• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Think about it Charlie, Dome City with colored glass!!! Red Dome, Blue Dome, Yellow Dome... :D

You are not thinking "outside the dome" enough Mengy ;-) never mind coloured domes what about the domes coloured with flag colours. The first thing I am gonna do when Neocraft updates to 1.7 blah blah is convert the Amusement park dome from clear glass into coloured glass into the form of the union Jack :-

union-jack.jpg

The reception dome might just get the N7 logo on it from Mass Effect 3 too :-D

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't actually look into the new biomes yet, so when I came across this, I was pretty shocked. From the distance it looked like someone had somehow built a tower in my newly-created SP world. I didn't realize until I got closer that it was just some kind of biome.

2013-10-30_22.25.06mpoqd.png

limlark

So I just logged on and found myself in Mengy's house in spawntown, which is not where I was when I logged off, or anytime in the past that I can recall. Then the same thing happened to my brother. What's up there?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I just logged on and found myself in Mengy's house in spawntown, which is not where I was when I logged off, or anytime in the past that I can recall. Then the same thing happened to my brother. What's up there?

My house was designed, via very complicated redstone I might add, to collect players who haven't logged in for some time and slowly corrupt them to look just like me. Lucky that you logged in when you did, before the process could be completed. Soon, the server will be inundated by MInecraft players who all look just like Rorschach from Watchmen.

Soon.

-Minsc-

Hey folks, I just attempted to log on NeoCraft and things seem to be quite laggy and slow loading. Anyways I logged in near Panda's place and seemed to have suffered a lag death. underground. Thankfully I had hit F3 shortly before I died so I was able to get the coordinates. If somebody could be so kind and get my stuff for me? It should be all found near x: -656, y: 13, and z: -993. This is assuming you don't experience any lag issues. :) The important stuff would be two or three enchanted diamond picks, diamond axe, and diamond chest piece. There was probably quartz there too. Thanks!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hey folks, I just attempted to log on NeoCraft and things seem to be quite laggy and slow loading. Anyways I logged in near Panda's place and seemed to have suffered a lag death. underground. Thankfully I had hit F3 shortly before I died so I was able to get the coordinates. If somebody could be so kind and get my stuff for me? It should be all found near x: -656, y: 13, and z: -993. This is assuming you don't experience any lag issues. :) The important stuff would be two or three enchanted diamond picks, diamond axe, and diamond chest piece. There was probably quartz there too. Thanks!
got em; stuffs in a chest on the floor of my tower.

Drazgul

Did you even try 1.7 without it, many of the changes they made to the code also concerned optimization and performance.

Yep, the new built-in mipmapping for example is MUCH better than Optifine's ever was.

Is Bukkit also reliant on MCP btw.?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yep, the new built-in mipmapping for example is MUCH better than Optifine's ever was.

I have to agree that the new graphics options are nice. I just wish I could get the draw distance in 1.7 working like it used to. For the first time ever I just might look into mods like optifine to increase draw distance over default.

Is optifine the best mod for increasing draw distance, or are there better ones? I don't care at all about increasing texture sizes or improving the graphical "look", I just want to see farther away.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member

Unless Bukkit wastes resources reinventing the wheel, yes. MCP is the first step in modding minecraft, it deobfuscates all the class files.

Also, a PSA for server owners, if you are currently running 1.6.2, upgrade to 1.6.4 and explore all special vanilla structures in the world before going to 1.7, the special zones that define a witch's hut and nether fortress will be lost.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The things I miss from Optifine the most are; Connected textures which make certain textures look more realistic like glass being one big sheet or so, randomness which would make certain textures have variations so it wasn't completely tiled, and the ability to have higher draw distances. Until MC gets those features built in it won't be perfect. Oh, and the ability to raise the damn cloud height. Come on!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ye I think connected textures needed to be added to vanilla pronto!
Connected textures and randomness. Pretty much everything from Optifine. Being able to change the texture of wood fences to look like actual wood fences (So it uses a different texture from the plain wood) with each piece being a separate log via a separate texture is amazing. They should have just bought it up and integrated everything into the game. Make it better than having to wait every time. And put all the excess options under the Advanced menu. Optifine just adds so many new features for texture pack developers. It feels wrong not having them. And if it were part of the game, more texture pack creators would take advantage of them. (Like Painterly and not just the John Smith people.)

I had a chance to fiddle about with 1.7.2 today (in singleplayer). Initial thoughts are that an amplified world sucks donkey balls. I keep getting very small islands that have a huge height and are a pain in the arse to explore (seriously would it hurt Mojang to give us the ability to CLIMB).

Performance wise 90% of the time it is pretty good but now and again I get the odd freeze and framerate drops down to 2fps form 100fps. Also a bit annoyed that Nvidias shadowplay doesn't work with minecraft.

I might take another look at 1.7.2 again with a non-amplified world and see if things improve.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Well, since you guys are all clamoring for Vanilla additions, I figured I should share a few mods I discovered while searching for updated mods for 1.6.2. These are the type of mods that you don't think you'll need, but you'll probably notice it if they're gone. Most of these I think should be in the vanilla game.

Multi Mine: This changes the way you mine blocks. If stop mining partway through, the block will remember how mined it was, so you can continue mining it without having to start over. If you make a mistake, no problem, the block will gradually heal itself if you leave it alone. Invaluable while obsidian mining, especially if you're being pushed away by water currents.

http://www.atomicstryker.net/multimine.html

Matmos: Matmos constantly scans the blocks around you, and plays atmospheric sounds appropriate to where you are. For example, it plays rushing waves and seagulls when you're close to sand and water, howling wind when you're in mountainous regions, and drippy, danky sounds when you're deep in caves.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/379925-162-matmos-r25-environmental-sound-atmosphere-simulator/

Smart Moving: Gives your characters mountain climbing skills and more animations, and two extra buttons (Grab and Sprint). Using the grab, you can vault up 1-block heights without using jump, amble over 2-block high walls, climb up 3-block high walls by jumping and grabbing the edge, or scale 4-block high fences by crouching, holding jump, releasing jump, and holding the grab button once you're up in the air. You can also crawl through 1x1 block holes, double-tap 'A', 'S', or 'D' do a quick-step in that direction, or get an extra burst of speed by holding the mod-specific sprint button, even while using vanilla sprint. The mod also reworks swimming and flying physics with added animations, and a few other neat tricks (Diving head-first, hanging off of iron grates and closed trap-doors, sliding along the ground)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/361430-164smp-smart-moving/
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/738498-164api-player-api/

You'll need Forge for all of these, the 'Installer' jar file will add a Forge Version of Minecraft in your Versions drop-down box in your Minecraft launcher.

http://files.minecraftforge.net/

Honourable mention goes to RedPower 2, this is the only major content mod I've felt kept to the spirit and theme of Minecraft, and yet added many new features (Integrated Redstone circuits, micro-blocks, Mobile frames that can move other blocks, Buildable computers) to help you build complex machines with simple parts. Unfortunately, the mod author, Eloraam, seems to have fallen off the face of the earth, the last update was for Minecraft 1.4.6. However, many mod authors have written copy-cat mods, including Project Red.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Eloraam/videos
http://www.eloraam.com/
http://projectred.endermedia.org/

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Try out Mekanism (Universal Electricity Mod) for some interesting machines.

I have, and while it's great we have an electricty mod/API alternate to the holy trinity of Industral Craft 2, Buildcraft 4, and Railcraft, I don't feel that it's something that should be in Vanilla Minecraft, nor should IC2, BC4, and RC be in Vanilla. (Some aspects of Railcraft, possibly, but it's Steam module is too incomplete without installing more mods to help manipulate the steam generated, but too awesome not to use. It also complicates the hell out of constructing the tracks, opting for a more realistic approach rather simply using the crafting table.)

RP2, in my opinon, maintains the spirit of Minecraft by giving the tools you need to build a device you want, rather then just giving you a block that does something.

Compare tree farms:
RP2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KNg1arqUaI
Forestry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M5zE-8vKKs

Xun

For when GAFLand gets reset, perhaps we should look into doing a proper train station as one of the first projects? Something like this:

Minecraft-train-station.png

Martian

I'm kind of scared there hasn't been more news on the PS3/4/vita version of the game.

I know its going to be a direct port from Xbone/360, but its been silent since august. They havent said anything about a release that except it would be in launch window of ps4.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
MineCon Day 2 is streaming live right now. I just happened to open MineCraft right before it started.

I didn't see day 1. Nor do I know anything about this. Did I miss anyone actually good on day 1? I really only watch BDoubleO and maybe Etho. (Who never appears in public last I checked.)

MineCon Day 2 is streaming live right now. I just happened to open MineCraft right before it started.

I didn't see day 1. Nor do I know anything about this. Did I miss anyone actually good on day 1? I really only watch BDoubleO and maybe Etho. (Who never appears in public last I checked.)

Not a whole lot. Best panels are on Day 2 and Mindcrack panel is going on now.

legacyzero

Banned
For when GAFLand gets reset, perhaps we should look into doing a proper train station as one of the first projects? Something like this:

I'm loving that idea, actually. The current train station isn't very remarkable IMO.

Would also be cool if we had some kind of "you are here" map in the station.

belushy

Banned

When the server is updated, I do want to do more community based builds. When I joined I kind of just ran away from spawn first thing, mainly because I just assumed all the resources where dried out already. It would be awesome having a proper nether hub/Overworld hub.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not a whole lot. Best panels are on Day 2 and Mindcrack panel is going on now.
Just watched it. Exactly what I wanted. BDubs is awesome.

Also, the Notch interview is starting now. In case anyone is interested. I'd be more interested in them interviewing the people actually in charge of MineCraft now. Jeb and DinnerBone basically.

Crispy75

I think I've actually finished my castle. Well, I say finished, there's still loads of stuff I *could* do to it, but fuck that , quite frankly. So long as you dont go looking for them, you cant see the missing bits :) I think I am done with MC now for a bit. Wake me up when the server updates!

PS: I still think we should start completely from scratch...

Ranger X

I had a chance to fiddle about with 1.7.2 today (in singleplayer). Initial thoughts are that an amplified world sucks donkey balls.

IT DOES Charles. I don't know what you were expecting. Its clear its the same generation algorythm but with some height variable cranked up max. Of course this will give shitty results as the generation is not balanced for such a setting. I suppose people impressed by height or want a world focusing on height might like but that's about it.

They really should work on some more useful options like biome frequency, lettings us choose biome percs, world size, etc. I have so many GREAT options in mind that would be both USEFUL and EASY to make available its not even funny. Guys at Mojang needs to dring a nice cool aid of imagination.

-Minsc-

So is the neogaf server gone? Got the itch to play after a long hiatus.

It's still there, quote the OP for the IP. You may need to get re-whitelisted. Currently we have two worlds on the server. There's the previous NeoCraft which is available for both survival and creative building. Then there's Gafland, a survival only wold created back in August. Gafland will be short lived however as it'll be reset once 1.7 hits (NeoCraft will remain).

Blizzard

Banned
By the way, I listened to most of the Notch interview earlier in the day. Though of course it did not really have any news about the various Mojang games, it was a fun interview. He seemed refreshingly down to earth about stuff, admitting he has made dumb comments sometimes, or said things he regretted, saying he thinks he's probably a better designer than programmer, even though he thinks of himself as a programmer, mentioning some of the upsides and downsides of Java, and so forth.

Oh, and I learned that Notch really liked Advance Wars, hooray!

Where do I watch this?
http://www.twitch.tv/mojang/b/476287892

The top three build winners start around 8:08, and at least one was from GAF. :p

It's still there, quote the OP for the IP. You may need to get re-whitelisted. Currently we have two worlds on the server. There's the previous NeoCraft which is available for both survival and creative building. Then there's Gafland, a survival only wold created back in August. Gafland will be short lived however as it'll be reset once 1.7 hits (NeoCraft will remain).
How do I tp to Gafland, or is it the default world when you log in?

By the way, I listened to most of the Notch interview earlier in the day. Though of course it did not really have any news about the various Mojang games, it was a fun interview. He seemed refreshingly down to earth about stuff, admitting he has made dumb comments sometimes, or said things he regretted, saying he thinks he's probably a better designer than programmer, even though he thinks of himself as a programmer, mentioning some of the upsides and downsides of Java, and so forth.

Oh, and I learned that Notch really liked Advance Wars, hooray!

http://www.twitch.tv/mojang/b/476287892

The top three build winners start around 8:08, and at least one was from GAF. :p

When's Nihon show up?

EDIT: Nevermind. Great work, Nihon!

Morokh

Well done Nihon ! :D

Sadly for me I had the busiest week-end and couldn't even catch a glimpse of what happened there .... will have to catch-up !

Top Bottom