don't take advantage of MC's ability to tint certain tiles different colors. The Wool currently takes up like 16 slots when it could easily take up 1 with each wool being tinted the correct color. Trees and Grass work this way. Why not all other things that could benefit from a variation of color. Beds. Wood maybe having different stains. Wool. If I were Mojang, I'd be taking advantage of that like crazy. Since we can make beds with different wool colors, it would make sense to have different colors of bed covers based on what wool you use.

Also, shame time passes but stuff doesn't keep going, like furnaces don't cook when asleep. This has to be a bug since if I were to turn my oven on and go to bed, it would not automatically turn off and back on.

I wonder when Painterly will be updated. They didn't even put a notice up yet. Do they know it's out? I find no references to beds in their customization page.

Ambient Occlusion looks so nice. I am so glad I can finally use it. And it doesn't seem to slow me down either.

Blizzard

Banned
The lighting looks nice, but I seem to lose 10-20 fps playing with it. My 5850 1GB goes down to like...35-45 fps in places with it turned on and fancy graphics, so it's not super smooth walking around. :( Any advice? I haven't tried rebooting yet.

There's also an ugly moire effect on water but that may be the ATI driver issue where borders are shown around blocks.

Jasoco

Banned
Does anyone know how to figure out what the Seed value for my already existent world is? I want to regenerate it, but use a program to copy only the chunks that I've built on back in so I can take advantage of new stuff, but still have all my old stuff.

Also, on that note, I need a program to actually copy those chunks over. Nothing I've used on OS X has ever worked with my 200+MB world. I've spent so much time on this since the Halloween update I'd hate to lose all my stuff... yet.

Twig

Banned
AWESOME.

I could never get the lighting mod working. Now it's built right in. Now I'm happy. :D

Converted my original world (only place I've built anything worthwhile), deleted the others, went in, ran around my floating island with the new lighting and the tronic texture pack. Mm-mmm.

Jasoco

Banned
I said fuck it and decided to try my hand at playing single player properly for once. I'm playing with monsters on! Easy mode, but still. I chose a seed of 1979 (My birth year) and got to work. Built my first real starting house, complete with bed! It's smaller than a Japanese apartment.

256ciyw.jpg

It's barbaric, but hey, it's home.

Now to do some mining before bed and see how my first night goes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The very first thing I usually do is get 3 chunks of wood, and make a wood pick and ax. Cut down a bit more wood, and be off. Then I try to find some exposed coal, and mine some out. After I get 3 or 4 chunks of coal, I'll dig up some dirt and build a 5x5x3 hut, if there is time I'll make a few things of glass. Put torches on the sides, if I have the change grab a bit of wool for the roof, install the door and windows, and be set.

Jasoco

Banned
First thing I did was explore a little then dig some sand and dirt. Then a tree. Made a bench. Made a house around it. Punched a few sheep and made a bed. Then made a door. Then some tools. Pickaxe, Shovel, Sword. Then mined some stone from a mountain before going to bed. Woke up and found a leftover Creeper that promptly blew a hole in some sand and only hurt me for a few hearts. Almost forgot I wasn't on peaceful anymore when I jumped down and hurt myself. Oops.

Anyway. Now I'm digging my first tunnel down into the ground. But I discovered something interesting. When you turn F3 on, you can see mobs behind walls. I know some people would consider this cheating, but for me, I think it'll help keep me alive for a while. I haven't met them yet, but it does tell me there's caves out there.

If you don't like it, don't turn F3 on.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If they leave that in, it should help find where mobs are spawning in the future when digging structures into the ground. "I HEAR YOU ZOMBIES, WHERE ARE YOU HIDING!"

Jasoco

Banned
I've been mining a stairway and quarry room at the base of the world for hours. Haven't been back to my home in forever. I don't even know how many days I've been down here. And I still haven't hit any caves or enemies. Though I can see dozens of them all around me off in the distance. I did hit lava though right above the ceiling. It didn't fall on me, but I did catch on fire after it landed and died once. Didn't lose anything much though because I made sure to walk away from it before I died. Now I'm making it part of the scenery down here. And lighting.

Haven't found any diamond or Lapis Lazuli yet though. And just two Gold and some Iron. And I made a compass I don't need because I got it mixed up with the watch AGAIN. Ugh. Two more gold for a watch.

Jasoco said:
Haven't found any diamond or Lapis Lazuli yet though. And just two Gold and some Iron. And I made a compass I don't need because I got it mixed up with the watch AGAIN. Ugh. Two more gold for a watch.

Carry a bed in your inventory for now and use it as a makeshift watch. If you get the "You can only sleep at night" message when you use it, you know it's still daytime topside.

The F3 thing sounds like a bug in the latest version, as I've never noticed any mobs showing up before while using it.

JackEtc

Dammit, I didn't have this downloaded on my new computer on purpose. I'm hooked again.

I'm going back and looking through some of some member's houses, and holy shit...I can never get that good....building houses in the side of mountains? Wow.

I usually just start building a basic, square castle out of cobblestone on the ground.

webrunner

huh, got a chunk error in the middle of the main room in my single player game...

took out some of my stuff, replaced with a giant block of stone. That's kind of a downer.. fortunately i'd m oved a lot of stuff away from there already but not everything (and I had a wheat farm and some paintings right where it happened)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom