• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 13: The Show |OT| So good, 2K wishes they were on the biogenesis report

If you are having problems hitting, I will ask you to try this user created camera. It is the best hitting camera ever. You can really see the ball well, I mean you get to pick up speed of the ball as well as angles i.e. breaks. I have increased my hit variety with this camera.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/542894-gmos-custom-offset-camera-2012-a.html

Here is the 2012 version of the same camera. This year I'll be working from 1 camera instead of 3. I figured I'd just keep it simple since I'll give you the instructions how to recreate it below.
6845778064_7d5456229e_z.jpg

What does the camera allow you to do better?

In short I have my custom camera offset to the outside more and set lower than base offset cam. It allows you to see velocity and angles better and it's lowered just right so you can judge low balls and high balls equally as well.

------------------------

Here are the instructions on how to make the camera

1) Go to the batting practice mode
2) Pick Andrew McCutchern as your batter
3) Pick anybody you want as the pitcher
4) Pick the practice field as your stadium
5) Once your into practice - go to your custom camera's
6) Use L1/R1 to get to the WIDE camera preset
7) Move the Left Stick down so that the top strike zone aligns with the top of the blue wall of the stadium.

Take a look at the pic below of where you should be at this point

6845777874_6a431f9bfc_z.jpg

8) Move the Right Stick to the right so that the top upper white corner of the strike zone is matched up with the left side of the batter eye's screen in the background. Look at the red arrow in the picture below.

6991926625_595d39ec7d_z.jpg

And that's it... Remember to use Andrew as your batter as his height will set a nice low angle that you need to judge low pitches better. That camera will sit at that same spot even with taller batters at the plate.

I guarantee that this view will improve your help improve your batters eye to hit the dreaded change up and 12-6 curve ball, as well as every other pitch that game as to offer.

Let me know how it works out for you guys!

Bog

Junior Ace
I got brought up to the majors after a month in AA ball, then another few weeks in AAA. Not only was I only coming in to pinch hit, but when I did, I'd pop up/strike out, earning 0-7 points a game.

Needless to say, I purposely missed my goals to get back to AAA to earn some points again. Back to hitting .400 and homering every couple games.

Mr. Black

Banned
Since MLB 13: The Show is my first baseball game, and as a Dutchman I hardly watch baseball, I have a (stupid) question. How often should you substitute your players in a (9 inning) game? I just discovered the bullpen, so I use two or three different pitchers per game, but how about the other players. In the several games I played I didn't change any player, is this usual?

Since MLB 13: The Show is my first baseball game, and as a Dutchman I hardly watch baseball, I have a (stupid) question. How often should you substitute your players in a (9 inning) game? I just discovered the bullpen, so I use two or three different pitchers per game, but how about the other players. In the several games I played I didn't change any player, is this usual?

Your position players you never really have to substitute unless there is an injury or you feel a switch would be better late game for speed on the bases or improved defense. Most nights, the nine you send out are the nine you stick with.

As for pitchers, you're going to want to change the starter around the 100 pitch mark or when he's obviously fatigued. Also, don't leave him in if he's giving up the farm (giving up too many runs). Switch him with a guy who can give you two to three innings (avoid using someone listed as SU or CL). You generally want to bring in your setup pitcher in the 8th if you're winning by a close margin and your starter is out (SU pithcer) and your Closer (CL) in the ninth if it's a save situation (Leading by three runs or less). You'll get the hang of when you want to use guys in different situations. It's important know each pitchers role on your team.

I just played my 1st game and yeah, I can definitely feel the difference in the opened Timing window. The thing I have a slight gripe is with there should be alot on line drives, not deep fly balls and homers. I'm playing with the Mets and I jacked 3-4 homers in a game, only 1 of those homers was on great contact.

-Amon-

check your base running settings. you might have it on auto.

I'll do tonight, thanks :)

I did not think about that because sometimes the runner starts the steal, sometimes not, and i can't really pinpoint what the problem could be.

-Amon-

As for pitchers, you're going to want to change the starter around the 100 pitch mark or when he's obviously fatigued. Also, don't leave him in if he's giving up the farm (giving up too many runs). Switch him with a guy who can give you two to three innings (avoid using someone listed as SU or CL). You generally want to bring in your setup pitcher in the 8th if you're winning by a close margin and your starter is out (SU pithcer) and your Closer (CL) in the ninth if it's a save situation (Leading by three runs or less). You'll get the hang of when you want to use guys in different situations. It's important know each pitchers role on your team.

So a CL pitcher like Rivera at the Yankees must be used only in the 9th, gotcha.

But if a SU pitcher has rougly the same endurance ( 1 inning ) why should i use it in the 8th and not to close the game ?

Mr. Black

Banned
Your position players you never really have to substitute unless there is an injury or you feel a switch would be better late game for speed on the bases or improved defense. Most nights, the nine you send out are the nine you stick with.

That's really usefull information, thanks! Already noticed there is a pretty huge difference between the pitchers.

sangreal

I'm hitting .470 with 64 HRs in AAA and still cant get a call up. Fuck the White Sox. Hate that I got traded there.

its pretty ridiculous sometimes. My pitcher lost like 1 game in AA with an era around 1 and league leader in every category. Never got called up, and then skipped AAA entirely just to be stuck in the MLB bullpen for another month

FrankWza

So a CL pitcher like Rivera at the Yankees must be used only in the 9th, gotcha.

But if a SU pitcher has rougly the same endurance ( 1 inning ) why should i use it in the 8th and not to close the game ?

not necessarily the 9th. it would be in any save situation after the eighth. you can bring in a closer for a 1+ inning save and you should be ok. also, a tie game in the ninth at home since a run that you score without the other team scoring automatically wins you the game, which would do away with the need of a closer. as far as using a CL vs SU, you would need to take into account factors other than endurance to determine a pitcher being best or better suited for a closers role. Adam Dunn may have more power than Prince Fielder, but Fielder is more of a clutch hitter. Same with pitchers.

friz898

I'm hitting .470 with 64 HRs in AAA and still cant get a call up. Fuck the White Sox. Hate that I got traded there.

I was a first baseman with the Braves, and I finished the season at exactly 100 homers in double a, I think I battle 500something also, I don't remember. I also had 265 RBIs.

Anyway, I never got called up because of Freddie Freeman, I even tried to switch to 3B since Chipper retired last year, but the manager wouldnt let me change positions.

Beginning of the next year though, I continued that torrid pace in Spring Training, and I don't know what they did with Freeman, but I got the starting job.

-Amon-

not necessarily the 9th. it would be in any save situation after the eighth. you can bring in a closer for a 1+ inning save and you should be ok. also, a tie game in the ninth at home since a run that you score without the other team scoring automatically wins you the game, which would do away with the need of a closer. as far as using a CL vs SU, you would need to take into account factors other than endurance to determine a pitcher being best or better suited for a closers role. Adam Dunn may have more power than Prince Fielder, but Fielder is more of a clutch hitter. Same with pitchers.

Understood, thank you.

Yeah, it doesn't really have to be only in the 9th. There is no rule stipulating that. A lot of it is situation dependent. Is your setup guy struggling in the 8th? Then you might want to bring out your closer early for a couple of extra outs. In actual baseball, it all depends on the manager and his personal style.

bradigor

Thank you for the camera settings earlier on this page, it seems to be helping me read pitches a lot better.

I still don't understand many of the little important parts of the game, such as what all the various abbreviations mean and how they translate to how I should play tactically. But I am getting there.

As someone who lives in Europe and only really has access to the 'Free Game of the Day' on mlb.com I am finding things very interesting and am learning a lot from playing.

So far I have moved the sliders way up for timing and contact, but hope to bring them down to suggested settings from operation sports as I progress.

Is there a pattern on when I should be stealing bases, or trying to catch someone getting a lead off when pitching? I take it if someone has a high speed stat and is at 1st with no one else on second, I should try and throw a ball to 1st to keep him there?

I also find I am very rarely put on base by a ball, once they are at 3-2 (or 3-1, etc) they tend to then find the strike zone more often than not, which means I am being forced to swing a lot more than I'd hope to. Should I be looking at fouling off more, or am I doing something wrong my end?

Finally I have my pitching set to just be a press of a button for now, is it worth switching to another method, or should I keep with the basic for the time being?

Quick

Banned
A lot of my baseball knowledge came from playing The Show through the years. I was already a fan of the game beforehand, but I had some difficulty following the game due to lack of knowledge with rules and the little quirks here and there.

anyone having problems base running. I feel like every time i click L to advance all runners it never works. I am forced to target inividual runners and its horrible with alot of players. I have had a guy advance to another baee while someone is still there and tell the other one to run and nothing.

Also i had a pop up in very shollow rigth field and had max strength with perfect accuracy amd the dude stands their for a few seconds before turowing a lob to the catcher as the runner scores. It was nealy in the at nfield and had max arm strength wth???

Mr. Black

Banned
Which role do you prefer while playing Road to the Show? I started as at 3B which I liked, also tried catcher and closing pitcher, which both weren't a very good choice, imo. Catcher is almost the same as a pitcher, but with less choice and as a closing pitcher you only play one round (which I should have known). Any recommendations?

Which role do you prefer while playing Road to the Show? I started as at 3B which I liked, also tried catcher and closing pitcher, which both weren't a very good choice, imo. Catcher is almost the same as a pitcher, but with less choice and as a closing pitcher you only play one round (which I should have known). Any recommendations?

I play Center Field and Starting Pitcher. I'm actually thinking of switching my Starter to a Closer though. Now that I've started franchise I have less time for RTTS so Closer would fit me well.

djblue89

Can anyone help me, since I updated to 1.18 my RTTS stopped working, is it possible for anyone to tell me how to fix my game save please ? Every time I go to load it up it says that there is an error trying to load the file.

Can anyone help me, since I updated to 1.18 my RTTS stopped working, is it possible for anyone to tell me how to fix my game save please ? Every time I go to load it up it says that there is an error trying to load the file.

I assume you are talking about PS3? Update 1.21 released today, maybe try updating to that and see if it somehow resolves the issue?

sangreal

So many updates and they still won't patch in play-by-play for RTTS. Just had the game bug out again and give commentary after a reviewed HR and it is so much more enjoyable

I get that they think it's unrealistic, but there are tons of options to ruin the realism in RTTS

friz898

So many updates and they still won't patch in play-by-play for RTTS. Just had the game bug out again and give commentary after a reviewed HR and it is so much more enjoyable

I get that they think it's unrealistic, but there are tons of options to ruin the realism in RTTS

Their community rep on their official forums already said it wasn't coming back. Now, everything is always subject to change mind you, but short of a riot, it seems pretty set in stone.

I didn't like it either.

The Show Live is turning out to be a disastrous experiment. There are still "TBD" players from the first week of the season represented by players who have since been added to the official roster.

I played a Show Live version of today's Royals @ Braves game. The Braves record was wrong (10-1 instead of 11-1) and for whatever fuck reason, Francisco Rodriguez (who is an unsigned free agent in real MLB) is the Braves long reliever.

Also, it takes forever to scroll through the game pages in the menu.

I don't know if people talk about their RTTS players on this thread or not, but after this last game I feel obligated.

My player is 'Flash' Durango, a slap-hitting second baseman. He had no power for the first two months of his career... I mean his power stats were like 20/100 or something. And so as late as June 6 he had a grand total of zero home runs. Feed up with the lack of power, I saved up 1000 RTTS points and used them all on power vs RHP.

My very first at-bat after cashing in: manager puts Durango in as a pinch hitter, bottom of the ninth, trailing 6-3, bases loaded. First pitch, I guess on a two-seamer, inner quadrant of the plate. When the strike zone lights up I have to do everything I can to stay back on the pitch until it's in my wheelhouse... And launch it WAY over the batter's eye in dead center. Grand slam, ballgame.

I love this game.

zychi

Banned
Anyone looking for mlb 13 vita? Got the ps3 version and want to sell vita version to offset cost. Looking for 28 shipped. No online code

FrankWza

The Show Live is turning out to be a disastrous experiment. There are still "TBD" players from the first week of the season represented by players who have since been added to the official roster.

I played a Show Live version of today's Royals @ Braves game. The Braves record was wrong (10-1 instead of 11-1) and for whatever fuck reason, Francisco Rodriguez (who is an unsigned free agent in real MLB) is the Braves long reliever.

Also, it takes forever to scroll through the game pages in the menu.

yes. i have seen brian wilson and krod both added to teams in live games.

friz898

I haven't played since last week, but I'm assuming that Evan Gattis is still not in the lineup even though he's a very integral part of the Braves so far this year?

After completing a couple online games, I can safely say they fixed the netcode. At least there was zero lag for me for the first time in four years.

Izick

Great game, absolutely love it.

Anyway, I saw one of my friends th other day playing MLB, and when I went to it I saw it was MLB 2K. All I could do was cry as I played a game that wasn't a glitchy trainwreck.

eznark

Banned
Reposting from the league thread:

Even the game doesn't want to see Axford. What a cluster fuck that was. Guys refusing to pick up the ball, guys who couldn't throw it (literally, they'd make a motion and not throw the ball) and plays where the swipe tag animation is so slow that no matter how quickly the ball got to he bag the runner was safe.

Of course the aforementioned "Gonzalez throws the ball into the stands after the play was over with men on first and third"insanity.

Of course that game ended on a freeze/disconnect when I changed pitchers...

Sony needs to give this game to a new studio. It's taking massive steps back the last two years. Such a shame that the license is wasted on clown clearly phoning it in.

Quick

Banned
I'm noticing this weird thing happening, and I'm not exactly sure if it's a baseball rule or if it's a glitch.

I'd throw a ball, batter hits it, bounces to the ground and the catcher gets it immediately. The catcher makes a throwing stance, but the batter just runs to first base. I notice that the crowds are silent when he's running towards first, and reacts the moment he touches the bag. It's happened quite a few times now.

eznark

Banned
I'm assuming the batter dent actually make contact and its just a dropped third strike. Throw to first and he'll be out.

Of course, that dropped third strike bug from last year still exists.

Quick

Banned
I haven't ran in to that yet, Quick, but your avatar is amazing.

Thanks. Hawkguy is awesome.

I'm assuming the batter dent actually make contact and its just a dropped third strike. Throw to first and he'll be out.

Of course, that dropped third strike bug from last year still exists.

Okay, so I'm not crazy and it's not actually some odd baseball rule I don't know about.

I forgot to add that it's only happened on the Vita version for me so far.

friz898

I had a new bug happen during Braves live.

I was playing the Braves vs. the Pirates. It replaced my 7 and 8 hitters with my catcher Gerald Laird, he was in the game twice with same states.

I changed it to a new player to fix it, and it then replaced both my number 7 and 8 hitters with the new guy.

On top of this, in the on deck circle, it showed two people there at the same time on top of each other, with their graphics crashing into each other.

Then, after it zoomed back to home plate to continue with the game, it just completely froze. No way to fix it or whatever. Had to shut down MLB to move on.

I had a new bug happen during Braves live.

I was playing the Braves vs. the Pirates. It replaced my 7 and 8 hitters with my catcher Gerald Laird, he was in the game twice with same states.

I changed it to a new player to fix it, and it then replaced both my number 7 and 8 hitters with the new guy.

On top of this, in the on deck circle, it showed two people there at the same time on top of each other, with their graphics crashing into each other.

Then, after it zoomed back to home plate to continue with the game, it just completely froze. No way to fix it or whatever. Had to shut down MLB to move on.

Same thing happened to me, except it had Russell Martin as the Braves catcher twice in the lineup.

friz898

Same thing happened to me, except it had Russell Martin as the Braves catcher twice in the lineup.

Ya come to think of it, I didnt post this until about 4 days after it happened, or whenever game 1 was with Pirates a few days ago.

Anyway, it was Russell Martin. I think I either put Gerald Laird in, or something and that didn't fix it.

bozeman

Getting a lot of balls hit to the wall that are only resulting in singles. Granted, the hitters aren't speedsters but I'm getting at least 1 a game and most of the time 2 or 3 when in reality it happens just a few times a season. Don't know whether to tweak baserunning speed or outfielder speed as I don't also want singles to be turned into doubles.

Top Bottom