• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Misunderstood Movies (stolen from reddit, 2001 Space Odyssee welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
scream.jpg

Some still don't get the whole meta thing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i actually think 2010: The Year We Made Contact makes 2001 a lot more "understandable" without actually having to analyze the first movie by itself that much. They pretty much summarize the events in a way that makes sense.

2010 was more of a traditional "sci-fi" movie, and i enjoyed it. i sort of wish there was more in that "series"

napoleon dynamite, i pretty much got that myself from watching it multiple times, but never really placed it on "loneliness" in particular -- just that everyone has these random issues that they have and we see them on display as a "day in the life of" these characters, and it comes to a head when they all become something different nearer to the end of the movie. great film.

Pau

Sucker Punch: the thread

I mean, it still sucks. But after having it pointed out to me what the film is very explicitly trying to do my opinion of it changed considerably. Its a fascinatingly interesting failure.
Sucker Punch feels way too much like it's trying to have it's cake and eat it too.

strobogo

Banned
I think there's a lot of hiding messages in Robocop.

Are you insinuating there is subtlety in Robocop? Because there is none at all and it's awesome for it. The blatant satirical nature of Robocop makes it hard to believe that anyone could take Starship Troopers at face value.

Ionian

napoleon dynamite, i pretty much got that myself from watching it multiple times, but never really placed it on "loneliness" in particular -- just that everyone has these random issues that they have and we see them on display as a "day in the life of" these characters, and it comes to a head when they all become something different nearer to the end of the movie. great film.

Pretty much this. While it might be interesting to think its a study on loneliness I think it's really over thinking the film.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Nolan's Batman flicks - an ode to campy radio serials of the '40 with constant over the top acting and how everything was serious business in a world filled with silly infantile themes (grown man wearing a bat suit, a mask that generates nightmare hallucinations, a criminal in a clown outfit, etc)

That just makes me like them more.

lednerg

I like to pretend that Prometheus was a satire. David was the hero, out to destroy his impossibly moronic and self-absorbed human masters. We cheer him on as he sets in motion all of these wacky schemes to get them to annihilate themselves.

daviyoung

Banned
I like to pretend that Prometheus was a satire. David was the hero, out to destroy his impossibly moronic and self-absorbed human masters. We cheer him on as he sets in motion all of these wacky schemes to get them to annihilate themselves.

what's it satirising?

Donnie Darko is the thematic counterweight to It's a Wonderful Life. Donnie gets to see just how much worse life would be for the people he knows if he didn't die.

I want to say Last Action Hero. When it came out, people slammed it for not being Arnold's usual fare, or a lame action film in general.

I love it for the fact that the jokes have gotten much better with time, and the fact that it's pretty much a film for the "TVTropes generation" - it actively sets out to subvert and screw with just about every expectation of the action genre. The kid sets the plot in motion by telling the hero where to go, the standard action movie plots are lampooned to hell and back, and the "real-world" scenes with Arnold are way funnier in hindsight.

someday

Banned
starship troopers: people think it's a serious attempt at hard scifi à la Aliens.

yep, all the earth government/military/fascism/news reel stuff was intended to be over the top.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/paul-verhoeven,14078/

I'm stunned that people didn't realize it was intentionally over the top. I hadn't read the book and only watched it because my friend was so excited. I ended up laughing through the whole thing and it's one of my all time favorite movies. He hated it. The scene where the Mormons were wiped out killed me.

jediyoshi

This whole thing just reminds me of all those asinine Reddit fan theories about Ash from Pokemon being in a coma or all the Rugrats being in Angelica's mind. It's all just so dumb.

I want to live in your world where the internet exists without 4chan.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Are you insinuating there is subtlety in Robocop? Because there is none at all and it's awesome for it. The blatant satirical nature of Robocop makes it hard to believe that anyone could take Starship Troopers at face value.
Its about the second coming of christ according to the director.

Not a movie and I don't think this is an original idea either, but I feel a majority of people don't understand that Kratos in God of War is the bad guy. And it seems like every subsequent game the developers are trying to make the audience understand that they are supposed to despise Kratos and you are supposed to walk away from the controller in ever more extreme ways. (I've only played 1 and 2.)

Kratos himself seems to be a combination of every bad guy trope in games, literature, and movies.
-A troubled past that ultimately does not justify his current actions, but a past he uses to justify his actions
-No care for collateral damage
-Descent into truly heinous acts in order to progress the goals (I think in either 1 or 2 he has to kill a completely innocent scholar in order to progress a puzzle.) The ends justify the means.
-Ever increasing depravity that goes above and beyond what is needed to accomplish goals, revealing that the character enjoys causing pain and death.
-Evil defeats itself, the constant backstabbing and betrayals of allies.
-Utter lack of empathy

All this in the character and story of Kratos and more. It is ultimately an unsubtle condemnation of us the player, that we accept these depraved gaming tropes and even find enjoyment in performing them.

Again, I think this interpretation is really obvious but I personally have not encountered it in the many discussions of GoW on these boards.

Yeah, the interpretation is valid, it's just not intentional. The creators stepped over the line from understandable vengeance man to irredeamable psychopath without even realizing it[then again, his motivation never really made sense from the start]. It's part of the reasons some don't respect the series' storytelling.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'd say it might be overthinking, but it's not really wrong.

its definitely not wrong, but its definitely not the only interpretation of that movie. i think when they were constructing that movie they weren't necessarily thinking about making sure all of those things were as meticulous as the analyzing makes it seem they are.

usually a lot of those things are subconsciously done or done after the fact in editing. you have to be a genius director like a Kubrick or whatever to actually PLAN those things out from the beginning and say "this is my vision, this is what i had already planned out. this wasn't formulated on the editing floor, it was formulated in my head while i was writing/planning it"

the director of that movie went on to make Nacho Libre, so he is very good at making these cult-favorite movies with a lot of subtleties in them. he hasn't really made a whole lot of movies though.

Man, I hated Signs and now I want to watch it again.

But the main problem with Shyamalan movies is that all this movies are based in a "surprise" plot twist near the end. It worked well in The Sixth Sense but after that the audience already expects it every time.

Reeks

Cannibal Holocaust:

This is a classic exploitation film and often makes lists for the best horror. I agree that it is an outstanding film, but not strictly based on the realistic practical effects
impalement scene
and overall extremeness. Most people miss, however, that this film is a commentary on capitalism, consumerism and colonialism in a literal way. In the opening scenes, the narrator talks about the atrocious acts of gruesome cannibalism in the jungle, but what the viewer sees is extensive footage of New York city. The American filmmakers in this film are the real villains: they rape women, torture people and burn villages, all while seeming very entitled and detached. What this movie really suggests is that consumerism creates a culture of people who overtake others' without remorse, have no respect for other cultures (views them as "savage"), and destroy the environment... so it becomes clear that
although this group of people are eaten by members of an Amazonian tribe
, they themselves, the "consumers", are the true cannibals.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

lednerg

what's it satirising?

It's a satirical take on the sci-fi genre, the audience who takes it so seriously, and James Cameron. Unfortunately, my hand is broken, so I can't type the multiple paragraphs it would take to go through it all. I'll just point out how the film ends with
a blue alien sticking its tongue out
, because that's just hysterical. This guy had similar ideas about the film, so I'll refer you to him.

Like I said, I'm pretending here. It makes the film enjoyable and helps wash away the crushing disappointment of the first viewing. I'm not saying it's true, I just want it to be.

I think many people don't get First Blood: Rambo nowadays, because the sequels were just about how some muscular veteran is slaughtering many bad guys with big weapons.

Once upon a time in the west shows us that the civilization needs water to prosper.

Reuenthal

Banned
I think many people don't get First Blood: Rambo nowadays, because the sequels were just about how some muscular veteran is slaughtering many bad guys with big weapons.

Once upon a time in the west shows us that the civilization needs water to prosper.

I am not sure there is anything to get. If you watch first blood you get what it is about because it is what happens, you can't not get it.

However when you think of Rambo due to the sequels you will probably think of that kind of character.

Wag

I read all Arthur C. Clarke's 2xxx-3001 novels so I pretty much know what's going on there- he literally spells out what's going on in 2001 in the book.

strobogo

Banned
What is his explanation? My interpretation from the movie was "Humanity is evolving to the next stage", just like what happened at the beginning of the movie. That's what I thought the first time I saw it and it hasn't changed any other time I've seen it.

The Boat

I don't know what's so hard to get about Napoleon Dynamite, the things pointed out in that post seem pretty obvious. I mean, it's not like it's the first comedy about outcasts, dorks or whatever you want to call them. They way the movie handles it is precisely what makes it great. Can someone watch that movie and not realise it's about unpopular quirky people with terrible social skills and how they're isolated and oblivious?

American Psycho. I definitely know of a few people who view it as a straight up horror film. It's not very good in that way haha I've heard someone claim it's "the worst horror movie ever made"

Not that AP is especially deep or confusing. It's not. But it seems like the dark comedy aspects get overlooked by some, as well as the look at a materialistic 80's society.

strobogo

Banned
At no point does American Psycho feel like a horror movie. It's so clearly an 80s yuppie culture satire and black comedy. It's as much of a horror movie as Freddy's Dead or something.

7threst

Cannibal Holocaust:

This is a classic exploitation film and often makes lists for the best horror. I agree that it is an outstanding film, but not strictly based on the realistic practical effects
impalement scene
and overall extremeness. Most people miss, however, that this film is a commentary on capitalism, consumerism and colonialism in a literal way. In the opening scenes, the narrator talks about the atrocious acts of gruesome cannibalism in the jungle, but what the viewer sees is extensive footage of New York city. The American filmmakers in this film are the real villains: they rape women, torture people and burn villages, all while seeming very entitled and detached. What this movie really suggests is that consumerism creates a culture of people who overtake others' without remorse, have no respect for other cultures (views them as "savage"), and destroy the environment... so it becomes clear that
although this group of people are eaten by members of an Amazonian tribe
, they themselves, the "consumers", are the true cannibals.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've seen CH, but isn't this somewhat, maybe a bit implicitly, mentioned at the end of the movie by narration?

spoilers ahead:

the-hitcher-86.jpg

in the early minutes, Jim Halsey, the main characters, falls asleep on the wheel and wakes up just in time to avoid crashing against a truck. moments later, he picks-up the Hitcher and sets the events of the movie in motion.

now, i always saw it as Jim dying in the car crash and the Hitcher being a manifestation of the Grim Reaper, Death, toying with Jim's soul. it's the reason why the Hitcher is constantly teasing Jim to hurt him and stop him, cause he knows he can't be stopped. when Jim "kills" the Hitcher at the end, the Hitcher already destroyed everyone Jim came in contact with since meeting him and the movie ends with Jim alone, in the middle of nowhere with no one in sight.

xbhaskarx

People read so many things into the Big Lebowski but at the end of the day it's just the tale of a dude wanting his carpet back.

cdkee

Banned
Shylalalaman confirmed for genius.

The Last Airbender was really a message to show that you can throw a piece of shit on a screen and make money.

At no point does American Psycho feel like a horror movie. It's so clearly an 80s yuppie culture satire and black comedy. It's as much of a horror movie as Freddy's Dead or something.

I fully agree. Yet I know several people who didn't pick up on those things.

Horror themes plus comedy seem to confuse people. Cabin in the Woods also comes to mind.

strobogo

Banned
I wonder if those people think Army of Darkness is a horror movie. AP is awesome. And one of the best set of extras on any DVD.

Goldrush

For those asking about Sucker Punch interpretation

Why you are wrong about sucker punch part 1

WHy you are wrong about sucker punch part 2

Moviebob attempts to explain Sucker Punch.

I Have never watched the movie and cannot comment on the movie itself but he does a decent enough job explaining one of the interpretations that has been mentioned already in this thread.

Agree with most of it except the message regarding feminism. I don't think one was intentional beyond lampooning the sex action hero genre. Though I guess that would be up to how one would interpret the cut ending. Considering it was an 11th hour cut due to studio interference and explicitly used sex as a form of empowerment, I definitely would like to see the video to incorporate that.

Man, I hated Signs and now I want to watch it again.

But the main problem with Shyamalan movies is that all this movies are based in a "surprise" plot twist near the end. It worked well in The Sixth Sense but after that the audience already expects it every time.

I actually feel the opposite about his early movies, I still rewatch 6th Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and the Village. I honestly enjoy those movies and the atmosphere they create,

Something happened after that though, I stopped enjoying his output.

xbhaskarx

from that thread...
Disney's Planes:

So many people think this movie is about an underdog contender going against the odds and following his dreams. Its not about that at all.

Its a story about a company who no longer cares about creative genius and knows they could sell a pile of shit and still make money, so they do.

sangreal

"The Grey" is just a big allegory for purgatory. I thought this was pretty obvious, but there was a lot of controversy over the unrealistic behavior of the "wolves"

Dead

well not really...yet
Agree with most of it except the message regarding feminism. I don't think one was intentional beyond lampooning the sex action hero genre. Though I guess that would be up to how one would interpret the cut ending. Considering it was an 11th hour cut due to studio interference and explicitly used sex as a form of empowerment, I definitely would like to see the video to incorporate that.
looking at the entire scope of the movie, from the extended cut, to the director's originally intended ending (the one no one has seen), etc, I think those video's are for the most part right on the money.

Starship Troopers was just too ahead of its time with its political viewpoint. Imagine if it came out in the run up to the Iraq War, it almost would have been too obvious.

Philip K. Dick was a fairly ardent right winger, he probably believed in the nationalistic themes of that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom