• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.askcorran.com/giantsseinfeld.gif[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibcDKiWtEOEdd8.gif[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Zz3Q5.gif[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uftNZ.gif[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xMH1v.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

[img]https://i.minus.com/ikgZDCkF3Qzlv.gif

5oPXL.gif

After watching the whole playoffs, the NL is clearly vastly superior to the AL. I would honestly take any of the 5 NL playoff teams over any of the 5 AL playoff teams. The best team in baseball for the overall season was probably the Reds IF Votto and Cueto had been healthy. Then the Nats with Strasburg. Then the Giants. Though the Giants obviously caught fire at the end, possibly team chemistry and great managing affected that.

What was with the love for the Tigers offense from the media? They have two big guys who can hit home runs. That doesn't make an entire offense. The Tigers were an 88 win team with the 16 best offensive team WAR in the regular season. The Giants were a 94 win team with the 5th best offensive team WAR.

really, as long as the yankees cover most of his contract I don't see why it would be such a horrible thing to have AROD. Is he the player he was in his prime, no. Is he overall at least a decent third basemen yes. He sure as hell isn't worth the money he is getting, but if the yankees were to eat 90% of that contract he would be come a 2.5mil a year third baseman, which I wouldn't mind seeing my team pick up.
I'm pretty much basing that on what I saw from him during the postseason. I never watched a Yankees game during regular season so I don't know how A-Rod performed during it. I'm sure he's decent but I just don't think he'll be the right fit for the Dodgers. I could see ownership going after him hard though because they want to be the west coast Yankees and he's a big name.

If a team did want to pick him up though, are the Yankees basically forced to eat the rest of his contract?

zulux21

If a team did want to pick him up though, are the Yankees basically forced to eat the rest of his contract?

only possible way I see the yankees trading arod and not eating most of the rest of his contract is if they also include their top 5 maybe even 10 prospects with arod lol (at 10 they might get another team to eat his contract... might)
Arod is 37 and will turn 38 during next season
he will make 28mil base, plus more if he hits 13 or more home runs next season and even assuming a rebound year will likely not get more than 4 WAR
he is under contract through 2017 at the following amounts
2013: 28mil
2014: 25 mil
2015: 21 mil
2016: 20 mil
2017: 20 mil

if you get lucky and he gets his heavy home run swing back and over that time frame he hits 116 home runs or 23.2 home runs per season on average you will also have to pay him 30 mil extra in bonuses or an average of 6 mil more per season. ($30m in marketing bonuses for HR milestones from 660 HR to 763HR which means that once he hits 660, or 13 more home runs from where he is he starts getting part of that 30mil I just don't know at what rate)

The thing is of course that given how much money arod is getting a lot more is expected from him which he likely just doesn't have it left in him to give due to his age. At some point he will reach the point where it would be better for the team to cut instead of leave on the field regardless to the money, some yankees fans I know say he has already reached that point (I personally disagree) before he reaches that point it very well might be in the yankees best interest to try to trade arod and see if they can get someone to pick up 20-30% of his contract as if they could get someone to pick him up at them covering 70% that would save the yankees 34.2 mil over the next 5 years (even more if the yankees work it so it's a flat coverage and they won't be on the hook for marketing bonuses)

of course arod has 5/10 rights so if he doesn't want to be traded he can stop the yankees from trading him, though given the amount of hate the yankees fans give him, I wouldn't be surprised if arod could be talked into a trade to a few select teams.

XiaNaphryz

Rookie scout Pat Burrell made significant contribution scouting the Tigers:

One Giant who had a terrible 2010 World Series made a much bigger contribution this time, though he wears no uniform, carries no bat or glove, and does not set foot on the diamond.

Team officials say rookie scout Pat Burrell made a significant contribution reporting on the Tigers. Burrell, along with former Giants catcher and Detroit resident Brian Johnson, attended the American League Championship Series between the Tigers and Yankees and provided insights that helped the front office and field staff create a game plan for the World Series.

That includes how to pitch Tigers hitters, the tendencies of Detroit's pitchers and where to station the Giants on defense.

Burrell is part of a large team involved in the process, but several Giants officials say they have leaned heavily on information provided by Burrell, who has a unique perspective, having played so recently.

"Pat has done a really remarkable job all year helping out with advancing, but also here as we're playing a team we haven't seen," manager Bruce Bochy said.

Bochy acknowledged that rookie scouts rarely get an assignment as important as advancing the World Series, "but he's a huge baseball fan. He loves the game. Even as a player, he was always one of the first guys at the ballpark. When he wasn't playing, he studied the game. He's done a great job."

Burrell helped the Giants reach the 2010 postseason but batted .143 once they got there. He was hitless in the World Series and struck out 11 times in 13 at-bats.

Toward the end of the regular season, Burrell said he was not sure what he would do for the Giants in 2013 but said he loved scouting this season. A foot injury forced him to retire last year at 35.

The Machine still at work!

Posting Game 4 pics in here as opposed to the postseason thread

Pregame Part I
Pregame Part II
Pregame Part III

The First 9 Part I
The First 9 Part II (failed to upload initially)
The First 9 Part II
The First 9 Part III
The First 9 Part IV
The First 9 Part V
The First 9 Part VI

The Tenth Part I
The Tenth Part II

Giants Win Part I
Giants Win Part II

Postgame Part I
Postgame Part II
Postgame Part III

And as promised, the pic of me that was signed by Tim Kurkjian

XniTRl.jpg
wfF4Pl.jpg

Again, congrats to the Giants. They wanted it more and they deserved it

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Also is Jason Giambi really being considered for a manager position..

Grats Giants. Also, I hate you for beating the Cards, but that's baseball I guess. I feel less bad now that you stomped the Tigers. There was an in-game interview with Romo a few days ago, and having never really seen an interview with him, I was surprised by how personable he seemed to be. He actually seems like a really chill dude. I'm just sad that Pence won a ring... he seemed to always annoy the shit out of me when he was with the Astros for reasons I cannot really remember or explain.

Anyway, here's to a long, slow, and cold off-season. When is the first day of spring training?

XiaNaphryz

How can we mock Sabean if they're going to win so much

ALol :(

There was a recent USA Today article that tried to credit the Yankees for all the Giants success due to Sabean and the front office connections. And Righetti.

lol

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Will the Cardinals get a solid middle infielder? Will the Rays get some offense? Who will be the new manager for the Marlins? I want to say Leyland has a chance to be offered the position, unless he is currently in contract for a few years with Detroit.

Also, most importantly, is this the year I get my name added to the Rays and Cardinals in the OP?

BFIB

Will the Cardinals get a solid middle infielder? Will the Rays get some offense? Who will be the new manager for the Marlins? I want to say Leyland has a chance to be offered the position, unless he is currently in contract for a few years with Detroit.

Also, most importantly, is this the year I get my name added to the Rays and Cardinals in the OP?

Cards need to get middle infield help for sure. Does Mo stretch out and put a package together with a combo of players?

Not surprising on the Astros logo change. They tend to do this every 4-6 years and then scream how they are full of tradition.

And Robo, I hope you do get added for the Cards. That list is mighty short. :(

What is this awful feeling in my chest? Its like I've been sent back in time to high school and I watched the 2006 World Series again. This sucksssssssss

But congrats to the Gigantes.... except for to Pablo Sandoval, you fat fuck

BFIB

What is this awful feeling in my chest? Its like I've been sent back in time to high school and I watched the 2006 World Series again. This sucksssssssss

But congrats to the Gigantes.... except for to Angel Pagan, you arrogant fuck

Fixed for accuracy.

Parch

The hot streak. I don't know if there's a sport that involves the hot streak more than baseball. San Fran got hot at the right time, Detroit got cold, and that's that.
Never bet on baseball, because predictions and logic rarely applies.

The Yankees announced today they are exercising the 2013 club options of Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, and David Aardsma.

Fixed for accuracy.

I'll be screaming praise for Angel Pagan tomorrow when I get my free taco.

Then, I'll re-quote your post, agreeing with your sentiment from my tablet Wednesday morning when I'm regretting the decision to eat that gross ass "taco."

Giants potential free agents:
-- Jeremy Affeldt
-- Melky Cabrera
-- Aubrey Huff (2013 club option)
-- Guillermo Mota
-- Xavier Nady
-- Angel Pagan
-- Brad Penny
-- Freddy Sanchez
-- Marco Scutaro
-- Ryan Theriot

Tigers potential free agents:
-- Octavio Dotel (2013 club option)
-- Gerald Laird
-- Jhonny Peralta (2013 club option)
-- Anibal Sanchez
-- Jose Valverde
-- Delmon Young

zulux21

so... simple off seasons guesses from people
what team will spend the most on free agents?
what teams will be involved with the biggest trade of the off season?
what new rules will be adapted for the 2013 season?

see5harp

I think Giants need to make every effort to sign both Angel Pagan and Scutaro. If Hunter Pence doesn't ask for some ridiculous increase, I'd honestly be alright with paying $15 million for a sure thing in the outfield. Their pitching core is set. No need to fuck with the formula at all. Brian Wilson should be back come all star break and we'll have to see whether Romo is moved back to setup man.

XiaNaphryz

so... simple off seasons guesses from people
what team will spend the most on free agents?
what teams will be involved with the biggest trade of the off season?
what new rules will be adapted for the 2013 season?

Dodgers.
Dodgers.
Cards, Tigers, Rangers banned from postseason

I'd keep an eye on the Braves. Frank Wren already said they're going to be more aggressive than usual, although he did warn that they're more likely to sign two moderate-interest free agents than overpay for one premium free agent. With Derek Lowe's and Chipper Jones' contracts gone and the likely non-tendering of Jair Jurrjens, they have a ton of money to spend.

Top Bottom