• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

zulux21

gold glove finalists were posted
Here are the finalists at each position.

American League

Pitcher: Jeremy Hellickson, Jake Peavy, C.J. Wilson
Catcher: Alex Avila, Russell Martin, A.J. Pierzynski, Matt Wieters
First base: Adrian Gonzalez, Eric Hosmer, Mark Teixeira
Second base: Dustin Ackley, Robinson Cano, Dustin Pedroia
Shortstop: Elvis Andrus, J.J. Hardy, Brendan Ryan
Third base: Adrian Beltre, Brandon Inge, Mike Moustakas
Left field: Alex Gordon, Desmond Jennings, David Murphy
Center field: Austin Jackson, Adam Jones, Mike Trout
Right field: Shin-Soo Choo, Jeff Francoeur, Josh Reddick

National League

Pitcher: Bronson Arroyo, Mark Buehrle, Clayton Kershaw
Catcher: Molina, Miguel Montero, Carlos Ruiz
First base: Freddie Freeman, Adam LaRoche, Votto
Second base: Darwin Barney, Aaron Hill, Phillips
Shortstop: Zack Cozart, Ian Desmond, Jose Reyes, Jimmy Rollins
Third base: Chase Headley, Aramis Ramirez, David Wright
Left field: Ryan Braun, Carlos Gonzalez, Martin Prado
Center field: Michael Bourn, Andrew McCutchen, Drew Stubbs
Right field: Jay Bruce, Andre Ethier, Jason Heyward
Winners will be revealed during the 2012 Rawlings Gold Glove Award Announcement Show, airing on ESPN2 on Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. ET.

see5harp

Man the BYB writer for The Tigers is probably the worst writer on the SBNation staff. Grant Brisbee is the only funny writer on the entire staff.

Seguin

Banned
I have nothing against the Giants and was happy to see them win, but the Giants fans have to be the most obnoxious fanbase I've encountered on MLB-GAF

Giants potential free agents:
-- Jeremy Affeldt - resign
-- Melky Cabrera - lol
-- Aubrey Huff (2013 club option) - should just retire
-- Guillermo Mota - resign
-- Xavier Nady - AAA?
-- Angel Pagan - resign
-- Brad Penny - let him go
-- Freddy Sanchez - he might be done
-- Marco Scutaro - resign
-- Ryan Theriot - maybe?

Just my ideas. IDK.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'd keep an eye on the Braves. Frank Wren already said they're going to be more aggressive than usual, although he did warn that they're more likely to sign two moderate-interest free agents than overpay for one premium free agent. With Derek Lowe's and Chipper Jones' contracts gone and the likely non-tendering of Jair Jurrjens, they have a ton of money to spend.
I wonder if the Braves would match up with the Twins on a trade for Span or Revere.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I have heard they would be interested Josh Willingham. They've wanted him since he was with the Marlins.
Hmmmm. Interesting. I would rather trade Willingham than Span, but I'll be honest, the Mauer/Willingham/Morneau middle of the order was pretty sweet.

The Twins need pitching and infielders badly. I really wish their best prospects weren't years away. Hopefully Hicks starts the year in AAA. I'd like to see him tear it up there.

LOL FIELDER

Mets to trade Bay for King Felix during the offseason.

I haven't visited MLB-GAF enough to know whether this is serious or not

cYwHt.jpg

THIS IS OUR YEAR! YEAH! NEW UNIS AND ALL THAT SHIT, IT'S GONNA ROCK!!!111

Yes, welcome to the AL West :)

>:)

Brendan Ryan is the best defensive shortstop in the game

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The RF finalists in the AL are pretty hilarious. Reddick was worth a ridiculous +17.7 runs in right. Meanwhile, Francouer was worth -4.2, and Choo had a ghastly -17.0. Holy shit! I assume Frenchy & Choo made the list because they're good at throwing out runners? Twins fans thought Cuddyer was a great RF for this reason too. He wasn't.

Revere was worth +15.8 in about 400 less innings than Reddick. Not bad, Ben. Gold Gloves are kind of a joke, but I would've liked to see him recognized. I'm not surprised he didn't make it because he doesn't hit enough any dingers or throw out enough runners, but he's a beast in the field.

What if he has a similar season next year though like Ryan Braun? He's still a decent fielding outfielder that can maybe be gotten for a small price.

He won't. It's obvious Melky's sudden shift was due to PEDs. A player that was such garbage like he was for the Braves in 2010 doesn't suddenly become what he was the next year for the Royals.

Unless he tries to keep taking them, he will be his usual shit next year for whatever dumbass team that signs him.

Blearth

Banned
Giants potential free agents:
-- Jeremy Affeldt 2/8
-- Melky Cabrera 2/18
-- Aubrey Huff Gone
-- Guillermo Mota Gone
-- Xavier Nady Gone
-- Angel Pagan 3/27
-- Brad Penny Gone
-- Freddy Sanchez Gone
-- Marco Scutaro 2/16
-- Ryan Theriot Gone

Use that extra revenue to get Greinke, Sabez!

Also, the Giants are finally free of Aaron Rowand's contact. Rowand was paid $12 million by the Giants this year to sit on his ass after getting cut by the Marlins in spring training.

Rowand is not entitled to a World Series ring because he was never on the roster

So GAF I've been having a question. The AL and NL now have an equal number of teams, right? I've heard people saying that this means interleague matches will be played more regularly throughout the season. Why is that the case? How did the first thing affect the second thing, because I can't see how they're related.

So GAF I've been having a question. The AL and NL now have an equal number of teams, right? I've heard people saying that this means interleague matches will be played more regularly throughout the season. Why is that the case? How did the first thing affect the second thing, because I can't see how they're related.

They aren't related at all. They made league parity so every team in a division could play the same amount of teams in another division (except for the stupid ass "rivarly" games, which they are keeping for some reason).

Blearth

Banned

I believe the amount of interleague games stays the same. They're just spread over the entire season instead of just one month.

The switch puts an odd number of teams (15) in each league. That means if they want every team to play on a given day, they are forced to use interleague.

A couple comparisons to past years: the Giants (at 105-73) are ranked 8th out of the 17 champions in the wildcard era (excluding the partial season). A little above average for a world series winner, and the 2nd best record of the last 5 champions.

Had the Tigers won, they would have been ranked 15th out of 17, ahead of the 2006 Cardinals and 2000 Yankees.

Ok that makes more sense to me now... than it did... Not Psycho made the most sense.

You forgot Jeff Sullivan.

I thought he's not on SBN staff anymore, just writing for Lookout Landing and Fangraphs. Also, Matthew is funny too

EDIT Miguel Olivo, Kevin Millwood, George Sherrill, and Oliver Perez now free agents. Olivo sucked, Millwood was pretty good, Perez was fixed and good, Sherrill never played. Go get 'em!

see5harp

That was for one game and people whined so much and started getting hostile I reverted back to my usual self.

So sorry trying to be excited for my team.

There were plenty of Giants fans in there that were just trying to have fun without being completely irritating. With what the Giants went through this post season (downs and then crazy ups) I just thought it was in poor taste to trashtalk. Hell, you actually tried to justify your obnoxious behavior. Well they won and I don't wanna harp on it. To be honest I found Syphon Filter 10x more annoying because he jumped on the bandwagon after the Giants completed the comback against the Cardinals.

There were plenty of Giants fans in there that were just trying to have fun without being completely irritating. With what the Giants went through this post season (downs and then crazy ups) I just thought it was in poor taste to trashtalk. Hell, you actually tried to justify your obnoxious behavior. Well they won and I don't wanna harp on it. To be honest I found Syphon Filter 10x more annoying because he jumped on the bandwagon after the Giants completed the comback against the Cardinals.

With what the Giants went through during the postseason and the regular season, Giants fans had EVERY reason to trashtalk. Between the Melky Cabrera thing, being behind in the NLDS and CS, the Giants were trash-talked by everybody and everybody said they were going to lose every single one of the series they appeared in.

Giants fans 100% earned their right to trashtalk everyone else.

see5harp

You forgot Jeff Sullivan.

Ok that makes more sense to me now... than it did... Not Psycho made the most sense.

I thought he's not on SBN staff anymore, just writing for Lookout Landing and Fangraphs. Also, Matthew is funny too

EDIT Miguel Olivo, Kevin Millwood, George Sherrill, and Oliver Perez now free agents. Olivo sucked, Millwood was pretty good, Perez was fixed and good, Sherrill never played. Go get 'em!

I guess I just meant of the writers covering the postseason games I was reading. I read a couple posts ni Lookout Landing and yea that guy is funny.

see5harp

With what the Giants went through during the postseason and the regular season, Giants fans had EVERY reason to trashtalk. Between the Melky Cabrera thing, being behind in the NLDS and CS, the Giants were trash-talked by everybody and everybody said they were going to lose every single one of the series they appeared in.

No one was giving the Giants a chance to win in the World Series, but plenty of people picked them to win the division and make it to the world series (at least at the start of the season). There's a difference between defending a very good team against attacks from fans, which none of the Tigers fans here were doing, and whatever it was that you were doing.

No one was giving the Giants a chance to win in the World Series, but plenty of people picked them to win the division and make it to the world series (at least at the start of the season). There's a difference between defending a very good team against attacks from fans, which none of the Tigers fans here were doing, and whatever it was that you were doing.

Too bad this wasn't the second half of the season and the playoffs where everybody was saying the Giants were going to fail and not do shit without Cabrera.

so the Astros move to the AL West and decide to change to a logo that looks a lot like the Rangers'?

Wonder if the Tigers will let Young go, move Fatty to DH where he belongs and get a real 3B?

Trash talk is one thing.

You were basically boasting of your own "powers" to give the "San Fran Gods" the title more than you were talking about the team. And then, how your "powers" wouldn't work next year. That's all about you.

You also said the Giants smoked Roy Halladay multiple times in 2010, when in reality Halladay and Lincecum both went 1-1 against each other in that series, and Halladay went 6 giving up 2 in game 5. Those were some epic matchups, so to bash Halladay there is annoying. Plus who hates on Halladay?

And you said you liked the Dodgers, so you clearly aren't a typical Giants fan.

Trash talk is one thing.

You were basically boasting of your own "powers" to give the "San Fran Gods" the title more than you were talking about the team. And then, how your "powers" wouldn't work next year. That's all about you.

You also said the Giants smoked Roy Halladay multiple times in 2010, when in reality Halladay and Lincecum both went 1-1 against each other in that series, and Halladay went 6 giving up 2 in game 5. Those were some epic matchups, so to bash Halladay there is annoying. Plus who hates on Halladay?

And you said you liked the Dodgers, so you clearly aren't a typical Giants fan.

Holy shit, people actually took this shit seriously, hahahaha.

And I trashtalked Halladay because it was another pitcher that people said was unhittable, but Giants had no problem with him at all. Then Cliff Lee turned out to be a joke.

And of course I like the Dodgers. There's no reason to hate on the Dodgers. The AL is the ultimate enemy for Giants fans.

see5harp

Holy shit, people actually took this shit seriously, hahahaha.

And I trashtalked Halladay because it was another pitcher that people said was unhittable, but Giants had no problem with him at all. Then Cliff Lee turned out to be a joke.

And of course I like the Dodgers. There's no reason to hate on the Dodgers. The AL is the ultimate enemy for Giants fans.

Obviously no one was taking you seriously we're only pointing out the fact that you were annoying. I'm a Giants fan and I know I wasn't being an asshole. I do wish The Tigers made the series more interesting but I know they were trying to stay alive in Game 4.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
The early 2013 @BovadaLV World Series odds: Detroit 6-1, Yankees 7-1, Giants 10-1, Nats 12-1,TEX 12-1,Angels 12-1, PHI/STL/CIN/ATL all 14-1.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
The early 2013 @BovadaLV World Series odds: Detroit 6-1, Yankees 7-1, Giants 10-1, Nats 12-1,TEX 12-1,Angels 12-1, PHI/STL/CIN/ATL all 14-1.

Dodger odds must be pretty bad. Not surprised though their pitching staff sucks and there are no FA pitchers to go after.

McNei1y

I just watched all of Major League I and the second half of Major League II on TV. My dad was watching one so I watched it with him. Then as one ended, I started to search HBO and I saw II was already on so we finished that... Anyway, damn I miss watching baseball. Offseason baseball really is the worst time of the year.

Top Bottom