• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Misunderstood Movies (stolen from reddit, 2001 Space Odyssee welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Reddit had a very interesting discussion about meaning of some of the movies. I stayed up late in the night just reading through it because it was so damn interesting. Note, some of them are "no-shit sherlock" category, where-as others might be stretching a bit. For example, did you know that Signs is not about pastor redeeming his faith, but about return of demons? Here are some of the top rated ones (Warning: Total spoilers. Read at your own risk):
Gravelord-_Nito
Napoleon Dynamite. That movie is strangely unsettling to me, and I could never figure out quite why until I read this.

Quoted from u/Minsc_and_Boo:

Napoleon Dynamite is a movie that few people really got, IMO. It is one of the best illustrations of what it feels like to be lonely, that I have ever seen. The whole damn movie is about portraying the many forms of loneliness. All the main characters feel disconnected, misunderstood, and have nobody to relate to.

Napoleon has no friends and lives in fantasy land. He is shunned by everybody. His brother is self-deluded, wanting to be a cage fighter but staying home all the time desperately seeing love and attention on the internet. Their grandmother is never there for them, though she has a full life of her own ( a twist on real life situation of the elderly). They live next to a huge field... reinforcing the feeling of isolation. Almost every home in the film is shown isolated, actually. Their uncle lives alone on a trailer in the middle of nowhere, obsessed about the past. Pedro is latin and barely intellingible, oddly attired, alien in every sense of the word.

Not even the protagonists seem to truly connect... their dialogues are always a little awkward, as if 80% of the message was received only, often rolling along without any conclusions being reached. There are little details also... like how Napoleon seldom looks at someone in the eyes, in fact his eyes remain barely open throughout the film. Minor details that add to the sense of disconnection.

In the end the protagonists defeat their loneliness: the uncle gets a girlfriend and gets over the past, his brother gets a girlfriend who is clearly in love with him, Pedro becomes president and Napoleon's dance makes him popular, but even so you don't really get that great a sense of satisfaction by the time it's over. You get a sense that there's so much more that Napoleon needs and that it's not due anytime soon. In fact he does not embrace the popularity at the end, he runs away. He does not have the emotional tools to deal with any of this. He is still fundamentally an isolated creature.

In the end most people can never really put a finger on what made them feel odd about watching this film... while it is overtly a comedy, the circumstances presented leave you no choice but to feel disheartened... questions pop in your head which make you uncomfortable but are not ever addressed: where are Napoleon's parents, for instance? It is a plot point that could be cleared up with one short phrase but isn't. You're just left to wonder if they abandoned Napoleon, or died, or something of the sort. Whatever happened, we are given little closure, just a bit more discomfort with what we see. It is a discomfort that the filmmaker builds upon more and more, punctuated with absurdist humor which makes you legitimately confused about how you should feel.

It is cleverly disguised as a silly comedy but most people who watch it with that preconception end up a bit confused and with a bitter taste in their mouths... it's a bit too surreal and a bit too dark...
omegaterra
Scarface comes to mind. It's like the 2nd half of the movie doesn't exist for a lot of people. Tony is a tragedy, not a hero.
genericname
Inglorious Basterds.

There were a lot of themes going on in it, but the big one I took away was how the viewer is supposed to cheer on the horrible things that happen to the Germans, and yet be repulsed and offended when the Germans in the theater are having the same reactions to the Americans dying in the movie. And everyone misses that point as they cheer at Hitler dying and the theater burning down.
TheColorOfYourEnergy
Breakfast at Tiffanys: Most young women just idealize Audrey Hepburn and her fashion in the movie but it's actually a pretty sad movie about how terrifying and vulnerable relationships are.
dtg108
The movie Signs:

When I first saw this film, I didn't realize that it wasn't about aliens at all. It's about the return of demons. Notice it's all about a priest's resurgence of belief, and a preordained moment of redemption-if-dared-and-attempted. There is no alien technology or weaponry or clothing of any kind, only a clawed, naked beast creature and lights in the sky.

Furthermore: The running joke throughout the movie is that people see these "invaders" in a way that's related to their particular frame of mind: The cop sees them as prankster kids, the bookstore owners see them as "a hoax to sell commercials," the Army recruitment officer sees them as invading military, the kids see them as UFOs... and the Priest sees them as test of faith. This understanding of the film removed my hatred of the "You've got to be kidding me; they were killed by WATER!" concept. In fact, the priest's daughter had been referred to as "holy" (as revealed during Mel's key monologue)–recognized by all who saw her at her birth as "an Angel;" and her quite particular relationship to water is shown to be very special and spiritual: In other words, she has placed vials of what are, essentially, HOLY WATER all around the house. (And the creature's reaction when coming in contact with this blessed liquid is EXACTLY like monsters/vampires being splashed by spiritual "acid.")

This view of the movie also explains the creature's actions: They act like superior tricksters, are not able to break in through closed doors, can be trapped behind simple wooden latches –all mythological elements of demons and vampire-like creatures of lore. It also explains the news over the radio at the end of the movie that an ancient method of killing the creatures has been found "in three small cities in the Middle East" - one would suspect the religious "hubs" of the three main Abrahamic traditions, each discovering the "mystic methods" of protection-and-dispatch that I’ve noted earlier.

Note also: All the Christian iconography throughout the movie, the references to "Signs and Wonders" (the true meaning of the title), the crucifix shapes hinted-at everywhere (check out the overhead shot, looking down on the street driving into town) and the ultimate fact that the entire movie is built around a Priest rediscovering he is not abandoned to a random, Godless, scientifically-oriented Universe but, rather, is part of a predicted and dreamed-of plan.

Now –these creatures may for all intents and purposes be some sort of extraterrestrial or inter-dimensional "aliens" –but the point of the movie seems to be that they are, in the ACTUALITY OF THE FILM WORLD, the dark stuff from which all the character’s tales of devils and night-creatures were born.

ImADude
Into The Wild. Most people think it's all about how being alone in nature is better than being surrounded with people in civilization. They forget that the epiphany Chris gets at the end is "happiness isn't real unless shared." He realizes that all of the great things that happened in his journey happened with other people, not with nature.
lauraam
This has been discussed to death, but 500 Days of Summer isn't a quirky romantic comedy; it's a film about a guy who over-idealises a past relationship and doesn't really learn anything from it.
Below is a response to a question about 2001: A Space Odyssee
tomrhod
I imagine you're saying, "I didn't get what the ending meant," because the opening scene and the future are both pretty easy to digest. In short (forgive me for forgetting a few details, it's been awhile):

The opening concerned early humans who were kickstarted into evolving higher cognitive functions after interacting with the black monolith. That's why they started using tools after it appeared to them and they touched it (one proto-human, in particular, was the focus of this jumpstart -- the others followed his lead through learning). More interestingly, one of the first things they do with it is kill.

The transition of the bone cutting to the space capsule (one of the most famous cuts in film history, btw, alongside the blowing-out-the-match cut from Lawrence of Arabia) is a clear reference to the evolution of technology over time. The beauty of the scene -- the majesty of space travel -- is viewed with bored eyes by the first modern human we see, who is sleeping soundly as the universe spins around him.

The recovery of the monolith on the moon is another piece of the tapestry, but we'll get to that later.

The middle section concerning the mission and HAL is once again exploring man and his place with technology. HAL was designed to be a peaceful servant to humans, always obeying but making sure not to harm. However HAL was given contradictory commands -- keep the mission a secret from the crew until it's time / follow the crew's commands. When the crew discovers something amiss during maintenance, HAL is placed in a difficult position: tell them what's happening to help the crew repair the ship (and thus violate command's orders), or tell the crew because they ordered him to (and thus violate the crew's orders). The solution HAL determines to be optimal is to kill the crew. If they can't receive the information, then neither order was violated. The tool built by man decides to kill him, even though it wasn't intended as a tool for violence, much like the bone wasn't.

Of course, this is imperfect rationale as anyone could see, but it goes back to humankind's generous spirit contrasted with his frequent inhumanity and violence, common themes of Kubrick's.

Now the ending is pretty simply summed up plot-wise by Kubrick himself:

You begin with an artifact left on earth four million years ago by extraterrestrial explorers who observed the behavior of the man-apes of the time and decided to influence their evolutionary progression. Then you have a second artifact buried deep on the lunar surface and programmed to signal word of man's first baby steps into the universe -- a kind of cosmic burglar alarm. And finally there's a third artifact placed in orbit around Jupiter and waiting for the time when man has reached the outer rim of his own solar system.

When the surviving astronaut, Bowman, ultimately reaches Jupiter, this artifact sweeps him into a force field or star gate that hurls him on a journey through inner and outer space and finally transports him to another part of the galaxy, where he's placed in a human zoo approximating a hospital terrestrial environment drawn out of his own dreams and imagination. In a timeless state, his life passes from middle age to senescence to death. He is reborn, an enhanced being, a star child, an angel, a superman, if you like, and returns to earth prepared for the next leap forward of man's evolutionary destiny.

That is what happens on the film's simplest level. Since an encounter with an advanced interstellar intelligence would be incomprehensible within our present earthbound frames of reference, reactions to it will have elements of philosophy and metaphysics that have nothing to do with the bare plot outline itself.

However, the interpretation of what this reductionist view of the plot means doesn't relate to personal feelings on the philosophy behind it. Also from the filmmaker:

It's not a message that I ever intend to convey in words. [...] I intended the film to be an intensely subjective experience that reaches the viewer at an inner level of consciousness, just as music does; to "explain" a Beethoven symphony would be to emasculate it by erecting an artificial barrier between conception and appreciation. You're free to speculate as you wish about the philosophical and allegorical meaning of the film -- and such speculation is one indication that it has succeeded in gripping the audience at a deep level -- but I don't want to spell out a verbal road map for 2001 that every viewer will feel obligated to pursue or else fear he's missed the point. I think that if 2001 succeeds at all, it is in reaching a wide spectrum of people who would not often give a thought to man's destiny, his role in the cosmos and his relationship to higher forms of life. But even in the case of someone who is highly intelligent, certain ideas found in 2001 would, if presented as abstractions, fall rather lifelessly and be automatically assigned to pat intellectual categories; experienced in a moving visual and emotional context, however, they can resonate within the deepest fibers of one's being.

And really, it's a film that deserves to be seen twice, or more. Quoting him again:

The whole idea that a movie should be seen only once is an extension of our traditional conception of the film as an ephemeral entertainment rather than as a visual work of art. We don't believe that we should hear a great piece of music only once, or see a great painting once, or even read a great book just once. But the film has until recent years been exempted from the category of art -- a situation I'm glad is finally changing.

Hope that was helpful!
Finally Zero Dark Thirty
Zero Dark Thirty. It's a study of revenge. The main character spends ten years looking for bin Laden, and in the process she makes serious moral compromises and alienates her colleagues. The search consumes her life and results in the deaths of her friends. And when she finally succeeds, all she has to show for it is uncertainty as to where to go next. She cries after bin Laden dies because she basically sold her soul for revenge and she found out that it brought her no satisfaction, only a hollow place in her life where her desire for vengeance had once been. So it's not quite the "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!" propaganda piece that many people think it is (including some people who didn't even bother to watch the thing).

shuri

Banned
Nolan's Batman flicks - an ode to campy radio serials of the '40 with constant over the top acting and how everything was serious business in a world filled with silly infantile themes (grown man wearing a bat suit, a mask that generates nightmare hallucinations, a criminal in a clown outfit, etc)

500 Days of Summer was very misunderstood I think and it pains me to see that sort of destructive and selfish relationship romanticised on the internet.

I still feel strongly that Suckerpunch belongs on this list, but I didn't sleep last night and I've seen other people explain it way better than I could, so hopefully they will be kind enough to do so.

potam

Banned
starship troopers: people think it's a serious attempt at hard scifi à la Aliens.

Man, I watched that movie the other night...it's always so good. It's sits in a weird place between regular Hollywood and B-movies.

But I'm not sure if your post was sarcastic or not. Was it really not meant as a true sci-fi movie, or do you just say that due to its cheesiness?

Obvious movie interpretations people claim are unique: The Thread.

Come on now, all of the OP's examples are the clear intention of the films. Of course redditers like to say they're misunderstood, it makes the fact they "got them" reflect on how intelligent and insightful they are. Or maybe everyone I know is of above average intelligence and can easily pick up on these deep hidden meanings. I think I know which one I consider more likely.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sucker Punch: the thread

I mean, it still sucks. But after having it pointed out to me what the film is very explicitly trying to do my opinion of it changed considerably. Its a fascinatingly interesting failure.

I want more of these.

The 500 Days of Summer and Scarface. In the beginning of 500 days, you are told even though you refuse to believe it.

Scarface, the 2nd half is what made the movie especially when you see Tony change from this God into a mere mortal. He begins to realize what life is really about; if the scene in the car didn't get to you then you weren't watching the movie well enough imo.

The Technomancer

Man, I watched that movie the other night...it's always so good. It's sits in a weird place between regular Hollywood and B-movies.

But I'm not sure if your post was sarcastic or not. Was it really not meant as a true sci-fi movie, or do you just say that due to its cheesiness?

Starship Troopers is a more successful version of, funnily enough, what Sucker Punch was trying to do, which was to be a brutal satire of what it is pretending to be. Starship Troopers is seemingly a fascist pro-war movie but its actually a condemnation of fascist pro-war movies. Sucker Punch seems to be a contextless-sexualized-female-eye-candy-excused-by-violence-making-them-"empowered" film when its actually meant to be saying very loud and clear "no its still objectification, its still essentially a strip tease, even if you show them wielding a sword"

Aurongel

Obvious movie interpretations people claim are unique: The Thread.

Bingo.

Half of these are complete misreads by people searching for true underlying meaning that just wasn't intended to be there to begin with. Keep in mind that Reddit is also the place that tries to boil down every story to "IT WAS IN HIS HEAD ALL ALONG, WHAT A TWIST".

That being said, the other half of those interpretations aren't really all that revealing. 2001, for example having an extensive underlying theme of human evolution isn't new to anyone who's actually thought critically on it.

This whole thing just reminds me of all those asinine Reddit fan theories about Ash from Pokemon being in a coma or all the Rugrats being in Angelica's mind. It's all just so dumb.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

yep, all the earth government/military/fascism/news reel stuff was intended to be over the top.

AVC: In order to get a film like, say, Starship Troopers made, do you have to sell the studio on a giant bug movie, then sneak in the satirical commentary?

PV: Sneaking in [those elements] was never something that I intended to do. They were all in the script. In my opinion, the movie got made because there were so many regime changes at Sony at that time, one after the other. Mike Medavoy disappeared, then Marc Platt came in, then Bob Cooper came in, and so on. There were five or six changes, and I don't think anyone ever looked at the movie! All the satire was in the script from the beginning, but they might not have been really aware of it, or had read it precisely. By the time one of them might have understood what movie I was going to make, he was already gone. The next group came in. I think we slipped through this labyrinth of changing regimes until finally the movie was done. By then, it had become a stable regime, but then, of course, the movie was already made. It was not that I was lying to anybody. It was already in the script, all this ironic stuff, all this hyperbolic stuff, all this playing with fascism or fascist imagery to point out certain aspects of American society, that was all in the script.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/paul-verhoeven,14078/

JB1981

Love Kubrick's reasoning for not providing a "roadmap" for the meaning behind 2001. He was a very intelligent man

The Technomancer

okay, here's another one, Primer

This is a film that I don't blame aaaaaanyone from walking away with without any understanding of what they just saw at all

The main point of the film is that when you give these two guys this amazing power their first instincts are entirely selfish. And as their use of it escalates and becomes more frequent and more dramatic it spirals out of their control and ultimately destroys their relationship and almost destroys them.

Man I'm glad to see 500 days of summer up there. I took that as a subversion/critique of the manic pixie dream girl trope and when everyone else told me it sucked I thought I was stupid.

inky

Starship Troopers is a more successful version of, funnily enough, what Sucker Punch was trying to do, which was to be a brutal satire of what it is pretending to be. Starship Troopers is seemingly a fascist pro-war movie but its actually a condemnation of fascist pro-war movies.

Precisely, especially in relation to the book, which was part of (don't know if it still is) the reading lists of US Marine Corps and Navy.

Rico was supposed to be a guy you felt sorry for, even when he is scaling the ranks. He has no input in his life, he is doing everything because he is blindly following someone or being told what to do. He is certainly not an action hero, but that is what some viewers were expecting of him. I thought it was kind of heavy handed actually (Nazi-like uniforms and all) but the amount of people who didn't get it is still surprising.

And yea, Sucker Punch... I really don't know if Snyder was trying to do that, or that was just his excuse to dress up girls in skimpy outfits and get away with it.

Fight Club: Too many people side on the line of 'fight-club' seems like a cool idea, even though the whole point is that it isn't.

I'm kind of surprised by the "internet" response to that movie. Especially when people quote it without the sense of irony that it is about a bunch of depressed self-indulgent wankers who don't understand anything about the world they inhabit.

The Signs one was really obvious, but I totality disagree with the Napoleon Dynamite one. The end is very uplifting and Napoleon is happy as a nerd now that he voted for Pedro and all his wildest dreams came true (he got the girl). Also, I always assumed the woman at the end with Uncle Rico was his ex-wife coming back to him.

dionysus

Yaldog
Not a movie and I don't think this is an original idea either, but I feel a majority of people don't understand that Kratos in God of War is the bad guy. And it seems like every subsequent game the developers are trying to make the audience understand that they are supposed to despise Kratos and you are supposed to walk away from the controller in ever more extreme ways. (I've only played 1 and 2.)

Kratos himself seems to be a combination of every bad guy trope in games, literature, and movies.
-A troubled past that ultimately does not justify his current actions, but a past he uses to justify his actions
-No care for collateral damage
-Descent into truly heinous acts in order to progress the goals (I think in either 1 or 2 he has to kill a completely innocent scholar in order to progress a puzzle.) The ends justify the means.
-Ever increasing depravity that goes above and beyond what is needed to accomplish goals, revealing that the character enjoys causing pain and death.
-Evil defeats itself, the constant backstabbing and betrayals of allies.
-Utter lack of empathy

All this in the character and story of Kratos and more. It is ultimately an unsubtle condemnation of us the player, that we accept these depraved gaming tropes and even find enjoyment in performing them.

Again, I think this interpretation is really obvious but I personally have not encountered it in the many discussions of GoW on these boards.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yo, what's up with Sucker Punch? I just remember it being a particularly awful film, I must have missed the subtext.

potam

Banned
Starship Troopers is a more successful version of, funnily enough, what Sucker Punch was trying to do, which was to be a brutal satire of what it is pretending to be. Starship Troopers is seemingly a fascist pro-war movie but its actually a condemnation of fascist pro-war movies.

yep, all the earth government/military/fascism/news reel stuff was intended to be over the top.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/paul-verhoeven,14078/

Well, yeah I realize that propaganda stuff was over the top, but I really don't think ST is one of those movies with a message. I guess I just watched it at face value since I didn't think it had anything deeper.

Cactus

Banned
It's not necessarily a misunderstood movie, but one of the reasons why I love Oldboy so much is because of how it plays with the idea of revenge by subverting the expectations of the viewer.

Dae-su's insatiable desire for revenge after being released from his imprisonment is meticulously guided by Woo-jin, who has devoted his entire life to taking revenge on Dae-su after an unfortunate childhood incident. The foundation of the movie (the implicit reliance on Dae-su's sentience) is disrupted when it is revealed that his violent quest for revenge is simply an extention of Woo-jin's own disturbing revenge plot.

While the fact that we are watching a movie about revenge never changes, realizing that the revenge plot that has been gradually unfolding throughout the movie is not that of Dae-su (but actually one against him) is really cool.

In that sense, the movie's message is pretty much anti-revenge. Both men are driven by hatred and misery. Woo-jin immediately commits suicide after he watches Dae-su's pathetic reaction to the truth, while Dae-su resorts to hypnotism to cope with the fact tha he was unwittingly compelled to commit incest and extreme acts of violence.

sonicmj1

This topic reminds me of Quentin Tarantino's monologue on Top Gun in Sleep with Me.

Not a movie and I don't think this is an original idea either, but I feel a majority of people don't understand that Kratos in God of War is the bad guy. And it seems like every subsequent game the developers are trying to make the audience understand that they are supposed to despise Kratos and you are supposed to walk away from the controller in ever more extreme ways. (I've only played 1 and 2.)

Kratos himself seems to be a combination of every bad guy trope in games, literature, and movies.
-A troubled past that ultimately does not justify his current actions, but a past he uses to justify his actions
-No care for collateral damage
-Descent into truly heinous acts in order to progress the goals (I think in either 1 or 2 he has to kill a completely innocent scholar in order to progress a puzzle.) The ends justify the means.
-Ever increasing depravity that goes above and beyond what is needed to accomplish goals, revealing that the character enjoys causing pain and death.
-Evil defeats itself, the constant backstabbing and betrayals of allies.
-Utter lack of empathy

All this in the character and story of Kratos and more. It is ultimately an unsubtle condemnation of us the player, that we accept these depraved gaming tropes and even find enjoyment in performing them.

Again, I think this interpretation is really obvious but I personally have not encountered it in the many discussions of GoW on these boards.

Until Kratos literally sacrifices himself to give hope to all of mankind at the end of God of War 3 to redeem himself.

Kratos was despicable from the start of God of War 1, when he rescues the ship key from the Hydra and leaves the captain to die. The Pandora plot arc in God of War 3 ran counter to everything the games had built that character into.

The Technomancer

And yea, Sucker Punch... I really don't know if Snyder was trying to do that, or that was just his excuse to dress up girls in skimpy outfits and get away with it.

I feel like the whole "the action sequences are a metaphor for a sleazy strip tease" made it pretty clear that it was deliberate

The Village
10915468_det.jpg

I know a lot of people see this movie and are "lol twist", but the true essence of this movie is "love".
Love can break society rules, love can make people face the impossible, love can be stronger than commodity.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
12 Monkeys is a sequel to Fight Club: in the book, Tyler doesn't actually blow up the buildings and ends up in a mental institution. Tyler is Jeffrey. Watch the movie, listen to Jeffrey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcztDZ13TLI

Space monkeys, 12 monkeys, same thing, he is trying to restart what he did in Fight Club. Remember his mentions of swinging from vine to vine across the Rockefeller Plaza. Now he releases the animals in the city, with his army of 12 monkeys.

You’re here because of the system. There’s the television. It’s all right there. All right there. Look, listen, kneel, pray. Commercials. We’re not productive anymore. We don’t make things anymore. It’s all automated. What are we for then? We’re consumers. Yeah. Okay, okay, buy a lot of stuff, you’re a good citizen. But if you don’t buy a lot of stuff, if you don’t, what are you then I ask you? What? Mentally ill! Fact, Jim, fact. If you don’t buy things: toilet paper, new cars, computerized blenders, electric operated sexual devices, stereo systems with brain implanted headphones, screwdrivers with miniature built in radar devices, voice activated computers!

And yes, 12 Monkeys came out first, but it's a time travel story, what do you expect!

Ourobolus

Banned
Yo, what's up with Sucker Punch? I just remember it being a particularly awful film, I must have missed the subtext.

Yeah, same here. A buddy of mine brought it over for us to watch and about 30 minutes in I was saying, "Dude, I can't take any more. This is horrible."

Pulp Fiction is about the chance for redemption and the characters that don't grasp that chance are the ones left worse off for it. Except for Marvin, he didn't do shit to deserve his brains splattered all over the car.

The girls are getting raped in the asylum. The "dances" / action sequences is a visualized act of escapism.
"After a while it was as if I wasn't even there anymore." Ever heard anything like that from fictional or non-fictional rape victims? Well that was what Snyder was going for..

At least that or something very similar to that is what I remember.

Starship Troopers was just too ahead of its time with its political viewpoint. Imagine if it came out in the run up to the Iraq War, it almost would have been too obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom