• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

Don't know if there's a better way, but you can check out the changelists on the Minecraft wiki. I think the PS4 version is roughly equal to 1.3, while 1.8 just came out on the PC.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Pretty_Scary_Update
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Redstone_Update
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Horse_Update
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/The_Update_that_Changed_the_World
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/The_Bountiful_Update

Thanks man. I just am a bit disappointed that next gen consoles cant keep up with the updates. Kinda annoying that there is also a limit for farming, and it just seems I should play on PC

Mostly just mod support. The PC version also has custom skins you can make and custom texture packs, but mods are the biggest difference. New mobs, the ability to transform into mobs, new biomes, custom shaders, computers, electricity, space travel, and automation of farms, are pretty cool additions that mods provide the PC version.

Also persistent online servers and essentially endless worlds.

Here's a video of Minecraft with shaders...
http://youtu.be/dkJBVYrEAqw

This is just incredibly gorgeous. I REALLY want to play that survival level. I should buy this on PC.

If I buy it on PC, it's just a matter of downloading these levels/finding them on the server? I am very enthralled with this game and may just play it for the rest of the year, but the console version feels like it really lacks a lot of the connectivity/adventures of the PC community.

The 360 version went through many updates right? I just hope the same for my PS4

If I buy it on PC, it's just a matter of downloading these levels/finding them on the server? I am very enthralled with this game and may just play it for the rest of the year, but the console version feels like it really lacks a lot of the connectivity/adventures of the PC community.

Yeah, downloading worlds is pretty easy on PC. You just grab the zip file and extract the folder containing the world to your %APPDATA%/.minecraft/saves folder (Or wherever you chose to have your profile directory, that's the default). Mods like those shaders are a bit more complicated, but typically either have an installer or just require opening the core game .jar file and adding the mod's files (that's not exactly the ideal method now, but some mods still may use it).

From what I know of the console version though I'd say its connectivity is a bit better since it's easier to connect to friends and all, but it is true that you lack out on the dedicated servers that the PC version has. Real communities can build around those servers, though I'm not a big fan of the huge, massive, hundred person public ones. I don't play on it, but there is a GAF server you could check out if you get the PC version.

Yeah, downloading worlds is pretty easy on PC. You just grab the zip file and extract the folder containing the world to your %APPDATA%/.minecraft/saves folder (Or wherever you chose to have your profile directory, that's the default). Mods like those shaders are a bit more complicated, but typically either have an installer or just require opening the core game .jar file and adding the mod's files (that's not exactly the ideal method now, but some mods still may use it).

From what I know of the console version though I'd say its connectivity is a bit better since it's easier to connect to friends and all, but it is true that you lack out on the dedicated servers that the PC version has. Real communities can build around those servers, though I'm not a big fan of the huge, massive, hundred person public ones. I don't play on it, but there is a GAF server you could check out if you get the PC version.

I just want to download created adventures and explore created worlds, see other creations, etc. I'm pretty surprised that the next gen versions arent getting flak for not having this feature

I just want to download created adventures and explore created worlds, see other creations, etc. I'm pretty surprised that the next gen versions arent getting flak for not having this feature

It is crystal clear to me that since Mojang were in discussions for some time with Microsoft they stopped caring, and just instructed 4j to port the current rather stale PS3 edition over to next-gen to stop people complaining where is minecraft.

It could have been a day 1 PS4 / X1 title. But they had their eyes on the other prize, the $2b.

GulAtiCa

Have a few good ideas of how to use the sticky piston. But need those slime's...

Nevermind.. Apparently you can't pull a track downwards without it breaking. :(

Actually... can't pull, but can push it down. would just need a good bit of sticky pistons.. lol

Ferr986

Welp! I almost burn my wooden house trying to make a fireplace. I surrounded the fire by a couple of brick blocks in all directions, but I guess its not enough

GulAtiCa

Awesome! Thankfully the console version tells you your seed number. Was able to use a slime chunk finder. Made a big 16x16 by 3 high open block way under my house and waited a little ways away and found some slimes!

Kysen

Slipped into lava and died after trekking deep underground(5min+), lost everything. Never raged so hard in my life. Felt like Dark souls but 100x worse as in that game you don't have to re-craft everything when you die. All that ore, tools, weapons gone in the blink of an eye.

I don't know if I have it in me to replay the game :(

Cmagus

Cant find a thread for the PS3 version so I will ask here as it probably applies anyways.

How does the online work? can I invite my friends to my Survival session at any time?
Yes you can invite anyone to your game. Open the in game menu and invite your friend and they should drop right in.keep in mind if you invite people changes they make stay when they leave so make sure you know that invade anyone else comes you don't know.

Any playstation owners on the fence may want to purchase this sooner rather than later.

Microsoft will want to recoup its investment, which means selling more copies. Killing one of the markets of a product you just bought for 2.5bil is not how you go about making money. Anything exclusive will be whatever comes next, not what there is now, so for instance its possibly they may only update the Xbone version for instance.

Let's not bring silly unfounded conspiracy theories/panic in here, thanks.

HeeHo

Microsoft will want to recoup its investment, which means selling more copies. Killing one of the markets of a product you just bought for 2.5bil is not how you go about making money. Anything exclusive will be whatever comes next, not what there is now, so for instance its possibly they may only update the Xbone version for instance.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. As a PS4 only owner, I will sincerely feel like I wasted my money if this turns out to be true. In a way, you're causing me to panic, ha.

Card Boy

Banned
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. As a PS4 only owner, I will sincerely feel like I wasted my money if this turns out to be true. In a way, you're causing me to panic, ha.

i have already accepted the fact i have wasted money. MS won't update shit, trust me. The only good thing about the Mojang buyout is Scrolls might get some love now.

Darkgran

Slipped into lava and died after trekking deep underground(5min+), lost everything. Never raged so hard in my life. Felt like Dark souls but 100x worse as in that game you don't have to re-craft everything when you die. All that ore, tools, weapons gone in the blink of an eye.

I don't know if I have it in me to replay the game :(

Why aren't you using chests?

NickFire

Yeah no. You may be right, but a little concern on this issue is hardly the stuff of silly conspiracy theories. In fact, based on your theory we should be playing gears, forza, and halo on ps4 any day now. Why limit the market of your cash cows, right?

Yeah no. You may be right, but a little concern on this issue is hardly the stuff of silly conspiracy theories. In fact, based on your theory we should be playing gears, forza, and halo on ps4 any day now. Why limit the market of your cash cows, right?

There is a huge difference between not yanking a product that already exists off the market purely to give your consumes a big F you, and developing a product for a competitor's console. If we were talking about the potential for a Minecraft 2 then I'd agree: it probably won't come to Sony consoles. But there's no reason at all to kill a product they have to invest $0 in (well, beyond the whole 2.5bil to acquire the IP) and that will only make more money for them.

But that's why they may not continue to support the Sony versions: as they would have to invest money into that. Plus, not continuing to support it would be a point to position the Xbone version above the PS4: that it has newer better stuff! But yanking the PS4 version off the market entirely? No going to happen.

NickFire

There is a huge difference between not yanking a product that already exists off the market purely to give your consumes a big F you, and developing a product for a competitor's console. If we were talking about the potential for a Minecraft 2 then I'd agree: it probably won't come to Sony consoles. But there's no reason at all to kill a product they have to invest $0 in (well, beyond the whole 2.5bil to acquire the IP) and that will only make more money for them.

But that's why they may not continue to support the Sony versions: as they would have to invest money into that. Plus, not continuing to support it would be a point to position the Xbone version above the PS4: that it has newer better stuff! But yanking the PS4 version off the market entirely? No going to happen.

The people who haven't bought it are not your consumers technically, but the people who did that you think may not get updates are. So when you say they won't give their consumers a big f u you also say they actually might.

Semantics aside, you may be right. But calling the possibility that someone trying to win market share may want to say one of the biggest games of all time is an exclusive now, a silly conspiracy theory, is ridiculous and pompous. This will all come down to what they think benefits them more short and long term, and can easily go both ways.

GulAtiCa

The more I look up stuff in this game, the more I realize how behind in content it is. No hoppers, Redstone blocks, t-flip flop.. etc. So many interesting things I could do with Redstones that I'm unable to do currently. And possibly now won't get support. :(

On more happy note. Started making a lava moat in front of my house!

Mastperf

The option to not support the Playstation versions may not be up to Microsoft. If there are already contracts in place, MS may be required to have 4j continue regular updates until it expires. Minecraft 2 is another story of course.

Theecliff

Banned
Support better not be dropped for the PS4 version because of this deal. It literally just came out.

Wonder what's happening with the Vita version now? Was there a release date?

Ferr986

Holy fuck, I found an abandoned mine and got lost down there and trapped for more than an hour. And I still didnt explore it all.

Seanspeed

Banned
i have already accepted the fact i have wasted money. MS won't update shit, trust me.
There could well already be a contract in place for 4J to continue on updates for the PS3/PS4 for a set time period.

Even if there isn't, it doesn't automatically mean they'll stop supporting the PS platforms, so long as sales keep up. There is more to Microsoft's thinking behind this than just boosting the XB1's appeal.

The option to not support the Playstation versions may not be up to Microsoft. If there are already contracts in place, MS may be required to have 4j continue regular updates until it expires. Minecraft 2 is another story of course.

The thing is though that most contracts have out clauses which are gone over tooth and nail by lawyers paid to think of every solution possible. So its not inconceivable they have a clause for "if we go out of business or get bought out"

Noobcraft

Support better not be dropped for the PS4 version because of this deal. It literally just came out.

I don't think Microsoft would gain anything by canceling updates for the ps4 version or psvita versions of Minecraft. I would expect the definitive version of Minecraft mobile to be on Windows Phone, but that's about it. I think that the Xbox version of Minecraft will continue to receive more support (just like last gen) in terms of skin packs and possible server support in the future, but that's about all I'd expect to be different between the Xbox and PS versions of Minecraft.

It will be interesting to see if Sony will let Microsoft license characters for use in skin pack DLC for Minecraft PS4 going forward though.

Microsoft loses out on more money if they do that since PS4 is selling better than their own console.

GulAtiCa

My lava moat is going nicely. Even got a redstone drawbridge that goes up/down with lever. Though middle part when down isn't filled with lava with how lava flows...

Only issue so far, is that I am knocked into the lava moat more times then enemies so far... lol

Ferr986

Im having a weird bug where my pets teleport to me randomly when I go to the deeper areas. Yep, they are in sit mode but they still appear out of nowhere (and still in sit mode).
I already lost a dog because of this and right now one of my cats its deep inside surrounded by lava.

_Ryo_

Minecraft: PS4 Edition: Update 1 Change-log.

1. Added Microsoft logo to start screen.

Minecraft: PS4 Edition: Update 1.5 Change-log.

1. Removed any mention of PS4. All non Windows/Xbox versions are now referred to as Standard Edition.

'dem updates.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Minecraft: PS4 Edition: Update 1 Change-log.

1. Added Microsoft logo to start screen.

Minecraft: PS4 Edition: Update 1.5 Change-log.

1. Removed any mention of PS4. All non Windows/Xbox versions are now referred to as Standard Edition.

'dem updates.

Oh great.

FranXico

It would be weird to open Minecraft on the PS4 and seeing a Microsoft Studios logo if they do add that to the PS4 version.

Stranger things have happened.

Wipeout64_packshot.jpg

GulAtiCa

I've been busy!

Partly completed my Forest sky-rail t-junction. Left for Mountains and right for Swamp. Lever you see in photo determines where you go. Same is set up for the mountain part. Swamp path on way back always currently goes to Forest stop. Not sure if I'll set that one up, as would be like 300m+. But I do have like 1500+ redstones, heh.

Started work on the lava moat for my home. Plan to turn it into some kind of castle. Drawbridge will actually lower into the lava when switched off. Found nice design for it online.

I actually changed up my lava moat to be 3 wide instead of 2 and only 2 deep instead of 3. This allows the flow to be even and nice, as you see now. I have a lava source under each of those slabs.

The lava moat is far from complete. One side is maybe 2/3rd done, but then got the other sides to do!

Hollycat

So my playtime on this per day dove off a cliff last week once I got full diamond and went to the nether. I know I still have the End to go to, but I just can't make myself do it. My floating city sits in the sky untouched and unfinished.

I feel like Terraria ruined minecraft for me somehow, despite them being totally different.

Ferr986

I've been busy!

Partly completed my Forest sky-rail t-junction. Left for Mountains and right for Swamp. Lever you see in photo determines where you go. Same is set up for the mountain part. Swamp path on way back always currently goes to Forest stop. Not sure if I'll set that one up, as would be like 300m+. But I do have like 1500+ redstones, heh.

Started work on the lava moat for my home. Plan to turn it into some kind of castle. Drawbridge will actually lower into the lava when switched off. Found nice design for it online.

I actually changed up my lava moat to be 3 wide instead of 2 and only 2 deep instead of 3. This allows the flow to be even and nice, as you see now. I have a lava source under each of those slabs.

The lava moat is far from complete. One side is maybe 2/3rd done, but then got the other sides to do!

Damn, awesome work dude.

Btw, since yesterday seems like mobs has gotten a liking of spawning inside my house. Mind you, they never do it while Im sleeping, only while Im outside. Its weird because its certainly well lit.

GulAtiCa

I keep switching back and forth between projects. Like if you look at my house in above example, top parts are still dirt heh. Slowly upgrading to stone bricks. Lava moat will take a long while. I've been doing a LOT of rails that connect everywhere. In that mountain part, found myself a nice cave and got some emeralds. Still haven't found a village yet.

On my ps3 save I got rail systems all over map connecting houses. Game is beyond addicting. I never went down into the nether just build, build, build.

Not sure if Im gonna transfer my save. Since I turn on villagers

I noticed on ps4 you can avoid the penalty for dying if you back out onto the XMB and close the game theere without pressing "respawn" dunno what "exit game" does, whether you spawn after death or not.

Hollycat

I noticed on ps4 you can avoid the penalty for dying if you back out onto the XMB and close the game theere without pressing "respawn" dunno what "exit game" does, whether you spawn after death or not.

Isn't that kinda like save scumming?
Not like theres a law against that or anything, just seems kinda weak.

Nuklear

Banned

If you're afraid of dying why not just play on creative then? I mean seriously.

Mastperf

As long as you have autosave turned off. It autosaves very frequently and I've had it do so while I was swimming in lava. It also autosaves upon exit if you don't have it turned off. Turning it off gives you the option of exiting without saving.

GulAtiCa

Won't give me access to daylight sensor? Fine! I'll build my own. With blackjack and hookers.

But seriously, I built my own. Using the BUD method. Tutorial & Video here (Video is very helpful). . (It's that water source you see in pic)

Love my new night power system. Already set up 4 little lamp posts using redstone lamps. As you can guess. I set up a nether portal. Boy was I not ready! lol. But eventually got what I needed. Even went back and made the nether entrance safe with that special stone. I can make 20 more redstone lamps before I need more. I'll likely set up a little control room up top (2nd floor as seen in this pic or the previous one) to make it an OR gate so I can manually turn it on even during day time.

To think, that 10x13x4 mechanical redstone monster that is just below the surface there could have easily been done with 1 simple redstone daylight sensor...

jediyoshi

Huh, based on what theory? Was Minecraft a platform exclusive or first party game?

Isn't that kinda like save scumming?
Not like theres a law against that or anything, just seems kinda weak.

I had to google that as I've never heard of that before. I just tried it to see what would happen (got cheap shot by a zombie (and a zombie that should never have been there too) from behind who knocked me into lava) as I never tried what "exit game" does when you decide to start up the save again (last time i died I was in the tutorial and I just abandoned that game shortly thereafter.)

As long as you have autosave turned off. It autosaves very frequently and I've had it do so while I was swimming in lava. It also autosaves upon exit if you don't have it turned off. Turning it off gives you the option of exiting without saving.

ahh I had autosave on, didnt know that turning it off allowed manual saving, so thanks for that, I much prefer that method of saving. If it wasnt obvious i'm new to minecraft so I was just testing things out, no need for people to jump on me (not you mastperf)

Top Bottom