• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Ah, you bastard. :p

EDIT: Before I go off to bed, I've updated the GAF Metro map (click to make huge):

Changes: I've made the Northern Orange line out of Minsc' fortress classified as "in progress" because I found some gaps here and there so it's not a smooth ride and probably needs more redstone to power up some inclines at good speed anyhow. I've double checked and the purple line should be fine all the way to Foxlodge (rooms still available!) although as a helpful rider noted, creeperes could drop on you outside of Mackroid's town so going during the day is probably still the best until the line gets fully cleaned up whenever I run the returning rail through (won't be for a while, prolly. On the other hand, there's the "spawn" command for the extreme travel.)

More interestingly, the Orange line now has a southbound route! There are two stops, one at the Mushroom Biland, and one at M's "Happy Island" (he picked the name.) To come: Dry's line out southeast, improvements and station-building on the northern line, and possibly the expansion of the red line due east.

(Woolley-- when building the rail I accidentally almost ran it into some redstone contraption you had. I've rerouted it around that with a dozen blocks or so of padding on all sides but if you want me to divert the line further underground, let me know.)

My Island is called "Happy Island aka No Charlies Allowed Island". I just use "Happy Island" to shorten it :D

Also, I have gone ahead and put all the smooth stone to complete the rails line out of my island.

I dont have rails though (use all my iron for my beacon).

WOOLEY - My bridge goes a little bit into your territory (though less than the rail line). If you want me to move it, just say the word.

Last but not least sometime in the future I shall create the "Happy Order".

My fortress will be the HQ.

There will be 2 rules (maybe more in the future):

1 - Charlie isnt allowed
2 - We say "clap clap" on chat whenever we see Charlie online

See ya happy people.....and Charlie.

M4shy

Neo Member
First time on since a few months.
I'll be on more regurlarly if I can get Forge & OptiFine working with eachother.

Also did I hear someone say clan/faction wars? :p

UF_C

Banned
First time on since a few months.
I'll be on more regurlarly if I can get Forge & OptiFine working with eachother.

Also did I hear someone say clan/faction wars? :p

This may not matter but I've found a 1.7.4 version of optifine that doesn't use forge. I'll link it if you think it might help.

So I've read that the world Minecraft generates is something like 8 times the size of earth - is that... legit? (looks like it was in the OP actually. When I watched the X series he said it was 3 times the size of earth) And is it an actual world, or globe, where I can walk north for a billion miles and wind up where I started, or is there eventually just an edge to the world?

Wichu

So I've read that the world Minecraft generates is something like 8 times the size of earth - is that... legit? (looks like it was in the OP actually. When I watched the X series he said it was 3 times the size of earth) And is it an actual world, or globe, where I can walk north for a billion miles and wind up where I started, or is there eventually just an edge to the world?

There's an edge (where the world generation breaks down). It will take you literally years to reach it, though.

Thanks to blu for swinging by my place, making a cool turret... then getting swarmed by mobs while I kept questioning his design and tinkering with the windows.

Builds character, I tells ya.

Into

I hope i dont get yelled at, but:

I just got this on PC, and wondered if there were some addons or mods that were like the console versions in terms of building things? Or at least something in game that shows me recipies to building things without having to alt tab? Something that is simple and easy to install, i just play the game single player or with 1 friend.

I was at Curse and saw tons of addons but i am completely lost as to which one to look out for.

M4shy

Neo Member
This may not matter but I've found a 1.7.4 version of optifine that doesn't use forge. I'll link it if you think it might help.

I've got the 1.7.4 OptiFine, thanks anyway.

I remember on 1.6.x there was a specific version of Forge you had to use, so it leads me to think that any old version of Forge won't work. Will keep digging around and will post if I find any way of doing it.

I just got this on PC, and wondered if there were some addons or mods that were like the console versions in terms of building things? Or at least something in game that shows me recipies to building things without having to alt tab? Something that is simple and easy to install, i just play the game single player or with 1 friend.

I was at Curse and saw tons of addons but i am completely lost as to which one to look out for.
I often have this tab open in my browser if I forget a recipe, then Alt-Tab to it:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Crafting

Just type what you're looking for in the search box.

Vyktal

Hunting those goddamn wolves

Gaughhh gaaaauahuhugfuk. That's the sound of hunting for wolves in this place...

The consensus for how to find wolves in MC seems pretty inconsistent. I've managed to find the following info:
CONFIRMED
- Wolves spawn only in Forest, Taiga, Mega Taiga, Cold Taiga, and Cold Taiga M biomes (source wiki)
- They're tamed with bones
- Wolves are rare
NOT CONFIRMED
- Wolves only spawn in light, therefore it's good to find an area and plant torches everywhere so you can still hunt at night
- The best tactic is to stay in one place in the forest and just keep on looking...

(If anyone has anymore hard info/tips then please share them!)

I found a snow biome spruce forest (I guess it's forest+cold taiga?) and Kien and I found an area pretty deep in the woods. What we've now done is made 2 look-out platforms (Wolf Lookout Alpha and Beta) hidden amongst the treetops at a couple of high points, and cleared some trees in the surrounding area to clear the view (coords X4096, Z-934). We've planted torches, so now it's just a waiting game... and I'm sick of waiting. In future Kien and myself might pop back there from time-to-time. If anyone wants to try their luck, feel free to visit the lookouts! But if you find 2+ PLEASE BREED THEM WE WILL GIVE YOU DIAMONDS!

There's an edge (where the world generation breaks down). It will take you literally years to reach it, though.

The mind boggles...

Vyktal

Bloody ell...

I now found a post saying that wolves are uncommon spawns in the aforementioned biomes, but unlike other animals they DESPAWN. So, unless you find a brand new forest which fits the criteria and are lucky, you won't find them in an already discovered wood... so many hours....

What they also suggest is if you stay in a forest, you should kill every non-wolf animal. Then you should leave that area and reappear (e.g. teleport in or log out and in again) during the DAY, and then as new passives spawn, there's a small chance a wolf might spawn. Also someone is saying that wolves will only spawn in the correct biome, on a grass block, with minimum 9 light level, at least 24 blocks away from the player.......

I don't even know anymore.

-SD-

Banned
I found myself the other day, once again, dreaming of how magnificent a default Minecraft Survival world could really be, should more of its potential be released:

- XYZ drawing distance 4 times longer (64 chunks/1024 blocks)
- depth from sea level 256
- Nether seamlessly connected with Overworld with bedrock destroyable by a very special and rare craftable TnT charge
- Ether and Moon dimensions
- Nether, Ether and Moon portals still usable, of course.

You could dig a 256-block-deep hole, blow up bedrock to make a sizeable opening into Nether, climb back to surface and look down staring straight into Nether far down below and seeing everything there with no distance fog. Just imagine O_O

I wouldn't even care if all that was made available only for single-player worlds.

Vyktal

Hey again guys, sorry for the multiple posts on the same topic, but I have a question:

Kien and I are now trying to induce spawns of passive mobs in the forest area in the hopes of eventually spawning some wolves. What we're doing now, is during the day we're running through a set area of the forest between the tree house and look-outs, killing any non-wolf passive or aggressive mob (currently we've found very few creatures and the forest is distinctly barren of animals). As night starts to fall we warp back home, do some castle work during the night, and then a couple mins after sunrise we warp back to the forest and rinse and repeat.

In my head the above plan should eventually work, except we're finding barely any animals in the forest! If every time we warped back we found 10+ animals roaming about then I'd be certain the theory was right and we'd eventually hit a wolf. But little if anything is spawning. We've taken to stretching beyond the forest edge a bit, killing animals that could conceivably be restricting the respawn cap, but so far to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice? Is what we're doing superfluous for some reason? In particular I wonder about the following:
A) According to wiki, in multiplayer servers things respawn in a 128 block circle around players. There are unexplored caves under the forest surface. Due to the hardcore difficulty, might these caves be teeming with baddies who are occupying the respawn slots for potential passive animals?
B) For mobs to respawn, would we need to be in the forest precisely at the beginning of the next respawn cycle (which I think happens at dawn sometime)? If we waited in the forest at the time, would the respawn slots not be filled by aggressive mobs emerging from the dark just before sunrise?

Again, sorry for the excess detail in the post. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I found myself the other day, once again, dreaming of how magnificent a default Minecraft Survival world could really be, should more of its potential be released:

- XYZ drawing distance 4 times longer (64 chunks/1024 blocks)
- depth from sea level 256
- Nether seamlessly connected with Overworld with bedrock destroyable by a very special and rare craftable TnT charge
- Ether and Moon dimensions
- Nether, Ether and Moon portals still usable, of course.

You could dig a 256-block-deep hole, blow up bedrock to make a sizeable opening into Nether, climb back to surface and look down staring straight into Nether far down below and seeing everything there with no distance fog. Just imagine O_O

I wouldn't even care if all that was made available only for single-player worlds.

Moon dimension, now thats a sweet idea. I honestly like the nether being a "fast travel" dimension separate from the main world,it gives it both a purpose and a reason to be so different. But the concept of being able to travel to the moon and explore it by a new kind of portal, that sounds freakin awesome. It could have different gravity, and be made up of moon blocks, with freaky new biomes and trees and other new stuff. And the sun would still travel across the sky as well as the main planet would, but the day / night cycle would be different, like change every 30 minutes instead, so that when it went dark you knew it would be dark for some time.

That's an incredible idea for a new "dimension" in the game...

limlark

B) For mobs to respawn, would we need to be in the forest precisely at the beginning of the next respawn cycle (which I think happens at dawn sometime)?
I don't think this is necessary. I think I found some wolves on here once since the reset, in the middle of the day. Didn't know they were so rare.

MrBig

Yes there are several options for this. HUDini; QuickCraft; Not Enough Items

HUDini uses the standard MC modding api so in terms of not bothering with extra stuff that would be the best one to use, but if you like how one of the others work just follow their instructions.

For HUDini, install forge 1.6.4 (forge and this mod for the current version of MC is still in dev so you'll have to play on 1.6.4 when you want to use it) and drop the HUDini file into the mods folder of the MC dir/forge profile dir. Then in the bottom left of the MC launcher there is a profile dropdown where you can select forge or another version of MC. Video of the process.

-SD-

Banned
It could have different gravity, and be made up of moon blocks, with freaky new biomes and trees and other new stuff. And the sun would still travel across the sky as well as the main planet would, but the day / night cycle would be different, like change every 30 minutes instead, so that when it went dark you knew it would be dark for some time.
I hear you, man. Would be so awesome. Due to its smaller size, you could perhaps actually travel around the thing, given enough time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_side_of_the_Moon

^ that place... would be a bad, BAD place for settlers. Permanent night...

-SD-

Banned
You mean Jeb?

One man can't do it. There should be tons of people suggesting the Moon dimension to Jeb for it to have any kind of chance of getting his attention.

Vyktal

(so many messages today!)

Hey, can I be a pain and ask if some more players could be recruited into the server? If they're allowed in Kien and I will make sure to introduce them to all the rules and ensure they're good to go.

Their names are:
Arena525
Sassumi
SamueI_D

Thanks!

Fuchsdh

zEbNX40.gif

Updated rails as of 2014-02-09. Wooley disapproved of my rails mucking up his view so he's shifting them and thus the orange line doesn't reach Happy Island now (aww).

On the plus side, there's now two new stations on the purple line; the line now deadends at a transfer station to the in-progress yellow line, but you can ride it north to Mirk's Island currently. Dry's line is about a 1/4th of the way completed, no stops as of yet.

Vyktal

Updated rails as of 2014-02-09. Wooley disapproved of my rails mucking up his view so he's shifting them and thus the orange line doesn't reach Happy Island now (aww).

On the plus side, there's now two new stations on the purple line; the line now deadends at a transfer station to the in-progress yellow line, but you can ride it north to Mirk's Island currently. Dry's line is about a 1/4th of the way completed, no stops as of yet.

That's looking brilliant fuch. Can't wait for when we can attach our castle to it!

MrBig

I'd worry about it once we get to that point. Would probably just mean extending your station by two blocks to accommodate. But like I said I'm probably going to focus on finishing off the orange, yellow, red, and green lines first. There's thousands of blocks of other rail to worry about before I make some lines two-track. So I'll let you know when that might be an issue :)

Went ahead and redid the area around my house anyway. The area outside my windows is now a double lane ornate bridge rather than a line of cobble, and I extended Mackroid's rail aesthetic for as far as was visible from his build. Instead of rebuilding my station I just moved the outgoing rail over one just after Tunlu station.

Noooooooo! Charlie did this right? Is he forcing Wooley? :(

So is it ever coming back? :p

masud

Banned
It will once Wooley finishes his (admittedly nicer-looking) underground passage. I dunno how far he's building it out.

What are your coordinates? Not sure which line to attach you to.

My place is directly south of where drys line ends (or where it ended).I'm gonna start building a tunnel north next time I log on. If you could lay down the tracks that's be awesome. Someone (forgot who) has a build in the swamp directly east of me too if you're gonna extend it further.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
HUDini is awesome. But I can't have it installed with Optifine? And apparently need to have it installed on the server too? (It won't let me connect to my server if I use its profile.)

My kingdom for a drag and drop Mod API.

Fuchsdh

My place is directly south of where drys line ends (or where it ended).I'm gonna start building a tunnel north next time I log on. If you could lay down the tracks that's be awesome. Someone (forgot who) has a build in the swamp directly east of me too if you're gonna extend it further.
Need moar deets. Just chuck me your F3 coordinates next time you're at hime so I can plot the line better. Dry's place currently is ill-equipped for a through station so I'm going to need to think about how to route a rail beyond his place, prolly underground.

Hoping to finish off the yellow line later today, finally have the basic route laid out from Gaf Station to the spawners. After the track is laid, I'll carry it on to Mirk's Island. Stations planned at:

(spawn)
Puppet's Racetrack
Gruubal's Excavation
UFCraig's
LOLDuke's
Puppets' Spawners

I may have screwed up names on the destination board at spawn, feel free to correct.

Also, I tried to make this a scenic rail instead of putting it all underground. Putting in supports later is going to be a bitch.

Fuchsdh

Hoping to finish off the yellow line later today, finally have the basic route laid out from Gaf Station to the spawners. After the track is laid, I'll carry it on to Mirk's Island. Stations planned at:

(spawn)
Puppet's Racetrack
Gruubal's Excavation
UFCraig's
LOLDuke's
Puppets' Spawners

I may have screwed up names on the destination board at spawn, feel free to correct.

Also, I tried to make this a scenic rail instead of putting it all underground. Putting in supports later is going to be a bitch.
I'll run the line later on for updating the map and can help put in some of the scenery if needs be. If you need rails or reds tone let me know (I'm out of glows tone at the moment.(

I'll run the line later on for updating the map and can help put in some of the scenery if needs be. If you need rails or reds tone let me know (I'm out of glows tone at the moment.(
I hope what I did at the station with the signs was ok. I thought people would want to see their stations listed. Let me know if you need redstone, gold or sticks when I'm back on, it's just iron I'm out of.

Crispy75

Dry's place currently is ill-equipped for a through station so I'm going to need to think about how to route a rail beyond his place

Should be able to make it a spur, with a switch track selector arrangement at the junction of the mainline. Three copies of this arrangement: http://www.instructables.com/id/Minecraft-Mine-cart-Manual-Track-Switch/ plus some careful use of de-re-railing junctions should be able to handle it.

Yellow = track
White = blocks
Red = reserved for redstone

Q9gap05.png

No matter which direction you approach from, it's a matter of pressing one button, without getting out of your cart, to choose one or the other destination. Some rail bridges required at the crossovers of course :)

EDITED: Neater layout.

Fuchsdh

I hope what I did at the station with the signs was ok. I thought people would want to see their stations listed. Let me know if you need redstone, gold or sticks when I'm back on, it's just iron I'm out of.
If it's not ill fix it :p I've got plenty of iron, not much gold, if you've got a drop box I'll dump it in for you.

Have people decided on a location for the pvp arena? Might make a good red line stop further east...

mrklaw

MrArseFace

its a bit confusing that the orange line north bound is downstairs but no signs to it - can you put something that guides people downstairs? You go through north bound and its only the purple line.

(like the wide signs though)

Crispy75

its a bit confusing that the orange line north bound is downstairs but no signs to it - can you put something that guides people downstairs? You go through north bound and its only the purple line.

(like the wide signs though)

Some orange wool on the end of the stairs?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do you make a temporary train station so the minecart will stop, and you can carry on with a button press? I've put a powered rail up on a ramp, but it keeps sending me back the way I came :p

Northern orange line reparied and powered properly now Fuchsdh

Crispy75

how do you make a temporary train station so the minecart will stop, and you can carry on with a button press? I've put a powered rail up on a ramp, but it keeps sending me back the way I came :p

You want the ramp to face in the direction of travel, not the other way round. Powered sloped rail will send a cart downhill, unless it's already moving uphill.

vbbjIUH.png

Fuchsdh

You want the ramp to face in the direction of travel, not the other way round. Powered sloped rail will send a cart downhill, unless it's already moving uphill.

vbbjIUH.png

Haha that chart.

I can't really make sense of that junction. Seems so damn complicated for just one spur off...

Awesome. If you want you can copy the station design I have by Minsc's (or I'll get around to doing it myself once I get some glowstone.) Basically for non-custom above-ground stations I'm using the same design, and just switching up the roof to the type of tree that's nearby (or sandstone for the desert.)

masud

Banned
Need moar deets. Just chuck me your F3 coordinates next time you're at hime so I can plot the line better. Dry's place currently is ill-equipped for a through station so I'm going to need to think about how to route a rail beyond his place, prolly underground.

The center of the room where drys line ended is at x 1841-42 and like z 345. I started working on a tunnel along x1841-43 starting at my base around z 1030. The floor of the tunnel is gonna be between y 38-42. right now I've dug to about z 582. Gonna bring it above ground there so that we can have a stop at mengy's (I think) little house. From there I was gonna leave the last 200 or so blocks up to dry to see what he wants to do with it.

Ark

I've just upgraded the server's RAM, that should solve our restarting issues. If the problem persists, we're fucked.

Fuchsdh

I have been informed that the first few stops have been created on the yellow line, Wooley has done a cracking job on his tunnel so the orange line southbound is once again complete, and the first line on Dry's SE green line will take you to the mesa.

Top Bottom