• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Crispy75

Making a row of half slabs, level with the top of a block.
Accidentally lay one on the bottom half.
Could quite happily put one on top of it and carry on. It would be invisible.
NO. IT MUST LINE UP, OR I WILL SUFFER PAIN.

limlark

It is just unnecessary clutter. All I'm saying is that it is kind of rude to be leaving those up and around the nether like that. It isn't like it is hard to just mine it back up. People are just being lazy.
I dunno, when I'm there to mine things I kind of appreciate the obvious signal that someone has already been there and to move on. But only in the Nether.

Vyktal

FYI, regarding the server lag, at the base of the mountain I'm building on (across the way from MrBig.'s modern house) there are a couple contraptions with animals in them. One is what looks like a chicken cooker, with 10+ live chickens glitching in and out of it, and another looks like a big meath grinder and I didn't count them but I heard loads of moos coming from inside.

If the owner doesn't empty it out, next time I'm on should I free the animals and pen them up in a big pen somewhere nearby, perhaps with a post explaining the situation to the player when they return?

Ark

If it's only 10 chickens and it's a few hundred blocks away from spawn then it should be fine.

We need to set up our own Spanish Inquisition.

MrBig

I'm having some really aggravating issues with this server. Mainly I can't really do much of anything at times without doing it 2 or 3 times, and any sort of warp, eg /home, /spawn, or respawning, requires waiting anywhere from a minute to about five minutes before I'm able to do anything, from moving to interacting with objects. I've had to avoid going to spawn at almost all times. Perhaps it's because the server is in london - though my ping to london servers really isn't an issue from the US west coast. It's been a grueling experience at times for me, and perfectly fine at others.

Is there anything I can do about this, or are other people experiencing this as well?

I'm having some really aggravating issues with this server. Mainly I can't really do much of anything at times without doing it 2 or 3 times, and any sort of warp, eg /home, /spawn, or respawning, requires waiting anywhere from a minute to about five minutes before I'm able to do anything, from moving to interacting with objects. I've had to avoid going to spawn at almost all times. Perhaps it's because the server is in london - though my ping to london servers really isn't an issue from the US west coast. It's been a grueling experience at times for me, and perfectly fine at others.

Is there anything I can do about this, or are other people experiencing this as well?

I've had the same problems. Sometimes it's unplayable and I just have to quit for the day. Just now I logged on, said something immediately, and then ran around trying to do stuff but I couldn't for about a minute. Suddenly my words popped up in chat and I was all the way back. And then it happened a few more times. I keep geting killed my mobs as well.

Ranger X

While the Jeb's proposed changes looks to me like he's fixing exploits more than anything else, I don't agree about his "throw-it-all-in-one-basket" opinion that mob farms are item duplication. He seems to miss a very important point that nobody even mentionned in this very thread and that makes me think he, (and many other people) don't even see what's so genuine about a game like Minecraft.

What's genuine or interesting is not that survival should be hard or not. Its not even about if a mob grinder is an exploit or not anyways. It's all about that Minecraft is the only true fun sandbox game out there and the genius about a sandbox game is the "emergent gameplay" that comes out it. The creativity and imagination of people that, pushed by the available mechanics, are creating meta gameplay and games that weren't actually "designed" in the first place or thought out at the game design level. Creating an effective and convenient mob grinder is FUN in Minecraft right now because its actually emergent gameplay --- the concious or unconscious reason for a sandbox game to actually exist. Its like, the main fucking point.

DukeSucks

not too bad, every once in a while I have to repeat something when I am digging or mining. Only time it really got me was when I was knocking down a cactus and as I walked over the drop, it respawned on top of me and nearly killed me before I could get out :)

ExiledMarkzmen

Neo Member
RORQczV.png

oNHUKut.png

dkkJSQS.png

vY8zOFt.png

Not much of a builder but I like how my house is looking so far. Not sure what to build in the empty space though. -_-

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
We've built a shortcut through the Nether to approximately this point on the map, if anyone is interested in developing it. (We're going to cut down some trees from that area, but that's it.) It didn't look like anyone was around, and the Nether portal in the overworld was newly spawned. To get to the portal, go towards the Ice Spike Biome portal in the Nether. Near the end of that path, you'll see two tunnels, one to the left and one to the right. Follow the path to the right, only turning when you get to the cobblestone guardrail. We built a little tower out of sandstone (which was a pain). Eventually, we'll move the path into the tower underground, so we can get rid of the ugly cobblestone wall in front of it. But for now, it is what it is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We've built a shortcut through the Nether to approximately this point on the map, if anyone is interested in developing it. (We're going to cut down some trees from that area, but that's it.) It didn't look like anyone was around, and the Nether portal in the overworld was newly spawned. To get to the portal, go towards the Ice Spike Biome portal in the Nether. Near the end of that path, you'll see two tunnels, one to the left and one to the right. Follow the path to the right, only turning when you get to the cobblestone guardrail. We built a little tower out of sandstone (which was a pain). Eventually, we'll move the path into the tower underground, so we can get rid of the ugly cobblestone wall in front of it. But for now, it is what it is.

That looks like a long walk, even in the nether. Might need some nether railway lines soon

Hmm.. If you have a big enough portal - can you ride a horse through?

Morokh

Hmm.. If you have a big enough portal - can you ride a horse through?

Yes and no.
If it hasn't changed / been fixed, riding through a portal on the back of your horse will make it vanish, taking your horse through a portal with a lead (or well... pushing him into it) while dismounted will allow him to cross.

-SD-

Banned
I moved my "127x127 round hole" project two blocks to the south so that the center of it aligns perfectly with the road.

The world in this pic is not up-to-date, but you'll get the idea. I used Minutor to create the image.

-SD-

Banned
About 13,000 blocks per level...
12,817 to be exact.

It's going all the way down to bedrock. Will take me months, and that's just Phase I of the project... unless someone wants to help in digging?

I'm currently using iron pick-axes because I'm low on diamonds and experience points.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you mined down and worked your way up, you could probably find plenty of diamonds, and you'd get levels just from the coal you hit.

Would be interesting to tally up what materials you get from it - iron, diamond, coal etc

masud

Banned
12,817 to be exact.

It's going all the way down to bedrock. Will take me months, and that's just Phase I of the project... unless someone wants to help in digging?

I'm currently using iron pick-axes because I'm low on diamonds and experience points.

You know with all the gunpowder in the public mob grinder you could finish that pretty quickly.

Fuchsdh

EDIT: Ugh double post.
I moved my "127x127 round hole" project two blocks to the south so that the center of it aligns perfectly with the road.

The world in this pic is not up-to-date, but you'll get the idea. I used Minutor to create the image.

That mapping tool looks pretty cool, and it's OS X native! Huzzah! How do you download a copy of the GAF environment to map though?

Since someone accidentally claimed a mountain I was going to build on top of, I put signs up on the remaining mountains I'm going to build on.

Please don't build on them. :(

Where are they?

Around x=1500, z=-400. It's a snow mountains biome.

OjPSMWr.png

Don't mind having neighbors, but just don't want to log on and find someone's house in the middle of it one day, lol. I'll be starting building on the fortress soon and it's going to be a long, long, long process.

-SD-

Banned
If you mined down and worked your way up, you could probably find plenty of diamonds, and you'd get levels just from the coal you hit.
Four blocks above the bedrock level have been creared up of the whole area, and grassed up at the same time. That has scored a full stack of diamonds so far, but it's almost all gone, since that excavation eats dp's (and xp points for enchanting) for breakfast and then asks for seconds.

Morokh

Four blocks above the bedrock level have been creared up of the whole area, and grassed up at the same time. That has scored a full stack of diamonds so far, but it's almost all gone, since that excavation eats dp's (and xp points for enchanting) for breakfast and then asks for seconds.

Place a beacon with mining speed in the middle at bedrock level, won't solve you pick problems but it'll make digging wayyyyyy faster :p

-SD-

Banned
Hmm... maximum Beacon radius is only 50, so I'd have to be moving the thing around constantly, which would be a hassle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm... maximum Beacon radius is only 50, so I'd have to be moving the thing around constantly, which would be a hassle.

effect has a time limit so you can move away from the effect for short periods, so working back and forth should be fine - your radius is only a little outside what it'd cover

Morokh

isn't it 50 in all direction, with the beacon as a center block ?

Well even id it's not, and you have to move it, still a massive time saver.

Vyktal

Around x=1500, z=-400. It's a snow mountains biome.

OjPSMWr.png

Don't mind having neighbors, but just don't want to log on and find someone's house in the middle of it one day, lol. I'll be starting building on the fortress soon and it's going to be a long, long, long process.

Hey man, sorry for accidentally building on your mountain :( for what it's worth that looks like you've claimed a much better mountain top on which to build your fortress!

Also Ark I just donated you some cash :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need to find a new project. Built my house, have decent facilities in the basement (tree farm, crops etc), built a skelly spawner, got good weapons and armour well enchanted.

Now what?

I need to find a new project. Built my house, have decent facilities in the basement (tree farm, crops etc), built a skelly spawner, got good weapons and armour well enchanted.

Now what?

If you are after something to do I have about 50.000 blocks of water that needs removing used the ye olde tried and tested route of sand and a spade.

Anyway that was just a flimsy excuse to post "which one of you orrible lot is MtheSMG ?" Hey MtheSMG if you are reading this pm me so I can pm you back.

Crispy75

Now what?

Come and help me build Gafland-Sur-Mer! Mediterranean beach resort and town.

Fuchsdh

Now what?

Roads need extending desert needs to be tamed and turfed and rails need to go places.

If you are after something to do I have about 50.000 blocks of water that needs removing used the ye olde tried and tested route of sand and a spade.

Anyway that was just a flimsy excuse to post "which one of you orrible lot is MtheSMG ?" Hey MtheSMG if you are reading this pm me so I can pm you back.

PM sent!!!

Vyktal

Right so went to my tower today and found 2 signs, one saying something like "Can't believe you built over Thorn's place" and "Cobblestone, srsly bro!?"

1) I'm a beginner. Push off.
2) I posted earlier in this thread explaining this, but I'll say it again; when I found the mountain, it was completely uninhabited with no signs of life. At the ground around the base of the mountain there are torches and there is a farm on platforms next to the base of the mountain. The actual mountain itself was completely blank, and even when I got to the top there was no sign of life apart from a single sign saying "Nice view". Yes, I should have asked people nearby for permission before I started building things, but tbh if you don't mark a big area like that with something then I think it should be fair for people to assume it's untouched territory and therefore can be built upon.
3) I'm a beginner, cobblestone is easy to get and I think it looks good for the design of a castle. Yes I can probably make it look better with other rock types or mixing other block types in there but these are my first builds, so leave it.

If Thorn wants to talk to me about my projects and the top of the mountain then he should post on here explaining whatever his thought processes are, and I will be happy to consider relocating (sooner rather than later, otherwise any building I do now will be wasted time as I'll need to tear it down, not a nice thing to have to do with your first Minecraft project :(). Otherwise, I think people should stop with the bullying/griefing.

Right so went to my tower today and found 2 signs, one saying something like "Can't believe you built over Thorn's place" and "Cobblestone, srsly bro!?"

1) I'm a beginner. Push off.
2) I posted earlier in this thread explaining this, but I'll say it again; when I found the mountain, it was completely uninhabited with no signs of life. At the ground around the base of the mountain there are torches and there is a farm on platforms next to the base of the mountain. The actual mountain itself was completely blank, and even when I got to the top there was no sign of life apart from a single sign saying "Nice view". Yes, I should have asked people nearby for permission before I started building things, but tbh if you don't mark a big area like that with something then I think it should be fair for people to assume it's untouched territory and therefore can be built upon.
3) I'm a beginner, cobblestone is easy to get and I think it looks good for the design of a castle. Yes I can probably make it look better with other rock types or mixing other block types in there but these are my first builds, so leave it.

If Thorn wants to talk to me about my projects and the top of the mountain then he should post on here explaining whatever his thought processes are, and I will be happy to consider relocating (sooner rather than later, otherwise any building I do now will be wasted time as I'll need to tear it down, not a nice thing to have to do with your first Minecraft project :(). Otherwise, I think people should stop with the bullying/griefing.

Are they griefing what you do? What have they done?

As for their bullying, its not you. These people all have OCD. They cant stand anything that doesnt meet their standards :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
didn't think there was a wither spawner? Don't you have to do it the hard way? Good news is that there is a nether fortress very close to the spawn portal (and signposted). Its a bit open but you could head north or south and look for another one.

Top Bottom