• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 13: The Show |OT| So good, 2K wishes they were on the biogenesis report

friz898

Getting a lot of balls hit to the wall that are only resulting in singles. Granted, the hitters aren't speedsters but I'm getting at least 1 a game and most of the time 2 or 3 when in reality it happens just a few times a season. Don't know whether to tweak baserunning speed or outfielder speed as I don't also want singles to be turned into doubles.

I honestly haven't noticed that much. Perhaps your hitting style?

abrack08

Getting a lot of balls hit to the wall that are only resulting in singles. Granted, the hitters aren't speedsters but I'm getting at least 1 a game and most of the time 2 or 3 when in reality it happens just a few times a season. Don't know whether to tweak baserunning speed or outfielder speed as I don't also want singles to be turned into doubles.

Hasn't happened to me, even with guys like Lance Berkman.

I've had some weird commentator audio and stat glitches. First, if I sim the first (or first and second) game of a series and then play a later game in the series, Vasgersian always refers to the game as the series opener (even if he already mentioned it being a rubber match). Obviously not a horrible glitch, but still. It's happening pretty consistently.

The stat glitches bug me a bit more. I'm playing a franchise as the Rangers and Mitch Moreland is my 1st baseman and Lance Berkman is my DH. The game seems to give all of Mitch Moreland's accomplishments to Berkman for some reason with the in-game stats and stuff. Berkman will come to the plate batting .313 and it'll highlight the average and say "1st in the AL" and Vasgersian will see "And he's leading the junior circuit in hitting" or whatever, when in reality it's Mitch Moreland hitting .~360 and leading the league. Berkman even seems to be getting Morelands All-Star votes, as he's way out in front of Moreland even though Moreland is having a better year. This happens pretty much any time I have two people in my lineup with the same natural position (have two CFers starting).

Anybody else notice either of those?

eznark

Banned

Last year we tweaked outfielder speed. I haven't noticed it quite as much this year. Might want to check OS and see what their sliders are. Or just download them and use them. They spend way more time on this stuff than is healthy!

MoosiferX

Quick question! -- Do stats automatically go down during the off season, or is it just when you haven't put points into a stat for a while?

I'm four years into young Joseph Joestar's career (or as Matt Vasgersian would say, "Joe. Starr.") and I feel like when I hit spring training my rating was lower than it was the season before.

friz898

Quick question! -- Do stats automatically go down during the off season, or is it just when you haven't put points into a stat for a while?

I'm four years into young Joseph Joestar's career (or as Matt Vasgersian would say, "Joe. Starr.") and I feel like when I hit spring training my rating was lower than it was the season before.

I don't know for sure, but I do know they deteriorate after time, and it seems to take a LOT of time in the early years, but deteriorate faster in the later years. I know this isn't hard facts, but just my experience from MLB '12.

friz898

He was added in the 4/8 roster update.

I played two games since this post and there was no Evan Gattis. This would explain how I didn't know he was updated in the 4/8 update.

So last night I searched through everything looking for a way to force roster update since apparently it wasn't working automatically even though my Vita is kept connected on the WiFi at home.

Played the whole game with Gerald Laird, thought maybe he was just in the real lineup, even though he was batting 4th, never know with Freddi Gonzalez.

Then when I went to pinch-hit with Gattis in the 8th, is when I learned he wasn't on my roster. Got ready to come here and post and when I went to play that exact same Braves Live game (the one from last night that was snowed out in Denver), he popped up there.

So somehow, after i played a full Live game, it updated even though I didnt do anything special online such as connect to the PSN or play an online game.

So....whatever. How do the line ups update no problem but not the player(s)? Well, the stats update too, so everything BUT Gattis.

abrack08

Threw my first no hitter yesterday with Yu Darvish against the Cardinals. Should have been a perfect game, one guy reached via error in the 6th. It was essentially 28 up, 28 down. I was happy to get my first no hitter but knowing it should have been a perfect game dampened it a bit.

sangreal

"Over the next 4 series, allow 3 HITS or less"

seriously?

edit: turns out I was moved to bullpen along with promotion, but... I'm being used as a long reliever. My debut was in the 2nd inning. So yeah, that goal isn't going to happen

Just beat the 18th ranked player in the game 7-4. His record was 193-32. I could tell I was playing a tough oppenent but surprised me how high on the leaderboards he was. I just played my game, stayed patient, made him throw me pitches I could hit. Wore him down mentally and he quit trying to be so fine with his pitches. Tried to run fastballs by me and Votto and Bruce punished him.

friz898

Just beat the 18th ranked player in the game 7-4. His record was 193-32. I could tell I was playing a tough oppenent but surprised me how high on the leaderboards he was. I just played my game, stayed patient, made him throw me pitches I could hit. Wore him down mentally and he quit trying to be so fine with his pitches. Tried to run fastballs by me and Votto and Bruce punished him.

Are you playing PS3 or Vita?

Sounds fun, I've done countless hours on MLB '12 and MLB '13, but I never touch online. I'm not sure why. I stay busy with The Show Live and RttS.

I'm on the lookout for a good set of sliders for Franchise. Frankman helped me out last year. Hopefully I can find something good again.

WX3

Hello MLB gaf, I recently bought the game for PS3 via the PSN. I can download and play the game but if I apply the latest update the game breaks and I have to redownload everything! Anybody else experience this and find out what may be the issue? I've been using WiFi to download it and can try a hardline if need be. Never had an issue with psn downloads before.

Jas

Hello MLB gaf, I recently bought the game for PS3 via the PSN. I can download and play the game but if I apply the latest update the game breaks and I have to redownload everything! Anybody else experience this and find out what may be the issue? I've been using WiFi to download it and can try a hardline if need be. Never had an issue with psn downloads before.

Do you get a "install corrupt" error? I have the same issue with the PSN version for PS3.

Update the game and then exit out.

The workaround is to log out of PSN before booting up the game after it's updated.
When you get to the main screen you can log back into PSN and be able to play online.

It's been like that since it came out (downloaded it 3 times until finding the workaround solution online), hopefully it get's fixed soon :(

If it's not the "install corrupt" error then I'm not sure.

Does anyone know why the MLB series always requires me to adjust the veritcal/horizontal display settings in order to get a full screen picture? None of my other PS3 games do this but for some reason the MLB series always shows up having a 2-3 inch border around the image.

Does anyone know why the MLB series always requires me to adjust the veritcal/horizontal display settings in order to get a full screen picture? None of my other PS3 games do this but for some reason the MLB series always shows up having a 2-3 inch border around the image.

Same here. I was able to save it somehow.

Pretty sure he just uses whatever matriculates to the top at OS?
Nope!

I base it off info from the devs, then with the Settings on Default work off them by playing/simming about 30-40 games and checking results. After that I take the Top 3 slider sets for proven guys (TKMNGM, Psycobulk, Bobhead), pick their brains about why they set this or that, and work off my findings for tweaks. It's so annoying frustrating, and it's one of the reasons I never can start my Franchise mode until like late April. The Difficulty setting also matters, as the game makes the overall settings easier/harder.

OPne key note is the settings across the board were made MUCH easier this year. Last year's Hall Of Fame is much harder than this year's Hall of Fame.
I'm on the lookout for a good set of sliders for Franchise. Frankman helped me out last year. Hopefully I can find something good again.
I'll post what I have now:

{spot reserved for settings}

Hansel?

Neo Member
Bought MLB 12 last year, played the hell out of it on Franchise and RttS, but I'll admit I was a bit late in starting it last season. Cannot remember experiencing any issues at all. It was my first MLB: The Show game since 09.

Just got 13 yesterday, and after several games, the menu music is constantly skipping (not a big deal, just really annoying), and there seem to be a ton of stutters during actual games.

Again, I started playing MLB 12 late last year and the experience/performance was dare-I-say flawless for me. Is it typical for the issues I've had in 13 to be there in the early stages of these MLB releases? Can I just expect these things to all be fixed eventually?

Again, I started playing MLB 12 late last year and the experience/performance was dare-I-say flawless for me. Is it typical for the issues I've had in 13 to be there in the early stages of these MLB releases? Can I just expect these things to all be fixed soon?
Some of those issues have been there awhile, in MLB 12 the stuttering intro glitch was there for months. I think they'll fix them eventually, but so far nothing.

They have alot more issues, what with some people reporting the game randomly shutting down in the middle of an inning and what not.

Interesting. My HDMI cable bit the dust, so I start up a game with component cables. And to my surprise I get a shit load of OSD all kinds of stats popping up now. It's weird to see team leaders stats for the stolen bases act.. Hell I took a chance to check out show live after initially being disappointed, and it's a different experience now that the league is populated with stats from 1 month of games.

If you get a chance check the game out with component cables and tell me whatcha think.

friz898

Interesting. My HDMI cable bit the dust, so I start up a game with component cables. And to my surprise I get a shit load of OSD all kinds of stats popping up now. It's weird to see team leaders stats for the stolen bases act.. Hell I took a chance to check out show live after initially being disappointed, and it's a different experience now that the league is populated with stats from 1 month of games.

If you get a chance check the game out with component cables and tell me whatcha think.

I don't get it.

Why would component cables give you a completely different experience like that over HDMI? What am I missing here?

I don't get it.

Why would component cables give you a completely different experience like that over HDMI? What am I missing here?

I don't know man, maybe my HDMI cable was dying so I was getting a limited amount of info. I purchased a new one and I'm getting everything I was getting on the component cables.

friz898

Played my first game online with Vita.

Is the framerate always this bad? It seemed like the ball would flash-disappear right at time to swing. Also many times it would show me double-swinging, etc. I could write a lot more, but well, you guys get the point.

The little online bar said full green the whole time.

eznark

Banned
Some of those issues have been there awhile, in MLB 12 the stuttering intro glitch was there for months. I think they'll fix them eventually, but so far nothing.

They have alot more issues, what with some people reporting the game randomly shutting down in the middle of an inning and what not.

lol, I doubt it. There was a bug that caused the PS3 to hard reset if you quit the game from the XMB for like 3 years and it was never patched, they just figured it out last year. They never patched the catcher dropped ball bug. They are pretty shit at fixing things once the game is released, they just try to figure it out for the next iteration.

abrack08

Does the game automatically get way harder in the playoffs? I've been getting destroyed by the Angels, and I owned the season series against them.

Patch 1.23 was released on May 20. 184MB download.

-- Updated Player Mugs/Photos now showing up in-game vs just the Frontend menus.

-- Play Now Rated Online to look at season logic and system date and use the team's uniform they should be using for that day of the week.

-- Addressed file write hangs related to universal profile that would happen in various places in the Frontend, often when entering into games.

-- SWING/PITCH Disappearance Exploit, Swing Analysis would permanently disappear when opening and closing Pitcher/Batter Status window too many times or closing it when the window wasn't completely transitioned in.

-- File system hang in most game modes following extended play. This should make the HDD PSN downloadable version of the game stable.

-- Uniform change to USA Futures.

Please see TheShowNation.com for full details of changes included in all game updates.

Thanks for your support,
The Show team

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The last (and only) The Show game I've played is MLB 10.

How much better is the latest iteration? It's only $40 on Amazon. Thinking about getting it.

turnbuckle

The last (and only) The Show game I've played is MLB 10.

How much better is the latest iteration? It's only $40 on Amazon. Thinking about getting it.

Much, much better game than MLB 10. I'd recommend using the old school controls (meter pitching, button throws, zone hitting) though.

The ball physics are way better, the canned animations are worse (squeeze plays can be difficult to impossible because of the animation), RTTS is vastly improved, and Diamond Dynasty is excellent.

hiryu2015

ugh, just lost my second potential no-hitter of the year, both in the 9th.

First time was with 1 out and a perfect game on the line. The ump missed a called third strike and the next pitch was laced just over the third baseman's head for a single.

This time, I had walked two men early in the game with Verlander but settled down and struck out 9 in 8 innings. Then Drew Stubbs leads off the 9th and after missing the first pitch, lays down a bunt and beats the throw since Cabrera was playing at regular depth.

What shit haha.

So tempted to bite at $40... Have any of the earlier versions appeared in PS+'s IGC? Somewhat tempted to wait for that and go all-in with next year's PS4 iteration.

turnbuckle

So tempted to bite at $40... Have any of the earlier versions appeared in PS+'s IGC? Somewhat tempted to wait for that and go all-in with next year's PS4 iteration.

I don't remember them being on there but I could've glossed over it since I've been a day 1 Show guyer since 2008.

I'm excited for 2014 on the PS4 but I'm wondering what modes will be left out for that release. If they're not able to get in the Diamond Dynasty mode then I'm in a real conflict between the PS3/PS4 versions. Hopefully San Diego has been working on the PS4 iteration for a long time behind the scenes.

Thanks for the info, I decided to pick it up. Saw that no version has made the IGC yet and also worried the PS4 might have to toss something to get out on time. Figure at the very least I'll have an extra year to get better at the game, maybe I can play league play with you all next year.

turnbuckle

Thanks for the info, I decided to pick it up. Saw that no version has made the IGC yet and also worried the PS4 might have to toss something to get out on time. Figure at the very least I'll have an extra year to get better at the game, maybe I can play league play with you all next year.

Awesome. We actually managed to get through a season this year lol.

PaulLFC

For anyone who's played this on the Vita, how much of an improvement is it over MLB 12?

I ask because UK PSN currently has a sale where the Vita version of 12 is £7.19, while MLB 13 is £23.99.

I've never played a baseball game before, so it would be my first game - a good starting point? Or is 13 a much better game?

friz898

Looking at it solely as a comparison to MLB '12.

The textures are cleaned up a bit, and arent as muddy. The '12 version caught crap for "looking like a psp game" although it wasn't that bad. Anyway, 13 cleaned that up a bit.

Also, although there is still a hint of it here and there, 13 runs better for framerate and slowdown than 12.

13 also adds new camera views and such, but that was a series thing, not a vita thing.

Lastly, I could be wrong, but I believe the audio for '13 is slightly worse than '12's. They had to compress the audio to fit everything on the 2g cart.

PaulLFC

Looking at it solely as a comparison to MLB '12.

The textures are cleaned up a bit, and arent as muddy. The '12 version caught crap for "looking like a psp game" although it wasn't that bad. Anyway, 13 cleaned that up a bit.

Also, although there is still a hint of it here and there, 13 runs better for framerate and slowdown than 12.

13 also adds new camera views and such, but that was a series thing, not a vita thing.

Lastly, I could be wrong, but I believe the audio for '13 is slightly worse than '12's. They had to compress the audio to fit everything on the 2g cart.
Thanks. I think I'll pick up '12 later then - as someone who has no experience of baseball games I'm going into it with no expectations, so it should be fun.

Cheddahz

Banned
I haven't really dug into a baseball game since MVP Baseball 2005 and I saw that the Vita version of MLB 13: The Show is only $20 now at Gamestop, is it worth getting?

friz898

I haven't really dug into a baseball game since MVP Baseball 2005 and I saw that the Vita version of MLB 13: The Show is only $20 now at Gamestop, is it worth getting?

Well, I've been playing the Vita version nonstop since March, I wish it recorded hours played like RPGs because I really am curious how much time I've spent with the game.

I think it's outstanding.

turnbuckle

Hey, where'd you pick the game up at? I'm not sure if you're able to do price matching a couple weeks after the purchase but it's going cheaper than I've seen the game go so early in the year right now.

MLB The Show 2013 (PS3) $25.52 [Wal-Mart]
MLB The Show 2013 (PS3) $27.98 [Amazon.com]

friz898

Well the PS3 version is definitely superior, but I just can't top being able to get a quick game in before going to sleep, and then laying my Vita on the nightstand and turning out the light. Plus when you play, the immersion is great, you're in a zone with your handheld.

Well the PS3 version is definitely superior, but I just can't top being able to get a quick game in before going to sleep, and then laying my Vita on the nightstand and turning out the light. Plus when you play, the immersion is great, you're in a zone with your handheld.

The vita version is just as good then except for graphics? I saw mixed reviews on the vita version and it only getting a 7-7.5 so I'd play that more than ever playing the ps3 but it seemed not as good as expected from the reviews. I'm still debating what to do.

The vita version is just as good then except for graphics? I saw mixed reviews on the vita version and it only getting a 7-7.5 so I'd play that more than ever playing the ps3 but it seemed not as good as expected from the reviews. I'm still debating what to do.

Vita has worse graphics and is missing cutscenes and some presentation. The gameplay is the same as PS3 and I actually find myself playing the Vita version more out of the 2.

Top Bottom