• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

I just happened to be watching live, and I recognized your name. Pretty cool! Did they just give you a 360 without any controllers or cables?

It's a 4GB Go model, so it has all the cables and such. I'll probably never use it, though. :)

God damn, this entire day's been a blur. Gotta get to sleep. I'll be back on Neocraft tomorrow evening!

I just happened to be watching live, and I recognized your name. Pretty cool! Did they just give you a 360 without any controllers or cables?

It's a 4GB Go model, so it has all the cables and such. I'll probably never use it, though. :)

God damn, this entire day's been a blur. Gotta get to sleep. I'll be back on Neocraft tomorrow evening!
You have some time if you're planning to do anything.

-Minsc-

You have some time if you're planning to do anything.

Congrats man! Get some rest then we can schedule some times for "nihontiger & friends". :)

Didn't know there was a GAF server, I just bought this on Friday so I'll have to get in on that.

Just pm us your minecraft name (or post here whatever you feel comfortable with) and I will add you to the whitelist.

It could've been much much worse Nihon, you could've won the booby prize called the Xbone :p . Anyway congrats on winning now what the hell you doing on Neocraft that is full of losers not winners ;-)

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, since you guys are all clamoring for Vanilla additions, I figured I should share a few mods I discovered while searching for updated mods for 1.6.2. These are the type of mods that you don't think you'll need, but you'll probably notice it if they're gone. Most of these I think should be in the vanilla game.

Multi Mine: This changes the way you mine blocks. If stop mining partway through, the block will remember how mined it was, so you can continue mining it without having to start over. If you make a mistake, no problem, the block will gradually heal itself if you leave it alone. Invaluable while obsidian mining, especially if you're being pushed away by water currents.

http://www.atomicstryker.net/multimine.html

Matmos: Matmos constantly scans the blocks around you, and plays atmospheric sounds appropriate to where you are. For example, it plays rushing waves and seagulls when you're close to sand and water, howling wind when you're in mountainous regions, and drippy, danky sounds when you're deep in caves.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/379925-162-matmos-r25-environmental-sound-atmosphere-simulator/

Smart Moving: Gives your characters mountain climbing skills and more animations, and two extra buttons (Grab and Sprint). Using the grab, you can vault up 1-block heights without using jump, amble over 2-block high walls, climb up 3-block high walls by jumping and grabbing the edge, or scale 4-block high fences by crouching, holding jump, releasing jump, and holding the grab button once you're up in the air. You can also crawl through 1x1 block holes, double-tap 'A', 'S', or 'D' do a quick-step in that direction, or get an extra burst of speed by holding the mod-specific sprint button, even while using vanilla sprint. The mod also reworks swimming and flying physics with added animations, and a few other neat tricks (Diving head-first, hanging off of iron grates and closed trap-doors, sliding along the ground)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/361430-164smp-smart-moving/
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/738498-164api-player-api/

You'll need Forge for all of these, the 'Installer' jar file will add a Forge Version of Minecraft in your Versions drop-down box in your Minecraft launcher.

http://files.minecraftforge.net/

Honourable mention goes to RedPower 2, this is the only major content mod I've felt kept to the spirit and theme of Minecraft, and yet added many new features (Integrated Redstone circuits, micro-blocks, Mobile frames that can move other blocks, Buildable computers) to help you build complex machines with simple parts. Unfortunately, the mod author, Eloraam, seems to have fallen off the face of the earth, the last update was for Minecraft 1.4.6. However, many mod authors have written copy-cat mods, including Project Red.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Eloraam/videos
http://www.eloraam.com/
http://projectred.endermedia.org/
These sound great!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
It could've been much much worse Nihon, you could've won the booby prize called the Xbone :p . Anyway congrats on winning now what the hell you doing on Neocraft that is full of losers not winners ;-)
hey now; i won a movie night for two at the last wedding reception i went to.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's still there, quote the OP for the IP. You may need to get re-whitelisted. Currently we have two worlds on the server. There's the previous NeoCraft which is available for both survival and creative building. Then there's Gafland, a survival only wold created back in August. Gafland will be short lived however as it'll be reset once 1.7 hits (NeoCraft will remain).

Who do I PM to get rewhitelisted? I put in the info from the OP but it jsut says it's pinging, and wont let me join.

Minecraft name is DrForester.

Camjo-Z

Just pm us your minecraft name (or post here whatever you feel comfortable with) and I will add you to the whitelist.

Camjo_Z14

Well, since you guys are all clamoring for Vanilla additions, I figured I should share a few mods I discovered while searching for updated mods for 1.6.2. These are the type of mods that you don't think you'll need, but you'll probably notice it if they're gone. Most of these I think should be in the vanilla game.

I definitely need to use these.

Crispy75

i will also try to add myself (or i am already added ?)
perkel666

its constantly in ...ping stage. Can't connect

help ?
i am trying to use

use [email tags to hide the IP. Spoilers can be read by guests.

also, edit your profile in the launcher to use version 1.6.4. The server hasn't been updated to 1.7.2 yet.

i will also try to add myself (or i am already added ?)
perkel666

its constantly in ...ping stage. Can't connect

Added you, Drforrester and Camjo to the whitelist so you all should be able to interact with the world now.

As for your connection probs perkel, not sure what is going on. I just logged on now and it worked fine. As Crispy said the server is still running 1.6.4 so make sure you have that version.

thespot84

Added you, Drforrester and Camjo to the whitelist so you all should be able to interact with the world now.

As for your connection probs perkel, not sure what is going on. I just logged on now and it worked fine. As Crispy said the server is still running 1.6.4 so make sure you have that version.

Would love to check the new world out.

<- thespot84 in MC

Would love to check the new world out.

All sorted you should be able to interact with the world now. Remember there are two worlds on the server Neocraft (the one you spawn too automatically) and gafland (our current survival only world) to get too gafland just bring the chat console up and type :-

/mv tp gafland

to get back to Neocraft just type :-

/spawn

Things are a bit quiet on the server right now because everyone is waiting the inevitable update to 1.7.2

I generated 4 different 1.7.2 single-player worlds. An average of flying around in each one for an hour and a half yielded ZERO villages or structures of any kind. Suffice to say, I hate 1.7.2 so far. Either village spawning is fucked, or my luck is that terrible.

belushy

Banned
Your luck is just terrible. :p
I found two Desert temples pretty close to each other in my SP world.

However I am having a very hard time finding a Mesa biome. I want all dat clay.

Grinchy

Banned
I generated 4 different 1.7.2 single-player worlds. An average of flying around in each one for an hour and a half yielded ZERO villages or structures of any kind. Suffice to say, I hate 1.7.2 so far. Either village spawning is fucked, or my luck is that terrible.

I was surprised in the world I made that I had zero animals spawn around me. I ended up starving 3 times before switching it to creative and flying around. I flew around for 10 minutes before finding sheep, 15 minutes before finding a single pig. Something was up with that world.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Looks like Mojang hired two new developers to work on MInecraft, Searge and MogMiner:

https://twitter.com/Marc_IRL/status/397439030448885760

Searge is the guy responsible for MCP, so if they have hired him then it's a good bet he is there to help out with the mod API. He'll most likely be the guy responsible for maintaining and updating the API down the road.

Looks like Mojang hired two new developers to work on MInecraft, Searge and MogMiner:

Searge is the guy responsible for MCP, so if they have hired him then it's a good bet he is there to help out with the mod API. He'll most likely be the guy responsible for maintaining and updating the API down the road.

Funny enough, I ran into MogMiner at the airport today. We were both in line going through security for like half an hour (holy shit, was there a lot of people)

789shadow

Banned
I was surprised in the world I made that I had zero animals spawn around me. I ended up starving 3 times before switching it to creative and flying around. I flew around for 10 minutes before finding sheep, 15 minutes before finding a single pig. Something was up with that world.
I spawned in a field surrounded by Roofed Forest that had horses, pigs, cows and chickens, maybe even some sheep.

But I died due to poor framerate.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
However I am having a very hard time finding a Mesa biome. I want all dat clay.
I've found two in my family server by randomly teleporting to far away coordinates. One is really tiny. I'm using it for harvesting. The other one is huge.

The only biome I haven't found yet is an Ice Spikes biome. Plenty of snow areas, but no damn ice spikes. I don't know what I'd do with packed ice, but I want it.

Finding a mesa has been extremely hard on my server. Marching thousands of blocks into new chunks, walking through savanna after savanna and desert after desert with no luck.

Do have a nice ice spike plains though. And one of the most ridiculous mountains I've ever seen. But no mesas.

Sarcasm

Does anybody have a 1.7.2 server? If so can I join? I can barely play and tired of playing alone as in even on a server.

Drazgul

Very cool, unless that means the 1.7.2 MCP will be delayed even further. That would be... not cool.

So minecraft is coming to ps4 ps3 and vita in time for the launch of PS4..

No footage, no news no nothing.

it is out this month.. anyone else think this is dodgy?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
So minecraft is coming to ps4 ps3 and vita in time for the launch of PS4..

No footage, no news no nothing.

it is out this month.. anyone else think this is dodgy?
seems like it'd be pretty much a no-brainer port. dont see why it'd need much press. hell it barely even had an announcement.

troopershades

Neo Member

Would be nice to get some kind of time table for this mythical mod API. What's it been...2-3 years since they announced it? I hope your feelings about them getting help with it are true.

Seanspeed

Banned
seems like it'd be pretty much a no-brainer port. dont see why it'd need much press. hell it barely even had an announcement.
It would be good to advertise still. Not everybody knows about Minecraft, many people will have dismissed/ignored it if they didn't have a 360 or didn't PC game and of course it would be nice for people that *are* interested in it to know a bit more about what they're getting, how much it costs and just generally building up hype. People like being hyped.

I'm super curious to see how fully featured the Vita version is. PE is garbage in my opinion, but the idea of portable Minecraft is still a compelling one.

Mengy

So, I think this book just came out today:

Minecraft: The Unlikely Story of Markus Perrson

251805-mine.jpg

Anyone planning on buying it? I'm vaguely interested enough in reading it that I may actually buy it myself...

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. :D

I have one more mod for you, Better Grass and Leaves Mod. In addition to adding fuzz to all your leaves and grass blocks, It adds falling leaves, grass animations (Rustles the grass when you walk through it), footprints in sand and snow, algae in pools, modified cacti, and blood fx. Obviously a personal preference, but good as a toggleable option.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/508886-164-forge-better-grass-leaves-mod-v164c/

Edit: No I didn't write this mod, I'm just suggesting mods, don't be silly.

Wookieomg

Whitelist request please!

Wookieomg

Also, I'm curious about the rules for the server. And what areas are allotted for us to build our own stuff?

UF_C

Banned

Wookieomg

Also, I'm curious about the rules for the server. And what areas are allotted for us to build our own stuff?

I'd like to echo this post. Everything looks amazing, even trees that were probably spawned at creation look like they should be exactly where they are. I'm afraid to touch anything out of respect for others on the server.

I've never played on Hard setting before and the game kicked my ass. Even in tons of light mobs just wouldn't relent. Add to this that I didn't want to destroy someone else's work...sharing some rules would be quite helpful.

masud

Banned
I'd like to echo this post. Everything looks amazing, even trees that were probably spawned at creation look like they should be exactly where they are. I'm afraid to touch anything out of respect for others on the server.

I've never played on Hard setting before and the game kicked my ass. Even in tons of light mobs just wouldn't relent. Add to this that I didn't want to destroy someone else's work...sharing some rules would be quite helpful.

Build a house in an empty part of spawn village (east side of town is empty) for larger builds just travel out till you find an empty area, there's still plenty of space. Use the dynamap in the op, it's very helpful.

Edit:I'm assuming that you're talking about gafland.

Found a Savanna village in my single player world, surprised the hell out of me. Do any of the other new Biomes have buildings?

Wookieomg

Build a house in an empty part of spawn village (east side of town is empty) for larger builds just travel out till you find an empty area, there's still plenty of space. Use the dynamap in the op, it's very helpful.

Edit:I'm assuming that you're talking about gafland.

Awesome, good to know. I'm excited to play on Gafland.. Survival mode hard mode? Yes please! Creative is fantastic, but to me, Minecraft is all about dat survival. :D Will be looking forward to many fun adventures with fellow Gaffers!

Morokh

There is no set rules per say, but as long as you don't step on other's people toes, don't destroy anything, replant what you harvested on other's people farms, you should be fine.

It's usually also not recommended to mess around with redstone stuff if you don't really understand it, or with villager trading setups, because that may mess things up for the owner.

Travelling in a straight line for hours outside of the unexplored parts can lead in the server to struggle in the long run, so just keep that in mind (although that one might prove difficult to deal with in 1.7 xD)

Only real exception might be in community builds/towns where the person who started the project set some specific rules, but usually when it happens there is a big sign board somewhere with everything you have to know.

On a more personal note i would say, don't break spawners you find, just loot/secure them and be reasonable with resources that come in limited quantity.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
the only rule of pandaland is dont hurt my villagers and anything in an unlocked chest is fair game. loot my villager excess for daaaaaaaaaaays. i hide all the good stuff anyway. ;)

-SD-

Banned
So, when is Minecraft 2 going to be announced? I mean, since Mojang has tons of money now and lots of employees they can't just be all there for Minecraft updates and Scrolls?

Hopefully Minecraft 2 is being worked on in the background with some other language than Java and with a more professional team and development approach.

Morokh

So, when is Minecraft 2 going to be announced? I mean, since Mojang has tons of money now and lots of employees they can't just be all there for Minecraft updates and Scrolls?

Hopefully Minecraft 2 is being worked on in the background with some other language than Java and with a more professional team and development approach.

Minecraft 2 ? not anytime soon as long as the game goes that strong I guess.

I also don't understand how that would make sense, they still have a ton of stuff ahead of them, and even if they were to change the engine what would they do that they already don't ? rewriting stuff ? adding more stuff ? like they do now ? (at a snails pace i'll grant you that, but still)
The change of engine is perfectly possible with the current game as shown with the Xbox version, now as to why they don't do it for PC I have no clue.

tons of employees ?
https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/331367-employees

That's not much if you consider only the devs+artists (and there are names coming up twice on that page)

On top of Minecraft and Scrolls there is also Cobalt and Minecraft PE that is done in-house.

Sarcasm

Minecraft 2 ? not anytime soon as long as the game goes that strong I guess.

I also don't understand how that would make sense, they still have a ton of stuff ahead of them, and even if they were to change the engine what would they do that they already don't ? rewriting stuff ? adding more stuff ? like they do now ? (at a snails pace i'll grant you that, but still)
The change of engine is perfectly possible with the current game as shown with the Xbox version, now as to why they don't do it for PC I have no clue.

tons of employees ?
https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/331367-employees

That's not much if you consider only the devs+artists (and there are names coming up twice on that page)

On top of Minecraft and Scrolls there is also Cobalt and Minecraft PE that is done in-house.

Some more indie developers push out more content with way less employees.

All sorted you should be able to interact with the world now. As for rules well it's mainly just common sense stuff like don't be a dick on other peoples builds and if you use other peoples farms/animals then at least replant the crops and repopulate the animals.

In terms of where you can build you can build pretty much anywhere there is free space. There are a couple of community builds on the Neocraft world that have specific rules regarding style and design but outside that you can build what and where you like

-Minsc-

The early beginnings of Gafland can be seen in this video of nihon's. It's cool seeing how much people did with space.

Edit: Just another reminder, Gafland will be reset once the server updates to 1.7. That doesn't keep me from building though. :)

Mengy

Currently there are absolutely zero plans for Minecraft 2. Although, the argument could be said that they plan to transition Minecraft into a 2.0 version within a year or two, which is three updates from now. The rumor is that version 2.0 will be the mod API patch fully implemented. Which, will make running mods much, much easier, and should make updates far less painful with respect to breaking mods.

If they just offered a C++ version of the client for PC users I'd be very happy. Something with FAR better performance. If they have any plans to do so they have kept it completely secret so far. :(

Top Bottom