• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Sup Craft-GAF,

So I never really played through MC, although I've owned it since early alpha. I just go so burned out on it when it was a new thing.

Anyways, so a friend convinced me to come back, and play-through all the new (amazing, although it was only vanilla) content. I had a ton of fun, doing it.

Here's a short clip of The End, rather funny what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_H9ktsexq4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUxB82X1liROOZLBoqEFpRrA

Hey man, sorry for accidentally building on your mountain :( for what it's worth that looks like you've claimed a much better mountain top on which to build your fortress!

Also Ark I just donated you some cash :)

Ah, you're fine. :) I think you're building on a mountain I was looking at but decided to pass on.

Right now I have cmagus and Diggeh as neighbors.

Right so went to my tower today and found 2 signs, one saying something like "Can't believe you built over Thorn's place" and "Cobblestone, srsly bro!?"

I think it might just be a but of friendly "taking the piss" as we fine English like to call it, I wouldn't take it too seriously. It's only serious when you get a sign that says "Oi ya Oink. What the bloody ell do you think ya doing building here. I'll smash ya face in I will you hear me - CC" admittedly it would be rather hard for me to fit all that on one sign so it would have to be several signs.

The only time you should take anything like this seriously is if I, Mengy or Ark have left any kind of signage .......... oh yeah and Gafland Public Works if they leave a sign run for your life they will hunt you down and smother you with square traffic cones.

Ark

If you are after something to do I have about 50.000 blocks of water that needs removing used the ye olde tried and tested route of sand and a spade.

Anyway that was just a flimsy excuse to post "which one of you orrible lot is MtheSMG ?" Hey MtheSMG if you are reading this pm me so I can pm you back.

If I was you I would totally just WorldEdit that water out, because hey mod-abuse! ;D

I think it might just be a but of friendly "taking the piss" as we fine English like to call it, I wouldn't take it too seriously. It's only serious when you get a sign that says "Oi ya Oink. What the bloody ell do you think ya doing building here. I'll smash ya face in I will you hear me - CC" admittedly it would be rather hard for me to fit all that on one sign so it would have to be several signs.

The only time you should take anything like this seriously is if I, Mengy or Ark have left any kind of signage .......... oh yeah and Gafland Public Works if they leave a sign run for your life they will hunt you down and smother you with square traffic cones.

This man speaks the truth.

Hey man, sorry for accidentally building on your mountain :( for what it's worth that looks like you've claimed a much better mountain top on which to build your fortress!

Also Ark I just donated you some cash :)

Thank you! Although I don't know what your Minecraft name is to update you to donator.

Crispy75

I can bear it no longer. I must admit to being the Gafland dept. of public works and I deeply regret the placing of any sign, or any stress thereby caused. Apologies To Futzy, who can build wherever he damn well likes :)

If I was you I would totally just WorldEdit that water out, because hey mod-abuse! ;D

I would be lying if I said the thought hadn't occurred to me at times and by "times" I mean every 10 minutes it takes to do one single line of blocks.

Thank you! Although I don't know what your Minecraft name is to update you to donator.

Sorted it, I just have to reset the permissions which I will do in an hour or so when I have russled up some din dins.

I can bear it no longer. I must admit to being the Gafland dept. of public works and I deeply regret the placing of any sign, or any stress thereby caused. Apologies To Futzy, who can build wherever he damn well likes :)

and just like that all fear and mysticism of the Gafland Public Works vanishes into a ground swell of mob rule with pitch forks being thrust in Crispy's direction ;-)

MrBig

I see that damage II potion I threw worked its magic on you...

-Minsc-

Right so went to my tower today and found 2 signs, one saying something like "Can't believe you built over Thorn's place" and "Cobblestone, srsly bro!?"

1) I'm a beginner. Push off.

We all start somewhere. :)

2) I posted earlier in this thread explaining this, but I'll say it again; when I found the mountain, it was completely uninhabited with no signs of life. At the ground around the base of the mountain there are torches and there is a farm on platforms next to the base of the mountain. The actual mountain itself was completely blank, and even when I got to the top there was no sign of life apart from a single sign saying "Nice view". Yes, I should have asked people nearby for permission before I started building things, but tbh if you don't mark a big area like that with something then I think it should be fair for people to assume it's untouched territory and therefore can be built upon.

Thorn's place? I thought it was nihons mountain. In that case nihon learned to mark out an intended build area well and good.

3) I'm a beginner, cobblestone is easy to get and I think it looks good for the design of a castle. Yes I can probably make it look better with other rock types or mixing other block types in there but these are my first builds, so leave it.

If Thorn wants to talk to me about my projects and the top of the mountain then he should post on here explaining whatever his thought processes are, and I will be happy to consider relocating (sooner rather than later, otherwise any building I do now will be wasted time as I'll need to tear it down, not a nice thing to have to do with your first Minecraft project :(). Otherwise, I think people should stop with the bullying/griefing.

It's impossible to please everyone so expect some criticism. Instances such as this why I want to make "unwritten rules" written. While long time players would consider it common sense not to build basic cobble, dirt and netherrack structures we can't instantly expect others to share our views. Personally, I have no qualm with people building such structures away from my builds. It's a big world out there and people are free to find their own spot to play. In the instance of Whiskey's flaming creeper head, I admit, I found it amusing. My only issue with it was being built at spawn.

One unwritten rule I believe should be highlighted is sticking to theme in a community build. Normally there is a "build leader" and this person has say over what goes or stays. Things get a bit trickier at spawn.

In this instance there is no build leader. People find themselves a nook and settle in. Now, here's where a problem arises. I'm sure many, I know I do, consider spawn to be the gateway to Gafland. It is the area of first impression to new players so it makes sense to have a minimum build code. Such a code is something we'll have to discuss as a group. My main qualm are structures largely consisting of one block type, with the worst being "The Big 3" mentioned above. I can go into more detail but I'll save that for later. Of course I know I can't go nitpicking every little thing so there are many things around spawn I don't agree with which I let slide. Heck, I'm sure there's many things I do people wince at. ;)

A note to longtime players, please be considerate. Passive aggressiveness solves nothing and only leads to resentment in both parties.. Vyktal's post here is proof of this. If you have an issue with a person send them a PM (or leave a book if they don't have a GAF account) politely expressing your concern. I found such a thing difficult in the past as I was a non-confrontal type person but I'm learning to overcome that. There's nothing worse than having a misunderstanding between multiple parties.

Obviously what I write here is my own opinion, I'm just a player like everyone else and have no real authority. Still, I like to see people getting along so lets all learn to tolerate each other and not hold silly little grudges. :)

belushy

Banned
WHY IS BUILDING THINGS SO GOD DAMNED HARD? THIS GAME IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN.

Pretty much the reason I haven't been getting on. :( I've be trying to plan my build ahead of time in SSP on the same seed but I only place like two blocks and then get discouraged that I'm so utterly horrible at being creative.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like cobble for castles though, works well. Ideally there would be a smooth stone with chiseled edges to give that 'big stones' look. Do stone bricks work well?

1) I'm a beginner. Push off.
2) I posted earlier in this thread explaining this, but I'll say it again; when I found the mountain, it was completely uninhabited with no signs of life. At the ground around the base of the mountain there are torches and there is a farm on platforms next to the base of the mountain. The actual mountain itself was completely blank, and even when I got to the top there was no sign of life apart from a single sign saying "Nice view". Yes, I should have asked people nearby for permission before I started building things, but tbh if you don't mark a big area like that with something then I think it should be fair for people to assume it's untouched territory and therefore can be built upon.
3) I'm a beginner, cobblestone is easy to get and I think it looks good for the design of a castle. Yes I can probably make it look better with other rock types or mixing other block types in there but these are my first builds, so leave it.

If Thorn wants to talk to me about my projects and the top of the mountain then he should post on here explaining whatever his thought processes are, and I will be happy to consider relocating (sooner rather than later, otherwise any building I do now will be wasted time as I'll need to tear it down, not a nice thing to have to do with your first Minecraft project :(). Otherwise, I think people should stop with the bullying/griefing.

Those were joke/light ribbing signs. Nothing more.

Just my luck. Think about Minecraft all day long at work.

Get home and the internet is out. Problem in the area. Will take several hours to fix it.

:(

SP will have to do for now :/

UF_C

Banned

As if the creepers weren't bad enough...

Cmagus

Around x=1500, z=-400. It's a snow mountains biome.

OjPSMWr.png

Don't mind having neighbors, but just don't want to log on and find someone's house in the middle of it one day, lol. I'll be starting building on the fortress soon and it's going to be a long, long, long process.

I think I have my small house around that area up on one of the mountains. Not sure how to check my position.

Ark

Pretty much the reason I haven't been getting on. :( I've be trying to plan my build ahead of time in SSP on the same seed but I only place like two blocks and then get discouraged that I'm so utterly horrible at being creative.

I've actually got my castle mostly planned out now (that's a half-lie), but with my computer overheating after an hour or two of Minecraft play, it's going to take a long time before I ever manage to finish it.

As if the creepers weren't bad enough...

I haven't set a serious-sign down in a looooong time. I might have to change that! ;)

UF_C

Banned
I was playing last night and while caving in a poorly lit area I turn around to see there are two creepers and a zombie about a block or two away. The zombie attacks and the 2 creepers explode and I immediately type /home trying to save my butt. I thought I survived because I indeed teleport to my sethome position but...I guess they got in enough damage to actually kill me before I left.

At this point I am not sure what happened, but what I do know is my inventory screen comes up and Steve goes from standing upright like usual to falling down to where he's now laying on his side. I was killed so there was nothing I could do, couldn't move, no mouse button worked, and I just sort of sat there in shock. Always when you die you get the respawn option, but this didn't happen. I actually had to hit Esc in order to get that screen to show up. Anyway, this is what it looked like from my end. This is not photoshopped at all, i swear. Has this happened to anyone before?

696bae25-f6c7-464b-aa0a-15e786c2a64e_zps8fedb788.jpg

I think I have my small house around that area up on one of the mountains. Not sure how to check my position.

Yup, ran across your house. Don't worry, you can keep up there without problems. :)

Vyktal, I think, is building somewhere else (since Thorn is not near my place) and there were no signs saying "Nice view" where I had plotted out. Maybe it was one of the mountains I was originally looking at but opted to pass on?

So I'm trying to buy Minecraft...and it's a total fucking nightmare. I guess they don't want $27 because of their convoluted system.

A long time ago, I made a Minecraft account but never bought the game. I tried purchasing the game, but it told me the user name "AnEternalEnigma" was taken. Okay. I didn't have any errors during the Step 1: Make a Mojang Account. However, when I sent the password reset to change the password to my old account, I guess it brought it back to life. So now I can't make a Mojang account at all because I'm still using the same e-mail address, which is tied to the old non-premium Minecraft account, which also won't let me change the goddamn e-mail address on.

This is pretty much me right now.

794564046.gif

MrBig

I was in a similar position recently, an old MC account that didn't own MC, but with the name I wanted. I contacted suport and they had me create Mojang account, purchase a gift code with that account, and on that Mojang account redeem the code but select the "use my existing Minecraft name", you'll then be prompted to log in to the old account to redeem it.
The e-mail issue you'll have to sort out yourself. Personally I like to maintain several e-mail accounts for different purposes instead of using a single e-mail from a single service. Signing up for a gmail account would the quickest way to get a new address, just be aware that you don't actually need to give them info like your name and phone number when signing up for one even though they present it as if you do.

e: The mojang account creation is done before you can type in a name/purchase the game, are you sure you didn't create a Mojang account already, and that is what is causing the error?

ckohler

I finished upgrading the Public Mob Grinder to version 2.0! :) It has several new features including an automatic item sorter, extra storage, a lava disposal and more reliable redstone.

8zva2bS.jpg

Goodies now automatically filter into these chests without having to do a thing! When these chests get full, there are already overflow chests on the opposite wall to store the goods.

aGKjmkO.jpg

The drop floor/spectating area is more impressive and decorative.

Bd7Txwc.jpg

Best of all, you can now look directly up the drop shaft and watch as the mobs gleefully fall to their deaths!

RMPRyHB.jpg

Morokh

Seeing as he's ruining Golems.

That's already been reverted in the latest snapshot, golems drop iron again when killed automatically. (same thing for pigmens and gold nuggets)

Only thing that broke is the over-complicated iron farm (the iron foundry) which was based on a bug on how villages interacted with each other.

The basic iron farms like the ones we have at spawn still work fine.

belushy

Banned
Thank you for mentioning that their was a snapshot, I had completely forgotten.

Item frames can give off a signal detected by Comparators.
Lots of changes to villager AI. Some of them now actually do stuff!
Looting now gives 1% chance of rare loot per level
Iron Golems/Zombie Pigmen now drop items on normal kills
You can now spawn Iron Golems/Snow Golems/Withers with dispensers + pumpkin/skulls respectively
Bushes can now catch fire
Buttons can now be placed on ceiling/floors
Seecret Changes
Balancing tweaks!

I really like the buttons on floor/ceiling and that looting chance per level change.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's already been reverted in the latest snapshot, golems drop iron again when killed automatically. (same thing for pigmens and gold nuggets)

Only thing that broke is the over-complicated iron farm (the iron foundry) which was based on a bug on how villages interacted with each other.

Which is the only way we get iron on our farm.

I don't know what your iron farms look like. My brother built two towers with four sections and 12 villagers each that pumps out iron pretty nicely right now. I'd hate to lose that.

What exactly is broken now? I didn't know there was a second kind of iron farm.

Morokh

I don't know what your iron farms look like. My brother built two towers with four sections and 12 villagers each that pumps out iron pretty nicely right now. I'd hate to lose that.

Yours seems to be the 'basic' one I'm talking about so you should be fine, the one we have at spawn is the same but only consists of 1 section.
(This one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE04Ui90sQY)

The one from this video (supposedly the more efficient design out there) won't work unless you built it before the next patch :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Je3IpC1aY

Personally, I must say that now that i've build one of those iron farms (the basic one ) i can't blame Jeb for trying to nerf things, compared to other non-spawner based farms they feel a bit overpowered as they require ten time less work and yield a way more valuable material. (no need to spawn proof the area around it)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

im okay with that.

villager trading is still broken though.

hilarious that he's putting in shit like villagers harvesting crops as if villagers can survive 5 seconds in open air on hard difficulty. [and now they wont even breed themselves back up to population cap either]

-Minsc-

I'd much rather be playing MC than writing rules. D: Anyways, here's what I have so far. I believe I hit most of the main points. If there's anything I missed post it here.

Feel free to act as my editor. The last thing I want is for these rules is to be too wordy. Trim the fat, the message should be clear and concise. :)

NeoCraft server guidelines.

1) Have fun.

NeoCraft is a place many of us come to have fun and unwind. As a result the chat is largely unmoderated and should rarely be taken seriously. Of course no posting links to nasty stuff like kiddie porn, though that should go without saying. If posting links not safe for work be sure to mark them as such and give some indication as to what it is.

Leave your cloak of stress at the door, enjoy yourselves.

A fair warning, NeoCraft consists largely of adult males. If the thought of coming across a phallic monument makes you uncomfortable I suggest you look elsewhere. Otherwise, relax and have a good sense of humour. ;)

2) Respect others.

- The sandbox of Miinecraft is seemingly infinite, give people their space. If you come across a build or land claim be courteous and get permission from the owner before building within "n" blocks of the area.

- Be sure to provide adequate markings for a land claim. A single sign and chest to mark a city spanning over a 600 block area doesn't cut it. Don't expect other players to magically know your grand vision.

- Pranking vs griefing.

Pranking: There's nothing wrong with having a little fun. Filling someones house with orange clay or chickens is quite harmless. As long as you stick to "additions" and avoid destroying a persons build you should be good to go. If you do feel the need to break blocks keep it to a minimum and be sure to take enough screenshots for reference since you will be responsible for rebuilding. Avoid breaking blocks where redstone magic exists.

Leave signage indicating it's a prank and some clue of your identity. You can let a person stew a bit but always come clean in a reasonable timeframe. Remember, you are responsible for the entirety or assisting cleanup. Unsure if a prank is acceptable? Ask a mod. If a victim requests you stop pranking them you listen. Continuing to prank will be considered griefing.

As a courtesy avoid pranking new players. Let the victims settle in first. ;) Use of TNT, fire, lava or anything which could cause indirect damage is prohibited.

Griefing/Bullying: This is not permitted. If you have no intention to rebuild a structure exactly as it was then don't touch. Griefing is likely the only thing to earn one a ban on this server.

Avoid unwanted harassment of other players. Veterans should learn to be considerate of those with so called less experience. Remember your beginnings, you built a cobblestone tower too. Don't expect others to perfectly line up with your idea of what's proper. Bullying them does nothing, politely give them advice instead. Chances are they'll be willing to listen.

3) Use common sense.

- Do not leave cobble, dirt, netherrack, etc. pillars standing. They are unsightly and serve no purpose.

- Do not leave floating trees. Unless it's obviously part of a build, a floating tuft of leaves serves no purpose.

- NeoCraft has many community projects. Stick to the theme provided by the build leader. Remember, the person in charge of the build has final say.

- Spawn is our gateway to GafLand, it's the first impression of the server to new visitors. While everyone has different tastes and skill levels it's nice to keep the place respectable. Avoid building dirt, cobble and netherrack structures. Feel free to ask for advice, people will be more than willing to give it. Too intimidated to build at spawn? No problem, head out into the world and carve out your own playground.

- Be reasonable when using mob grinders/farms. Allowing 400 mobs to collect in one spot adds an unnatural amount of stress on the server. Avoid excessive mob spawning during peak server usage and give warning to other players when using said farms. There's nothing worse than losing a couple hours work due to a server rollback. Allow them to exit the game, leave chunks, etc to save their progress.

Keep large scale farms "x" blocks away from spawn. An area of "x" blocks is persistently around spawn centre when a player is online. 200 sheep in a small pen in unnecessary.

4) Be flexible.

- The full circle, have fun. This goes for everyone.

Consider these guidelines and not iron law. In the sake of fun, sometimes the rules can be bent. However, a line must be drawn somewhere so refrain from being "that guy". If you have an issue with someone contact them directly and sort it out. Most cases it's just a simple misunderstanding. Otherwise, get a hold of Ark, Mengy or CharmingCharlie. They are NeoCrafts administrator and mods.

I kept certain values blank, we can determine acceptable distances.

Morokh

villager trading is still broken though.

hilarious that he's putting in shit like villagers harvesting crops as if villagers can survive 5 seconds in open air on hard difficulty. [and now they wont even breed themselves back up to population cap either]

There might be something about villagers replanting crops playing a role on whether or not they'll be willing to breed, as many people reported seeing baby villagers without having traded with them once.
We'll see, still a few more snapshots before we'll see 1.8

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
There might be something about villagers replanting crops playing a role on whether or not they'll be willing to breed, as many people reported seeing baby villagers without having traded with them once.
We'll see, still a few more snapshots before we'll see 1.8
even then...

i routinely lose all of my villagers that are not in 1x1x2 cells. i sometimes even lose a cell villager because zombie seiges will spawn zombies inside halfslabs/stairs/glass etc. There's no real way to protect open area villagers from seiges, eventually the zombies win.

Fuchsdh

For XP, yes. For drops, no.

When oh when will there be a use for rotten flesh :(

I'd love for them to just create a XP disposal instead of just pitching things into lava, so you get a small amount of experience converting unneeded resources, especially for common mob drops you'll never want for.

Vyktal

Hey all,

I've read all the recent posts and I apologise for taking the signs too seriously. All is chill here, and I wanna say a big thanks to Minsc for posting those guidelines. I feel like I understand things a lot better now :)

FYI I'm now experimenting with adding other rock types to my castle project to make it look more interesting and less mono-block, so hopefully in future it'll be something people won't mind looking at. However there will always be SOME cobblestone as I quite like the look, so I guess you can't please everyone :p

Fuchsdh

Hey all,

I've read all the recent posts and I apologise for taking the signs too seriously. All is chill here, and I wanna say a big thanks to Minsc for posting those guidelines. I feel like I understand things a lot better now :)

FYI I'm now experimenting with adding other rock types to my castle project to make it look more interesting and less mono-block, so hopefully in future it'll be something people won't mind looking at. However there will always be SOME cobblestone as I quite like the look, so I guess you can't please everyone :p

I think the bigger issue is they really need to make cobblestone look less sucky :p

(Same with netherack!)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
as XP grinders seem to mostly be filled with double chests of crap that nobody wants, would it be simpler to have the mobs fall on a hopper which leads to lava disposal somehow? Not thought it through but might lead to less waste strewn around the floor of grinders?

Top Bottom