• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you didn't catch this change, pressing F swaps whatever's in your hotbar with whatever's in your offhand. :)
Hmm... Interesting. I was trying to watch your video but YouTube was being a big baby so it stopped at 3 minutes. (I assume you talk about it there.) This is good to know. Time to experiment.

Fuchsdh

Aside from shields, you can pretty much ignore all the dual wielding so it's not a major change. As PvP isn't an issue on our server I think I'm safe ignoring shields—I'm never usually out where getting mobbed by, well, mobs is an issue.

As for "balance" I don't think a PvE situation really approaches that question. Balance is a matter of the PvP metagame.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hmm. Switching the hands doesn't do what I need to do. It just swaps the hands. I need to be able to use the right-click mode for the tool I'm holding like the shovel for making paths or the hoe for making farmland, etc. But if you have a shield no matter what you end up using the shield. I don't like it. I want to be able to switch from Combat mode to Tool mode.

I guess I won't be bothering with shields until I figure something out. And I don't have room in my hotter to keep the shield in there either. I already have permanent slots for the sword, pick, shovel, axe, food and torches. I need the other slots for building without swapping so much. Shields should be automatic and not activated.

What are everyone's thought on the new Mending enchantment? For those who don't know when you collect XP while holding an item with Mending the XP repairs it.

For me I feel like this cuts out a large part of the survival gameplay loop. Once you get all your stuff enchanted with Mending there is no further need for diamonds to continue to repair them. My base is built in a guardian monument and I farm them for XP but even though I have enough XP to get all the enchantments I need I still have to go out and find diamonds every now and then. It's a self imposed task that is actually a fun way to break things up.

Now that diamonds aren't needed anymore there's no need to go caving for them.

I thought it was to get around that after x repairs items don't become repairable..
Well it does because with Mending you never need to repair anything as long as you feed it XP. Things becoming unrepairable was what required you to keep hunting for diamond if you want to play totally in survival. Now you can make spend 3 diamonds on a pick and never make another pick again unless you die.

Sarcasm

Well it does because with Mending you never need to repair anything as long as you feed it XP. Things becoming unrepairable was what required you to keep hunting for diamond if you want to play totally in survival. Now you can make spend 3 diamonds on a pick and never make another pick again unless you die.

No not that, it is just after x amount of times you couldn't repair it because it became ungodly expensive. But I haven't played much since like 1.5.

Fuchsdh

I haven't seen how much XP is required, but to me it seems like a solid alternative. They've rescaled enchanting so it's harder to instantly end up with some god-tier piece of armor you have to abandon, and I think that's fine. It's not like Mending enchants are going to fall from the trees like rain; you would have to apply it to each and every piece of kit.

Diamonds and most materials have little end-game value after a while, that's the nature of the end-game.

zer0das

Banned
Am not sure about this though. This game was supposed to have tuff combat and over time it became piss easy (at least to me). I welcome back the challenge and changes of approach regarding combat. It might be unbalanced (I did not experience it enough yet) but I wonder if the problem isn't more related to our habits of playing rather than the fact the combat became better or worse. I guess its just "different" and adapting our play style might be fun. Well, we'll see.

Thing is, if there's like 12-15 mobs and I'm struggling to kill one when I have really good enchanted stuff, and the respawn rate is higher than my rate of killing, that's not fair difficulty. That's just ridiculous. It's effectively mandating you almost never be outside at night.

With the new combat system, you can actually hit multiple mobs with a swords sweep attack. This at least should help when dealing with swarms of mobs.

Fuchsdh

Thing is, if there's like 12-15 mobs and I'm struggling to kill one when I have really good enchanted stuff, and the respawn rate is higher than my rate of killing, that's not fair difficulty. That's just ridiculous. It's effectively mandating you almost never be outside at night.

Where are you that you're regularly facing that many mobs, though? I've never run across that many at once outside of grinder situations.

Fuchsdh

So, as of this writing there's roughly ten hours to go before the TROGDOR—I mean, END DRAGON FIGHTTTT.

When: 8PM EST (UTC-5)—figure out what time that is for you

Where: Gafland! We'll all meet up at the NeoGAF logo at spawn (X-94, Z-245) and head to the nearest End portal via a short trip through the nether.

I'll be brewing up potions and have some spare armor and weapons, but bring your best gear!

Chat—dunno if anyone wants to set up a chat room for voice communication or not.

-Minsc-

I'll be sure to show up an hour before hand and grab a quick recording of the old end then proceed to BURNINATE the place.

Mika

Can I get whitelisted? SN: Mikachii

Been out of Minecraft since around the time Endermen were added. I figure now's a good time to kill off what's left of my productivity.

-Minsc-

Can I get whitelisted? SN: Mikachii

Been out of Minecraft since around the time Endermen were added. I figure now's a good time to kill off what's left of my productivity.

I've added you to the list, welcome to the server!

Fuchsdh

For the lost:

Overviewer: http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/users/fuchsdh#/-94/64/64/-10/0/0

Rail map: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52289775/GAFLAND Rail Map.png

EDIT:

Report from the Nether—

The new islands are pretty huge! You can get to them by taking the Nether portal to the End (first left heading north on the orange nether line) and then going to the spiral staircase and ender pearling in. Lots of ender islands with a lot of space between them; suggest making some end stone pathways from islands. Generated structures seem pretty rare, but they can be pretty huge and elaborate, and they're a lot of fun with platforming and using the Shulkers to get around (and a huge amount of loot—mending enchanted armor, gold, emeralds, and diamonds.) 10/10 would raid again.

If people want to respawn the dragon you can do so now anytime too, you'll just need eyes of ender and associated materials to make the crystals. There are a lot of glass bottles for dragon's breath gathering, as well as ender pearls from the old Underman farm, in the End Portal fortress (along with beds in case you die.)

Quick question guys, in your opinion do you think Minecraft is appropriate for a 5 year old? He is pretty sharp, has watched his uncle play for months, and has been playing a minecraft lite app called toca builders for 2 years.

Fuchsdh

Quick question guys, in your opinion do you think Minecraft is appropriate for a 5 year old? He is pretty sharp, has watched his uncle play for months, and has been playing a minecraft lite app called toca builders for 2 years.

I wouldn't have any issue with it. The actual game is pretty G-rated, only possible issue would be online interactions.

-Minsc-

I wouldn't have any issue with it. The actual game is pretty G-rated, only possible issue would be online interactions.

I second this, basically keep the child offline. If you are interested, and have the capability, set up a private local server and play with him. He'd have a great time.exploring and building with you.

Whoa! New form of fast travel in 1.9. Not sure if it's faster than jumping on trapdoored ice but it'll require much less food.

https://youtu.be/YqXQJmp-mpY?t=24m20s

Also, I lamented the breaking of item elevators in 1.9 but turns out a new method was found shortly after the snapshot that broke them. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWmwpPh-CKc

This makes me really happy since I've worked item elevators from my guardian farm into the decoration of the base and they'd look like shit if they weren't glass.

-Minsc-

Whoa! New form of fast travel in 1.9. Not sure if it's faster than jumping on trapdoored ice but it'll require much less food.

https://youtu.be/YqXQJmp-mpY?t=24m20s

Also, I lamented the breaking of item elevators in 1.9 but turns out a new method was found shortly after the snapshot that broke them. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWmwpPh-CKc

This makes me really happy since I've worked item elevators from my guardian farm into the decoration of the base and they'd look like shit if they weren't glass.
I'm really liking that boat trick.

Mika

So I've already started jumping into largish builds, heh. Starting to shape up the new Gafopolis Academy.
xbRWzSE.png

The first floor's structure is largely done, and replicating that to the second and third floor should take less time, so maybe another day or two for the structure.

Of course, then comes all the detail work and landscaping, etc. :x

Fuchsdh

So I've already started jumping into largish builds, heh. Starting to shape up the new Gafopolis Academy.

The first floor's structure is largely done, and replicating that to the second and third floor should take less time, so maybe another day or two for the structure.

I demand you make this scale model of the University of Vienna!

http://imgur.com/PAx71nJ

(I need to stop looking at Reddit Minecraft builds. Without knowing the time and effort that goes into it, I just feel dejected that I can't make stuff like that.)

Jumped on this morning to work on fixing my item elevators and after about 30min I ran over to my melon farm and saw this:

At first it appeared like the design I was using had turned into a dirt block duplicator but when I jumped onto one of the protrusions the server kicked me for "flying". I logged back on and everything was normal so they must have been ghost blocks that got out of sync with the server or something. Anyone else ever seen this?

Fuchsdh

Jumped on this morning to work on fixing my item elevators and after about 30min I ran over to my melon farm and saw this:

At first it appeared like the design I was using had turned into a dirt block duplicator but when I jumped onto one of the protrusions the server kicked me for "flying". I logged back on and everything was normal so they must have been ghost blocks that got out of sync with the server or something. Anyone else ever seen this?

Nah. Unfortunately while 1.9 has been much better for me performance-wise it seems to have made the server a bit more unstable.

Mika

I demand you make this scale model of the University of Vienna!

http://imgur.com/PAx71nJ

(I need to stop looking at Reddit Minecraft builds. Without knowing the time and effort that goes into it, I just feel dejected that I can't make stuff like that.)

I saw that! An actual full-size university would consume like half the city though.

Something to think about for some future reference maybe. :3c

Well I was wrong about Mending because I didn't know about one crucial detail, it's treasure loot only, along with Frostwalker stuff, so you can't get it from an enchanting table. That makes it much harder to get. Now I have a good reason to make an AFK fishing farm.

Fuchsdh

Well I was wrong about Mending because I didn't know about one crucial detail, it's treasure loot only, along with Frostwalker stuff, so you can't get it from an enchanting table. That makes it much harder to get. Now I have a good reason to make an AFK fishing farm.

On the plus side it seems like armor in the End comes with lots of mending enchants baked in. Got my chest and leg armor set (at least in iron.) Hoping to get something to bind to my feather falling boots.

On the plus side it seems like armor in the End comes with lots of mending enchants baked in. Got my chest and leg armor set (at least in iron.) Hoping to get something to bind to my feather falling boots.
How far apart are the End islands? Can you pearl between them? I imagine most End Cities close to the portal are going to be raided pretty quick.

Fuchsdh

How far apart are the End islands? Can you pearl between them? I imagine most End Cities close to the portal are going to be raided pretty quick.

The End islands are either very small little islands or very large ones. Can't really pearl between them, you're gonna' need to make bridges.

The End cities seem pretty far flung (although as we went further out we kept on finding ever more massive ones) so I don't think especially with our server numbers you have to worry too much about them all getting raided. I believe Rikui went south and we went east in our initial foray, so North or West there should be virgin cities with a few thousand blocks.

Given the large distances between islands, building out ice luges for quick traversal might be a very good idea.

The academy looks amazing! I'm a big fan.

Mika

And Gafopolis Academy has been completed!

I modeled it somewhat off the design of the National University of Ireland in Galway, but I would've needed way more space (and I don't remember much of the inside, haha) so I just exercised artistic liberty.

There's many relevant and interesting courses for students to enroll in! Check below to see some of the offerings.

Not to mention the charm of studying in a building that has such a classical style and rich history. Why, it almost has a full week of history today!

We're looking forward to your enrollment
money
!

Top Bottom