• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I updated my family server to 1.7 last night. Trimmed our world first after researching how it would end up looking. Today I was doing some Creative mode edge tweaking to smooth stuff out and came upon a village located at the same coordinates it was in the original world, but since I trimmed the world with Chunky, exported the newly trimmed areas to a ZIP and imported the new regions into the old world, the villages.dat file contained the original village coordinates. So when the game regenerated the chunks, which are now a Roofed Forest instead of plains, it generated this amazing thing that needs to be part of the official game STAT:

iGU7dEG7VrOT9.png

This does not happen as part of the game. The actual game only generates villages in plains and deserts. This is the most amazing thing I've seen in 1.7 so far, and it doesn't even happen naturally.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I updated my family server to 1.7 last night. Trimmed our world first after researching how it would end up looking. Today I was doing some Creative mode edge tweaking to smooth stuff out and came upon a village located at the same coordinates it was in the original world, but since I trimmed the world with Chunky, exported the newly trimmed areas to a ZIP and imported the new regions into the old world, the villages.dat file contained the original village coordinates. So when the game regenerated the chunks, which are now a Roofed Forest instead of plains, it generated this amazing thing that needs to be part of the official game STAT:

This does not happen as part of the game. The actual game only generates villages in plains and deserts. This is the most amazing thing I've seen in 1.7 so far, and it doesn't even happen naturally.

That's damn cool. I haven't even found a roof tree forest yet. I did find this amazing 195 block tall mountain peak though, in a Savannah M biome just a chunk or so away from where I popped out of my 3000 block nether tunnel:

It's way, way above the clouds. And this isn't even an amplified world either, just my good old SSP world from back in 1.2 or something.

I'm thinking of building a sprawling mountain base in these Savannah mountains, it's a whole range surrounded by savannah plains and desert.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's damn cool. I haven't even found a roof tree forest yet.
We had a second village in our dat file located in a desert which was replaced with a normal forest plains. So now we have a village made out of sandstone in a non-desert area. Exploiting things is cool.

We need to find a Mesa. I wish Amidst was updated for 1.7.

Also, the best part is how maps in frames work now. Seamless framed maps is amazing. I am going to make a huge map of our entire land.

Mengy

Also, the best part is how maps in frames work now. Seamless framed maps is amazing. I am going to make a huge map of our entire land.

Yeah, I'm planning on making a HUGE map room in my new base, with room to expand it as I explore more and more of my world. The way the improved maps work is great. I just wish we could lay maps down flat on the floor, that would be awesome.

So news post? News post:

++++++++
MINECON
++++++++

I'll be at MineCon next week, repping Neocraft; if any of you guys are going to be there, let me know! :) Also, if there's anything you'd want me to grab, let me know, too.

+++++++
MUMBLE
+++++++

Mumble test was a success! If you guys ever want to hop on and chat when I'm recording, feel free to. I'd be happy to do stuff with you guys for the series.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NEOCRAFT FISHING COMPETITION
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1.7 offers up some huge fishing updates, so once we update things, would there be some interest in a fishing competition? I have some ideas on how to do it, but different items from fishing would get different point values, and the highest total after a period of time wins.

+++
UHC
+++

You guys want to set one of these up? I would be down for playing in one and others have mentioned an interest, too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I'm planning on making a HUGE map room in my new base, with room to expand it as I explore more and more of my world. The way the improved maps work is great. I just wish we could lay maps down flat on the floor, that would be awesome.
It's awesome.

And I agree. I wish we could use them like carpet. I didn't realize our world was so big. (This is at the default 1 pixel = 1 meter size) The odd chunk edges are due to the trimming. I also love how it shows the green arrow ONLY on a map that contains its coordinates. So it's like a "You Are Here" for my giant map.

In this map you see my area, which contains the walled in area behind the map, the farm to the north and the circular tower connected to the bridge. My brother's area which is the circular walled area with all the circles in it in the bottom right as well as the two Iron Golem Farms in the corner. My brother's friends castle which is all the way north. And his cousin's igloo in the now-not-a-snow-biome former snowy taiga. (It's hard to tell since snow blends in with snow.) The desert to the south used to be bigger, but I've slowly been turning it into dirt.

Took me forever to make all the maps, even in creative flying around. And sadly they won't update as we change stuff so I'll have to change it myself later.

Grinchy

Banned
omg that new huge map is so awesome

Speaking of awesome maps, I haven't been on Gafland in forever but I looked at the map just now and it looks like a ton of cool stuff has been built. It's always shocking what people are able to do in these worlds.

gogojira

So, I just came back from Disney World and saw like 7 billion kids wearing Minecraft shirts and people dressed up as Minecraft dudes with pixel swords for the Halloween party. I guess this game is popular beyond what I even knew.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well.... hello there random Jungle temple in the middle of the plains...

Is this another side effect of the village.dat file being from 1.6? That's so weird. It was a bit broken in the basement and all the chests had rotten flesh. So strange. No jungle anywhere either. It must be part of the village.dat file. I believe there was a jungle there in 1.6.

I need to go investigate. I know where another jungle temple was... time to go see if it still is.

Mengy

Hey Real Abed, I have a question for you. Could you post a screenshot of your video settings screen? From the pics you've posted it looks like your draw distance is still normal, meaning fairly far, while mine seems to be very much less than it was before the patch. I've tried messing with all the settings but nothing seems to give me the "foggy" distance draw in like I used to have, and it's pissing me off.

Thanks!

Edit: Ah, my problem seems to be an issue with 64-bit Java and 1.7.2, apparently draw distance is in reality capped to about 8 chunks if you are running with 64-bit Java.

https://mojang.atlassian.net/browse/MC-31622

Real Abed, do you run Minecraft with 64-bit or 32 bit Java? That just might explain the difference....

Blizzard

Banned
Hey Real Abed, I have a question for you. Could you post a screenshot of your video settings screen? From the pics you've posted it looks like your draw distance is still normal, meaning fairly far, while mine seems to be very much less than it was before the patch. I've tried messing with all the settings but nothing seems to give me the "foggy" distance draw in like I used to have, and it's pissing me off.

Thanks!

Edit: Ah, my problem seems to be an issue with 64-bit Java and 1.7.2, apparently draw distance is in reality capped to about 8 chunks if you are running with 64-bit Java.

Real Abed, do you run Minecraft with 64-bit or 32 bit Java? That just might explain the difference....
Interesting. I always thought 64-bit Java was supposed to be the way to go to avoid crashes, and to be able to use more memory, but people there are suggesting that not only does the rendering distance not work, but optifine still works better for performance, AA/AF, etc.

I vaguely seem to recall that Mojang/Notch actually did not want people to use anti-aliasing because of the graphical style, but I could be totally wrong.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Thanks!

I should be on 64-bit. I switched when it started supporting it I believe. When it started saying I need to use 64 if I want to use Far.

1.7 doesn't use Far as an amount anymore. It's Chunk count now:

Which gives me this blatant showoff of a screenshot:
Which for some reason has no fog and doesn't seem far. I need to get OptiFine back. I miss all my options. And the fog. Where is the fog? That mountain is so much bigger and has my brother's entire area in it passed the edge of that shot. Edit: The fog is in the screenshot from before. Does it only appear when on ground level? Edit2: Nope. I can't get it back now. I didn't change anything. Why is it now not showing up?

Also, I both like and hate snow falling on 90+ levels. I wish they'd raised it to 128 or higher. It's just covering all my shit! (Should be a server option really. Unless it is.)

Edit: Oh and by the way, yes, the other temples that existed in my world before I trimmed the chunks do exist. Including a desert temple that is in the middle of some plains as well.

Edit again: Oh now I'm getting fog. WTF? It's so inconsistent. Bug?

Mengy

Edit again: Oh now I'm getting fog. WTF? It's so inconsistent. Bug?

Well if you got your fog working again then congrats. Mine hasn;t worked since the update, and from what I'm reading it won't until Mojang fixes it.

Other than that though, I freakin love this patch. I've spent most of my day exploring new lands, and I'm in love with the terrain generator in 1.7.2. The variety is so much better. I haven't even found a mesa, ice spike, or redwood biome yet, but I did find my favorite Minecraft mountain EVER, right in my very own Mengy's Land. Check out this monstrosity I stumbled upon :

It goes way up above the clouds, and has several huge chasms inside of it, with a few waterfalls and lava falls, some of which are dozens of blocks tall. This is all the same mountain from various angles.

I think I found my new main base....

-Minsc-

Is the IP address of NeoCraft in the OP still valid? I'd like to join in once the shift to 1.7 is complete.

We got a new one sometime a while back, it should be up-to-date in the OP. As of a few months ago the Whitelist was accidentally wiped so you if you were here before you may need to fire off a message to Ark or Charlie.

kiguel182

Just a quick question:

When you update the Minecraft version how do you do so that the new changes apply to the old worlds you had?

For example I did the horse update but my old world didn't show any differences and now 1.7 seems awesome but will I notice anything different in already created maps?

(sorry if this sounds confusing but I really don't know how this part of the game works)

Drazgul

Only newly generated chunks would be affected on old worlds, so you'd have to explore areas you've never been to before to get the new terrain generation.

bengraven

I think I'm going to create a new world to compliment my massive SP game.

Then MCEdit the most important structures, like my Pioneer Village and massive massive manor into the new world.

Mengy

I think I'm going to create a new world to compliment my massive SP game.

Then MCEdit the most important structures, like my Pioneer Village and massive massive manor into the new world.

I was going to start a new world for 1.7, but I instead decided to simply walk 3000 blocks east in the nether and pop out instead. At this point I'm going to stick with this SSP world until it's size becomes a performance issue.

HOWEVER, I am going to start a new amplified world to play alongside my good old SSP map, so that will be from scratch. I'm curious to see if I get tired of the extreme amplification or if it seduces me with it's absurdity. Either way it should be fun to build in!

Does anyone have a good "getting started" guide with Thermal Expansion? I'm playing FTB and want to try out other mods than just IC2 but get lost in how to progress and what does what. Also, is there a way to create a sorting system through pipes without redpower2?

I was bored so I made a normal 1.7.2 world and just headed off in one direction. In my boredom while journeying through a vast stretch of water I decided to fly about under the water when I came upon a lit building on the ocean floor.

VDhJKXq.jpg

"Oooooh, is this some cool new ocean dungeon?"

Nope. I had stumbled across a random ender portal room haha!

J3gCFV9.jpg

Totally not connected to a stronghold at all. Single room surrounded by water on the sea floor.

Mengy

Totally not connected to a stronghold at all. Single room surrounded by water on the sea floor.

It's not connected, but the stronghold is very close by, you would just have to dig around to find it. This happens quite a bit actually, makes finding the portal very easy!

Mirk

welp I feel out of the loop. So is gafland being reset? I am cool with that as long as gafland 2.0 has a working end. (beedy eye stare at ark)

Also I haven't had the time to get NeoCrack up to date with everything. Still don't know what I should do with it yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well if you got your fog working again then congrats. Mine hasn;t worked since the update, and from what I'm reading it won't until Mojang fixes it.
Okay. After doing some testing and listening to BDoubleO, I believe I figured something out.

I don't get any fog or darkened sky if I have my distance set to 16. But if I change it to 15, fog and darkened sky works. So weird. Edit: Hmm, maybe not. It's still inconsistent. I think 1.7 is a bit buggy. I loaded it up yesterday and it started playing two songs at once. Buuuuugs.

To 1.6.4. I hope you seriously didn't believe it would be 1.7.2?
Minsc ya a git you know that ? ;-) Not been on Neocraft for a few days, been lost in the murky world of Femshep/Liara fanfic (not all of it involves Quarian sweat). Anyway I had a look on Mulitplays server page and they had this to say :-

some work fare guy at mulitplay said:
Alright guys, I'm glad to announce we've gotten Minecraft 1.7.2 successfully tested and deployed to all servers! In order to take advantage of this fantastic new update, just make sure you're using a MINECRAFT VANILLA (1.7.2-Release) profile, and restart your server - it will be automagically updated for you!

Please note that Bukkit, Bukkit Dev, and Forge will all remain on 1.6.4 until their 1.7.2-compatible versions are released!

TL;DR Multiplay has VANILLA 1.7.2 running but has to wait for the bukkit guys to update bukkit before we can use 1.7.2

Whatever happened to integrating Bukkit into the game? Didn't they hire the entire Bukkit team?

I believe they changed the order of priorities to something like :-

Priority 1 - Notch buys a new diving watch
Priority 2 - Notch buys a new diving watch
Priority 3 - Notch buys a new diving watch
Priority 4 - Notch learns to swim
Priority 5 - Notch learns to dive
Priority 6 - Notch learns he gets an allergic reaction to water.

etc
etc
etc

Priority 25 - Hell freezes over
Priority 26 - Mod API gets made
Priority 27 - Bukkit gets integrated into minecraft.

I fully expect my grandkids will one day tell me about Minecraft and how it has finally had bukkit integrated into it which is kinda worrying since I don't even have kids so bugger all chance of ever having any grandkids.

-Minsc-

Whatever happened to integrating Bukkit into the game? Didn't they hire the entire Bukkit team?

From the recent release notes of 1.7.2.

"Update: Pre-release 1.7.2 has been released to address some serious crashes, including the inability to start on some Linux computers.

It feels like we’ve been working on this for a year now, with more than half a million lines of code changed over 1,104 commits we’ve been working extremely hard on this update. We’re calling this one “The update that changed the world”, because it really has in two different ways; there’s over twice the amount of ingame biomes, and we’ve overhauled lots of the code preparing for the plugin API."

https://mojang.com/2013/10/minecraft-1-7-the-update-that-changed-the-world/

I'll take them at their word that the API is still coming.

thespot84

so my nephew just started playing minecraft on his tablet and it piqued my interest enough to go look at old saves....

Is anyone interest in gafland from 2010/2011? I ran the gaf server for about 5 months and gave it to Timan but don't know what happened to it since. I have a few backups, one of which I just converted to 1.6.2 for shits (this was all beta). Let me know if anyone wants it or if we could throw it up in the multiverse, which would be cool.

Perkel

Banned

"Update: Pre-release 1.7.2 has been released to address some serious crashes, including the inability to start on some Linux computers.

It feels like we’ve been working on this for a year now, with more than half a million lines of code changed over 1,104 commits we’ve been working extremely hard on this update. We’re calling this one “The update that changed the world”, because it really has in two different ways; there’s over twice the amount of ingame biomes, and we’ve overhauled lots of the code preparing for the plugin API."

yeah i talked with few modders and changes they made are good. They are really going to give people API. NAturally with their pace we won't probably see it to like 2018...

Mengy

Gafland gets reset and Neocraft trundles on.

Man, I am SOOO looking forward to us starting a new map for Gafland. On one hand it's a shame because we've made some really awesome things on Gafland in the short time it's been up, I mean people have been busy. But on the happy hand, man is 1.7 freaking sweet. I love all of the new stuff. dozens of flowers, the new wood types and colors, stained glass. It all really adds a lot to building creativity and variety. Wood and stone style villages have never looked better. And the land generation, man is it so much improved. I mean wow, I took a ride back to my old base in my SSP world last night and the difference really hit me in the face. I'll never go back to the old generation area again for anything other than nostalgia. In fact I'm thinking of abandoning it altogether and simply starting a brand new world fresh from 1.7 so it can all be the new biomes.

And that's the best thing about starting a new map for Gafland 1.7, we won't need to reset it like this again for a very long, long time. As long as we keep Gafland pure survival I'll be playing the shit out of it for a long, long time too. I'm eager to see what GAF will build with all of this new stuff!!!

Think about it Charlie, Dome City with colored glass!!! Red Dome, Blue Dome, Yellow Dome... :D

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member

From the 5 minutes of Google searching I've done, it looks like the MCP guys (The deobfuscation files that all modders use to write their mods) are complaining about how much Mojang has changed. This is both a good and bad thing, because allegedly BlockIDs are getting nixed (no incompatibilities in save files), but it'll take months before you start to see mods for 1.7.

I'm still slightly worried though about any modding API Mojang implements, 90% of mods originating on SSP use Forge API, which has tailored itself for years based on requests for hooks and features from major modders. I'm not sure anything Mojang or Bukkit can put out will match that tailored eco-system straight away, wich'll require another major mod rewrite, if not a delay while modders request features for the API.

789shadow

Banned
From the 5 minutes of Google searching I've done, it looks like the MCP guys (The deobfuscation files that all modders use to write their mods) are complaining about how much Mojang has changed. This is both a good and bad thing, because allegedly BlockIDs are getting nixed (no incompatibilities in save files), but it'll take months before you start to see mods for 1.7.

I'm still slightly worried though about any modding API Mojang implements, 90% of mods originating on SSP use Forge API, which has tailored itself for years based on requests for hooks and features from major modders. I'm not sure anything Mojang or Bukkit can put out will match that tailored eco-system straight away, wich'll require another major mod rewrite, if not a delay while modders request features for the API.
So I'm not going to be able to play Minecraft for months because Optifine isn't going to be updated? FUCK.

New Minecon cape is out there; it's jade green with a piston on the back.

Don't know if want. (No, I am not gifting it or giving it away to anyone. :p)

kennah

so my nephew just started playing minecraft on his tablet and it piqued my interest enough to go look at old saves....

Is anyone interest in gafland from 2010/2011? I ran the gaf server for about 5 months and gave it to Timan but don't know what happened to it since. I have a few backups, one of which I just converted to 1.6.2 for shits (this was all beta). Let me know if anyone wants it or if we could throw it up in the multiverse, which would be cool.

I'd love a copy. That's my favourite world ever, so much time spent.

Top Bottom