• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

ckohler

Does not look like much right now, but here is my work in progress. A pyramid suspended in the air.

538211_354827914580982_100001613296269_923141_1682905010_n.jpg
Keep in mind that once you finish that pyramid, it will cast a huge shadow underneath it. If you don't light up the ground, hostile mobs will spawn there during the day.

Hell Yeah, I found diamonds today so now I'm gonna try and make one of them portal things. Does anyone know if you can find out your play time, I feel like its only been 4 or 5 hours, but could be more.

Vlad

Hell Yeah, I found diamonds today so now I'm gonna try and make one of them portal things.

FYI, you don't need diamonds to make a portal. You ever notice how when water touches a lava source block it turns it to obsidian? What you do is make a mold out of dirt or something out of the bottom level of the portal, fill the mold with lava source blocks, then dump water on top of the lava, changing the source blocks to obsidian. Repeat this with each layer of the portal going up then just clean off the blocks you used for the mold.

Salaadin

FYI, you don't need diamonds to make a portal. You ever notice how when water touches a lava source block it turns it to obsidian? What you do is make a mold out of dirt or something out of the bottom level of the portal, fill the mold with lava source blocks, then dump water on top of the lava, changing the source blocks to obsidian. Repeat this with each layer of the portal going up then just clean off the blocks you used for the mold.

He will need the diamonds to make the pickaxe to mine the obsidian

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
He will need the diamonds to make the pickaxe to mine the obsidian

You don't have to mine obsidian to make a portal.

You can make cast out of other types of blocks and use a bucket to make obsidian blocks in the cast. (pouring water into the space then lava)

Seen it done in quite a few minecraft ultrahardcore FFA videos.

Its pretty ingenious actually.

Salaadin

You don't have to mine obsidian to make a portal.

You can make cast out of other types of blocks and use a bucket to make obsidian blocks in the cast. (pouring water into the space then lava)

Seen it done in quite a few minecraft ultrahardcore FFA videos.

Its pretty ingenious actually.

So nether portals actually work laid out on the floor?
That gives me a nice idea for a trap door.

Hambone

So nether portals actually work laid out on the floor?
That gives me a nice idea for a trap door.

I was thinking the same thing. Create a laid out portal in a pit right under the spawn, so when your friends join your game, they get transported to the nether, and have to find their way back. Just put some obsidian on the bottom, and lay a couple of portals on top of each other, so they can't punch, or jump their way out.

Yeah, portals to The End are horizontal, but portals to The Nether are vertical. Also, you can't make portals to The End; they're made for you, and you merely activate them. Also, they're not until like 1.9 or 1.0 or so.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Played the shit out of Minecraft on PC, and wasn't sure if I wanted to double dip since (I thought) it ran fine on PC.

Well let's just say I'm glad I decided to go for it. My god, I hadn't realized how horrible my PC ran this until I played my first hour on the 360. Gameplay is soooo fluid, and I stress tested the game by setting the entire tutorial village on fire without a single framerate drop. Soooooo good. And it's a hell of a lot easier to play with friends not having to worry about server and what-not.

Add my GT to the list if anyone wants to play sometime. Ryaaan14.

Can't wait for the updates :_D

Craft a bucket. Make your area for the pond one block deep. Make an infinite water spring. Then use the bucket with the sping to fill in your pond. Once it's filled with water source blocks (non-running) you can safely dig out the blocks beneath if you want it deeper.

Yeah, this was how I made the underwater house. It works really well if you want to fill a large (and deep) area.

I played the PC version for quite a bit months ago and recently got the XBLA version. I've been playing for about a week now and the only thing I cant stand is losing connection to the damn server constantly. How am I losing connection to a server if I'm not playing in an online world? I can usually tell when the connection is gonna die because blocks will reappear or the light sources wont work when I put new torches up.

ironcreed

Banned
Keep in mind that once you finish that pyramid, it will cast a huge shadow underneath it. If you don't light up the ground, hostile mobs will spawn there during the day.

I am in peaceful mode, but it indeed casts a huge shadow. I plan to work on the inside and add some torches, finish the floor and make a waterfall coming out of a doorway. Looks like an anthill next to yours, but it is coming along alright for my first real creation.

537500_356018877795219_100001613296269_925464_1253717706_n.jpg

Greyvvolf

If you kill a creeper with the bow it unlocks a green creeper hat for your avatar, which looks exactly like this. Just found that out a couple of hours ago.

What could cause a fire in my house? I came home one day and the corner of the room was on fire and it had burnt 3 blocks of red carpeting. I was playing on peaceful at the time.

TheMixta43

Neo Member
What's the easiest way to clear a hole of water? I made walls going down the sides of my island in the ocean and it was still full of water.

Are buckets useful at all, or will I need to fill in every block and then clear it out again?

So I have a question, when we get the updates how are they gonna work for the worlds we have currently? Like when they fix the clay issue or add the mushroom blocks or the melons and all the structures like the abandon mine shaft and npc villages. Are those gonna be placed in our world randomly?(How would that be possible?) Or would we have to start new worlds?(I hope not, I love my world :() How did this all work in the pc version?

Edit: Okay, it was more then one question I suppose

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What's the easiest way to clear a hole of water? I made walls going down the sides of my island in the ocean and it was still full of water.

Are buckets useful at all, or will I need to fill in every block and then clear it out again?

How deep/big is it? You can just place blocks to fill it, then remove the blocks and the water will be gone.

Try using sand to fill it in. It has gravity so you can place blocks at the surface of the water an d they will fall down automatically. No breath holding needed!

FerranMG

In theory, yes. But in all likelihood you'll never have the time or need to mine every single instance of a specific block. I mined over 200 blocks of sand a couple of days ago and I hadn't even scratched the surface of a nearby beach. And then there are deserts...

Flowing liquid I find to be the most unpredictable part of the game. Once it has settled into a path/pool though, it pretty much sticks to it so I'm not sure what exactly could have flooded the cave. Perhaps something set a creeper off and it diverted the path of running water.

It can't be flowing lava/water. It has to be a source block, either the exact block the flowing originates from or a pool that is full of still, non-flowing blocks. You can build an eternal spring that will always produce water source blocks quite easily but I haven't found a way to do the same with lava (fortunately I have a giant lava lake nearby).

- What are good ways to recover health? Right now, I only know of pork chops, but they don't stack in the inventory, so it kinda sucks.

There are other foods to make which you can see in your crafting table. Personally when I get to really low health I just commit suicide off the roof of my house :p Spawn inside with full health, walk out the door and pick up all of my items.

They spawn in the dark so if only your house is lit up, they might be spawning very close by. I have built a whole area around my house which is lit up and I've only seen a creeper in my "village" about 3 times when they've wandered in from pretty far (and two of those times they were only still around because they were trapped in my river).

But when I was nervous about them early on, I just made sure that when I awoke and opened my front door, I ran forward so that if anything is hiding and it chases me, it'll be away from my house.

They'll power the block you place them on, which will in turn power any surrounding block. So if you put a pressure plate in front of a door, it'll open the door. Same with a switch. If you want it to power something further than one block away, you need to connect them using a redstone circuit. I suggest you look up a youtube video concerning those.

If you want to hide your circuit underground (place circuits by placing redstone down as dust), it's best to have them underground. I've made a drawbridge recently using stuff from these tutorials: a simple redstone drawbridge, a slightly more complex one with the circuit hidden. They'll likely help you with understanding the basics of how they work. I also have a badass doorbell :p

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Another one: I built a pretty tall building with glass walls, and planned on making lava flow inside them. I wanted to put the lava bucket at the top of it, and watch it go all the way to the bottom, and around the walls. Thing is, the lava stopped moving after a few blocks.
I suppose lava will not flow forever, right?

You will have to fill the area with blocks to get the water out. A fast way to do it is fill it with wood then just set it on fire with flint and steel. Be mindful of the surroundings though so you don't burn down your house or anything else.

Yesterday I visited the nether for the first time. It was awesome and eerie. Now I want to replace all of the torches on top of my small castle with burning netherrack.

clockpunk

So I have a question, when we get the updates how are they gonna work for the worlds we have currently? Like when they fix the clay issue or add the mushroom blocks or the melons and all the structures like the abandon mine shaft and npc villages. Are those gonna be placed in our world randomly?(How would that be possible?) Or would we have to start new worlds?(I hope not, I love my world :() How did this all work in the pc version?

Edit: Okay, it was more then one question I suppose

I believe I saw a twitter quote-link on the official forums, where a dev said that integration of new aspects would require a brand new world to be created. Older worlds without the additions, however, would still be accessible and playable.

Even more reason would like a 3D blueprint feature so as to be able to recreate entirely a few of my creations in future iterations...

Linius

401579_3207463111643_1418143975_32299853_2103221199_n.jpg

401724_3207466271722_1418143975_32299855_349676931_n.jpg

554846_3207474751934_1418143975_32299869_2134094194_n.jpg

I was about to build a castle but during the process I found out that it's a bit more complicated then I tought so I changed plans. Instead I made a defense wall out of it like villages in the middel ages had them. So now I'm going to build some buildings between the walls on a smaller scale.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm burnt out on this game.

We need some updates.

I want hunger mechanics and experience etc.

nevermind im booting it back up.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
The hole is a 35x35 square so it is pretty time consuming filling it up, trying to see and coming up for air, but it will have to do I guess :p

Sand or gravel is useful for that, because it's affected by gravity. So you can just drop it on the edge and let it fall and fill the hole, rather than go all the way down.

MrDaravon

I believe I saw a twitter quote-link on the official forums, where a dev said that integration of new aspects would require a brand new world to be created. Older worlds without the additions, however, would still be accessible and playable.

Not unexpected, but this brings me to pretty much a dead halt. I don't want to keep building in my world if I'm going to have to wind up starting over, but at the same time updates will likely be at least a few months apart so waiting until they've all hit is ridiculous. This may have just convinced me to buy a second copy of the PC version (wife is on the firs copy most of the time) which is really inconvenient for my setup though. Hmmm.

TheMixta43

Neo Member
You will have to fill the area with blocks to get the water out. A fast way to do it is fill it with wood then just set it on fire with flint and steel. Be mindful of the surroundings though so you don't burn down your house or anything else.

Such a good idea, just finished filling the hole with an assortment of gravel, sand and dirt though so I'll have to remember that for next time.

Cheers for the tips on filling the hole guys!

Coldsnap

Man, I love this game. I played it super hardcore for like 4 days but now it's such a good game to boot up for 15mins, re arrange some blocks and log off feeling acomplished

Vlad

Clockpunk already sort of covered it, but to answer your question on how it worked in the PC version...

Old maps were still playable, and the new stuff (materials, structures, etc) wouldn't randomly appear in existing areas, but once you explored further than you had before, the new stuff would start appearing in those areas. It made for some interesting sights a few times when they made large changes to how the world generated. For example, an old version world could generate as plains in a certain spot, but the new version would be mountains in that spot, so if you happened to explore new areas around that area, you'd get these mountains that ended in this perfectly vertical slice.

bengraven

What could cause a fire in my house? I came home one day and the corner of the room was on fire and it had burnt 3 blocks of red carpeting. I was playing on peaceful at the time.

If you have a fire (netherrack, lava) anywhere within like 3 or 4 blocks of something flammable (wool, wood, paintings, etc) than a spark can jump out and start it on fire. Sometimes it will leap out of the most ridiculous places.

Coldsnap

What's the chances of finding a saddle in my world? I havn't found one treasure chest and I've got a pretty big area dug out. I don't want to enter a seed code to cheat for the achievement though.

Top Bottom