• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Ark

TLDR; I'm relocating my towers from the mountaintop over Thorn's place. :)

Please don't build within a thousand blocks of Arkyoto. I wouldn't usually ask this, but the entire reason I'm happy being almost 12k blocks out is because I want to be secluded :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Please don't build within a thousand blocks of Arkyoto. I wouldn't usually ask this, but the entire reason I'm happy being almost 12k blocks out is because I want to be secluded :p

is what he thinks while he's flying above spawn, laughing at the ants scurrying below.

So after some deliberation and seeing Arkyoto in-the-making, I've decided I want to relocate my towers so a new undiscovered mountain somewhere out there in Gaf-Land.

If you are interested I have a few tricks up my sleeve that enable me to move buildings. So when you find your new location let me know and we can have your towers at their new home in a few minutes.

Foaloal

Hi, I'd like to have the opportunity to look around the server. I don't know if I'll be dedicating the time to making a proper build, so I'm not looking for building permissions.

For fun, here is a shot of a mansion I built back in the alpha days on a server that ended up going up in flames;

MjK4b3l.jpg

If I misunderstood the process for getting the IP address I apologize.

In game username is visible when quoted if that's necessary;

quote the OP to get the IP address, you don't need whitelisting to just visit.

I thought that was the process, but the IP did not seem to be working for me. Perhaps there is an error on my part. It is the first IP I should be using, correct?

edit: I get the error "The authentication are currently down for maintenance."
edit2: And it does seem I am not making an error, as when I add the server to my list instead of using direct connect I see the message "Welcome to GAFland 1.7" along with the NeoGAF logo.

Minecrafts Authentication servers are down right now.

http://xpaw.ru/mcstatus/

Ah, that explains a lot. Thanks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hi, I'd like to have the opportunity to look around the server. I don't know if I'll be dedicating the time to making a proper build, so I'm not looking for building permissions.

For fun, here is a shot of a mansion I built back in the alpha days on a server that ended up going up in flames;

If I misunderstood the process for getting the IP address I apologize.

In game username is visible when quoted if that's necessary;

quote the OP to get the IP address, you don't need whitelisting to just visit.

edit: anyone having issues logging in?

Ark

Here are some pictures I just took (before falling to my death and spawning far away, dammit) of the original Arkyoto. This place is probably over 2 years old so a new settlement should have a lot more detail ;)

The Entrance
HmbtvVc.png

Part of the main town looking from above
mNtlUf9.jpg

Looking at the main town from across a small river
J4YAguI.jpg

A look at the valley & ridge
8YKSt6v.jpg

One thing that the new Arkyoto definitely won't have is giant pagodas everywhere.

EDIT:

Sent in a donation, thanks for hosting this.

Thanks a lot for your donation :) I've made you a donator now.

EDIT 2:

I think I've fixed the issue that wasn't letting Donator's use the /back command to teleport to where they died.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One advantage for those living near spawn is that they kind of get a free teleport location - eg while I'm exploring up north, I can use /sethome, and still use /spawn to get mostly home if needed.

Still wish beds could be used

I added you to the whitelist anyway, you might like what you see and want to stay ;-)

Seems like Mojang got everything working again and to boot Ark has indeed fixed the /back command for donators. So all you lucky blues can now instantly transport to where you died when you die.

Crispy75

I added you to the whitelist anyway, you might like what you see and want to stay ;-)

Seems like Mojang got everything working again and to boot Ark has indeed fixed the /back command for donators. So all you lucky blues can now instantly transport to where you died when you die.

It doesn't work like that, I thought :-/

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I

whoa what?

although now that i think about it, tping directly into a full diamond gear zombie or a pigman swarm might not be the best tactic all the time.

Foaloal

I had a nice time exploring around spawn and a little bit beyond, but the server restart seemed like a good time for me to go to sleep.

I haven't played since they added stained glass, it really adds a nice touch to things.

There are some very nice structures around, I'm excited to look around some more tomorrow.

Thanks for adding me, maybe I will end up building somewhere once I get familiar with how things work in GafLand.

UF_C

Banned
So after some deliberation and seeing Arkyoto in-the-making, I've decided I want to relocate my towers so a new undiscovered mountain somewhere out there in Gaf-Land.

It's really cool being able to look down from where I currently am and see the torches and buildings by people like Mack and Fuchsy (sp?), but I'm now very conscious of how close I am to several other people. This not only means that whatever I build they kinda have to look at even if it's not upto standards, but also I'm quite restricted in that I can't expand from the mountaintop once I'm done, and tbh I'm starting to figure out that if I'm building a castle I want to lay out the foundations of where everything will go before I start building upwards. This place has been a good learning experience both socially and architecturally, and I'm actually looking forward to finding a new area with (hopefully) untouched mountaintops, caves and dungeons :) I'd also be happy moving in with new neighbours, as long as there was adequate space for mountain conquering and mining.

TLDR; I'm relocating my towers from the mountaintop over Thorn's place. :)

However I have a few questions to help get me going;

1) What's the best tactic for finding a new big mountain? Should I just head out one direction away from spawn, and every night time just hunker down for the ~7mins in a cave until daylight?
2) Has anyone seen somewhere they reckon might be good for me to check out? Can anyone recommend any particular direction I look?
3) Once I've found the new spot I'd like to set up /home in one place and /back at my old mountaintop to make for quick deconstruction and shifting of tower blocks. To do this, would I need to ask someone to be at my old towers so I can telelport to them, and only then the /back function would work?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any advice :)
I've recently done something very similar. Everything under my main base was just mined out so I picked up everything and headed east. My suggestion, head whatever direction you want to go and start out when the sun comes up. Bring just the bare essentials as well as 2 boats and lots of torches. Then just go and explore and mine whatever resources you find on the way but continue heading in the general direction you want to go. When night comes tpa back to /home and store the resources you just gathered and use the 7 minutes to prepare for the continuation of your vayage. When the sun rises tpa /back and explore and gather until night time. Rinse and repeat until you are far enough away and run into virgin mountainous territory.

I did this about a week ago and found an amazing mountainous region with two large grassy plateaus cut in half but a river. A huge forest boarders it to the south, a swamp to the southeast and tundra surrounds everything else. Best of all it hasn't been mined until I put my first diamond pick into the ground. I've literally doubled my diamond and emerald count in 4 days . I have some awesome plans for the whole area and the building starts today.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Ensirius

I've recently done something very similar. Everything under my main base was just mined out so I picked up everything and headed east. My suggestion, head whatever direction you want to go and start out when the sun comes up. Bring just the bare essentials as well as 2 boats and lots of torches. Then just go and explore and mine whatever resources you find on the way but continue heading in the general direction you want to go. When night comes tpa back to /home and store the resources you just gathered and use the 7 minutes to prepare for the continuation of your vayage. When the sun rises tpa /back and explore and gather until night time. Rinse and repeat until you are far enough away and run into virgin mountainous territory.

I did this about a week ago and found an amazing mountainous region with two large grassy plateaus cut in half but a river. A huge forest boarders it to the south, a swamp to the southeast and tundra surrounds everything else. Best of all it hasn't been mined until I put my first diamond pick into the ground. I've literally doubled my diamond and emerald count in 4 days . I have some awesome plans for the whole area and the building starts today.

Anyway, hope this helps.

It has certainly helped me good sir. Thank you.
I will do that as soon as I finish this dome that's been tormenting me the past few days.
It shall be done.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had a good session ticking off some achievements: spawned and killed the wither (cheesed it but I don't care), built 1km of railway because I couldn't find any long enough, and the skeleton sniper one. I think I'm only missing the pig one (I'm ambling around with a saddle and carrot on a stick permanently in my inventory at the moment) and the 'visit all biomes' which I have no idea how to do.

Ark

I'm amazed that wasn't intentionally forbidden. Well, now I can stop playing with F3 on all the time!

I thought it was always possible and it just broke when we re-did everything on the server. If people like I can disable it again.

-Minsc-

I thought it was always possible and it just broke when we re-did everything on the server. If people like I can disable it again.

I'm not sure if I ever recall it working like that. Doesn't really matter either way if it's there for me. I'll use it if I can, if not I won't lose any sleep.

Salaadin

How do you guys go about planning big projects? I usually just wing it but almost always end up screwed up somewhere on the way that I think I want an idea beforehand.

Crispy75

How do you guys go about planning big projects? I usually just wing it but almost always end up screwed up somewhere on the way that I think I want an idea beforehand.

I use Cartograph G to make a 1 pixel = 1 block overhead map (after begging a mod for the world file). Then I use Paint.net to draw plans in a new layer. Elevations and sections too, if they're needed. In those cases, I sometimes scale 200% (nearest neighbour) so I can draw in 1/2 slabs and stairs.

Raptomex

Is this a bug? I'm currently playing Minecraft v1.7.2 and when I place trapdoors next to each other they come apart immediately. It's like they can't touch each other. I tried on blocks next to each other and across from each other, the moment I place the second trapdoor they both come apart as items to pick up.

Vyktal

I'm happy to say that at last I've found a new home to relocate my towers, build the dream caslte and even met a friendly neighbour in ufcraig21 to boot!

The mountaintop I'm going for is coordinates X3389, Z-705. It's a snow-topped mountain, and ufcraig21 is currently making a ski-resot on the mountains next door and has kindly allowed me to lay claim for the castle building site :)

I've layed down a bunch of torches in a very big area as I'd like the freedom to make the castle as big as I can be bothered to make it. Before I start building up, I'll lay down the outline for where everything will be before I start building up, but I may use remaining land on that mountop for making a farm or other statues and things.

Thanks again to ufcraig21, as I've done a bit of searching at that point and was relieved that I didn't need to keep on looking!

-Minsc-

Here are some pictures I just took (before falling to my death and spawning far away, dammit) of the original Arkyoto. This place is probably over 2 years old so a new settlement should have a lot more detail ;)

One thing that the new Arkyoto definitely won't have is giant pagodas everywhere.

So, how long before we do Yoshiwara? ;)

Ark

So, how long before we do Yoshiwara? ;)

You know...that could be arranged
01laugh.gif

The exterior of Arkyoto's main castle is now complete. Tomorrow (or rather later today since it's 1am now) I'll get to work on the rest of the castle grounds & complex. Really stoked about this project.

UF_C

Banned
I'm happy to say that at last I've found a new home to relocate my towers, build the dream caslte and even met a friendly neighbour in ufcraig21 to boot!

The mountaintop I'm going for is coordinates X3389, Z-705. It's a snow-topped mountain, and ufcraig21 is currently making a ski-resot on the mountains next door and has kindly allowed me to lay claim for the castle building site :)

I've layed down a bunch of torches in a very big area as I'd like the freedom to make the castle as big as I can be bothered to make it. Before I start building up, I'll lay down the outline for where everything will be before I start building up, but I may use remaining land on that mountop for making a farm or other statues and things.

Thanks again to ufcraig21, as I've done a bit of searching at that point and was relieved that I didn't need to keep on looking!
it will be nice having some company out there. Farming is a bit rough....everything freezes up pretty quickly.

NihonTiger on NeoCraft - 76 - Foundations is up on YouTubes!

Figured this might also be a good time to do this:

In case you're new and don't quite know, I do a Let's Play of life on the NeoCraft server from my perspective. A lot of it is just me doing my thing, but I do try to incorporate as much of NeoCraft in it as I can.

So I get to be on YouTube?

Kind of!

Can I actually take part in a video?

Yes! You just need to let me know. Also, let me know if you want to do voice or no voice (I'm flexible.)

Can we do group events?

Of course. Duh. :p I've got a few ideas I'll post about shortly and others have contacted me in the past.

In case you're new and don't quite know, I do a Let's Play of life on the NeoCraft server from my perspective. A lot of it is just me doing my thing, but I do try to incorporate as much of NeoCraft in it as I can.

Kind of!

Yes! You just need to let me know. Also, let me know if you want to do voice or no voice (I'm flexible.)

Can we do group events?

Of course. Duh. :p I've got a few ideas I'll post about shortly and others have contacted me in the past.

Wow, I sound like a whiny bitch in this episode. My fortune book!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Kind of!

Can we do group events?

If you're looking for input into your 'build on camera or not', my suggestion would be to try things out. At the start of your build it is interesting to see you visualise where things will be, maybe start designing the initial elements. But when you start bulking out things like walls etc, you could probably easily skip those. That would allow you to still talk about what you're doing, but focus in on the thought process and the detailing - I'd still like to see that.

And if you still need a lot of smooth stone, I'll get smelting..I have coal coming out of my ears

Vyktal

it will be nice having some company out there. Farming is a bit rough....everything freezes up pretty quickly.

Hey again man, just wanted to check one last time that you're okay with my parking myself up there? I read your previous post detailing how you found the area and how exciting it was that it was virgin territory. Were you thinking of using the mountaintop as one of your ski-slopes? I'll happily move on if you were/if my castle might be too imposing on your ski-resort. I tried venturing out in one direction and died after going quite far out. I started heading in another and on the neogaf map saw the mountain range and decided to go have a look.

I've placed down torches roughly where I might build the castle. If you have any prob please let me know asap and I'll move along :)

Fuchsdh

Who is my neighbor over here near the coast? dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft%20Gafland/index.html#/1491/64/-1162/-3/0/0

Working on making some safe boardwalks down south to an eventual train site.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do the train stations work? I laid just over 1km between my icy plains portal to just south of minscs place. Would be good to eventually hook that into spawn, but there is a north/east line already so I don't know where we can plug something in.

UF_C

Banned
Hey again man, just wanted to check one last time that you're okay with my parking myself up there? I read your previous post detailing how you found the area and how exciting it was that it was virgin territory. Were you thinking of using the mountaintop as one of your ski-slopes? I'll happily move on if you were/if my castle might be too imposing on your ski-resort. I tried venturing out in one direction and died after going quite far out. I started heading in another and on the neogaf map saw the mountain range and decided to go have a look.

I've placed down torches roughly where I might build the castle. If you have any prob please let me know asap and I'll move along :)
Its fine. I've found a pretty cool spot to put the lodge just a few mountains over from you. I also plan in building out a few of the mountains above the area but its a decent distance away from you. so Mt. Vkytal is all yours.

Vyktal

Its fine. I've found a pretty cool spot to put the lodge just a few mountains over from you. I also plan in building out a few of the mountains above the area but its a decent distance away from you. so Mt. Vkytal is all yours.

You've made me so happy. Thank yoooou! If there's ever anything I can do to help you just lemme know! (...I found an emerald while mining... want it?)

UF_C

Banned
You've made me so happy. Thank yoooou! If there's ever anything I can do to help you just lemme know! (...I found an emerald while mining... want it?)
No thanks. Appreciate the thought. I would like some help getting rid of the cave spider spawner that's underneath our area. Its starting to become a huge pain.

DukeSucks

Who is my neighbor over here near the coast? dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft%20Gafland/index.html#/1491/64/-1162/-3/0/0

Working on making some safe boardwalks down south to an eventual train site.[/QUOTE

I'm having trouble even finding myself on these maps. All I know is that I'm on a small desert island, and there is a mountain range on the other side if the water. One guy has built a wooden house into the next to a waterfall so I mine the next mountain over. All I have going so far is a small two story smooth standstone (actually half and half cobble as I'm converting. Next to the house is a wheat farm that I am incasing in glass and a small cactus farm behind the house. A few trees along the coast line that I have printed. Any help finding me based on that, or is it easier to get the coordinates next time I'm on?

Fuchsdh

Working on making some safe boardwalks down south to an eventual train site.[/QUOTE

I'm having trouble even finding myself on these maps. All I know is that I'm on a small desert island, and there is a mountain range on the other side if the water. One guy has built a wooden house into the next to a waterfall so I mine the next mountain over. All I have going so far is a small two story smooth standstone (actually half and half cobble as I'm converting. Next to the house is a wheat farm that I am incasing in glass and a small cactus farm behind the house. A few trees along the coast line that I have printed. Any help finding me based on that, or is it easier to get the coordinates next time I'm on?

Enter the coordinates into the Dropbox map and it'll pop to you. Everyone is pretty spread out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My property is gonna have so much beaconage in the coming days...

Your current beacon doesn't have any powers - just decorative? I only know because I fell from the top to the bottom (bedrock) while having a look. Thats quite a long way down. Still I now know even feather falling IV has its limits :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Your current beacon doesn't have any powers - just decorative? I only know because I fell from the top to the bottom (bedrock) while having a look. Thats quite a long way down. Still I now know even feather falling IV has its limits :D
it has speed 2 last i checked.

UF_C

Banned
Does Optifine work with Gafland server? Would you all recommend installing it if I am looking for a general boost in minecraft performance?

Top Bottom