• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder if they meant to say "only be in chunks created after the update" rather than "worlds" because that's how it has typically worked in Minecraft on the computer. The Xbox version could be different, I suppose.

The Xbox version probably creates all the chunks as the world is created, considering how small it is.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
You should, theoretically, still be able to. Just go offline, clear the cache and dupe to your heart's content, then store it all and go back online.
I can confirm this with experimentation.

I started a new world with clay and then uninstalled the patch to keep duping. No problems have popped up yet in doing this so far.

If you guys want to start a new seed with clay, I found a post on the minecraft forums that lead me to this seed: 888

Clay is abundant from the start and there's an open air dungeon on the other side of the hill from the spawn point.

RobbieNick

Need some tips.

I'm making an automated minecart rail in an underground mine. How do I make it so that after I go one way, I can use another lever to switch it in reverse?

What's the best way to make a long bridge when your high up?

I'm making a large tower. Any suggestions?

Ranger X

Need some tips.

I'm making an automated minecart rail in an underground mine. How do I make it so that after I go one way, I can use another lever to switch it in reverse?

When you crouch you can't fall from blocks. This let you make bridges from high up in the sky. Crouch and go as far you can, turn around, place block. :)

DarkStar

Need some tips.

You can make the cart go back if you place a rail on one block higher, and it stops on that

I made mine like this \__/ if the cart stops on \ or / it goes the opposite way. I hope its clear 0_o

Taffer

Need some tips.

If you have a look at the tutorial village there's a rail setup there worth seeing - put powered rails at the end of the track with a button connected. When your cart hits the unpowered powered rails it'll stop, hit the button to send it back the other way.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Skins DLC confirmed.

BMhIn.png

Du2andal

Banned
Man this game can be infuriating sometimes. I built a new house that is totally secure and well lit and even after the patch it insists on spawning zombies on top of me every time I try to sleep. Why do you hate fun, Minecraft?

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Man this game can be infuriating sometimes. I built a new house that is totally secure and well lit and even after the patch it insists on spawning zombies on top of me every time I try to sleep. Why do you hate fun, Minecraft?

Are there just random spawns separate from the monster cage spawns?

I'm not sure exactly how those monster spawn cages work but maybe you have one under your home. Someone with more knowledge may know.

Du2andal

Banned
Are there just random spawns separate from the monster cage spawns?

I'm not sure exactly how those monster spawn cages work but maybe you have one under your home. Someone with more knowledge may know.

I have been reading the wiki and it seems like any area 2 blocks tall with sufficiently low lighting can spawn monsters at night. i thought I had a dark spot somewhere so I separated off the basement level (with doors) and then eventually my entire house. Now i am left with just a bedroom lit like the surface of the damn sun that still insists on spawning crap on me. Even if there was a monster spawner somewhere below me, it would be at least 3 floors down. Thanks but I think I should just admit that something is glitched.

Marvie_3

Banned
I have been reading the wiki and it seems like any area 2 blocks tall with sufficiently low lighting can spawn monsters at night. i thought I had a dark spot somewhere so I separated off the basement level (with doors) and then eventually my entire house. Now i am left with just a bedroom lit like the surface of the damn sun that still insists on spawning crap on me. Even if there was a monster spawner somewhere below me, it would be at least 3 floors down. Thanks but I think I should just admit that something is glitched.

This is what I've been thinking too. Lighting doesn't seem to stop the baddies at all in my game.

Feorax

Is your bed against an outside wall? Try moving it a couple of blocks away from any of the walls. Fixed the problem for me.

Cat Party

I was making a long railroad to get the achievement, but even though I spanned almost my entire island, I didn't get it. DL'ed the patch and once I road the same railroad, I got it. So I guess that was glitched somehow. This will make my kids happy. They love watching me play but don't like when I go digging for iron ore.

Me and some friends just discovered a really good seed with lots of clay. All you do is when you're putting in the seed code, enter in as many zeros as you can, but delete the last zero and put in a 1. I alone have found 20 stacks of 64 things of clay.

Just in case you don't know where to find clay, look around sandy beaches. Most of the clay is on the surface right next to the water, but also look around in shallow water.

Fox Mulder

I was making a long railroad to get the achievement, but even though I spanned almost my entire island, I didn't get it. DL'ed the patch and once I road the same railroad, I got it. So I guess that was glitched somehow. This will make my kids happy. They love watching me play but don't like when I go digging for iron ore.

It wasnt glitched for me, and it was fun to get too.way ace my track way down where the diamond sweet spot is supposed to be and found tons of caves that I haven't even finished exploring yet.

tw1164

If you guys want to start a new seed with clay, I found a post on the minecraft forums that lead me to this seed: 888

Clay is abundant from the start and there's an open air dungeon on the other side of the hill from the spawn point.

This is a good seed to get your "when pig fly" achievement. The chest in the open air dungeon has a saddle.

Marvie_3

Banned
This is a good seed to get your "when pig fly" achievement. The chest in the open air dungeon has a saddle.

I got that pretty easy. My world is pretty flat so I just build a ramp out of dirt with a walled in area at the top. I just had to wait a minute or so for the pig to climb to the top, put a saddle on him, then took out part of the wall and down we went.

Schwabe

so the skin pack will be DLC? was this mentioned before?

yes ... scroll up or click here: #1965

i'm curious if i could create and use pistons at old maps. i work on a cave system with a big netherportal room with trees and lavafalls on bedrock level and i really don't want do dig again O,o this game is so addictive and time consuming. not in a bad way though. i start playing, the next time i check 2h are gone =)

Fox Mulder

yes ... scroll up or click here: #1965

i'm curious if i could create and use pistons at old maps. i work on a cave system with a big netherportal room with trees and lavafalls on bedrock level and i really don't want do dig again O,o this game is so addictive and time consuming. not in a bad way though. i start playing, the next time i check 2h are gone =)

From what I've read, updates only apply to new games. Really sucks to start a new game each time, as I'm sure the PC version doesn't have to do that.

CougRon

there are no map/terrain generation changes with the '1.7.3 beta' update so you will not have to generate new maps/worlds. All the changes are in what you can 'craft' not mine so you will be able create pistons on your current maps (you just have to find slimes I think.)

Schwabe

there are no map/terrain generation changes with the '1.7.3 beta' update so you will not have to generate new maps/worlds. All the changes are in what you can 'craft' not mine so you will be able create pistons on your current maps (you just have to find slimes I think.)

that sounds good :) thx.

Woorloog

Banned

Actually there are. Clay generation bug is fixed. So if you want clay, you need to start a new world.

celebi23

Here's some 1.3 info

http://www.mojang.com/2012/07/minecraft-1-3-info-snapshot-w27/

This week Dinnerbone (Nathan Adams) has arrived to the Mojang office in Stockholm. He’ll be working full-time on Minecraft here, and has already got a flying start! We managed to do a lot of fixing and tweaking for this week’s snapshot, and have finally decided to lock down on a proper release date for Minecraft 1.3: August 1, 2012.

A week prior to releasing, we’ll post a “release candidate” that is likely to be identical to the actual release. This version is intended to give server admins and modders a little more time to prepare for the new Minecraft version.

Minecraft 1.3 consists of a huge number of changes, and some of them are changes to the fundamental game engine. The most dramatic change is that we’ve kicked out single-player, and made it a shell on top of multi-player. There are two major benefits to this: first, it’s required for the modding api if we don’t want to have multiple implementations of every mod, and second, if we fix a bug in single-player, we know the bug is fixed in multi-player, too. Previously we had to fix bugs both in relation to single-player and multi-player.

Here’s a compact list of what the update will bring…

Minecraft 1.3: The Good

Lots and lots of bug fixes and new features. Players who mainly play in multi-player on servers should enjoy a smoother and more stable experience, as this has been our focus of the development. We’ve looked over the network packets and added encryption to prevent session stealing. Dinnerbone has updated the chatting screen, to allow for easier editing and clickable links.

The single/multi-player merge has added the possibility to share your single-player worlds with friends who are on the same local network. It has also enabled players to use multi-player-like commands in single-player (such as /gamemode and /give), but only if cheats are enabled.

We’ve added emeralds, emerald ore and a trading system that makes it possible to buy items from villagers. Villagers will add and remove items depending on what you buy.

We’ve added the possibility write in books and leave stories for other people.

We’ve added new terrain features, and you can choose to begin the game with a “bonus chest,” to get you started quicker.

We’ve added tripwire, so you can create new traps and contraptions.

We’ve also added new stairs, new half-slabs, cocoa plants and tweaked dispensers, leaves, cauldrons, levers, gravel, pressure plates, cookies, buckets, boats, minecarts, ice, furnaces… Plus you get magic orbs from mining and smelting (and not just killing monsters)!

Minecraft 1.3: The Bad

Since single-player has been turned into a shell on top of a background server, the game’s resource requirements have increased. When playing single-player, the game needs to be able to both simulate and emulate the world, which take many more CPU cycles. We’re working on optimizing rendering, but those improvements will not be included until Minecraft 1.4.

Minecraft 1.3: The Ugly

A couple of problems and expected features have been pushed to Minecraft 1.4. The most notable problem is the lighting issues causing black regions in the terrain. We’re looking into ways to solve this, but lighting is a very expensive calculation and we are struggling with finding a solution that doesn’t hurt framerate.

And the most notable missing feature is the modding API. Throwing out single-player was the first step in order to make the API possible, and that’s done now. We decided to release 1.3 without the API, because otherwise it would be an even longer wait for a Minecraft update.

We’ve also added an extremely basic version of “adventure mode.” We’ll work more on this in future updates.

To Summarize

The time between Minecraft 1.2.5 and 1.3 has been the longest update interval yet, and that was because we changed so much in the game engine. I (jeb_) was a little scared to push it to the public, but waiting even longer is not a solution.

If you want to get the whole Minecraft 1.3 change log, I suggest you read redstonehelper’s great summary here: http://www.reddit.com/r/edstonehelper/comments/p6lol/planned_for_the_next_update/

Schwabe

Uhh, wrong thread? We're still waiting for 1.7.3, please don't remind us how far behind we are.

i don't really mind. i am happy about MC360 at it is right now. any improvement is good, but i have a lot of fun anyway...

right now i am trying to grow grass in a cave. the bad news is, i dug a very very long corridor and also down to bedrock ... so i assume it will take a lot of time for gras to get there ... xD

But when it's done, i'll have a nice forrest with a nether portal within and lava falls around at the center of the earth O,o

in the meantime i will use the chests full of cobblestone to create a fortress aboe the entrance to the cave...

Vlad

right now i am trying to grow grass in a cave. the bad news is, i dug a very very long corridor and also down to bedrock ... so i assume it will take a lot of time for gras to get there ... xD

Yes, yes it will. There's also a few things that you should keep in mind to speed things along. First, make sure the pathway is well-lit. Grass won't spread in darkness. Also, grass tends to spread faster the more dirt blocks are adjacent to each other.

For example, say you're trying to spread grass 100 blocks into a desert. Sure, you can do it with 100 dirt blocks in a row connected to an existing grass blocks, but the wider the pathway is, the better chance there will be for it to spread faster. So if you can, make whatever pathway of dirt you've got going as wide as possible.

Also, like all other block updates (wheat growing, etc), grass will only spread if a player is currently in the area, so if you're on the other side of the map or in the Nether, the grass won't spread at all.

MarkusRJR

I bought this game on launch because I used to play a ton of Minecraft on PC (when I still had a decent PC and not a shitty netbook). I keep getting bored during the tutorial and turning my 360 off. I'm thinking of just charging through it to get to the game, but I don't know.

I also heard the game world is really small and not infinite. Is this true? How does it handle resources then? Can you eventually run through all of your resources and be fucked? Also, what resolution does the game run at and what is the frame rate? Just curious.

Schwabe

Yes, yes it will. There's also a few things that you should keep in mind to speed things along. First, make sure the pathway is well-lit. Grass won't spread in darkness. Also, grass tends to spread faster the more dirt blocks are adjacent to each other.

For example, say you're trying to spread grass 100 blocks into a desert. Sure, you can do it with 100 dirt blocks in a row connected to an existing grass blocks, but the wider the pathway is, the better chance there will be for it to spread faster. So if you can, make whatever pathway of dirt you've got going as wide as possible.

Also, like all other block updates (wheat growing, etc), grass will only spread if a player is currently in the area, so if you're on the other side of the map or in the Nether, the grass won't spread at all.

okay, i knew about the wider pathways and light, but the thing with staying in the area was new to me .... mmmh, i guess i'll have to improve my plan, it's really a damn long way there...

@Yaceka:
it's not infinite, but it is enough for me... i don'T think you can get all ressources in a decent amount of time O,o ... resolution and framerate .... sorry, i am not interested in counting pixels so it doesn't bother me... my 360 runs in 720p and it is stable... :) the tutorial was kind of annoying, but to get used to the controls (i only knew pc controls from videos, i don't play pc games).

Woorloog

Banned
I bought this game on launch because I used to play a ton of Minecraft on PC (when I still had a decent PC and not a shitty netbook). I keep getting bored during the tutorial and turning my 360 off. I'm thinking of just charging through it to get to the game, but I don't know.

I also heard the game world is really small and not infinite. Is this true? How does it handle resources then? Can you eventually run through all of your resources and be fucked? Also, what resolution does the game run at and what is the frame rate? Just curious.

720p 60FPS.
The world is about one square kilometer in size, invisible walls around it.
The world probably has enough resources for whathever you intend to do...
Consider the size: roughly 1000x1000x64=64 000 000 blocks of matter... Well, not quite as much due to water but a lot anyway, should be more than enough for most things.

fritolay

If the game is updated at that time, I am not sure if it will be available for everyone in each time zone at the same time, or it the release is further staggered.

Top Bottom