• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

defel

as XP grinders seem to mostly be filled with double chests of crap that nobody wants, would it be simpler to have the mobs fall on a hopper which leads to lava disposal somehow? Not thought it through but might lead to less waste strewn around the floor of grinders?

Enderman farm has that built in already. Woohoo!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
as XP grinders seem to mostly be filled with double chests of crap that nobody wants, would it be simpler to have the mobs fall on a hopper which leads to lava disposal somehow? Not thought it through but might lead to less waste strewn around the floor of grinders?

sometimes you do get decent drops though. my current boots came from a grinder. [unbreaking 3, protection 4, featherfalling 3 gold boots]

in unrelated news.
w2GzEGF.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sometimes you do get decent drops though. my current boots came from a grinder. [unbreaking 3, protection 4, featherfalling 3 gold boots]

in unrelated news.
w2GzEGF.jpg

true. I guess you could filter - eg throw away bones and arrows from a skelly farm and put the rest in overflow?

edit: Server down?

Crispy75

Some mob armour drops are pretty good (I have a nice chainmail aqua affinity & respiration hat) - bows too. Also you can't have enough arrows and bonemal :D

When I was building the double zombie grinder, I tried putting a hopper in as the killing floor, but due to the slight dip in the top of it, it allowed some mobs to glitch out of the killzone. I think.

Cmagus

I finished upgrading the Public Mob Grinder to version 2.0! :) .......[/IMG]

I got the grand tour last night this thing is pretty awesome.

Also is there anyway to get an entire world map shot? The one in the op is a dead link and I was interested in looking over the map before I build. If anyone wants to explain how its done then i don't mind doing it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

-Minsc-

Hey all,

I've read all the recent posts and I apologise for taking the signs too seriously. All is chill here, and I wanna say a big thanks to Minsc for posting those guidelines. I feel like I understand things a lot better now :)

FYI I'm now experimenting with adding other rock types to my castle project to make it look more interesting and less mono-block, so hopefully in future it'll be something people won't mind looking at. However there will always be SOME cobblestone as I quite like the look, so I guess you can't please everyone :p

It's nice to know my efforts were appreciated. :)

Im using the ChromaHill resource pack and cobblestone looks really good on it.

Though I am building my fortress in stone blocks :)
This is one of the reasons I stick with the default texture pack. If it looks good on default it should look good everywhere.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
When I was building the double zombie grinder, I tried putting a hopper in as the killing floor, but due to the slight dip in the top of it, it allowed some mobs to glitch out of the killzone. I think.
gave your grinder some anvils and an enchanting table. feel free to de-ugly the enchanting room.

also noticed that the bottom of the lifting tubes were clogged with baby zombies holding zombie flesh, i killed them all but thats something we should keep an eye on.

Crispy75

gave your grinder some anvils and an enchanting table. feel free to de-ugly the enchanting room.

also noticed that the bottom of the lifting tubes were clogged with baby zombies holding zombie flesh, i killed them all but thats something we should keep an eye on.

There's an easy solution. Baby zombies will fit into a 1x1 hole. The zone between the two tubes should therefore contain a lava pit into which the baby Z's can be pushed with an overrun of the flowing water. This should be fun to watch, so I will make sure there is a viewing gallery.

EDIT: I have now implemented this. I got killed by baby zombies with my own sword many times as payment.

Ark

When Mengy is no longer an enemy of the state he needs to add those rules to the OP. I think they might be a bit too long for me to add into the /Rules bit though. But I could do it anyway? :p

-Minsc-

When Mengy is no longer an enemy of the state he needs to add those rules to the OP. I think they might be a bit too long for me to add into the /Rules bit though. But I could do it anyway? :p

Is it possible to and a link to the /rules?

And,

Before we go posting the rules in game we should fill in those numerical values I left open. ;)

Ark

Is it possible to and a link to the /rules?

And,

Before we go posting the rules in game we should fill in those numerical values I left open. ;)

Good idea :p

- The sandbox of Miinecraft is seemingly infinite, give people their space. If you come across a build or land claim be courteous and get permission from the owner before building within "n" blocks of the area.

I'd say 100 blocks would work.

Keep large scale farms "x" blocks away from spawn. An area of "x" blocks is persistently around spawn centre when a player is online. 200 sheep in a small pen in unnecessary.

I'd say 500 blocks here.

Just logged on and say cmagus had moved all his stuff from the lonely little mountain he was occupying next to mine.

You can build up there! I don't mind! :) Most of what my post referred to was making sure no one else built on the remaining mountains, but that's probably not much of an issue now since I've started work on my fortress.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just logged on and say cmagus had moved all his stuff from the lonely little mountain he was occupying next to mine.

You can build up there! I don't mind! :) Most of what my post referred to was making sure no one else built on the remaining mountains, but that's probably not much of an issue now since I've started work on my fortress.

You're a wicked man ;)

Ark

Am I correct in my observation that the server has been a lot less populated recently? An average of 5-10 people online instead of 12-18. Renewal is up 9 days and I was considering putting the slots back down to 15 (memory would stay the same).

Symphonia

Banned
Am I correct in my observation that the server has been a lot less populated recently? An average of 5-10 people online instead of 12-18. Renewal is up 9 days and I was considering putting the slots back down to 15 (memory would stay the same).
I'm in the process of getting my laptop beefed up. Once it's done, I'll be coming back on the Minecraft server on a regular basis. I should be on the whitelist already, but if I'm not, my username is JaegerX1.

MrBig

My observations are about the same, doesn't need to be 20 anymore.

UF_C

Banned

There has been only 1 time I hacvent been able to get on with the current limit of 20 and that was when the server just got flipped. There have been a few times Ive seen at 15-16 (weekends) but its usually just 5-9 people. Whats the cost for the extra 5?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

it seems 15+ only happens on weekends now.

Ark

There has been only 1 time I hacvent been able to get on with the current limit of 20 and that was when the server just got flipped. There have been a few times Ive seen at 15-16 (weekends) but its usually just 5-9 people. Whats the cost for the extra 5?

It's like £3-5 or something, not a problem really, but it's unnecessary to have 20 slots when that many people won't be playing :)

it seems 15+ only happens on weekends now.

If that's the case this weekend then I'll keep it at 20 for a while longer.

also

IMPORTANT NEWS

Arkyoto v2.0 will eventually open up as a community project once I'm done laying down the groundwork (people are welcome to help with the groundwork too :p). It will be completed, even if my CPU melts in the process.

Here is my plan (and pathetic progress) thus-far; opinions welcome:

Ignore the blue-tint, that's my flux & fraps being dumb. I'm unsure of what to put in that lake; I'd put a dragon head statue or something similar there, but I lack such talent. A pagoda would obscure view of the castle.

Staying in-line with a lot of Gafland right now, I've not made any plans for anything huge yet (the port is an exception, because my giant harbour ambitions will one day be realised). The castle is going to take me ages just to get the positioning of it all correct.

-SD-

Banned

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ark, I'd definitely be up for building in Arkyoto 2.0, and would be happy to help with some grunt work too.

You definitely need a shrine water gate in the harbour somewhere

Where is it in relation to spawn, and do you have a portal to it yet?

Cmagus

Its cool man I didn't move my house because of your post. I moved because I have a project I want to do in the forest area.

Ark

Ark, I'd definitely be up for building in Arkyoto 2.0, and would be happy to help with some grunt work too.

You definitely need a shrine water gate in the harbour somewhere

Where is it in relation to spawn, and do you have a portal to it yet?

It...erm....might be 12,000 blocks away from spawn. I'd set up a portal but I actually don't know how.

A water shrine/temple is something I forgot about! That'll fit into the port nicely, good ideas coming out already :)

The trees in the main town area need clearing out so that we can lay out some infrastructure. I'm thinking of not building plots, and just letting people build where ever they want in that area, aside from a main road/path that leads from the castle entrance to the bridge.

dejay

Banned
I checked out the GAF server yesterday. I tried a year or so ago and got a load of dropouts, but yesterday seemed better, although I was the only person there at the time.

I'd like to be whitelisted, if Ark or CC would be so kind. My Minecraft user name is dejay

I haven't really played on a MC server before, despite owning the game since alpha (I think). I have some questions to make sure I don't get off on the wrong foot.

1 - What's the etiquette for going in other's houses?

2 - Am I allowed to take a bunch of farm produce, as long as I replant?

3 - Are there any restrictions on how far I'm allowed to explore and/or build away from spawn?

4 - Where can't I mine? I believe there's a mesa biome south of spawn that's off limits for example. Or is it a case of mine wherever you like underground? What about collecting dirt and sand?

5 - Is the donate button in the OP still the right one? I plan to donate anyway, after testing my connection a few times, but does donation grant anything extra?

6 - I plan to build a 50 block-high penis out of cobblestone at spawn. Is that cool?

That last one's a joke obviously. I'd use smooth stone.

Fuchsdh

I checked out the GAF server yesterday. I tried a year or so ago and got a load of dropouts, but yesterday seemed better, although I was the only person there at the time.

I'd like to be whitelisted, if Ark or CC would be so kind. My Minecraft user name is dejay

I haven't really played on a MC server before, despite owning the game since alpha (I think). I have some questions to make sure I don't get off on the wrong foot.

3 - Are there any restrictions on how far I'm allowed to explore and/or build away from spawn?

4 - Where can't I mine? I believe there's a mesa biome south of spawn that's off limits for example. Or is it a case of mine wherever you like underground? What about collecting dirt and sand?

5 - Is the donate button in the OP still the right one? I plan to donate anyway, after testing my connection a few times, but does donation grant anything extra?

6 - I plan to build a 50 block-high penis out of cobblestone at spawn. Is that cool?

That last one's a joke obviously. I'd use smooth stone.

In terms of gathering sand and dirt, a lot of the "dirt" north of spawn is actually turfed over desert so I would venture to the west or SE to get your sand fix :)

Crispy75

Arkyoto v2.0 will eventually open up as a community project once I'm done laying down the groundwork (people are welcome to help with the groundwork too :p). It will be completed, even if my CPU melts in the process.

Here is my plan (and pathetic progress) thus-far; opinions welcome:

Looks like a sweet location. The castle especially has a great site. Do you have any pics of v1.0 so us newbies can get an idea of the style you're going for?

Cmagus

Going in houses is fine just respect other people stuff like don't go in and trash places and such. If there is a chest that isn't locked in general I'd ask before taking anything.

Look for signs most people are ok with it but just make sure first. I know for me personally I don't care who grabs my stuff as long as you put the seeds back down.

No not really but if you are unsure about an area just ask to see if anyone has that land claimed. Usually if someone has a section claimed you'll see torches everywhere in the area they have.

I believe that mesa is off limits and obviously not mining in other people stuff unless asking first I would say.

Donating gives you the /back feature and a blue name and yes the button in the op is the right one.

I think we already have a dick somewhere so I would say no as then we would have too many dicks on the dance floor.

Everyone is really nice and laid back basically just don't act like an idiot and you'll be fine.

Ark

Looks like a sweet location. The castle especially has a great site. Do you have any pics of v1.0 so us newbies can get an idea of the style you're going for?

I'll post some in the morning for sure. The general theme is an Asian themed town with buildings that are closer together rather than spaced out.

My current plan (and what I'm most likely to go ahead with) is to have the castle grounds entrance be in the direction of the castle entrance itself. That way I can remove the ugly sandstone stairs and create a main road that leads all the way around the lake to the bridge location. I'll need to figure out where to put the train station & subsequent visitor centre to make sure people get the ground rules thrown in their face before they enter the town :p

Added you to the whitelist so you should be good to go now. Any problems then let us know.

Only 50 blocks high, come on man you aint trying hard enough. The testicles alone should be 50 blocks high that is the bare minimum we expect on Gafland :p

dejay

Banned
Only 50 blocks high, come on man you aint trying hard enough. The testicles alone should be 50 blocks high that is the bare minimum we expect on Gafland :p

I'm shamed. I'll start working on something fitting right away. It may take a month to shear enough sheep just for the ejaculate alone.

Thanks for the white listing and thanks to those with answers.

dejay

Banned
Ha - tried to get going from scratch (with a nice gift of iron from someone) but got owned by a bunch of bugs. I'll try again tomorrow.

Morokh

If it's a beautifully crafted one, built in a funny way, why not, we all love a good joke, but if it'll just end up being an humongous pile of cobblestone, you might want to get a bit further from spawn, or any other community project.

Otherwise, have fun :p

Vyktal

So after some deliberation and seeing Arkyoto in-the-making, I've decided I want to relocate my towers so a new undiscovered mountain somewhere out there in Gaf-Land.

It's really cool being able to look down from where I currently am and see the torches and buildings by people like Mack and Fuchsy (sp?), but I'm now very conscious of how close I am to several other people. This not only means that whatever I build they kinda have to look at even if it's not upto standards, but also I'm quite restricted in that I can't expand from the mountaintop once I'm done, and tbh I'm starting to figure out that if I'm building a castle I want to lay out the foundations of where everything will go before I start building upwards. This place has been a good learning experience both socially and architecturally, and I'm actually looking forward to finding a new area with (hopefully) untouched mountaintops, caves and dungeons :) I'd also be happy moving in with new neighbours, as long as there was adequate space for mountain conquering and mining.

TLDR; I'm relocating my towers from the mountaintop over Thorn's place. :)

However I have a few questions to help get me going;

1) What's the best tactic for finding a new big mountain? Should I just head out one direction away from spawn, and every night time just hunker down for the ~7mins in a cave until daylight?
2) Has anyone seen somewhere they reckon might be good for me to check out? Can anyone recommend any particular direction I look?
3) Once I've found the new spot I'd like to set up /home in one place and /back at my old mountaintop to make for quick deconstruction and shifting of tower blocks. To do this, would I need to ask someone to be at my old towers so I can telelport to them, and only then the /back function would work?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any advice :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
/back (assuming you are a donator) doesn't need someone there. It'll return you to the last place you were at before you teleported away

For locations, try the map recently posted and browse for potential locations

Top Bottom