• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Isn't Kemp like a 1 win player at best at this point? And now he has to play defense in San Diego?

Ok

Yup. It's sort of a shame too because when he was younger he was a good athlete but all of his injuries caused him to bulk up and he runs like Vlad Guerrero did before he retired. He's pretty much just a bat now, and even there you have to hope he doesn't get some nagging injury that causes his bat to tank too. I can see why the dodgers unloaded him they could not take the risk that in another year he joins Ethier and Crawford on the untradeable list.

i would say that the padres made out great in the trade for kemp. friendman should be getting blasted for move and he isnt. kemp has a 150ops+ the last 4 years and it only cost a middling pitcher and a catcher thats mostly known for pitch framing. oh dodgers also picked up most of the tab.

im not at all excited about the trade as a dodger fan

theres gonna be a lot of pressure on puig now and he's prone to disappearing for long stretches

i think kemp gonna have a good year next year.. he was very impressive last year in the second half and even his defense was fine when he settled into RF

an offseason of not having to recover from surgeries should help too

aFIGurANT

I have a source with the Padre medical staff. We conferred and decided that my 14.5 yr-old Collie has the better hips.

Stealth E: In a non-sexual way, I probably need to point out. As if it needed pointing out, lol

Kemp was overrated before he signed that deal.

before he signed that deal he was like an 8 WAR player. Granted he was up and down before that but considering his age it wasn't a crazy assumption to think that he had "figured it out". It was the injuries that really fucked him up.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Looks like the Yankees are going to retire Andy Pettitte's #46.

I guess the Yankees are going to make a mad dash at being the first team to use fractions as uniform numbers. :p

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Mets fan Viggo Mortensen makes predictions for upcoming season

“The Mets are always going to be fighting the Yankees for attention in New York because they don’t have the money the older, wealthier club has. There have been times when the Mets have outshone the Yankees by virtue of sporting excellence, but there is probably always going to be an underdog quality to this franchise. As a fan, that suits me fine, wouldn’t have it any other way.

Wow... I didn't know Aragorn was a Mets fan. Awesome!

I will takeover as Council president. Sabermetrics for all.

I fully endorse this post.

I will be Hal and you can be Hank.

Hank and Hal both suck compared to the boss.

How do you embed Instagram posts? GAF is HTML, no?

Anyway Harper looks like a linebacker here (direct link).

How did he get jacked so quick?

Mets fan Viggo Mortensen makes predictions for upcoming season

Wow... I didn't know Aragorn was a Mets fan. Awesome!

Is he saying he wants to see his team constantly losing?

3N16MA

Banned
before he signed that deal he was like an 8 WAR player. Granted he was up and down before that but considering his age it wasn't a crazy assumption to think that he had "figured it out". It was the injuries that really fucked him up.

He was overrated in the sense that he had one monster season in his career yet he was treated as if he was a top player in the game. He was a top player in 2011 but his career did not warrant the status he received.

2007-2011

.296/.353/.499, .365 wOBA/127 wRC+, 18.1 fWAR
.292/.343/.485, .359 wOBA/120 wRC+, 17.4 fWAR

The first line is Kemp the second is Hunter Pence. Pence wasn't considered on Kemp's level however he provided nearly the same value over 5 seasons.

Injuries have played a large part in his decline but he was still overrated.

eznark

Banned
gym rats with cartoon muscles always make for the best baseball players.

images

He was overrated in the sense that he had one monster season in his career yet he was treated as if he was a top player in the game. He was a top player in 2011 but his career did not warrant the status he received.

2007-2011

.296/.353/.499, .365 wOBA/127 wRC+, 18.1 fWAR
.292/.343/.485, .359 wOBA/120 wRC+, 17.4 fWAR

The first line is Kemp the second is Hunter Pence. Pence wasn't considered on Kemp's level however he provided nearly the same value over 5 seasons.

Injuries have played a large part in his decline but he was still overrated.

True I'm looking more at the contract, I understand why they have him the contract they did. He had a couple of up and down seasons and then exploded for 8 WAR at 26 years old. Most teams are going to lock that guy up long term. Sometimes it pays off, other times (Kemp, Mauer) it doesn't.

jman2050

Matt Kemp's 2011 was like Jacoby Ellsbury's 2011, a ridiculous outlier season that should have been recognized for the fluke it was.

Matt Kemp's 2011 was like Jacoby Ellsbury's 2011, a ridiculous outlier season that should have been recognized for the fluke it was.

if he doesn't have that huge injury in 2012 ..

he had 12 home runs in april

should have been recognized as a fluke is some lame ass hindsight thinking

Yeah it's kind of shallow and dumb. Makes winning the league each year way too easy. Just load up on power hitters and select a competent pitching staff.

aFIGurANT

Have you ever done a full season on Fanduel? I want to play for some $$$ but it seems like that site is all about the daily leagues, which turn me off. If I'm going to lose a bill I want to get like 6 months of entertainment out of it at least.

JDHarbs

One of our local high school teams tried recreating Gordon's Game 7 triple to see if he could've made it home.

http://youtu.be/zjXy5oNIhqg

safe 1 out of 6 attempts

I never understood this argument. He was never going to make it home on anything other than a bad throw which isn't as often at the major league level.

One of our local high school teams tried recreating Gordon's Game 7 triple to see if he could've made it home.

safe 1 out of 6 attempts

I never understood this argument. He was never going to make it home on anything other than a bad throw which isn't as often at the major league level.

To be fair, as badly as that play had been botched before, there is a very real chance the Giants could have thrown the ball into right field at that point.

thefro

safe 1 out of 6 attempts

Looks like a smaller field and much slower runner to me.

Plus the LF is going to have an advantage knowing where to throw the ball and that the runner is going to try to go home for sure.

A mad dash home and being thrown out at the plate would've made a much more exciting ending than a goddamn popup near the dugout. Gordon would be eating for free at Arthur Bryant's for life if he took that shot.

Doesn't Kemp have arthritic hips?

Yup! And he's being paid:

2015: $21M,
2016: $21.5M,
2017: $21.5M,
2018: $21.5M,
2019: $21.5M

The cost per win during the 2014 off season was $7mm. So in order to be worth his contract this year he would have to be around a 3 win player. Last year he was a 1.8 win player. This year he's projected between 1.9 and 2.5 wins depending upon which system you prefer.

I forget how to calculate aging curve, but let's just say Kemp is at the point now where his skills and value will likely decline.

Yankees are also retiring the numbers of Jorge Posada (20) and Bernie Williams (51).

The ceremonies will be the following days:

Bernie Williams on May 24
Jorge Posada on August 22
Andy Pettitte on August 23

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yankees are also retiring the numbers of Jorge Posada (20) and Bernie Williams (51).

The ceremonies will be the following days:

Bernie Williams on May 24
Jorge Posada on August 22
Andy Pettitte on August 23

Yankees are going to be the first team thats going to have to use 3 digits on their jerseys

Top Bottom