• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well as somebody who isn't a Brewers fan its neat to see them go for it now.

They had the best offense in the NL last year. Their SP after Gallardo - Estrada was looking pretty ugly, Lohse is a significant upgrade.

eznark

Banned
Fiers was about as good as Lohse last year. They gave the Cardinals a 17th round pick to sign another Suppan/Wolf. It's fucking idiotic no matter what team you root for.

Brewers replaced 24 year old Wily Peralta with 34 year old Kyle Lohse. The improvement is what, 3 games tops and it removes any of the upside that Peralta brings. It's fuck-awful.

lol damn Lohse waited about as long as possible to sign somewhere
That's how we originally signed him as well. One year deal out of ST before that premature 4 yr extension.

Compensatory draft pick at last!

They gave the Cardinals a 17th round pick to sign another Suppan/Wolf. It's fucking idiotic no matter what team you root for.
I think we just get a supplemental pick instead of your pick. Everyone in between moves up one slot. But yeah, giving up a mid first round pick for a marginal upgrade is risky business.

Him and his swelling meat-sheath.
Even without the injury it was an overpay. IIRC Mozeliak signed him to the four year deal early in the offseason right before the pitching market cratered. Waiting just a month or two would've saved us some money but we didn't read the market correctly.

3yr 33 mil

Brewers lose 17th pick. Cards get 28th pick.
Better than the Suppan contract but that isn't saying much lol. How Boras managed to get that kind of a deal this late in ST speaks volumes about the guy's skill.

eznark

Banned
Apparently Boras told Melvin to fuck off and negotiated exclusively with Attanassio.

I think this is a really telling and troubling move.

BFIB

Apparently Boras told Melvin to fuck off and negotiated exclusively with Attanassio.

I think this is a really telling and troubling move.

I think its a pretty solid move by the Brewers. Lohse knows the division, and for the past 2 seasons, has really been the hidden ace of the Cards staff.

His injuries were fluke ones, this could be a steal.

Gonna miss seeing him w/ the birds on the bat.

eznark

Banned
Holy fucking fuck.

Tom @Haudricourt
#Brewers manager Ron Roenicke: "If this goes through, there's going to be a lot going on here the next few days to figure (rotation) out."

So Attanasio didn't even clue in the personnel people before strapping on the Boras provided knee pads and going chin deep. Fucking awful.

His injuries were fluke ones, this could be a steal.

Gonna miss seeing him w/ the birds on the bat.
He's a better pitcher than most people believe he is but 3/33M for a 34 y.o. is unlikely to be a steal. I wouldn't have wanted him to re-sign for anything more than a one year deal with maybe a mutual option.

eznark

Banned
The Brewers gave up $34m AND the 17th overall pick to sign him. It's a massive spend on a 34 year old pitcher coming off a career year.

BFIB

He's a better pitcher than most people believe he is but 3/33M for a 34 y.o. is unlikely to be a steal. I wouldn't have wanted him to re-sign for anything more than a one year deal with maybe a mutual option.

My guess is maybe Boras was pushing for a one year deal, and Lohse refused without getting at least a few years?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Holy fucking fuck.

So Attanasio didn't even clue in the personnel people before strapping on the Boras provided knee pads and going chin deep. Fucking awful.
This is why I'm glad the Braves are owned by a non-interested corporation.

Back to school today after a break that wasn't nearly as fun or lengthy as I wanted it to be, then I see this news.

Melvin shouldn't be too thrilled if Boras overstepping him is true. Oh well, if we're in for the long haul, let's hope this particular piece of junk off the Cards scrap heap works out this time.

My guess is maybe Boras was pushing for a one year deal, and Lohse refused without getting at least a few years?
Oh, I'm sure Lohse is happy with it instead of going through this all again next offseason. I'm just speaking from a fan's perspective. I appreciated his tenure as a Card but 3 years is too much for a guy at his stage of his career.

The qualifying offer he turned down was 1/12M, right? Would've been embarassing to accept a deal worse than the one he rejected a few months prior.

Sanjuro

Jon Heyman saying Jackie Bradley Jr. will likely make the team.

m3FEX2D.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Sanjuro, I'm lazy so I don't want to go search. What was your method of fixing the new hats so they don't look stupid? I bought one of the new batting practice caps and it looks like shit. Need to get it ready for the season.

Sanjuro

Hey Sanjuro, I'm lazy so I don't want to go search. What was your method of fixing the new hats so they don't look stupid? I bought one of the new batting practice caps and it looks like shit. Need to get it ready for the season.

First, you bought a battling practice cap. I'm fairly certain they look like shit by default.

Second. I get the standard fitted 59Fifty baseball cap, however, look for the "low crown" option. You won't be able to find this commonly. I had to travel to Modell's, as they are the only retail store I have found to carry them. Otherwise, you should Google. They probably are available on the New Era site.

Third. If you are looking for it to get a little more snug on the top, hot or boiling water. This method is primarily for the stupid caps they sell now. Although, with the low crown it gives it still a closer fit. I only used hot sink water. Rinse the hat. Put on your head. Repeat a few more times until the crown looks standard.

For the people not familiar to what the hell I'm talking about, MLB changed the material in the baseball caps a few seasons ago. The caps used to be made out of wool, giving a fantastic fit after just wearing the cap normally. Once my ball cap reached about fifteen years old or so, the thing was just disgusting. Now the caps are made using polyester. They don't shrink/fade easily. Look incredibly stupid on your head...unless you are one of those sticker collectors who like them like that.

First, you bought a battling practice cap. I'm fairly certain they look like shit by default.

Second. I get the standard fitted 59Fifty baseball cap, however, look for the "low crown" option. You won't be able to find this commonly. I had to travel to Modell's, as they are the only retail store I have found to carry them. Otherwise, you should Google. They probably are available on the New Era site.

Third. If you are looking for it to get a little more snug on the top, hot or boiling water. This method is primarily for the stupid caps they sell now. Although, with the low crown it gives it still a closer fit. I only used hot sink water. Rinse the hat. Put on your head. Repeat a few more times until the crown looks standard.

For the people not familiar to what the hell I'm talking about, MLB changed the material in the baseball caps a few seasons ago. The caps used to be made out of wool, giving a fantastic fit after just wearing the cap normally. Once my ball cap reached about fifteen years old or so, the thing was just disgusting. Now the caps are made using polyester. They don't shrink/fade easily. Look incredibly stupid on your head...unless you are one of those sticker collectors who like them like that.

Those people are the worst in the world. As are these new hats. I was quite dismayed when the changeover occurred.

I cut the mesh out of my hats and soaked them in hot water to fit my large head.

G-Fex

I could use a hotdog with ketchup, mustard, and sauerkraut right now. Baseball needs to start now.

I can't wait for the season to start.

I am reading some books right now and I feel already well more informed than when I first came here. I'll be ready by April.

Watching the game now is almost completely different to me as I know what's going on.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I can't wait for the season to start.

I am reading some books right now and I feel already well more informed than when I first came here. I'll be ready by April.

Watching the game now is almost completely different to me as I know what's going on.
Still a Padres fan?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

Hey the new Twins BP cap looks nice.

I'll give the hot water a try tonight and see what I can do. Thank you.

McNei1y

my fantasy team blows (NL Only)

AJ Ellis - C
Anthony Rizzo - 1B
Jedd Gyorko - 2B
Andrelton Simmons - SS
Ryan Zimmerman - 3B
Andre Ethier - OF
Carlos Beltran - OF
Starling Marte - OF
David DeJesus - OF
Tyler Colvin - Corner Infield
Darwin Barney - Util

Bench
Yasmani Grandal - C
Laynce Nix - OF
Gerrardo Parra - OF
Didi Gregorious - SS

Clayton Kershaw
Wade Miley
Dan Haren
Julio Teheran
Chad Billingsley
Wily Peralta
Rafael Betancourt
Josh Collmenter
Drew Storen

Barry Zito (bench)

my fantasy team blows (NL Only)

AJ Ellis - C
Anthony Rizzo - 1B
Jedd Gyorko - 2B
Andrelton Simmons - SS
Ryan Zimmerman - 3B
Andre Ethier - OF
Carlos Beltran - OF
Starling Marte - OF
David DeJesus - OF
Tyler Colvin - Corner Infield
Darwin Barney - Util

Bench
Yasmani Grandal - C
Laynce Nix - OF
Gerrardo Parra - OF
Didi Gregorious - SS

Clayton Kershaw
Wade Miley
Dan Haren
Julio Teheran
Chad Billingsley
Wily Peralta
Rafael Betancourt
Josh Collmenter
Drew Storen

Barry Zito (bench)

Should of joined The Gaf Rejects league.

I try to avoid baseball discussion in the off-season, but I guess it's about time for the regular season to start.

So, Lohse gone? I'm a bit sad, I liked him. One of only one or two Native American MLB players, as a random factoid. Decent-to-above average pitcher, somewhat underrated. I'm not sure the Brewers got a great deal though on him. Decent deal, but probably not great.

Time for Joe Kelly to shine I guess. Here's to hoping Machine Gun Kelly / Clark Kent can get that 5th spot in the rotation.

Also, what the hell, KC has an almost .800 win percentage? I know it's the pre-season, but what the hell.

RBH

Usually opening day is one of the hottest tickets of the year for Major League Baseball teams. It’s the beginning of a new year and hope springs eternal that your team could win it all this year…unless you’re the Miami Marlins.

Things have gotten so bad for the Marlins and their ticket sales; the team is offering a Groupon deal for up to half off opening day tickets. The Marlins are even offering merchandise vouchers and free tickets to another game if fans buy opening day tickets.
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/03/25/marlins-desperate-for-ticket-sales-resort-to-groupon/

eznark

Banned
This news made my day. Can't wait to see the Brewers sitting at the bottom of the division :).

From your posts I gather that you don't know a whole lot about baseball so I guess I could understand how you would think this makes them worse...no, I guess I can't. He's an obvious upgrade and it gives them an extra year of control over Peralta. I guess you could say that losing the 17th pick this year somehow makes them more likely to be at the bottom of the division in five years but I'd say that's probably a stretch. So...I'm confused how adding three wins makes them more likely to be in last. Their payroll is $20m less than last year so they had room, it probably doesn't kill them going forward as Ramirez will be gone before Lohse starts to deteriorate (hopefully) freeing up some cash. It's not the worst thing in the world but I hate it anyway.

Bottom line though they are a better team now than yesterday if you want to talk standings.

Yeah, Lohse isn't bad by any means. He's been a good innings-eater and reliable in a pinch. The deal itself is what should bother people about this. Three years when we have a batch of young arms waiting in the wings? I know they struggled in Cactus League, but damn.

JABEE

Obviously, I'm just looking forward to seeing him play. I love catching prospects. They may also be hoping that he figures out how to not get hurt. Oh well. It's be interesting to see if he can come close to his 2012 numbers in a non PCL park.

What do you think of Tommy Joseph? Do you think he will be a starter in the Major leagues?

JABEE

Yeah, Lohse isn't bad by any means. He's been a good innings-eater and reliable in a pinch. The deal itself is what should bother people about this. Three years when we have a batch of young arms waiting in the wings? I know they struggled in Cactus League, but damn.

Giving up your first is also a steep price.

Sanjuro

Yeah, Lohse isn't bad by any means. He's been a good innings-eater and reliable in a pinch.

That's the only part I would disagree. A bit injury prone, has had a couple solid seasons behind his belt. Haven't been following Brewers in the ST. If they improved their bullpen at all, this addition should help them greatly.

BFIB

Like I said before, I hate seeing Lohse back in the division. He's put together two solid years that have been vastly overlooked.

Moving from a neutral park to a bandbox will hurt him some, but his control has been spot on the last two years.

IMO, the first two years of Lohse will be solid, the 3rd, not so much. But at the price of what pitching is nowadays, a mediocre Lohse at $11 mil might seem like a bargain compared to what the market could be in a few years.

If Valverde heads to the Brewers, we would have to get Ez's tag renamed to Jose Valverde Tramp Stamp.

Macattk15

If that stat from Jeff Dewan about players breaking out when their OPS is like .200 points greater than their career in ST is true ..... then Justin Smoak is gonna break the fuck out.

Same with Montero.

Fucking spring training Mariners setting me up for the ultimate hype failure.

rando14

If that stat from Jeff Dewan about players breaking out when their OPS is like .200 points greater than their career in ST is true ..... then Justin Smoak is gonna break the fuck out.

Same with Montero.

Fucking spring training Mariners setting me up for the ultimate hype failure.

I keep telling myself to not have any expectations, to just expect another sub .500 season, etc.

But then I see games like today (15-0 as of the 7th inning?! Are you fucking shitting me) and I just can't help but think we can hit .500.

Top Bottom