• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mizzou vigil goes horribly wrong after speaker makes it about race

Status
Not open for further replies.

knkng

I agree. But it's never 'the right time.'it doesn't help the situation. But neither has anything else. So it's no loss to me.

Well as long as you're not bothered by it, then fuck the mourners, right? Their reasons for being there were clearly illegitimate, as she claimed, since they were just a bunch of white fags. Who are they trying to kid? Bunch of glory hogs just there to pat themselves on the back.

Now her intentions? Clearly they were to bring light to her cause and not just draw attention to herself out of some sick ego-maniacal purpose.

“I was really nervous to get up here because there’s a lot of white people in the crowd. And that wasn’t a joke.”.

“It is like, who are you really here for?” she said.

How can you not respect that.

FartOfWar

Banned
anyone who stopped listening then never respected her in the first place.

Lol. Anyone can easily go from, 'Here's a young gay person of color; someone like us, someone like those who were massacred in Orlando" to "Wait, why is she saying shes afraid because there are white people attending the vigil? That doesn't make much sense and isn't appropriate here.' And it would be the same if a gay man stepped to the mic and said, 'I'm afraid. There are so many straight people here.' For someone who insists others aren't listening, your rationalizations suggest it's you who has his fingers in his ears.

knkng

they shouldn't. they have no reason to. it doesn't benefit them at all. and that's a big part of the problem!

There was a mass murder of gay people who the gay community is now trying to mourn. Going up to them and saying "Your intentions are insincere" is fucking gross.

This seriously makes me sick.

Cyframe

White LGBT members will talk about straight people, as if they don't understand what they go through, which is true. At the same time, white members of the LGBT community do not understand the intersection of race and how it's interlinked with being LGBT, the mindset can be very similar to straight people.

White LGBT members are making a call to make sure this is known as a gay hate crime, but race isn't mentioned, the majority of patrons at Pulse, especially on that night were mostly Latinx, Afro-Latinx, and African American, refusal to acknowledge those demographics makes you sound like straight people who consider the attack just a human issue.

Speaking personally as a member of the LGBT community (I'm Black) I absolutely will not go to predominately white spaces because they're full of racism. If now isn't the time to talk about the intersection of race, when is going to happen? When you look at the mortality rate of those who are PoC and LGBT their mortality rate is a lot higher than white members. That's due things like poverty, but on top of that systematic racism, and racism that comes from your own so called community adds another weight.

We literally have to create things like Latinx gay pride and Black gay pride because of racism. I could talk a lot about this.

I do not like the thread title though. It absolutely is about race. The title completely separates PoC who are part of the community.

Piecake

they shouldn't. they have no reason to. it doesn't benefit them at all. and that's a big part of the problem!

That's some nice spin.

Do you respect people who are disrespectful to you? Do you respect people who assume you are a racist and don't care about LGBT minorities even though you might based on your skin color? Why are you are you assuming that everyone there doesnt care? Why is the speaker? For all she knew, those people did care and were knowledgeable.

Just because the people don't respect her doesnt mean that they don't care about LGBT minority issues. And for those who werent aware, about the worst way to get them informed and to care is to insult them and call them an ignorant racist.

That tells me that she likely cares more about her ideology and feeling superior than actually changing anything. Either that, or she is just too stupid to realize that insulting people is not a good way to get more people to her side.

impirius

I, for one, applaud this bold new approach to the staid memorial service format. Mourners have had it far too easy for decades now.

"We gather here today to remember that every single one of you is inherently awful"

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
White LGBT members will talk about straight people, as if they don't understand what they go through, which is true. At the same time, white members of the LGBT community do not understand the intersection of race and how it's interlinked with being LGBT, the mindset can be very similar to straight people.

White LGBT members are making a call to make sure this is known as a gay hate crime, but race isn't mentioned, the majority of patrons at Pulse, especially on that night were mostly Latinx, Afro-Latinx, and African American, refusal to acknowledge those demographics makes you sound like straight people who consider the attack just a human issue.

Speaking personally as a member of the LGBT community (I'm Black) I absolutely will not go to predominately white spaces because they're full of racism. If now isn't the time to talk about the intersection of race, when is going to happen? When you look at the mortality rate of those who are PoC and LGBT their mortality rate is a lot higher than white members. That's due things like poverty, but on top of that systematic racism, and racism that comes from your own so called community adds another weight.

We literally have to create things like Latinx gay pride and Black gay pride because of racism. I could talk a lot about this.

I do not like the thread title though. It absolutely is about race. The title completely separates PoC who are part of the community.

Yeah i know how you feel.

FartOfWar

Banned

So you're saying there's some indication that the terrorist took race into account and that it wasn't his now documented hatred of gays (and possibly his own homosexuality)? I've only followed the story on NPR and Wapo so perhaps you can share some sources? Was he a white supremacist?

SmugSnake

Neo Member

Is there evidence that the attack was motivated by race though? Everything I've seen just points to homophobia.

dave is ok

aztek is ok

commedieu

Banned
Well as long as you're not bothered by it, then fuck the mourners, right? Their reasons for being there were clearly illegitimate, as she claimed, since they were just a bunch of white fags. Who are they trying to kid? Bunch of glory hogs just there to pat themselves on the back.

Now her intentions? Clearly they were to bring light to her cause and not just draw attention to herself out of some sick ego-maniacal purpose.

“I was really nervous to get up here because there’s a lot of white people in the crowd. And that wasn’t a joke.”.

“It is like, who are you really here for?” she said.

How can you not respect that.
I didn't say fuck the mourners. Nor did I say I respect her. I specifically responded to her inability to sell a message. Which shouldn't need to be sold to begin with. Or be brought to light, or any of those pop phrases.

It's no loss, as many have tried from all walks of life to continually be marginalized. I've already said it's bad form. But I will not pretend that the message is received when its presented with more tact. I've also said she will probably regret this as well. It's unfortunate as our two groups need to unite imo. As we all share the same burden in the usa. But it's no damage in my eyes, in my opinion, because the message is always ignored.

I'm sad for the victims. And I'm sick of this. The lgbtq community is consistently fucked over, as others are. Don't confuse me for someone that is endorsing a 19 year old who probably hasn't even seen roots. But the message she attempted, is always ignored in the usa. No matter the messenger, the word use, eloquence, or attire. Our country has severe problems with racism/homophobia/general bigotry, and It is boiling over due to being dismissed. People are getting stupid with frustration.

I'm more upset that a person has ruined a memorial, than I am about the damage to the messaging. I understand the frustration that results in these feelings though. It is a shame.

zeemumu

the best time is always when nobody is around to listen

any other time may inconvenience anyone within earshot

Or when it's not a group in mourning. Do you think it'd be wise to organize a memorial or funeral and when people show up to mourn you start telling them off? There are plenty of times to have that discussion but this vigil was not one of them.

We have 50 people, mostly gay men, massacred as a direct result of internalized male homophobia.

And she, someone who is neither gay, nor male, takes it upon herself to declare that the real issue is something else entirely. In the span of two minutes, she makes it absolutely clear that she has no actual interest in the issues facing gay men, and that she only seeks to use this as a springboard for things that she's personally invested/interested in.

This shit isn't ok when it's white people going #alllivesmatter and try to change the subject, and it's not ok here.

Thank you for this post

knkng

I didn't say fuck the mourners. Nor did I say I respect her. I specifically responded to her inability to sell a message. Which shouldn't need to be sold to begin with. Or be brought to light, or any of those pop phrases.

It's no loss, as many have tried from all walks of life to continually be marginalized. I've already said it's bad form. But I will not pretend that the message is received when its presented with more tact. I've also said she will probably regret this as well. It's unfortunate as our two groups need to unite imo. As we all share the same burden in the usa. But it's no damage in my eyes, in my opinion, because the message is always ignored.

I'm sad for the victims. And I'm sick of this. The lgbtq community is consistently fucked over, as others are. Don't confuse me for someone that is endorsing a 19 year old who probably hasn't even seen roots. But the message she attempted, is always ignored in the usa. No matter the messenger, the word use, eloquence, or attire. Our country has severe problems with racism. It is boiling over due to being dismissed.

I'm more upset that a person has ruined a memorial, than I am about the damage to the messaging. I understand the frustration that results in these feelings though. It is a shame.

Ok then, I think I was just misinterpreting what you were saying. Sorry about that.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with bringing up the issue, and even doing so at the vigil could have worked had she taken a better approach. Perhaps I am naive, but I believe she could have even received a very positive response had she just removed the insults. However, as it stands all I see some woman using this opportunity as some twisted open-mic-night routine to satiate her ego.

And yeah, I put myself in the shoes of the mourners and my blood just starts to boil.

+1. Tact has delivered the world we are currently in. All the guidelines of "how to do things by my standards from the couch," have been followed. Yet. Still the same identical outcome.

It would be the same dismissal if she had an event specifically for her message. As we've seen. Never a good time.

This country gives no shits about the lgbt community. As we see with bathroom bans and everyone trying their best to squirm out of acknowledging same sex marriage. A lot of frustration out there as many have followed the official guidelines. And yet.. little progress. Always a finger wag.

It's never the right time.

Oh come on, comparing this to other times people have said "it's not the right time" is a joke. 50 people got massacred and the people there are lending support. This isn't a situation of people putting off the issue. This just really isn't the fucking time to do that.

Dead Man

That absolutely sucks that you experience that, but the crime was not motivated by race. Their deaths did not happen because of race. They are a largely Latin group of victims, but I have seen nothing that indicates they were targeted by race, only by virtue of being the location they were in, a gay space. So yeah, bringing up racism the way she did is going to get people offside.

Risible

Hey, could she be any more condescending?

The look on her face when she says "I'm just gonna take a sec to list out some facts you probably don't know because you're white" literally couldn't be any more condescending.

Way to co-opt a tragedy, well done.

norm9

That absolutely sucks that you experience that, but the crime was not motivated by race. Their deaths did not happen because of race. They are a largely Latin group of victims, but I have seen nothing that indicates they were targeted by race, only by virtue of being the location they were in, a gay space. So yeah, bringing up racism the way she did is going to get people offside.

From the Latin nights I've been to, it's less about being Latin and more because of the music that's gonna be played.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You don't call into question people coming to a vigil that are there in good faith. It might be different if someone shows up that might have been connected with the death or causing problems, but that wasn't happening here.

"Who are you really here for?"

Is some tasteless shit that doesn't belong at a time of mourning.

The majority of the people killed at Pulse were Latino.

It was fucking Latin night.

What exactly is this woman trying to say?

Exactly what I was thinking. Why is a vigil dedicated to mourning victims that were largely a racial minority the place to accuse people of not paying attention to non-white members of LGBT?

She's right in that we tend to get the short end of the stick, but the optics at display here are abysmal.

LosDaddie

Banned
She's not brave. Her supporters aren't brave. In fact, what she said was racist.

People were there to pay tribute and mourn the loss of a minority community within a minority community. She said she was nervous getting on the stage. What did she have to be nervous about? Absolutely nothing.

A Vigil really aint the place to be doing anything other than mourning. I don't really see the point of trying to bring race into this when there isn't a discussion happening.

99% of the time I dont give a shit about the "right time" when people want to talk about race but this is the 1%. Quite literally, no one is trying to talk about the implications of social issues at a vigil.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There's a video linked at the original source. Even if you don't believe the article there's a video.

People literally mentioned this below his post. He was right to call attention to wanting a better source. Some of us aren't in a place to a video at all times which is why having an article written with the least amount of bias is preferable.

Galang

Banned
Only one minute in, but my mouth is dropped the entire time. This is NOT the time or place to be making these comments in this way.. how fucking disrespectful. She was super condescending from the very very first fucking line. Wow... Edit: Not saying she doesn't have a point, but she could have made a speech without being a complete ass from the jump and still paid respect to the victims. This is not how you make a change.

Dawg

i wouldn't go that far, but i don't see the OP video as being too far.

Sorry for saying this, but posts like this make me sick. This tragedy that struck the LBGT community affects everyone. Every race. The implication that white gay people don't really care about the latinos that died is so despicable.

Can we please stop acting like every white person is racist?

Lord Fagan

I live in Columbia, and after this and the protests last year, I can tell you this is very much a side effect of the demographics of this part of Missouri.

This city has roughly 30,000 students out of a population of about 100,000. A vast majority of those enrolled are not from here, they come from all over the world. However, the city is over 80% white, and let's not sugarcoat it, there's an ugly history of racism in the state, period.

Those facts being what they are, I can understand everything in this story, and why it happened. I don't condone it, but I also don't condemn it. A lot of minorities feel like outsiders here (most of the student minorities actually are outsiders), but it's important to acknowledge that Columbia is a central Missouri enclave of a liberal bent surrounded by super conservative rural counties. The people who reside here, especially the faculty who work at the University and other colleges here, do so PRECISELY because it's not as conservative. So yeah, it feels awful when you're lumped into a historical and cultural shitpile of the last century by youth who probably won't give our fair city a second thought when they graduate and leave.

It makes white people here feel terrible, we know it's a terrible look, but the simple reality is that sometimes there's just no convincing some folks with an axe to grind that you care and are on their side, especially when a mostly white city is brow beaten for showing up to grieve for a predominantly Hispanic community. If people didn't care, they wouldn't have shown up.

I don't think this undergrad is wrong for having these views, and for discussing them publicly, but she was grandstanding at a vigil, and that only undercuts the legitimacy of her arguments. There are other times and places available to address them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom