• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

rando14

The Padres have avoided arbitration with Chase Headley, agreeing to a 1-year, $8.575 million deal. Clayton Richard is their only pending case remaining.

The Mariners have avoided arbitration with Shawn Kelley, agreeing to a 1-year, $0.935 million deal. Mariners now have no more pending cases and currently have a 2013 payroll of $69,797,500.

lol and felix is like 1/3 of that

I feel like a trade isn't bad but if you lose two of those guys and then neither of the two you keep pans out over the next five years, you are back to having to pay a proven pitcher like Waino right away, anyway. I mostly lurk over at STL Today but people there will tell you that basically no prospect is worth giving up, for anyone. Probably because they saw Wainwright winning a WS for us after his trade from ATL.

Either way I say you keep all four of those guys and just keep trying to find/create/trade for that defensive SS. Unless you can get Lindor or someone like that for one of em. Mayybe then.
Well, every trade involving good prospects if fraught with risk on both sides. Especially with pitchers since injuries are so common. We shouldn't make a trade simply to change things up but it makes sense to deal from our starting pitching surplus to shore up our biggest weakness at the major league level.

I'm not at all opposed to keeping all 4 since our starting depth could easily wear out with a couple of injuries but the philosophy of keeping all your prospects and never dealing them is crazy. A smart GM is going to dump overrated prospects to get the most value out of them before the rest of the league finds out. 3 of those 4 guys are legit from everything I've read (I think there are some doubts for Wacha due to sample size) so I don't think we would necessarily be swindling anybody by trading them but keeping all that depth in AAA isn't going to help the team very much if our MI is tanking the team in July/August.

Is Cards Talk still a cesspool? :lol

bozeman

Well, every trade involving good prospects if fraught with risk on both sides. Especially with pitchers since injuries are so common. We shouldn't make a trade simply to change things up but it makes sense to deal from our starting pitching surplus to shore up our biggest weakness at the major league level.

I'm not at all opposed to keeping all 4 since our starting depth could easily wear out with a couple of injuries but the philosophy of keeping all your prospects and never dealing them is crazy. A smart GM is going to dump overrated prospects to get the most value out of them before the rest of the league finds out. 3 of those 4 guys are legit from everything I've read (I think there are some doubts for Wacha due to sample size) so I don't think we would necessarily be swindling anybody by trading them but keeping all that depth in AAA isn't going to help the team very much if our MI is tanking the team in July/August.

I think 2013 is a wash. I'm not saying the Cards won't compete but no way would I give up what we've got going for 2014 and beyond just to make a run this season, especially if the Reds are running away with the division again. Beyond 2014, SS will be the only position we need to seek out help.

1B: Craig, Adams, Carpenter
2B: Wong
3B: Freese, Carpenter
LF: Holliday
CF: Jay
RF: Tavaras

And all those solid arms on the pitching staff. No way I mortgage that for a rental shortstop. Heck, with a lineup of Jay, Tavaras, Holliday, Craig, Freese, Molina, and Wong, we could just let Descalso be a defensive shortstop, hit him 8th, and whatever he does at the plate is just gravy.

RBH

jackie_robinsons_94th_birthday-1015005-hp.jpg

aFIGurANT

When they're not making Pujol$ jokes or mocking their own tendencies, yeah definitely. But on game day it can be sorta fun I admit. I wish that something cool came out of the interview that Mozeliak did for MLBN today, but pretty much all he said was that the cards will go internal for any fix but he's not so set on that philosophy as to say "never" to the pitching surplus.

And all those solid arms on the pitching staff. No way I mortgage that for a rental shortstop. Heck, with a lineup of Jay, Tavaras, Holliday, Craig, Freese, Molina, and Wong, we could just let Descalso be a defensive shortstop, hit him 8th, and whatever he does at the plate is just gravy.
Oh, I definitely agree that we shouldn't give up anything substantial for a rental. But a package based around one or two of those guys for a younger guy we could extend, like say, Elvis Andrus? Or a hot SS prospect like Lindor? /pipedream

When they're not making Pujol$ jokes or mocking their own tendencies, yeah definitely. But on game day it can be sorta fun I admit. I wish that something cool came out of the interview that Mozeliak did for MLBN today, but pretty much all he said was that the cards will go internal for any fix but he's not so set on that philosophy as to say "never" to the pitching surplus.
Even without the knee-jerk reaction posts and trolling, the resolution of the forums is annoying. It's like they expect everybody is still using 800x600 or something. Then the sidebars and ads make it even worse.

Jon

Mets signed LaTroy Hawkins to a minor league/spring training deal. Guess they aren't discussing things with Brian Wilson any longer.

Phillies need to sign him to complete the worst off-season of this millennium. He can dye his beard RED.

Durbin in the 7th, Wilson in the 8th, Papelbon in the 9th!

Maybe they can invent some cool, three-way handshake after all the scoreless outings they post.

Macattk15

BFIB

I thought 2 days ago the doctors said A-Rod was healing better than expected?

Either way, the Yankees should be forced to pay that ridiculous contract. It seems everyone knew this would happen except for them.

Talon

Phillies need to sign him to complete the worst off-season of this millennium. He can dye his beard RED.

Durbin in the 7th, Wilson in the 8th, Papelbon in the 9th!

Maybe they can invent some cool, three-way handshake after all the scoreless outings they post.
Is Dan Kolb available? Bob Wickman?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It's sad that 7/11/11/11 is too rich for the Braves' blood, but even if they could have extended him, this was still a good trade.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Sounds like the dbacks wouldn't have traded Upton without getting Prado in the deal anyway. Great contract for the dbacks though.

Home sick and watching Hot Stove...this is terrible.

"Joe Maddon is definitely the face of the Rays. He tweets...he does everything." - Harold Reynolds

I was home for a week being Mr. Mom when my wife was sick around this time last year, wound up watching MLB Network all day (Australian Baseball League finals FTW, go Perth Heat, lol). Clubhouse Confidential was pretty decent (although the way they had to explain the same advanced metrics every single day got annoying) but Hot Stove was just horrid. Such a waste of time. I really wish they would just show old games all day or something during the offseason.

The Reds have avoided arbitration with Chris Heisey and Alfredo Simon. Heisey signed a 1-year, $1.325 million deal. Simon signed a 1-year, $0.9 million deal. The Reds still have pending cases with Homer Bailey, Mat Latos, Mike Leake, and Shin Soo-Choo.

aFIGurANT

I was home for a week being Mr. Mom when my wife was sick around this time last year, wound up watching MLB Network all day (Australian Baseball League finals FTW, go Perth Heat, lol). Clubhouse Confidential was pretty decent (although the way they had to explain the same advanced metrics every single day got annoying) but Hot Stove was just horrid. Such a waste of time. I really wish they would just show old games all day or something during the offseason.

You need to watch the two-hour version when it airs in the afternoon before Intentional Talk and CC. They'll always include the interviews with players alongside the good half of the banter/personality "analysis." Overall they have a pretty good lineup of shows for the offseason imo.

CygnusXS

Avilan? Interesting. I know he has a good arm but I didn't know he was that well sought after. Maybe teams see him as a future starter.

Makes me wonder what the team could get for him straight up (or for EOF for that matter).

turnbuckle

So Baseball Today is ending next week.

Gonna be replaced with Baseball Tonight hosted by Buster Olney. No more Keith Law, Mark Simon, or Eric Karabell.

This sucks. The daily podcast during the season was something I'd look forward to at work right after it was published.

So my two favorite baseball podcasts have both gone kaput in the last 5 months. Any suggestions?

turnbuckle

The only baseball podcast I listen to is CAC's, but I also would be interested in some new ones.

I've been avoiding listening to team-specific podcasts (insert joke about ESPN bias here) but I might have to go down that road. Shame MLB Network only has Intentional Talk on Itunes. I enjoy that even if it's pretty mindless, but not having something to counter balance it may result in my brain melting to a point where I'm arguing in favor of RBIs and shitting all over WAR come the all-star break. :/

JABEE

Gonna be replaced with Baseball Tonight hosted by Buster Olney. No more Keith Law, Mark Simon, or Eric Karabell.

This sucks. The daily podcast during the season was something I'd look forward to at work right after it was published.

So my two favorite baseball podcasts have both gone kaput in the last 5 months. Any suggestions?

Ugh. Terrible

CygnusXS

I've been avoiding listening to team-specific podcasts (insert joke about ESPN bias here) but I might have to go down that road. Shame MLB Network only has Intentional Talk on Itunes. I enjoy that even if it's pretty mindless, but not having something to counter balance it may result in my brain melting to a point where I'm arguing in favor of RBIs and shitting all over WAR come the all-star break. :/

There's probably an advantage to listening to team specific podcasts in that they can go much more in depth and understand their teams better than national writers likely would or could.

harSon

Banned

Pretty excited about the Pirates' crop of players. Cole and Tailon are going to be a formidable 1-2 punch. And hopefully Hanson continues to develop at SS and isn't forced to switch positions. Polanco came out of nowhere, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Luis Heredia (surprised he's not on it right now) and Josh Bell (assuming he bounces back from injury) made the lists the next go around.

At least our farm system is looking fairly solid.

turnbuckle

There's probably an advantage to listening to team specific podcasts in that they can go much more in depth and understand their teams better than national writers likely would or could.

For sure, I just like hearing about the other teams and league news too. It's why I miss UP and In so much. They could talk about beer, music, and bad neighbors for half the podcast and I'd still learn a ton about different teams' prospects. That's the kind of stuff I prefer listening to than reading about unless we're talking true phenom-level prospects.

It'd help if I had a team that consistently had an interesting farm system, but I'd rather hear about how awesome some 16 year old kid from Cuba for another team than Tiger's org filler catcher #4. Of course, Up and In did some interviews with Tigers org filler that were excellent, but I doubt I'm going to find anything close to that compelling with a homercast. :(

- Alright, listening to TigsTown #53 right now. Let's see what they have to say about Avisail Garcia. Goddamn they need new mics.

Fffffffuuuuuuuu

And yeah, listening to team-specific podcasts will give you more in-depth information but I can't really queue up 30 podcasts every day. (OK to be fair I'm not dying to hear the daily ins-and-outs of Astros baseball. But still.) Baseball Today was a nice way to recap the day.

So it appears A-Rod's career may actually be over after all.
Hahahaha. Leaving $114 million on the table would go way beyond "noble" deep into "monumentally stupid" territory. It would be the stupidest thing he's done, which is obviously saying something. Lord knows I'd hobble out and throw a baseball in the backyard every two weeks if it forced the Yankees to pay me $114 million.

Also, only posting this here in case it comes in handy this season:

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.co...tory/news-salt-city-1200-feet-beneath-detroit

Did you go to Ohio? Ohio is kind of our rival school.

Top Bottom