• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Branduil

http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_09_06_a_ketchup.html

There are five known fundamental tastes in the human palate: salty, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami. Umami is the proteiny, full-bodied taste of chicken soup, or cured meat, or fish stock, or aged cheese, or mother's milk, or soy sauce, or mushrooms, or seaweed, or cooked tomato. "Umami adds body," Gary Beauchamp, who heads the Monell Chemical Senses Center, in Philadelphia, says. "If you add it to a soup, it makes the soup seem like it's thicker—it gives it sensory heft. It turns a soup from salt water into a food." When Heinz moved to ripe tomatoes and increased the percentage of tomato solids, he made ketchup, first and foremost, a potent source of umami. Then he dramatically increased the concentration of vinegar, so that his ketchup had twice the acidity of most other ketchups; now ketchup was sour, another of the fundamental tastes. The post-benzoate ketchups also doubled the concentration of sugar—so now ketchup was also sweet—and all along ketchup had been salty and bitter. These are not trivial issues. Give a baby soup, and then soup with MSG (an amino-acid salt that is pure umami), and the baby will go back for the MSG soup every time, the same way a baby will always prefer water with sugar to water alone. Salt and sugar and umami are primal signals about the food we are eating—about how dense it is in calories, for example, or, in the case of umami, about the presence of proteins and amino acids. What Heinz had done was come up with a condiment that pushed all five of these primal buttons. The taste of Heinz's ketchup began at the tip of the tongue, where our receptors for sweet and salty first appear, moved along the sides, where sour notes seem the strongest, then hit the back of the tongue, for umami and bitter, in one long crescendo. How many things in the supermarket run the sensory spectrum like this?

According to science, Heinz Ketchup is objectively the best condiment.

turnbuckle

I wish I had more for dinner than crackers tonight. maybe ill put some mustard on them.

where is the drunk thread? what do you talk about in a dunk thread ? go tigers

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I wish I had more for dinner than crackers tonight. maybe ill put some mustard on them.

where is the drunk thread? what do you talk about in a dunk thread ? go tigers
GfyZuGt.jpg

first, go team ketchup. scientifically proven to be better.
second, fuck the NBA. boring ass.... whatever it is that they do. sell sneakers to kids or something. that's why NBA-GAF is worst GAF.
third, a podcast would be real cool. like a mix of sabermetricians and yankeehater.

my friends, I fear that my time on this forum will soon come to an end. Sony it seems will announce their next console and that means that console.....commoners will be coming out of the woodwork and proclaiming this and that about console superiority.

I know i'm going to read something that contains the words "optimization" "secret sauce" "comfy couch gaming" and "$3,000 dollars" and will blow a gasket. I know I should be above it but dang it, I just can't. well by February 20th pitchers and catchers report anyway.
I'd rather talk about next-gen condiments.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So Baseball Today is ending next week.

Gonna be replaced with Baseball Tonight hosted by Buster Olney. No more Keith Law, Mark Simon, or Eric Karabell.

This sucks. The daily podcast during the season was something I'd look forward to at work right after it was published.

So my two favorite baseball podcasts have both gone kaput in the last 5 months. Any suggestions?

What the fuckkkkkkk.

First up and in and now this. God fucking dammit.

harSon

Banned
http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_09_06_a_ketchup.html

According to science, Heinz Ketchup is objectively the best condiment.

So you're basically saying that Pittsburgh is the greatest city in the United States? :D

The Pirates avoided arbitration with both Neil Walker and James McDonald. Walker agreed to a 1-year, $3.3 million deal. McDonald agreed to a 1-year, $3.025 million deal.

The Pirates now have no more pending cases and currently have a 2013 payroll of $55,650,000.

We should have given McDonald half of that since he went HAM for the first half of the season, and then decided to throw every game thereafter.

Talon

Actually, yes. We weren't as mean to outsiders, though. And you didn't see MLBGAFfers accuse people of watching less baseball than themselves as if it means anything. That's the most annoying thing about NBA GAF. 30% of it is just people accusing other people of not really liking the NBA.
HOW DO I KNOW YOU'RE A REDS FAN?

HMMM....?

The Cardinals have avoided arbitration with Marc Rzepczynski, agreeing to a 1-year, $1.1 million deal. David Freese is the only pending case remaining.

Caribbean World Series starts today if anyone needs their baseball fix pronto. New stadium hosting the games. Ur goin down Heart Attack and clemenx!!

Because a MLB gaf podcast would just be shitty memes and Yankees fans jerking each other off. And Frankman making Wrestling references that no one gets.
tumblr_m7mp93PiUI1rq09g4o1_250.gif

Hot sauce is objectively the best hot dog condiment. But if I had to choose ketchup or mustard, it's mustard by a landslide.
You communist...
I'd be all for a podcast, as long as there are no Mest fans.
pC8jf5t4eWCDKcMu.jpg

I'd smack the wiener right out of your hand.
IYjbe.gif

jakncoke

Banned
I had a dream the Pirates traded Andrew McCutchen to the Phillies for Dontrelle Willis last season.

Hold me, I'm so scared.

I fucking hate your dreams.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't. It depends if Cole has any impact on this season (it's clear our pitching staff can't be effective an entire season, depth will def help us in that regard), and if people like Marte and Travis Snider progress. Also, if McDonald is still phased by last season.

Too much optimism

But what if the Barry Bonds curse doesn't lift until he gets enough HOF votes?
:(

Anybody think the Pirates will have a winning season this year?

Sure as fuck hope so, If we don't make it soon(relative, think we're still about 15 years out on this tragedy) . We'll be starting to advance towards a territory where you can add up the 2nd and 3rd worst losings together to match Pirates.

Wait, why is Baseball Today ending? That really stinks.

Reds sign Manny Parra! I feel sorry for you, can't believe he got a major league contract.

Of course he will probably turn it around and have a fantastic season in order to spite and frustrate Brewers nation.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Actually, yes. We weren't as mean to outsiders, though. And you didn't see MLBGAFfers accuse people of watching less baseball than themselves as if it means anything. That's the most annoying thing about NBA GAF. 30% of it is just people accusing other people of not really liking the NBA.
Well what can you say. Truth begets paranoia. Nobody actually does like the nba.

Top Bottom