• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Crispy75

Note that for donators, who have access to the /back command, you can use it to return to your place of death once you've respawned. This is rather overpowered, but very useful :)

Fuchsdh

Note that for donators, who have access to the /back command, you can use it to return to your place of death once you've respawned. This is rather overpowered, but very useful :)

I donated as don't believe I have the back command? What do I hafta do to get it?

-Minsc-

Or it results in this:

_Minsc_ has been slain by a zombie.

I donated as don't believe I have the back command? What do I hafta do to get it?

You pm ark with details of the donation, then wait till EA wins company of the year, then Ark changes your status from Citizen to Donator ;-).

I could be wrong but I think _Minsc was slain by a zombie.

Fuchsdh

Hey guys, so I've laid out a fair bit of track but I hate the look of unsupported track. I've spaced things out so every X blocks where I have redstone blocks I'm going to put a strut. The question is, what to make them look like. I'm thinking of using glowstone for the lamp caps to mirror the style set up around spawn.

Below I've got a couple of designs, both for the (current) single track layout as well as an (inevitable, for my line) double track layouts. I'm thinking it'll just be stone bricks aside from the glowstone and redstone. Any particular opinions?

7cnvjrH.png

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I need help on enchanting armor. I've started venturing into the nether and would like some tips on how to protect myself from lava and fall deaths.

Regarding lava, I always carry a bucket of water with me on the GAFLand server while in the Nether. The water is useless in the Nether, but with the /home command I can quickly go home (in the overworld) and dump the water on myself at a moment's notice. As for falling, don't do it.

Crispy75

Regarding lava, I always carry a bucket of water with me on the GAFLand server while in the Nether. The water is useless in the Nether, but with the /home command I can quickly go home (in the overworld) and dump the water on myself at a moment's notice. As for falling, don't do it.

I have a 1x1 pond in my /home for exactly this purpose :)

Fuchs:

I like 1E, and then for the double track sections, just mirror it and hide the redstone (if it works like when placed to the side - I don't remember)

Rn1cO30.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need help on enchanting armor. I've started venturing into the nether and would like some tips on how to protect myself from lava and fall deaths.

if you go to the blaze spawner in the nether, there are a couple of chests with presumably unwanted enchants - mostly bane of arthropods etc. But some like protection I or blast protection I. You could merge a few of those on an anvil and get some decent armour

Vyktal

Spent a crazy number of hours this weekend working on the castle-site. It's absolutely wicked to have found an untouched area and to be able to work on it with other players.
I'm working on the building/play grounds together with Kien2142 and Francheska_, and we got big ideas!

vEDDAPh.png

The red circle shows where we're currently building for the first section, the blue where the outline for the remaining castle outer walls will probably be, along with inner buildings + village inside. The small green circle where we'll probs put the main castle fortress/throne room etc, and all the orange circles are where we're thinking we may expand into in future with surrounding farms/villages/completely different little projects.

I think it's a mega-project that will take us weeks if not months, but we're having great fun so far and are looking forward to experimenting with different buildings and variations on the castle structures as we go.

I just need to save up enough TNT so I can finally clear those towers on ufcraig's mountaintop!

I have a 1x1 pond in my /home for exactly this purpose :)

Fuchs:

I like 1E, and then for the double track sections, just mirror it and hide the redstone (if it works like when placed to the side - I don't remember)

Rn1cO30.png

I agree with Crispy!

Ark

If you don't PM me, I can only go from a post in the thread - which I'm most likely to miss. Same goes for people that don't leave notes in their donations of their MC username. Send a PM my way and all will be sorted :)

Spent a crazy number of hours this weekend working on the castle-site. It's absolutely wicked to have found an untouched area and to be able to work on it with other players.
I'm working on the building/play grounds together with Kien2142 and Francheska_, and we got big ideas!

vEDDAPh.png

The red circle shows where we're currently building for the first section, the blue where the outline for the remaining castle outer walls will probably be, along with inner buildings + village inside. The small green circle where we'll probs put the main castle fortress/throne room etc, and all the orange circles are where we're thinking we may expand into in future with surrounding farms/villages/completely different little projects.

I think it's a mega-project that will take us weeks if not months, but we're having great fun so far and are looking forward to experimenting with different buildings and variations on the castle structures as we go.

I just need to save up enough TNT so I can finally clear those towers on ufcraig's mountaintop!

I agree with Crispy!

A challenger emerges! :p

I'll stop by some time to check your place out. I'm working on a fortress of slightly smaller design (partly because the last one I built had too much space and because I'm a one-man band compared to your trio) but it's probably going to look a lot different than yours, so I'm curious to see the direction you'll be taking your build. :)

-Minsc-

If you don't PM me, I can only go from a post in the thread - which I'm most likely to miss. Same goes for people that don't leave notes in their donations of their MC username. Send a PM my way and all will be sorted :)

I gave a donation week or two ago but seeing as I'm already on the blue list I didn't bother speaking up about it. ;)

Fuchsdh

Sent. Thanks--I expect the mods to be omniscient, I guess :)

Thanks for the comments on the rail design. Should work fine and look decent in single or double variations so sounds good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vital,can't you grab some materials from the spawn mob grinder? There is probably a double chest full of gunpowder

(Does the mob spawner have an 'off' switch? Seems a waste to leave it on all the time if all the chests are full)

Vyktal

A challenger emerges! :p

I'll stop by some time to check your place out. I'm working on a fortress of slightly smaller design (partly because the last one I built had too much space and because I'm a one-man band compared to your trio) but it's probably going to look a lot different than yours, so I'm curious to see the direction you'll be taking your build. :)

Minecraft has taught me that I friggin love castles! Because there's 3 of us, and it's such a big job, we're very much going to be bringing in different variations and designs to different parts. It'll probably look quite mish-mashy, but we also want it to look good. I'm a very go-with-the-flow-and-have-fun kinda guy, whereas the other 2 are a bit more clear-cut, so the result should be interesting!

Where's your castle grounds? I'm always interested to look out for inspiration!

@ mrklaw

I will seek out the chest of gunpowder next time I'm on! Thanks.

gblues

Banned
I just got Minecraft from a friend and am just getting started. Already hooked though. We play on a pretty good server and I have already started my island fortress.

May check out GAF-Land. My Minecraft name is the same as my NeoGAF handle (I'm so creative).

ckohler

Vital,can't you grab some materials from the spawn mob grinder? There is probably a double chest full of gunpowder

(Does the mob spawner have an 'off' switch? Seems a waste to leave it on all the time if all the chests are full)

Yes, it does.

If you go into the Redstone Maintenance door you'll see a lever. Break the two dirt blocks so you can see into the spawn floors. Wait for the water to be covering the floors then flip the switch to keep them that way. This will prevent spawning. Just replace the dirt blocks when done

MrBig

Thinking about playing MC with the oculus rift a few months ago is what encouraged me to pick it up again; tonight I was reminded of that again while doing some maintenance clearing out some floating land generation and was feeling extremely anxious while doing so - just being in this kind of situation or falling a good distance already has a great effect on me, probably because there is risk and you care for your safety in survival. The potential for this game on the rift is just wonderful

Sarcasm

If you want more survival with some crafting I recommend 7 days to die. Survival in MC is fun til you realized it is a mode tacked on last.

Not dogging MC..its still grea but survival is roughly a day or two ingame than its just mid way between hardcore creative (as in getting your own materials) and fill up that hunger bar.

Ark,

Could there be an option to donate to be permanent creative mode in GAFland? I hate mining, but love building with the group. I'm not about to do anything crazy, I just want to spend the little time I have with the meat and potatoes. :)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ark,

Could there be an option to donate to be permanent creative mode in GAFland? I hate mining, but love building with the group. I'm not about to do anything crazy, I just want to spend the little time I have with the meat and potatoes. :)
when bukkit fully updates we'll get multiverse back and neocraft, which is a creative mode map.

defel

Hate to be that guy but other people in creative really ruins it for me and destroys the server economy.

Hopefully we can keep creative and survival separate until Bukkit updates
never

I just got Minecraft from a friend and am just getting started. Already hooked though. We play on a pretty good server and I have already started my island fortress.

May check out GAF-Land. My Minecraft name is the same as my NeoGAF handle (I'm so creative).

Oh don't be down on using your Neogaf name as your minecraft name. I like that kind of thing, it keeps things simple. I like simple, life would be easier if things were all simple like me ......... or something along that line.

Anyway you are whitelisted now and an interact with the server.

Ark

Ark,

GAFLand is supposed to be a survival map, it wouldn't be right to let people play creative on it (as much as I may miss creative mode). NeoCraft will be coming back when Multiverse & Bukkit are finally updated..

When y'all say NeoCraft, you mean a new map for creative, right? Riiiiight?

No we mean the OLD map will be returning. There really is no reason to junk it and there are some fantastic builds on there that deserve to be seen by people. There is still a ton of empty space on the old map and it has a well laid out rail network. I honestly cannot fathom any "advantage" to just starting Neocraft all over again other than to be hip :p

-Minsc-

No we mean the OLD map will be returning. There really is no reason to junk it and there are some fantastic builds on there that deserve to be seen by people. There is still a ton of empty space on the old map and it has a well laid out rail network. I honestly cannot fathom any "advantage" to just starting Neocraft all over again other than to be hip :p

One could say there's a near infinite amount of space on the old map. ;)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
When y'all say NeoCraft, you mean a new map for creative, right? Riiiiight?

I'm kind of expecting the old map for Creative, but I dunno.

The old Neocraft map is actually still ON the server, it's just not enabled right now due to Multiverse not working with Bukkitdev 1.7 yet. It's just sitting there, waiting...

And I have a backup in case anything horrible happens.

I have to admit though, I like us all being on one server. It has been nice.

Fuchsdh

The old Neocraft map is actually still ON the server, it's just not enabled right now due to Multiverse not working with Bukkitdev 1.7 yet. It's just sitting there, waiting...

I like it too. It helps I've already got a creative project to do on the side if I get tired of survival, but I've found with all the shops that have sprung up and the people donating wood and rock staples that it removes a lot of the peskier grinding. It's just more fulfilling to build it all without flying around I guess.

That isometric view of the creative server is amazing though :)

I agree that I kind of like being all on the survival world together, but I also understand having the creative option available, too. And I like having both options for those who want to travel between both.

Also, big thanks to Whiskey for his donations that have gone toward the foundations for my fortress. Lots of smooth stone got used in that.

I understand the worry of breaking the economy and the possible role-playing aspect of the survival mode being broken.

I just like having the same folks around and feeling part of the world with my build. I'm not out to build some ridiculous thing that breaks the illusion. However, opening the gates could lead to that with others.

Was just hoping to diminish the pain in the ass that is mining. I'm into the Craft side of the game. :) Also, seeing the whole group on one server is awesome.

i don't, mostly cause i don't get on currently. i unfortunately just don't have the time or patience for survival anymore. i just want to build something cool while chatting with some people, so the multiverse solution was great.

damn bukkits taking god damn forever to be updated, be nice if this game supported multiple worlds on a server natively, but it'd probably take till 3099 for mojang to do that.

Wichu

I'm trying to get a Flame Bow on my friend's server. I decided to quickly enchant a Bow before I went to bed using up my 30 levels, and got this:
jw6TeQI1cIMoj.png

...what's the chance of getting a perfect enchant?

Too bad it's so good it's unrepairable. I might as well use my Power V book on it and make it the godliest weapon to ever walk the server.

Fuchsdh

New rail map time!

The purple line is now complete from spawn up to my place (aka Foxlodge resort, please be patient while we kill off the zombies on the grounds). Talking with Mirk and puppet, the idea is that we're going to extend the yellow line NNE to Puppet's grinder and then on to the massive tunnel Mirk's been building south from his island of awesome. Just because it's sort of far from spawn I'm thinking I'll dogleg the purple line back a bit so we can have a transfer station south of Mirk's place. Still to do; nice stations at the Abandoned Mine and Birchlands stops, and starting the orange line southward from GAF Central and across the south waters. At this rate I'm not sure how far I'll get expanding the line westward across the water, especially if I decide to tunnel it :|

As for struts, I'm using a slight tweak to this design every 32 or so blocks:

Rn1cO30.png

I think having the glowstone up three blocks instead of two from the rails looks slightly better, and I haven't put the "wings" of stairs on the edge.

Anyhow, pics of places to see if you haven't!

FOXLODGE: Four floors of space and public amenities. If you want to claim a suite and move some stuff in here for a home away from home among the spruce and dark oak trees, be my guest. Coming soon: easy ocean access, anvil and fully-leved enchanting (plus cakes!).

FOXLODGE METRO: There's a tower here. It started out as a callback to 1930's German water towers, but turned into a lighthouse-thingy. Oh well. It's situated right on a massive cleft if you feel like exploring. (Elevator to bedrock will eventually be added.)

ARBORETUM: Western and eastern halves together feature tons of trees and all five tree types transplanted from neighboring biomes. (Please replant!) They're a quick stop heading via the north road from spawn or via the orange line.

MrBig

I dropped a max zoom map of the area just east of spawn in the map chest, map #67. If you want to use it remember to leave a copy in the chest

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any way to join a single player 'opened to LAN' game from outside of the house? I'm away at work and it would be good if I can join my daughter's game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
New rail map time!

The purple line is now complete from spawn up to my place (aka Foxlodge resort, please be patient while we kill off the zombies on the grounds). Talking with Mirk and puppet, the idea is that we're going to extend the yellow line NNE to Puppet's grinder and then on to the massive tunnel Mirk's been building south from his island of awesome. Just because it's sort of far from spawn I'm thinking I'll dogleg the purple line back a bit so we can have a transfer station south of Mirk's place. Still to do; nice stations at the Abandoned Mine and Birchlands stops, and starting the orange line southward from GAF Central and across the south waters. At this rate I'm not sure how far I'll get expanding the line westward across the water, especially if I decide to tunnel it :|

As for struts, I'm using a slight tweak to this design every 32 or so blocks:

Rn1cO30.png

I think having the glowstone up three blocks instead of two from the rails looks slightly better, and I haven't put the "wings" of stairs on the edge.

Anyhow, pics of places to see if you haven't!

FOXLODGE: Four floors of space and public amenities. If you want to claim a suite and move some stuff in here for a home away from home among the spruce and dark oak trees, be my guest. Coming soon: easy ocean access, anvil and fully-leved enchanting (plus cakes!).

FOXLODGE METRO: There's a tower here. It started out as a callback to 1930's German water towers, but turned into a lighthouse-thingy. Oh well. It's situated right on a massive cleft if you feel like exploring. (Elevator to bedrock will eventually be added.)

ARBORETUM: Western and eastern halves together feature tons of trees and all five tree types transplanted from neighboring biomes. (Please replant!) They're a quick stop heading via the north road from spawn or via the orange line.

Just north of Minsc's fortress is a public skelly XP grinder and enchanting room. Linked via the nether too - I need to make a nicer overworld entrance.

UF_C

Banned
Looks like the OT has finally been moved to the Community Board. We are all, officially, 2nd class citizens. :)

Looks like the OT has finally been moved to the Community Board. We are all, officially, 2nd class citizens. :)

Oh thank god I was getting worried that they would run out of space in the Games section for all those topics on bloody Origin and why won't you support this or that and "hey guys I am late to the party at some game no tosser has ever heard of". But now because the Minecraft topic has been moved I can rest easy knowing that there will be plenty of space in the game section now.

Still I guess the topic had a good run whilst it lasted. Surprised it lasted as long as it did really.

MrBig

So getting moved to the Community section is a deathknell for the thread?

I don't see why it would be, it didn't seem like many new people were entering this thread anyway. People who are already here would just continue accessing the thread from their subscriptions page. Also, if you don't already have it enabled, turn on auto subscribe so that you can follow any thread you post in easily no matter what happens to it. If you don't use subscriptions: USE SUBSCRIPTIONS.

-Minsc-

I don't see why it would be, it didn't seem like many new people were entering this thread anyway. People who are already here would just continue accessing the thread from their subscriptions page. Also, if you don't already have it enabled, turn on auto subscribe so that you can follow any thread you post in easily no matter what happens to it. If you don't use subscriptions: USE SUBSCRIPTIONS.

Um, it was my observation that requests to join the server had increased when OT3 was created.

Top Bottom