• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Henke

I think I'm burning out on this game a bit. I've played it A LOT since it came out but I'll probably need to leave it for a few weeks and play some other things before I come back to this to work on my world again.

Marvie_3

Banned
I do this, and I still died from surprise lava last night. granted, I only had two hearts for health. I panicked as the lava encroached on me while I was mining in a narrow trench. I had gold, iron, diamond tools, armor on my person. As soon as I died I hit the guide button, on the controller, and hit Y to exit to the dashboard. Reloaded my game, and not a single fuck was given.

Yeah, it's a bitch move, but I had way too much cool shit on me to lose it like that.

I always place chests as I go down through a mine. Then every so often I just throw all my loot in there and don't have to worry about losing it in case of a lava attack.

Blizzard

Banned
I think I'm burning out on this game a bit. I've played it A LOT since it came out but I'll probably need to leave it for a few weeks and play some other things before I come back to this to work on my world again.
Take a break, come back after the next patch if you want, it's probably the best approach to avoid burnout. :)

Great to see it Yeti, it wouldn't feel right if there was no Xbox version of Dome City ;)

I remember trying to explore Dome City on the PC. I got like 2 fps throughout the entire thing haha. It's not much worse than the usual 10 fps I get just playing the game on the PC.

But Dome City is a thing of beauty. I don't think I would have the patience to make those huge domes.

Linius

Just got back from one Minecraft night of spider hunting with eleven strings as result. Finally got a bow, fishing rod and dispenser. The only thing with these spiders is that they always sneak up on you from behind. I only realise they are there when they're already hitting me :(

Well SSSS is the sound that creepers make just before they blow up and there are also cactuses in the game (I guess that's the one name you can incorporate the sss sound into). I also believe the title may be a small reference to griefing as well.

I got sick of all the Creepers, so I reverted to Peaceful while I'm building my lighthouse. It's getting kinda boring without mobs, so I'll revert it back as soon as I'm done.

However, once the Endermen are introduced I may just stay on Peaceful forever.
KuGsj.gif

Linius

I got sick of all the Creepers, so I reverted to Peaceful while I'm building my lighthouse. It's getting kinda boring without mobs, so I'll revert it back as soon as I'm done.

KuGsj.gif
Maybe they've added creative mode by then. Would be nice...

ckohler

KuGsj.gif

I totally understand. I've switched to playing on Peaceful unless I have friend's visit my world. Honestly, I've never cared that much for the survival aspect. Some people crave it to keep the game interesting but I find it just to be annoying when I'm just wanting to build.

However, I don't like "creative" mode because I think there is challenge and greater reward for having to mine all your resources manually. So, I'm actually hoping they keep peaceful mode (no monsters AND no free resources).

I totally understand. I've switched to playing on Peaceful unless I have friend's visit my world. Honestly, I've never cared that much for the survival aspect. Some people crave it to keep the game interesting but I find it just to be annoying when I'm just wanting to build.

However, I don't like "creative" mode because I think there is challenge and greater reward for having to mine all your resources manually. So, I'm actually hoping they keep peaceful mode (no monsters AND no free resources).

Yeah, I really like working for my resources. It feels so rewarding once a project is done that way. However, when I just wanna explore, I like the survival aspect. Having to create a makeshift shack just to protect yourself from mobs at night is awesome and scary at the same time.

Vlad

For what it's worth, the PC version still has all that, so it doesn't look to be changed any time soon. When you first start a world, you set it up to be either Survival, Creative (free resources) or Hardcore (the world is deleted automatically when you die). Once you're in-game, you can then change the difficulty level. What's even better is that currently, there's at least one big difference in the Hard difficulty level: Zombies
will break down wooden doors to get to you

Solo Act

How do zombies and spiders keep getting into my house at night? I built a basic dirt square house to get started. All I had in there is a bed, crafting table and a front door. When I slept the first night, I was awaken by 3 or 4 monsters in my house.

Next day, I add on some more to the house, only this time I didn't have a door, I just walled myself in a (100% stone) house thinking my wooden door was the weak link.

Nope, attacked again and killed. Then the game respawns me in a random spot on the map because "your bed is blocked or unavailable". If it's blocked, how did the monsters get in? I looked, and they're not digging through the walls or anything.

For the first few hours I was loving this game because it had a kind of simple logic to it that I loved. Monsters walking through walls when you sleep defies that perceived logic though and it's frustrating.

How do zombies and spiders keep getting into my house at night? I built a basic dirt square house to get started. All I had in there is a bed, crafting table and a front door. When I slept the first night, I was awaken by 3 or 4 monsters in my house.

Next day, I add on some more to the house, only this time I didn't have a door, I just walled myself in a (100% stone) house thinking my wooden door was the weak link.

Nope, attacked again and killed. Then the game respawns me in a random spot on the map because "your bed is blocked or unavailable". If it's blocked, how did the monsters get in? I looked, and they're not digging through the walls or anything.

For the first few hours I was loving this game because it had a kind of simple logic to it that I loved. Monsters walking through walls when you sleep defies that perceived logic though and it's frustrating.

move it away from the walls. It's a bug.

Spankface

Neo Member

Do you have torches lit all through the house? If not, they can spawn in the dark spots.

snap0212

I just got this game (have never played it before) and I have a noob question. I'm doing the Tutorial right now and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I built a work bench and stuff, collected some things and am now in some kind of small village. Do I just start building stuff now or is there more to this tutorial? My Save is called "Tutorial" which makes me think that I have yet to finish it.

Thanks in advance. :)

Solo Act

Do you have torches lit all through the house? If not, they can spawn in the dark spots.

No, I don't have any torches yet. I didn't realize they spawned like that. I figured they spawned in or around caves and other places like that and just treked out from there. I don't know what I thought actually, but I didn't think they'd spawn inside my house.

I'll work on making some torches tonight when I play. My house isn't enormous or anything, probably about 15x15 with pretty high walls and a roof, but probably big enough to be a spawn point I suppose.

Thanks for the help.

tw1164

I never played minecraft before, and was never really interested in it. I played the demo today, $20 and 5 hours later my wife is yelling at me about the kids need a bath. I hate the creepers.

Hey I just bought this the other day and probably only put in 3 or 4 hours, is it common to find gold, obsidian and that red stuff in that time. I don't even know how to mine that shit lol

Started building an awesome house, and begun digging a mine from the basement. not long into it I found a seriously huge chasm, which had a load of off shooting corridors, cobwebs and wooden blocks.

Avinexus

No, I don't have any torches yet. I didn't realize they spawned like that. I figured they spawned in or around caves and other places like that and just treked out from there. I don't know what I thought actually, but I didn't think they'd spawn inside my house.

They do, because it is dark in caves :p

Linius

Damn, awesome! But I miss the stairs? :p

And how did you do the lava streams like that, looks so nice.

I'm ready to go and build something myself now, finally got loads of resources and figured out most things of this game.

FerranMG

Guys, a few noob questions:

- How does the world "regenerate"? I mean, if I dig plenty of sand, for example, turn it into glass, and then break the glass, will I eventually run out of sand?

- I found a mine the other day, but after a few game-days of not going there, it suddenly was flooded by water. What gives?

- I still haven't built a bucket. When I have one, how do I get lava? Can I just go to a stream of lava and hit LT with the bucket equipped?

- What are good ways to recover health? Right now, I only know of pork chops, but they don't stack in the inventory, so it kinda sucks.

- I'm pretty sick of creepers blowing up my house, lol. Any good advise against them? I already have torches around, but they still sometimes get close to the walls. Plus, in the morning when I go out, they can still be too close.

- Oh, and how do levers, and pressure plates, switches, etc. work? I haven't either built one yet, but mainly because I can't figure out what can I use them for.

Loving it so far. :)

Guys, a few noob questions:

- How does the world "regenerate"? I mean, if I dig plenty of sand, for example, turn it into glass, and then break the glass, will I eventually run out of sand?

In theory, yes. But in all likelihood you'll never have the time or need to mine every single instance of a specific block. I mined over 200 blocks of sand a couple of days ago and I hadn't even scratched the surface of a nearby beach. And then there are deserts...

- I found a mine the other day, but after a few game-days of not going there, it suddenly was flooded by water. What gives?

Flowing liquid I find to be the most unpredictable part of the game. Once it has settled into a path/pool though, it pretty much sticks to it so I'm not sure what exactly could have flooded the cave. Perhaps something set a creeper off and it diverted the path of running water.

- I still haven't built a bucket. When I have one, how do I get lava? Can I just go to a stream of lava and hit LT with the bucket equipped?

It can't be flowing lava/water. It has to be a source block, either the exact block the flowing originates from or a pool that is full of still, non-flowing blocks. You can build an eternal spring that will always produce water source blocks quite easily but I haven't found a way to do the same with lava (fortunately I have a giant lava lake nearby).

- What are good ways to recover health? Right now, I only know of pork chops, but they don't stack in the inventory, so it kinda sucks.

There are other foods to make which you can see in your crafting table. Personally when I get to really low health I just commit suicide off the roof of my house :p Spawn inside with full health, walk out the door and pick up all of my items.

- I'm pretty sick of creepers blowing up my house, lol. Any good advise against them? I already have torches around, but they still sometimes get close to the walls. Plus, in the morning when I go out, they can still be too close.

They spawn in the dark so if only your house is lit up, they might be spawning very close by. I have built a whole area around my house which is lit up and I've only seen a creeper in my "village" about 3 times when they've wandered in from pretty far (and two of those times they were only still around because they were trapped in my river).

But when I was nervous about them early on, I just made sure that when I awoke and opened my front door, I ran forward so that if anything is hiding and it chases me, it'll be away from my house.

- Oh, and how do levers, and pressure plates, switches, etc. work? I haven't either built one yet, but mainly because I can't figure out what can I use them for.

They'll power the block you place them on, which will in turn power any surrounding block. So if you put a pressure plate in front of a door, it'll open the door. Same with a switch. If you want it to power something further than one block away, you need to connect them using a redstone circuit. I suggest you look up a youtube video concerning those.

If you want to hide your circuit underground (place circuits by placing redstone down as dust), it's best to have them underground. I've made a drawbridge recently using stuff from these tutorials: a simple redstone drawbridge, a slightly more complex one with the circuit hidden. They'll likely help you with understanding the basics of how they work. I also have a badass doorbell :p

clockpunk

I have just been informed of Mycellium ground - which encouraged mushroom growth, and all I know is it is now desired. Highly.

Also, a pet Slime. ;)

Just discovered the Nether last night, and my word - just when I thought I had seen everything (raw material/critter-wise)... naieve old me. Just gets better and better!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
You can build an eternal spring that will always produce water source blocks quite easily but I haven't found a way to do the same with lava (fortunately I have a giant lava lake nearby).

Lava is finite, there's no way to make an eternal spring of it. Fortunately you can get a metric shitload of it from the Nether if you really want it.

Hambone

Found the most amazing cave evah in Minecraft. Was roaming around hoeing up seeds for my wheat farm when I noticed a almost perfectly squared sink hole going down 20 layers, and leading to a cave. What's a brotha to do, but grab the spelunking gear, and go exploring.

This cave never seemed to end. It went up-ways, and down-ways, and side-ways, and diagonal-ways, and seemed to turn back on itself going lower, and lower. Even found 3 different mob spawners with chests of phat lewts, and a nice haul of moss blocks. 2 hours later I walked out with:

- moss blocks
- 5 saddles
- 76 brown mushrooms
- 150+ iron ore
- 16+ gold ore
- 6 diamonds
- 300+ coal
- 12+ red mushrooms
- Music disc (never found one of these in the pc version)
- plenty of gunpowder and other assorted mob drops

I got so lost in the cave that eventually I reached an end, and realized I might just have to dig my way out. I was worried about finding my way back to my camp, because surely I traveled huge distances in this ginormous cave system I found.

Decided to dig up, and see where I was at. A few blocks later I was back on the surface, so I spun around to get my bearings, and realized I was only about 100 blocks from the original entrance to the sink hole I started in.

MINECRAFT

Vlad

Flowing liquid I find to be the most unpredictable part of the game. Once it has settled into a path/pool though, it pretty much sticks to it so I'm not sure what exactly could have flooded the cave. Perhaps something set a creeper off and it diverted the path of running water.

Flowing liquid is actually VERY predictable, it just doesn't behave very intuitively. Basically, there are source blocks and flowing blocks. When you place a source block, it will create flowing liquid blocks in the direction of the nearest dropoff. If the fluid doesn't reach a dropoff in a certain number of blocks (Eight for water, 3 (I think) for lava), then it'll just stop. If the fluid does get to a point where it can fall down a level, then it'll do so and start the counter over again once it hits a flat surface again.

To illustrate, I made a 5x5x1 dirt platform on a relatively flat surface in my world.

Here, I've put a water source block one block to the right of the middle. Since the nearest edge is on the right, the water is only going that direction. Once it hits flat ground, though, it starts spreading out more evenly, since there aren't any drops nearby.
J1Xqu.png

Now I've moved it a block closer to my position. Now, since both the edge on the right and the edge closest to me are equally close to the source block, the water is flowing in both those directions.
N5Ii0.png

Putting the source right in the middle of the 5x5 platform will make the water flow in all four directions, since all the edges are two blocks away from the source.
2XyUb.png

Those are all taken from the PC version, but from what I've seen in videos, the fluid mechanics are the same in the Xbox version, so the same should apply.

I have just been informed of Mycellium ground - which encouraged mushroom growth, and all I know is it is now desired. Highly.
You'll have to wait until the 1.8+ patches, because it doesn't exist yet at the point this port came from.

It's also kind of hard to find, even when it does exist... I mean, they're dotted all over the oceans, but it's amazing how easy it is to miss them.

Fox Mulder

Thought I would post some pics of the underwater glass house my girl and I made:

Still working on getting it furnished, but this part took FOREVER!

my hemisphere dome thing deep in the ocean is taking forever too. I had to build up a giant square island of dirt from the sea floor just to excavate back down into to get rid of the water.

mine is too. I'm building a hemisphere dome thing deep in the ocean, and it took forever to build up a square island of dirt from the sea floor to then excavate back down into to clear out the water.

I took the opposite way and just dug all the way down, built the house and then flooded the area. Took a ridiculous amount of time.

Damn, awesome! But I miss the stairs? :p

And how did you do the lava streams like that, looks so nice.

I'm ready to go and build something myself now, finally got loads of resources and figured out most things of this game.

The stairs are coming soon. This tower is still a work in progress. I think I know what to do for the top now, so it should be finished soon.

As for the lava streams... It took a lot of patience and time. I really can't explain how I did it haha. By the way, all of that lava is from 1 source block located at the very top.

clockpunk

You'll have to wait until the 1.8+ patches, because it doesn't exist yet at the point this port came from.

It's also kind of hard to find, even when it does exist... I mean, they're dotted all over the oceans, but it's amazing how easy it is to miss them.

Something to look forward to - cheers for that info!

I made an underwater glass bedroom but it was only 2 blocks high. When I wake up, I'm forced outside of the glass into the water. At first it annoyed me, now I've come to like it. It's actually quicker than climbing the ladder to get out.

Flowing liquid is actually VERY predictable, it just doesn't behave very intuitively. Basically, there are source blocks and flowing blocks. When you place a source block, it will create flowing liquid blocks in the direction of the nearest dropoff. If the fluid doesn't reach a dropoff in a certain number of blocks (Eight for water, 3 (I think) for lava), then it'll just stop. If the fluid does get to a point where it can fall down a level, then it'll do so and start the counter over again once it hits a flat surface again.

Interesting. I knew it headed for the nearest drop, that much I can predict. But it just never acts like I want it to in terms of how it sprawls. Hopefully with this specific info in mind I can work with it better. Fortunately most of my work involving water has been to redirect/extend rivers which isn't difficult and doesn't require precision or perfection.

Marvie_3

Banned
Anyone have any recommendations for music to listen to while playing this? I like the in-game music but it's getting really old.

Anyone have any recommendations for music to listen to while playing this? I like the in-game music but it's getting really old.
Funnily enough, I swear the in-game music plays more frequently in 360 MC than in PC MC. Like, in the PC version, you get a song every 10-20 minutes, practically. It's very infrequent.

Anyway, I tend to listen to lengthy YouTube videos while playing the game. Favorites of mine include the Nostalgia Critic's review of The Room, or Retsupurae's recent King's Quest V long play.

I know it is not for everyone, but I love listening to Trip-Hop (Portishead and Massive Attack mainly). It tends to fit well with the whole chill theme of minding and building.

Top Bottom