• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Ark

I don't see why it would be, it didn't seem like many new people were entering this thread anyway. People who are already here would just continue accessing the thread from their subscriptions page. Also, if you don't already have it enabled, turn on auto subscribe so that you can follow any thread you post in easily no matter what happens to it. If you don't use subscriptions: USE SUBSCRIPTIONS.

We had a massive amount of new people join the thread & server when we moved to OT3 and opened the new GAFLand map. When we were moved to Community before in OT2, the thread & server slowly died.

I suppose each time an update comes out someone can make thread in OT with a link back to this thread.

This is a good idea actually.

Crispy75

Puppet Shadow said:
I suppose each time an update comes out someone can make thread in OT with a link back to this thread.
This is a good idea actually.

I concur.

Mengy, I took a tour of your ravine(s) the other day for the first time and I really like what you've done with the place. It's exactly like you said it would be back in December :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I concur.

Mengy, I took a tour of your ravine(s) the other day for the first time and I really like what you've done with the place. It's exactly like you said it would be back in December :)

Thanks! It's not done yet, still have to finish up the village part, and set up tree farms and lots of detailing work. Plus once we get the new stones in 1.8 I'm going to revamp a lot of it.

I just got distracted making a flower farm across the ocean, and setting up nether roads, and then making an emerald mine, and then.....

UF_C

Banned
Thanks! It's not done yet, still have to finish up the village part, and set up tree farms and lots of detailing work. Plus once we get the new stones in 1.8 I'm going to revamp a lot of it.

I just got distracted making a flower farm across the ocean, and setting up nether roads, and then making an emerald mine, and then.....

Any idea when 1.8 will be coming out? I've been dragging my feet on a build in the hopes the new stone blocks come out soon.

Mengy

Any idea when 1.8 will be coming out? I've been dragging my feet on a build in the hopes the new stone blocks come out soon.

Don't wait for it, it's going to be a long time. Hell we aren't even "officially" on 1.7 yet, I got us up and running on a development version of bukkit 1.7 just so we could play instead of wait. I doubt GAFland will see any 1.8 stuff for months yet.

MrBig

We had a massive amount of new people join the thread & server when we moved to OT3 and opened the new GAFLand map. When we were moved to Community before in OT2, the thread & server slowly died.

I suppose I didn't see this as I didn't really post in this thread before - I had a sub for it and joined because of the new map, not because of the topic being in gaming.

Francheska

Neo Member
Hey everyone! Hope you're all having a good day / evening / night :)

Just wanted to say... I've started making a building in gaf city - close to Kien's place and behind the Shire.

It's looks a little rubbish at the moment, but I assure you it'll look nice once I'm finished. So don't panic that it'll stay looking rubbish!

ATM I'm having computing troubles - I was using Vyktal's old computer up until today when the motherboard finally said it's goodbyes and disintegrated into sweet, pixilated oblivion. This has left me with a very oldschool brick to use, making minecraft very jerky and slow. Luckily there is a new computer on its way, but until it arrives next weekend my build in gaf central will remain in a sorry state of affairs. I wanted to post on here and warn everyone so no one got annoyed at the eyesore!

So I finally decided to see what the fuss was about and downloaded Minecraft last week. I looked at those X's Adventures in Minecraft videos and lost about 4 hours, it looked really fun! So I made the plunge and bought it.

Oh my god.

I don't know when I had as much fun with a game. I haven't played a whole lot, just some survival building a fortress in the middle of a lake, and a cool house and tower up on a mountain, but just oh my gosh I'm loving it. I actually lost 12 hours a few days ago playing.

I know barely anything about it, I know there's a Nether and a The End, and every so often I see Endermen outside my house and freak out. I've found some diamond and crafted a pick but it's almost used up and I know I'm gonna have to venture out again to find a new cave to dig into, as I think I may have found all I could under my fortress.

I also was down in a dungeon or something, digging my way along the side because it was FILLED with baddies and I was scared as fuck of dying, and suddenly I see a person down there?!? I looked online and I guess it was a witch, and I ran into one by my tower a few [in game] days later, what the hell that scared the shit out of me.

I'm feeling the need to adventure outside of my little area soon, maybe see where the river goes that's near my lake fort, or search for an area with some wolves to tame, or maybe a horse? I also keep seeing talk of vehicles or mine carts or something, I'm gonna look into crafting some of that shit to connect all my areas.... once I figure out how to build a compass to find my way back home one I set out.

I haven't even begun to look into this spells stuff, I don't know if I even want any part of that, but maybe it becomes a more prominent thing as the game "progresses" but man I am having so much fun!! Once I feel like I have keyboard controls down better (this is my first actual PC game I think, using M&KB instead of a controller) maybe I'll come scope out GAFland? Ahhhh this game is so cooooooooool!!

Fuchsdh

So I finally decided to see what the fuss was about and downloaded Minecraft last week. I looked at those X's Adventures in Minecraft videos and lost about 4 hours, it looked really fun! So I made the plunge and bought it.

Oh my god.

I don't know when I had as much fun with a game. I haven't played a whole lot, just some survival building a fortress in the middle of a lake, and a cool house and tower up on a mountain, but just oh my gosh I'm loving it. I actually lost 12 hours a few days ago playing.

I know barely anything about it, I know there's a Nether and a The End, and every so often I see Endermen outside my house and freak out. I've found some diamond and crafted a pick but it's almost used up and I know I'm gonna have to venture out again to find a new cave to dig into, as I think I may have found all I could under my fortress.

I also was down in a dungeon or something, digging my way along the side because it was FILLED with baddies and I was scared as fuck of dying, and suddenly I see a person down there?!? I looked online and I guess it was a witch, and I ran into one by my tower a few [in game] days later, what the hell that scared the shit out of me.

I'm feeling the need to adventure outside of my little area soon, maybe see where the river goes that's near my lake fort, or search for an area with some wolves to tame, or maybe a horse? I also keep seeing talk of vehicles or mine carts or something, I'm gonna look into crafting some of that shit to connect all my areas.... once I figure out how to build a compass to find my way back home one I set out.

I haven't even begun to look into this spells stuff, I don't know if I even want any part of that, but maybe it becomes a more prominent thing as the game "progresses" but man I am having so much fun!! Once I feel like I have keyboard controls down better (this is my first actual PC game I think, using M&KB instead of a controller) maybe I'll come scope out GAFland? Ahhhh this game is so cooooooooool!!

join usss

Vyktal

Oh my god.

Gafland will blow your mind.

-Minsc-

Oh my god.

Ha ha, awesome.

I actually recommend staying offline for a while. Sure, GafLand is awesome but there's something about that fresh Minecraft experience you'll miss if head online right away. Enjoy your sense of discovery, no need to bog yourself down right away with the expectations of more experienced players. :)

Mengy

Oh my god.

Nice! X's Adventures are actually what got me to buy Minecraft back in July of 2010. I remember I first saw a video of a guy building a fireplace in his friend's wooden house and then he becomes mystified as his friend's house burns down around him. After that youtube had a link to The Adventures of X on the same page, so I clicked it, watched his first couple episodes (he only had just started the X cave at that point, I think it was the same day he uploaded them actually) and that was it. I bought the game that same hour, I think it cost $12 back then?

Man, that was almost four years ago, LOL.

Enjoy the discovery Word, you've only just touched on what makes the game so great at this point.

Fuchsdh

Ha ha, awesome.

I actually recommend staying offline for a while. Sure, GafLand is awesome but there's something about that fresh Minecraft experience you'll miss if head online right away. Enjoy your sense of discovery, no need to bog yourself down right away with the expectations of more experienced players. :)

They'll criticize your cobble towers.

Also, to whoever tore down Dry's line out of GAF, boo. Be nice.

Ark

What's the full story?

EDIT: Does anyone know a decent anti-grief addon we could use on 1.7? I'm really out of my depth when it comes to anti-grief addons.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the full story?

EDIT: Does anyone know a decent anti-grief addon we could use on 1.7? I'm really out of my depth when it comes to anti-grief addons.

don't know whether it is 1.7 compatible, but I use coreprotect on the family server. Fairly easy to rollback areas, plus you can interrogate blocks to see who changed them. So you can fix things and kick the griefer too

They'll criticize your cobble towers.

Also, to whoever tore down Dry's line out of GAF, boo. Be nice.

I sure hope it wasn't some sort of griefing. :(

Anyways, making slow progress on Katzegard. Going to be a long, long time to get this done on my own, just the first phase of constructing the walls and adding in detail work alone. I've got some work started on it already.

I'm still accepting cobble and smooth stone donations at the moment, too. Haven't dug out the mines under my main keep yet.

Fuchsdh

Someone left snarky signs at Dry's line and someone (else?) tore it down. I personally would prefer all the lines out of GAF Central looked similar but there's no reason to be a jerk -.-

woolley

Anyways, making slow progress on Katzegard. Going to be a long, long time to get this done on my own, just the first phase of constructing the walls and adding in detail work alone. I've got some work started on it already.

I'm still accepting cobble and smooth stone donations at the moment, too. Haven't dug out the mines under my main keep yet.

Well if you ever need cobble you can take as much as you want from my house in the mushroom biome. I'm on my 7th double chest of the stuff and there's gonna be a lot more soon.

That goes for anyone else too, just don't take anything else.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i need a fresh start; the store is an endless task and im taking days off just to avoid the tedium of paper trades.

i think i might just wander off and start anew since my current home is close enough to spawn that i can make a new sethome and indulge my itchy building bone.

This is blowing up more than I thought or really wanted it to. I'll try to explain my point of view.

I originally wanted my rail to reflect my estate: lots of flora and fauna and topiaries and etc. My line was going down the middle so that the sides could be used for all the decorations down the entire line. I had unfinished stuff built at the spawn stuff representing what I was going to do for the entire line and a 1-2 block wide line straight to my place.

Someone had torn down what I had built from the spawn station to a little outside the spawn town limits and left a couple signs essentially saying that each station output had 2 rails for a reason. I took down the rest of the line since I don't know who was doing this and I didn't want to start shit. If it is really so important that people took it upon themselves to tear some of it down, then I figure they can do *all* of the work for the rail reaching my place so it fits with their design.

I never even really thought of this as that big a deal. The main problem I think everyone is having with this isn't that the rail was torn down, it's more to do with the passive aggressive and somewhat anonymous way it was done. It's the same reason Vyktal got really pissed not too long ago. If anyone has an actual problem with me be it my builds or my bitchiness or whatever, then say something to me and let me know you have an issue. We even have the /whisper command if you don't want to make a scene.

Hell, I'm probably the biggest asshole on the server, but I at least take credit for everything I do. I have no problem telling Ark he's a big fuck-off for liking goddamn Lightning or messing with Charlie's shitty dome build right in front of him. But I always let people know it was me and I always fix anything I mess up. There's a very fine line with doing anything with other people's builds.

Long story short, seriously fuck Ark for liking Lightning Returns I mean Jesus Tapdancing Christ what is wrong with that asshole.

Ark

Long story short, seriously fuck Ark for liking Lightning Returns I mean Jesus Tapdancing Christ what is wrong with that asshole.

tumblr_ma907zAGUY1r9zlcw.gif

tumblr_mazngho4uy1rhxtqmo1_400.gif

There is no need to be mad.

DukeSucks

I have some cobble, I'll drop off at your house next time I'm on.

This is blowing up more than I thought or really wanted it to. I'll try to explain my point of view.

I originally wanted my rail to reflect my estate: lots of flora and fauna and topiaries and etc. My line was going down the middle so that the sides could be used for all the decorations down the entire line. I had unfinished stuff built at the spawn stuff representing what I was going to do for the entire line and a 1-2 block wide line straight to my place.

Someone had torn down what I had built from the spawn station to a little outside the spawn town limits and left a couple signs essentially saying that each station output had 2 rails for a reason. I took down the rest of the line since I don't know who was doing this and I didn't want to start shit. If it is really so important that people took it upon themselves to tear some of it down, then I figure they can do *all* of the work for the rail reaching my place so it fits with their design.

I never even really thought of this as that big a deal. The main problem I think everyone is having with this isn't that the rail was torn down, it's more to do with the passive aggressive and somewhat anonymous way it was done. It's the same reason Vyktal got really pissed not too long ago. If anyone has an actual problem with me be it my builds or my bitchiness or whatever, then say something to me and let me know you have an issue. We even have the /whisper command if you don't want to make a scene.

Hell, I'm probably the biggest asshole on the server, but I at least take credit for everything I do. I have no problem telling Ark he's a big fuck-off for liking goddamn Lightning or messing with Charlie's shitty dome build right in front of him. But I always let people know it was me and I always fix anything I mess up. There's a very fine line with doing anything with other people's builds.

I like your scarves.

UF_C

Banned

Maybe they just have library envy?

Fuchsdh

Maybe they just have library envy?

I know I do. That and his mastery of Victorian-style construction in Minecraft.

I'll probably end up building out the line your way, Dry. My occupation has pretty much shifted to "all the rails" now. Once I'm finished with my lodge (and probably get an iron farm going on my grounds) it'll be all I shall be doing probably :)

UF_C

Banned
I know I do. That and his mastery of Victorian-style construction in Minecraft.

I'll probably end up building out the line your way, Dry. My occupation has pretty much shifted to "all the rails" now. Once I'm finished with my lodge (and probably get an iron farm going on my grounds) it'll be all I shall be doing probably :)
It was Fuch! It was Fuch!

You all must have hated the rail line I put into my place. Luckily someone extended it a bit.

Fuchsdh

It was Fuch! It was Fuch!

You all must have hated the rail line I put into my place. Luckily someone extended it a bit.

Where's your place? One of the problems I've been having is I dunno where everyone is so I don't know what to name destinations :p

(If people put a sign by their rails too I'll take the name they give them. I just want names, people, is that too hard to ask?)

Fuchsdh

If it makes you feel any better, I always drop all the rotten flesh I accumulate into his mailbox

Ah, you bastard. :p

EDIT: Before I go off to bed, I've updated the GAF Metro map (click to make huge):

Changes: I've made the Northern Orange line out of Minsc' fortress classified as "in progress" because I found some gaps here and there so it's not a smooth ride and probably needs more redstone to power up some inclines at good speed anyhow. I've double checked and the purple line should be fine all the way to Foxlodge (rooms still available!) although as a helpful rider noted, creeperes could drop on you outside of Mackroid's town so going during the day is probably still the best until the line gets fully cleaned up whenever I run the returning rail through (won't be for a while, prolly. On the other hand, there's the "spawn" command for the extreme travel.)

More interestingly, the Orange line now has a southbound route! There are two stops, one at the Mushroom Biland, and one at M's "Happy Island" (he picked the name.) To come: Dry's line out southeast, improvements and station-building on the northern line, and possibly the expansion of the red line due east.

(Woolley-- when building the rail I accidentally almost ran it into some redstone contraption you had. I've rerouted it around that with a dozen blocks or so of padding on all sides but if you want me to divert the line further underground, let me know.)

MrBig

Server performance has been perfect for me the last couple days, the issue of having to wait what felt like minutes after every teleport/warp/spawn etc is gone.

...until the line gets fully cleaned up whenever I run the returning rail through

I didn't know there was going to be two lanes. As Eridani station is positioned around the assumption of one lane, how will the two lanes be set up so I can modify it? I'll probably just end up corning the lanes to shift them each over one at the entrance/exit in this case though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

First, it is out of order for someone to tear down the line, even partly.

However, isn't it an overreaction to tear the whole thing down? Would it have been impossible to have some boring track at the station for a short distance and then turn into your preferred design?

Fuchsdh, I'll check the line past minscs fortress. Shouldn't have any gaps unless enderman have been messing with it? But the power may need adjusting here and there. Doesn't really have a destination past the Skelly spawner anyway, just the ice plains with nothing there yet.

Edit: Nihotiger, can we donate to buy you a less squeaky space bar. ;)

UF_C

Banned
Ah, you bastard. :p

EDIT: Before I go off to bed, I've updated the GAF Metro map (click to make huge):

Changes: I've made the Northern Orange line out of Minsc' fortress classified as "in progress" because I found some gaps here and there so it's not a smooth ride and probably needs more redstone to power up some inclines at good speed anyhow. I've double checked and the purple line should be fine all the way to Foxlodge (rooms still available!) although as a helpful rider noted, creeperes could drop on you outside of Mackroid's town so going during the day is probably still the best until the line gets fully cleaned up whenever I run the returning rail through (won't be for a while, prolly. On the other hand, there's the "spawn" command for the extreme travel.)

More interestingly, the Orange line now has a southbound route! There are two stops, one at the Mushroom Biland, and one at M's "Happy Island" (he picked the name.) To come: Dry's line out southeast, improvements and station-building on the northern line, and possibly the expansion of the red line due east.

(Woolley-- when building the rail I accidentally almost ran it into some redstone contraption you had. I've rerouted it around that with a dozen blocks or so of padding on all sides but if you want me to divert the line further underground, let me know.)

There are a few landmarks to add between the what is now Tunlu station and Eridani station. There are two public grinders, a public farm, public tree farm, and an enchantment table. I could take you on a tour when you got a moment.

Also. Do you think on your map you might also add where Nether Portals are? Might be interesting to see....or a PITA to figure out.

gblues

Banned
So I dropped by the server the other day. Some seriously cool work. Got a laugh at the "buy Lightning Returns" sign.

But as a newb I felt a little overwhelmed. Not sure how to get started without either being accused of griefing or destroying a legit beautiful design. Where do I get wood? I couldn't find any trees in the wild to use.

Fuchsdh

I didn't know there was going to be two lanes. As Eridani station is positioned around the assumption of one lane, how will the two lanes be set up so I can modify it? I'll probably just end up corning the lanes to shift them each over one at the entrance/exit in this case though.

I'd worry about it once we get to that point. Would probably just mean extending your station by two blocks to accommodate. But like I said I'm probably going to focus on finishing off the orange, yellow, red, and green lines first. There's thousands of blocks of other rail to worry about before I make some lines two-track. So I'll let you know when that might be an issue :)

There are a few landmarks to add between the what is now Tunlu station and Eridani station. There are two public grinders, a public farm, public tree farm, and an enchantment table. I could take you on a tour when you got a moment.

Also. Do you think on your map you might also add where Nether Portals are? Might be interesting to see....or a PITA to figure out.
Yep, bug me next time and I'll take a better walk around. I mostly just powered through the area laying track.

The Nether portals I've seen *are* on there (the "N" blocks), though I don't have any connections between them drawn.

Forgot the "Tunlu" name when I went back to add to the map, knew it started with a 'T' but couldn't remember what :p It'll be added to the next version.

Fuch, today I plan to get off my ass and finish the yellow line (at least to LOLduke's place / my spawners).

I've been playing with the spawner area all week since I discovered the open area above ground produces far more mobs than twin spawners do at night. After the line is done, I'll finish off the racetrack, which I think I started over a month ago. Heh, I guess I get distracted too easily.

Sorry to here about your line dry, let me know if you need anything for repairs.

Fuchsdh

So I dropped by the server the other day. Some seriously cool work. Got a laugh at the "buy Lightning Returns" sign.

But as a newb I felt a little overwhelmed. Not sure how to get started without either being accused of griefing or destroying a legit beautiful design. Where do I get wood? I couldn't find any trees in the wild to use.

North of spawn there's an arboretum with all the tree types; replant what you take for others, but otherwise grab all you want form there.

Plenty of space out north in the desert or east in the grasslands or northeast in the forests. Hop on a rail and see where it takes you. As long as you put some buffer between you and other projects no one should care where you end up. Foxlodge also has guest rooms, tables and furnaces if you want a staging area in the NE before you find your own place.

Ark

The Arkyoto-Nether-Rail is now complete! I have drawn a complete blank when it comes to Japanese housing. The castle interiors aren't done yet because I've been trying (and failing) at a Japanese-esque city.

It's a ~5-6 minute trip, when you head into the portal from spawn make sure to go south and follow the signs. If you wish to build in Arkyoto, feel free to use any of the plots already laid out. Though the city is still in 'alpha' stage ;) Consider this as 'GAF Early Access'.

Top Bottom