• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Fox Mulder

How do you fill up a space with water?

I built my dome under the sea, but I cant get the water to flood back over it. I had to make a huge square in the sea, fill it with dirt, then dig back down to the sea floor to give me an empty space to build. Now when I tear down the walls, the water just creates currents of water falls down the sides and never fills up the area.

How do you fill up a space with water?

I built my dome under the sea, but I cant get the water to flood back over it. I had to make a huge square in the sea, fill it with dirt, then dig back down to the sea floor to give me an empty space to build. Now when I tear down the walls, the water just creates currents of water falls down the sides and never fills up the area.

You probably would have been better off building the dome with the water still there using the ladder or sugar cane trick so you didn't have to go back up to the surface. Refilling that water bucket by bucket is really going to be a pain. It'll be very hard to get it back to flat water.

EDIT: And if you can post a picture maybe we can give you some help in how best to refill it.

Fox Mulder

You probably would have been better off building the dome with the water still there using the ladder or sugar cane trick so you didn't have to go back up to the surface. Refilling that water bucket by bucket is really going to be a pain. It'll be very hard to get it back to flat water.

EDIT: And if you can post a picture maybe we can give you some help in how best to refill it.

I'll try to get a pic later, but I assumed that once I tore down the dirt wall holding back the ocean, that it would flood back over the whole area. I was at the sea floor after all.

Oh well, when they update the game I'll have to start a different one anyways. If I can't get this right I'll just chalk it up to refining my techniques. I didn't know water was such a pain in the ass.

3OHGi.jpg

so much fun

RobbieNick

I just woke up with 1 creeper on my front door and 3 in the back. @_@ I had to go upstairs and sneak out.

Why is sugar cane so rare? I can find almost none on any nearby islands.

Haunted

Yeah, the way liquids work and move in Minecraft is very weird and unintuitive, directly contrary to most of the other mechanics in the game, actually.

I mean, it does have its own internal logic than shouldn't pose too many problems once you understand it, but it's still jarring to see because its behaviour is so unexpected for someone going on without prior knowledge.

Cat Party

Couple noob questions:

I finally found some diamond ore and picked it with a gold pickaxe. Nothing dropped. Happened again so I stopped. Is a gold pickaxe not the proper tool to mine diamond ore?

Also, when the minecart achievement says "500m," does that mean 500 blocks? For this achievement, can the tracks go up and down (I know they cannot turn left or right)?

Miggytronz

Couple noob questions:

I finally found some diamond ore and picked it with a gold pickaxe. Nothing dropped. Happened again so I stopped. Is a gold pickaxe not the proper tool to mine diamond ore?

Also, when the minecart achievement says "500m," does that mean 500 blocks? For this achievement, can the tracks go up and down (I know they cannot turn left or right)?

Use a Iron Pick Axe to mine Diamond.

Greyvvolf

Couple noob questions:

I can confirm you can make the tracks go up or down to get the achievement. I had my tracks go over a hill and down again, my friend needed the achievement and it worked.

Haunted

Couple noob questions:

Iron or diamond pickaxe. You just destroyed 2 diamonds.
sorry man

Gold has the same endurance and efficiency of Wood, it's purely decorative.

RobbieNick

Iron or diamond pickaxe. You just destroyed 2 diamonds.
sorry man

Gold has the same endurance and efficiency of Wood, it's purely decorative.

Yea. The gamer part of me though it would be fun to make a "Golden Axe". That axe did not last long.

Where can I find flour? I'm growing sugar cane well thanks to a tip on here, but I need flower badly.

Also, how do I stop creepers from showing up at my doorstep when I wake up in the morning?

Yea. The gamer part of me though it would be fun to make a "Golden Axe". That axe did not last long.

Where can I find flour? I'm growing sugar cane well thanks to a tip on here, but I need flower badly.

Also, how do I stop creepers from showing up at my doorstep when I wake up in the morning?

Do you mean Wheat? If so go run around breaking tall grass until you get seeds. Use the hoe to till dirt blocks so you can plant them. Make sure there is water next to the block so the wheat will grow. Make sure you put a fence around it so animals/you don't trample the crops. Once the wheat is fully grown (look up pictures online) it will drop wheat which is used to make bread and cake (not too sure about cookies).

Also about the Creepers you could make a one block wide bridge leading to your door that would make them more prone to falling off.

Blizzard

Banned
Do you mean Wheat? If so go run around breaking tall grass until you get seeds. Use the hoe to till dirt blocks so you can plant them. Make sure there is water next to the block so the wheat will grow. Make sure you put a fence around it so animals/you don't trample the crops. Once the wheat is fully grown (look up pictures online) it will drop wheat which is used to make bread and cake (not too sure about cookies).

Also about the Creepers you could make a one block wide bridge leading to your door that would make them more prone to falling off.
Or just make the stairs + bridge to your house have a gap over a moat, since you can jump over it but monsters (besides spiders and endermen?) cannot. Or did that change in the PC version AI update?

Vlad

The fence post trick for making poles (stacking them on top of one another) doesn't work :(

If I'm remembering that version correctly, you kind of have to do it a little roundabout. It should change in later versions, but for now you can't stack fenceposts directly. For now, you have to kind of build them from the top down. Say you want a pole three blocks tall, you'd plop down two filler blocks (dirt, gravel, whatever) then place a fence block on top. Then, remove the top filler block and place a fence where it was. Remove the final filler block and then plop down the bottom fencepost.

Kryten

If I'm remembering that version correctly, you kind of have to do it a little roundabout. It should change in later versions, but for now you can't stack fenceposts directly. For now, you have to kind of build them from the top down. Say you want a pole three blocks tall, you'd plop down two filler blocks (dirt, gravel, whatever) then place a fence block on top. Then, remove the top filler block and place a fence where it was. Remove the final filler block and then plop down the bottom fencepost.

Legendary! I remember that now, I guess I'd gotten so used to just doing it directly on the PC version :) Thanks!

RobbieNick

I was thinking about making a moat made of lava, but my dogs tend to be suicidal and I doubt they'd last long. They kill themselves falling off the damn staircase at home. XD

Taffer

Heard enough horror stories that I decided not to give Microsoft my card details anyway and just bought some points cards instead.
Seems like there's huge mobs of ...mobs popping up everywhere, I don't think I saw this many cows or sheep on the PC, I'm wearing leather armour for once.

Kryten

Heard enough horror stories that I decided not to give Microsoft my card details anyway and just bought some points cards instead.
Seems like there's huge mobs of ...mobs popping up everywhere, I don't think I saw this many cows or sheep on the PC, I'm wearing leather armour for once.

It's nice to have this fixed - I just wish they'd hurry up and let us stack food items (and add stone bricks, gah!).

I restarted my world last night with a seed of "3.14" and it's really quite fun - there's a lot of vertical features, lakes and caves immediately near the world spawn and it's been a blast. I forgot about stoking the fireplace last night and two hours went by, with me feeling cold and numb and not realising it until I tried to get off the couch!

Noob question. Trying to playing some split screen co-op. I have a few generic profiles on my HDD for local multi games. Earlier I was able to sign in one of the generics and play. Trying again now and I can't - getting a message that that I can't sign in so I can't join the game. Does multiplayer on this somehow work differently than other xbla titles?

Woorloog

Banned
Noob question. Trying to playing some split screen co-op. I have a few generic profiles on my HDD for local multi games. Earlier I was able to sign in one of the generics and play. Trying again now and I can't - getting a message that that I can't sign in so I can't join the game. Does multiplayer on this somehow work differently than other xbla titles?

For local splitscreen, make sure the game is not "online", only Gold users can sign in those (and Guests if you activate guests before loading the game).

teraMEL0S

any word on the update yet?

I'm hoping something regarding update release dates and possible DLC plans comes out at E3. Would make my day.

There was a video interview at xblafans.com and a little excerpt article afterwords. The 1.7.3 update's supposed to hit in July. Also some news on the XBLA version being its own entity possibly garnering its own, exclusive content. Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/86mclho

Fox Mulder

I had my first death from a mining accident last night. I found so many diamond blocks that greed took over for caution. I made the mistake of standing on a block i was mining, and it dropped me right into a pool of lava. There was no escape, as I had used the water I carry for emergencies on something earlier. I had so many diamonds....

Just want to say that as a non-PC gamer I am finally discovering the joy of this game via the 360 version. I have yet to build anything of note, but my time on Peaceful mode climbing hills seeking vistas, viewing sunrises, cliff diving, boating the coastlines and spelunking/mining a huge natural cavern (for like 2+ hours) has been awesome. Stellar concept. I really should have checked it out sooner given that many of my favorite games are those with a sense of solitude, discovery and narrative minimalism, ie Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Limbo, Journey and, to a certain extent, Fallout 3 or Zelda, etc.

I can see where a near infinite world map and no crafting instructions would add to the wander and discovery, but I am glad to have this version. Big TV and comfy couch are great for my chill play style, too.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://playxbla.com/?p=9937

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Is About To Get Even Better!
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition has become one of the most loved games on the planet in over the last few weeks since it’s launch. That doesn’t mean it can’t get better though!!! The team at 4J and Mojang have been working on some quick fixes and improvements that you kids are gonna love! Click Read More to check out the list of fixes and features details!Stay tuned for more info posting soon!

Features:-

* Added an autosave, and the ability to turn autosave off, or set it from 15 minutes up to 2 hours in 15 minute steps.
* Split the sensitivity controls into an in-game sensitivity and an in-menu sensitivity.
* Added an Interface Opacity slider in the settings for plasma screen users.
* Added a gamertag display in splitscreen, and the ability to enable/disable it in the settings.
* Added an option in the settings menu to enable/disable in-game hints.
* Added an option in the settings menu to enable/disable tooltips.
* Added a co-ordinate display to the in-game map.
* Added new sections in the How To Play on Multiplayer, Sharing Screenshots, and What’s New.
* Added a warning message when attempting to place lava near the spawn area.

Fixes:-

* Fix for the leaderboard crash when toggling between filters/leaderboards.
* Fix for server disconnect message appearing when offline or in leaderboards.
* Fix for issue where posting a screenshot to Facebook caused a back out to the main menu.
* Fix for clay generation.
* Fix for ‘Awaiting Approval’ showing all the time on some signs.
* Various crafting menu fixes.
* Fix for being able to stand on sugarcane.
* Fix for intermittent crash on saving.
* Fix for duplication bug with the furnace.
* Fix for not being able to place water near the spawn area.
* Fix for intermittent problem on entering the Nether putting the player above the Nether world.
* Fix for frame-rate drop around the edge of the world.
* Fix for intermittent problem where some achievements were not being awarded.
* Fix for graphical issue with stairs.
* Fix for issue with enemies spawning inside a house when they shouldn’t.
* Fix for Zombie Pigmen not being counted for leaderboard scores.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
for the new page

http://playxbla.com/?p=9937

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Is About To Get Even Better!
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition has become one of the most loved games on the planet in over the last few weeks since it’s launch. That doesn’t mean it can’t get better though!!! The team at 4J and Mojang have been working on some quick fixes and improvements that you kids are gonna love! Click Read More to check out the list of fixes and features details!Stay tuned for more info posting soon!

Features:-

* Added an autosave, and the ability to turn autosave off, or set it from 15 minutes up to 2 hours in 15 minute steps.
* Split the sensitivity controls into an in-game sensitivity and an in-menu sensitivity.
* Added an Interface Opacity slider in the settings for plasma screen users.
* Added a gamertag display in splitscreen, and the ability to enable/disable it in the settings.
* Added an option in the settings menu to enable/disable in-game hints.
* Added an option in the settings menu to enable/disable tooltips.
* Added a co-ordinate display to the in-game map.
* Added new sections in the How To Play on Multiplayer, Sharing Screenshots, and What’s New.
* Added a warning message when attempting to place lava near the spawn area.

Fixes:-

* Fix for the leaderboard crash when toggling between filters/leaderboards.
* Fix for server disconnect message appearing when offline or in leaderboards.
* Fix for issue where posting a screenshot to Facebook caused a back out to the main menu.
* Fix for clay generation.
* Fix for ‘Awaiting Approval’ showing all the time on some signs.
* Various crafting menu fixes.
* Fix for being able to stand on sugarcane.
* Fix for intermittent crash on saving.
* Fix for duplication bug with the furnace.
* Fix for not being able to place water near the spawn area.
* Fix for intermittent problem on entering the Nether putting the player above the Nether world.
* Fix for frame-rate drop around the edge of the world.
* Fix for intermittent problem where some achievements were not being awarded.
* Fix for graphical issue with stairs.
* Fix for issue with enemies spawning inside a house when they shouldn’t.
* Fix for Zombie Pigmen not being counted for leaderboard scores.

Top Bottom