• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

eznark

Banned
What do you think of Tommy Joseph? Do you think he will be a starter in the Major leagues?

I like him as long as he can catch but he isn't a good catcher yet. He has a great arm and throws out a ton of guys though. Still young enough to figure that out. He's only like 20 right? I know the Giants tried him at first a bit but I don't think his bat plays there at all. He'll never hit well enough to be anything but a catcher.

Between him and Valle though it'll be interesting to watch that Lehigh team.

They'll have Rupp too in AA probably.

Lots of catching depth, reminds me of the Indians and Rangers 5 years ago. Hopefully it works out better for you!

lucius

MLB At Bat app went up to $20

Just in time for a bad upcoming Yankee season, at least I can follow Blue Jays games on it, unjuiced Melkman will still deliver

Zep

Banned
I try to numb the pain by not thinking about it. My younger brother doesn't understand sabermetrics yet so he's jazzed about WINZ BRO, but this whole day has been crap.

Don't waste his time. Break it down like this...You could either pay Lohse 33million or potentially draft a guy like Cole Hamels with that 17th pick. Bam. Now you don't have to bore him.

Well the contract numbers on Lohse aren't unreasonable at all in my opinion. He's a better pitcher than Suppan with the caveat that he stays healthy.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have done this contract. I probably would've gone after Edwin Jackson earlier in the off-season.

Losing the draft pick is the real killer. Although with Bruce Seid still running things it probably would've been wasted anyway.

I hope they're dropping Fiers from the rotation and not Peralta, but hey, he could use some work on his command if that's the route they want to go. Plus it delays his service clock.

We'll see. I don't love the move but I don't hate it like I see some of the other Brewer fans around the web.

eznark

Banned
No chance its Fiers.

Don't waste his time. Break it down like this...You could either pay Lohse 33million or potentially draft a guy like Cole Hamels with that 17th pick. Bam. Now you don't have to bore him.

Not everyone destroyed their brain cells huffing paint zep.

Can you play around 9 tonight?

Lohse's 3-year, $33 million deal with the Brewers has deferred money.

Lohse will make just $4 million in 2013, while making $11 million in 2014 and 2015. The remaining $7 million will be deferred payments from 2016-2018. Lohse will make $2.333 million from the Brewers in 2016, 2017, and 2018.

JABEE

I like him as long as he can catch but he isn't a good catcher yet. He has a great arm and throws out a ton of guys though. Still young enough to figure that out. He's only like 20 right? I know the Giants tried him at first a bit but I don't think his bat plays there at all. He'll never hit well enough to be anything but a catcher.

Between him and Valle though it'll be interesting to watch that Lehigh team.

They'll have Rupp too in AA probably.

Lots of catching depth, reminds me of the Indians and Rangers 5 years ago. Hopefully it works out better for you!

Thanks for the scouting report, ez.

I hope it works out for us too. The Phils are going to need players to step in sometime in the near future. Utley is a free agent after this season, and other players are getting older. There may be some drastic changes after this season, especially if Halladay goes in the tank. It's the last year of his contract too. Phillies will have a lot of money coming off the books. Too bad free agency is going to be awful from here on out. I wonder if we will ever see years with mega stars like Pujols and Fielder on the market again? I guess Hamilton counts, but he had a lot of baggage.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

I hope it works out for us too. The Phils are going to need players to step in sometime in the near future. Utley is a free agent after this season, and other players are getting older. There may be some drastic changes after this season, especially if Halladay goes in the tank. It's the last year of his contract too. Phillies will have a lot of money coming off the books. Too bad free agency is going to be awful from here on out. I wonder if we will ever see years with mega stars like Pujols and Fielder on the market again? I guess Hamilton counts, but he had a lot of baggage.
The way the Braves are going, Justin Upton and Heyward may both be FA in 3 years.

Phils are going to be terrible in another year or 2 no matter what. Hopefully once they hit rock bottom it wont take to long to turn things around. This year is looking like a good year though, so that is good at least.

Phils are going to be terrible in another year or 2 no matter what. Hopefully once they hit rock bottom it wont take to long to turn things around. This year is looking like a good year though, so that is good at least.

It's amazing that the one World Series the Phillies won came before they really started killing their farm system for trades. But I guess it's no coincidence since Ruben Amaro Jr. took over for Pat Gillick after 2008.

It's amazing that the one World Series the Phillies won came before they really started killing their farm system for trades. But I guess it's no coincidence since Ruben Amaro Jr. took over for Pat Gillick after 2008.

I think Amaro was in a tough spot, and outside of trading Lee, I dont think he really made any other bad moves. Obviously the hope with trading all the prospects was to win another WS before the team bottomed out. It doesnt look like that will be the case now but Ruben did get the team close a few times. MLB playoffs are just such a crapshoot. I would think most people would agree that the Phils were the best team the year they lost to the Cards, they win it all that year and everyone is saying what a genius Ruben is. I think what hurt the Phils the most is the FA pool has been reduced the last few years, and doesnt look to be any better next offseason. Rather then using money to fill holes they had to use prospects.

If you took away their horrible April, the Padres had a record of something like 18-to-20 games over .500. They were definitely good from May on. But their April was so terrible, they lost it there.

JABEE

That team was a much better hitting team. Amaro came in when Howard and Utley started declining and getting banged up. He made moves to get Lee and Halladay. The Lee move to Seattle was his biggest blunder. He should have kept both, but the Phillies had great teams in 2009, 2010, and 2011.

They were close to winning back-to-back World Series Championships.

2010 and 2011 were both seasons where the Phillies were just dominant regular season, and some part post season teams, that just had their offense fall apart against quality pitching. Especially in 2010. They clobbered the Reds. Charlie Manuel really blew the NLCS by bringing Roy Oswalt out of the bullpen before his first start of the series.

The Cardinals series. :( I don't even want to think about it. Lose to the eventual WS Champs in 5 games with Roy Halladay pitching a gem. The offense just couldn't beat Carpenter. I still can't believe that ball Utley hit to CF didn't go over.

At least I have 2008. There were so many missed opportunities though. I can't believe it fell apart so quickly. If Spring Training is any indication, Ryan Howard and Chase Utley are back in great form.

Howard hasn't been healthy for a long time. In 2010 he was playing on a bum ankle that he hurt against the Marlins I believe. Before that game, he was still a great player.

The reason Howard ruptured his Achilles tendon in Game 5 against the Cardinals is that he was playing on a seriously injured foot. He had a cortisone injection to reduce the pain enough for him to play, knowing that it greatly increased his chance for his Achilles to rupture. He shouldn't have did it, but I respect Ryan Howard. Whenever I see that strike-out, I don't laugh at it. I see someone that was trying their hardest to play through pain and help the Phillies win games. I think he's a great player that has had some bad luck and too short of a career, because he was blocked by Thome.

I'll always have respect for what Howard and Utley meant for the Phillies over the past 9 years.

RBH

Didn't see this posted yet:

Sports Illustrated editors make their picks for the upcoming season

Nationals are a popular WS pick. Hope Verducci is right about d'Arnaud winning NL ROTY. And as an aside, I really hope Trout vs. Harper doesn't become a thing I have to put up with for the next decade or so. This ain't the NBA.

Lol @ the Free Agent Flop section.

130325.10.jpg

rekameohs

Banned
The one thing about the Padres that will stand out as weak to me is their starting rotation. The numbers might look good in Petco, but there's just really not much talent in the Padres main 5. The lineup is definitely deceptively strong there, thoguh, as is the bullpen. There's certainly merit in picking them to win, but I just don't see their starting rotation being able to stack up in the strong NL West.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The one thing about the Padres that will stand out as weak to me is their starting rotation. The numbers might look good in Petco, but there's just really not much talent in the Padres main 5. The lineup is definitely deceptively strong there, thoguh, as is the bullpen. There's certainly merit in picking them to win, but I just don't see their starting rotation being able to stack up in the strong NL West.
I disagree. I think they have lots of starting pitching talent. It's just all on the DL.

lol @ the dude predicting the Padres Pennant. There is no way they can come out on top of the Dodgers, Giants, and even the Diamondbacks. Look at their fucking lineup.

Doytch

Is that Padres pick or Buster Olney's Orioles pick stupider?

(The stupidest is Olney's constant talk on the podcast about how he's picking the Orioles.)

Ophiuchus

Banned
Draft results for a 12 team 200 buy in league LF/RF/CF 4 bench standard 5x5 3 of the guys in the league use the closers only and 2 SP strat so there was a run on RP in the 4th round :( Thoughts? I have Brandon beachy and Scott diamond in my DL slots

Round Pick Player Position
1. (1) Ryan Braun LF
2. (24) Edwin Encarnacion 1B
3. (25) Starlin Castro SS
4. (48) Jason Kipnis 2B
5. (49) Yu Darvish SP
6. (72) Victor Martinez C
7. (73) Jonathan Papelbon RP
8. (96) J.J. Putz RP
9. (97) Austin Jackson CF
10. (120) Ryan Vogelsong SP
11. (121) Nelson Cruz RF
12. (144) Will Middlebrooks 3B
13. (145) José Valverde RP
14. (168) Eric Hosmer 1B
15. (169) Matt Garza SP
16. (192) Clay Buchholz SP
17. (193) Wil Myers RF
18. (216) A.J. Burnett SP
19. (217) Brett Gardner LF
20. (240) Brandon Beachy SP
21. (241) Michael Young 1B,2B,3B
22. (264) Jackie Bradley CF
23. (265) Dylan Bundy RP
24. (288) Josh Rutledge 2B,SS

Ophiuchus

Banned
Beachy's not a good pick at all unless it's a keeper league- he'll be out until August.

Not form what I'm hearing.
Beachy (elbow) is still on schedule in his recovery from Tommy John surgery and is expected to return sometime around mid-to-late June,

So right around the all-star break I'll keep him stashed in my DL spot until then

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Anyone coming back from Tommy John isn't going to be the back to normal till like 6 months after they get back.

Talon

Okay guys, for Real-Pic Opening Day, we need the following things in your avatar:

1. Picture of you.
2. wearing Team hat/gear
3. with a Bottle of Ketchup or Mustard, depending on where you stand on the debate.

Are we gonna do this?
This way I'll know how to completely ignore somebody!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Lenny Dykstra Book...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/books/meet_the_AlkxadaPKBpQGS6VEFs0ZI
Among the more shocking allegations Frankie levies in the book:

•Dykstra liked to “leave a large amount of feces in the toilet . . . so he could hear the shrieks of the hotel’s grossed-out maids."

•He once told a female executive, in a meeting, that he had “impregnated three women in the same night and made them all get abortions.”

•He referred to Tiger Woods and Derek Jeter as “darkies,” and the legendary Willie Mays, with whom he had a business relationship, as his "field n---er."

•By the end of 2009, The Wall Street Journal reported that Dykstra’s mansion was “littered throughout with empty beer bottles, trash and dog feces and urine among other unmentionables.” Dykstra was removed from the home and “barred from the exclusive gated community.”

•He would place ads for a personal assistant on Craigslist using a false name, and "would then cajole the applicants into giving him massages while he was nude, or just brazenly ask for oral sex."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Lenny-Dykstra-Racist-sexist-pervert-.html

Scott Boras: New free agency rules "corrupt"

Scott Boras has routinely made millions for his clients in free agency, but a change in the compensation rules this year has the super agent questioning the fairness of the system.

Under compensation rules instituted this offseason, Major League Baseball teams had the option of offering $13.3 million qualifying offers to any of their pending free agents who spent the entire 2012 season with that team. If a player declined the offer and signed with another team, the player's new team would have to forfeit its highest draft pick (except top-10 picks, which are protected) and the signing-bonus allocation slotted to that pick.

"When you have a system that does not reward performance, you know we have something corrupt in the major league process," Boras told FoxSports.com on Monday. "You cannot have that in the major league system, because it's not rewarding performance."

Before the current system, free agents were assigned a Type A or Type B designation based on Elias Sports Bureau ratings. Type A and B players who declined arbitration were tied to draft pick compensation, but teams didn't face the loss of signing-bonus allocation for signing those players.

So under the current system, fewer free agents were tied to compensation, but Boras told FoxSports.com that the bonus penalty of the new system damages the market value of free agents who received and declined a qualifying offer.

Boras told FoxSports.com that the new system forces major league teams to choose between making improvements to the big league team or focusing on improving through the draft.

Boras made his comments on the same day client Kyle Lohse signed a three-year, $33 million deal with the Milwaukee Brewers. Lohse remained unsigned until the end of March in part because of the draft penalty associated with signing him.

"They have to allow teams to spend whatever they want to spend in the draft, so draft dollars aren't viewed as more important than [the major league team's] performance," Boras told FoxSports.com.

In all, nine free agents (Josh Hamilton, B.J. Upton, Nick Swisher, Rafael Soriano, Hiroki Kuroda, David Ortiz, Michael Bourn, Adam LaRoche and Lohse) received a $13.3 million qualifying offer from their teams, with each declining the offer.

Kuroda (one-year, $15 million with the New York Yankees), Ortiz (two-year, $26 million with the Boston Red Sox) and LaRoche (two-year, $24 million with the Washington Nationals) ended up re-signing with their former teams. Hamilton received a five-year, $125 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels and Upton got a five-year, $75.25 million contract with the Atlanta Braves. Soriano signed with the Nationals on a two-year, $28 million deal.

The Cleveland Indians signed both Swisher (four-year, $56 million contract) and Bourn (four-year, $48 million). Bourn, however, remained unsigned until the middle of February.

Boras represents four of the players who received qualifying offers (Lohse, Bourn, Soriano and LaRoche).

Glad Kazmir made the Indians roster. Never stopped believing in you brah.

Feeling pretty good about that choice, especially knowing that there is at least some depth behind the current starting 5 (Bauer, Carrasco, maybe Dice-K, etc.).

Love how one of the "bold" predictions is the Yankees missing the playoffs. Really going out on a limb there :p

Top Bottom