• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

An OBP of .335 is destroying the DR winter league? He struck out twice as often as he walked as well.

Carlos Peguero had an OPS of almost 1.000 in the DR Winter League. Carlos Peguero has a career OPS of .623!
Lol my boy Enrique Rojas was hyping him up big time so I assumed he killed it but those numbers ain't too good!

Well checking the stats he wasn't bad but Franco will never be a crazy high OBP guy. He had a regular season but finished strong.

aFIGurANT

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Padres made a "very aggressive" offer for Cole Hamels. When Amaro declined, they signed James Shields.

Cole Hamels, Padre, was not something I ever expected to be a possibility come the off season. The fact that it would have made "sense" is the weirdest bit. I wonder if Philly is wary of the Pads top guys since only Wisler and to an extent Renfroe (rough quater-year in AA) are doing much in the minors, statistically. And check that, Wisler blossomed from a 2-3 ERA in the lower levels to a 5.01 mark in 117 AAA innings last year.

RAJ might have been doing the right thing here.

Where the hell are the Padres finding Yoan money?

Also RAJ needs to get something for Hamels, it doesn't matter what but he needs to get something before he ends up with nothing.

Haven't there been multiple reports of teams making an offer for Hamels but the asking price being "too high"? I think Amaro has unrealistic expectations of what he can get and that likely won't change for the trade deadline. I feel bad for Phillies fans as it is clear their organization is being run by a dimwit.

what a last couple of crazy pages (100PPP) so to summarize:

Sanjuro is delusional, MoS was damn good, Rises was good, Turtles was so-so (Megan Fox was hot though)
Ketchup is awesome, Mustard is not, the Council is stronger than ever, A-Rod is going to rock it this year, DR fucked up in the Caribbean World series, go ketchup, go Yankees
7 MORE DAYS TO PITCHERS AND CATCHERS!!

aFIGurANT

He is a catcher. He could bat .240 and he could be relevant.

I went looking for some Molina .gif and found this instead:

Molina-Powers-593x356.jpg

I feel dirty, needless to say. Also the eyes...the eyes will be in my dreams I'm pretty sure now.

The Mariners have signed Rickie Weeks to a 1-year, $2 million deal. Weeks is expected to backup Robinson Cano at 2B whenever Cano has a day off or is the DH. Weeks is also expected to play the corner outfield positions at times and may end up platooning LF with Dustin Ackley, who was particularly worse against LHP in 2014.

hemtae

what a last couple of crazy pages (100PPP) so to summarize:

Sanjuro is delusional, MoS was damn good, Rises was good, Turtles was so-so (Megan Fox was hot though)
Ketchup is awesome, Mustard is not, the Council is stronger than ever, A-Rod is going to rock it this year, DR fucked up in the Caribbean World series, go ketchup, go Yankees
7 MORE DAYS TO PITCHERS AND CATCHERS!!

Corrections: MoS sucked, ketchup is terrible, the mod power behind the council is gone and SuperMalo has tried to stage a coup multiple times.

Supposedly Amaro wanted a "top prospect" in exchange for Papelbon.
IDK if that's an outrageous ask of the Brewers though considering their awful system.

aFIGurANT

There's lots of evidence of the strike zone stretching lower and lower so yeah, let's get it back to a reasonable level.

And let's do it with iUmps since I don't want a season of inconsistent umping from game to game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There's lots of evidence of the strike zone stretching lower and lower so yeah, let's get it back to a reasonable level.

And let's do it with iUmps since I don't want a season of inconsistent umping from game to game.

Wouldn't we still see a somewhat expanded strike zone going with iUmps since robot umpires would call a bunch of strikes that umpires usually end up missing? It just wouldn't necessarily be the lower part.

aFIGurANT

Wouldn't we still see a somewhat expanded strike zone going with iUmps since robot umpires would call a bunch of strikes that umpires usually end up missing? It just wouldn't necessarily be the lower part.

But we'd control them (for at least a couple years), so technically it could be calibrated to be tight but fair. We know the Union looks at pitch/fx data all the time so narrowing it down wouldn't be too hard.

I was being facetious, though. I don't want some 60" iPad above the batter and the batter's eye in CF doing the calculations. The human element is the best part.

zychi

Banned
But we'd control them (for at least a couple years), so technically it could be calibrated to be tight but fair. We know the Union looks at pitch/fx data all the time so narrowing it down wouldn't be too hard.

I was being facetious, though. I don't want some 60" iPad above the batter and the batter's eye in CF doing the calculations. The human element is the best part.

I'm down for robotic ump, but the problem becomes that some batters will adapt and just become robot Bonds because they will always know what's going to be called or not.

aFIGurANT

I'm down for robotic ump, but the problem becomes that some batters will adapt and just become robot Bonds because they will always know what's going to be called or not.

Them's the rules, learn to throw good strikes in that scenario.

It would definitely rule out the following scenario that Eckersley had going for him:
“It’s not like, ‘Oh, wherever you throw the ball, it’s going to be a strike,’” Eckersley says. “It’s not like it’s a gift. I could paint. If you could paint, you’re going to get an inch or two.” Eck did most of his painting low and away — an almost unhittable location if a pitcher can hit it consistently, and he could. “I could do that all day long,” Eckersley remembers. “If you dot that thing, it’s hard to tell whether it’s on the corner or not … You hit that dot, it’s like, man. Next thing you know, you have a reputation.”

That's from this article, which talks about how prevelant stealing strikes is getting.

Personally I like watching a guy paint that corner of the zone to the point where he's doing something more than just fooling hitters based on his crazy stuff. I imagine watching those 90s Braves was pretty special for that.

Why the hell doesn't the Brewcrew just sign K-Rod instead of fucking about with Amaro and Papelblown?

They probably will get K-Rod back, Melvin and Co. just want to have fun with Amaro. I can imagine Melvin stifling giggles as he humors Amaro over the phone. "Nelson, huh? *giggle* I'll, uh, I'll see what we can do about that!"

Top Bottom