• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Chris Sale out 3 weeks due to fractured foot:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-white-sox-chris-sale-20150228-story.html

Chicago White Sox left-hander Chris Sale is expected to miss three weeks of spring training with an avulsion fracture on the lateral side of his right foot, the team announced Saturday.

Sale suffered the injury in an accident at his home, according to the Sox, and arrived in camp with the foot injury Saturday morning.

He had X-rays at a Glendale hospital Saturday morning and will undergo more tests when the swelling in his foot subsides. His status as the Opening Day starter will be better determined at that point, according to the Sox.

aFIGurANT

Yep Tueday at noon. Jays vs Pirates. My last school spring break starts Monday.

Lucky dog. Although I think my break might be in early April which if true, well I think I win this round (assuming I don't get fucked by the later opening day start date this year). Looking forward to Cubs/Cards though, no way I'm missing that first night!

3N16MA

Banned
"Of course we're gonna win. If we're nice, we'll let it go six, but I'm thinking five, close it out at home."

- Jimmy Rollins on the 2009 World Series

Rollins is like Jon Snow.

Why didn't anyone else sign Viciedo before?

Because he is bad. When he first came up I thought he would be the next Carlos Lee. Instead he is the next Willy Mo Pena.
No plate discipline, slider speed bat, constantly overweight and hilarious defensive abilities.

Because he is bad. When he first came up I thought he would be the next Carlos Lee. Instead he is the next Willy Mo Pena.
No plate discipline, slider speed bat, constantly overweight and hilarious defensive abilities.

I'm admittedly ignorant towards him because I don't follow other teams, but his stats don't look too bad. 21 HRs, 58 RBI. Average isn't great, though.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
BTW, Kiley McDaniel made some vague comments about NYY and Moncada yesterday:
11:01
Comment From Pat
NYY knee jerk signing Olivera / Ibanez?

11:03
Kiley McDaniel: Wouldn’t shock me on either one, but haven’t heard them with Olivera and hearing other teams more on Ibanez, though there isn’t a ton of buzz on Ibanez in general.

11:06
Kiley McDaniel: NYY really flubbed the Moncada process. Almost all of what’s been reported is accurate, including many of the “characterizations” along with a couple other things I may reveal next week that I’ve uncovered, some of which is embarrassing for NYY.

11:08
Kiley McDaniel: It sounds like NYY genuinely didn’t think Moncada was worth what BOS paid, but they approached it the wrong way and there’s one bigger question they can’t/likely won’t answer.

How are a bunch of 16 year olds are worth $34 million but the best 19 year old in the world is worth exactly $50 million but not $60 million? It’s a ridiculous line in the sand to draw and there are some multi-year, overarching trends in what NYY has been doing that should’ve made this easier to see coming.

George Steinbrenner would’ve never let this happen and there’s more than just undertones of the PIT/Miguel Sano fiasco with NYY/Moncada. Teams that are run well and efficiently with clear delineations of who is in charge aren’t scared they might overpay relative to the 2nd highest bid if they think the price/player line up with their internal values.
Oh and
11:33
Comment From The Bronx Empire
Weigh in for us…did New York just make a miscalculation on Moncada’s market? Surely they didn’t buck at upping their offer when they heard they were short by a few million. Or were they even given a chance to up their offer?

11:35
Kiley McDaniel: They had a shot and didn’t take it. I think some of it was the agent, who they hadn’t dealt with before and it seems like they thought he was fabricating offers and trying to make a name for himself. How dumb would it be to not give them a chance to top any offer? No one is that stupid.

Sounds like a combination of top scouts and ownership said $25M was enough, either because they thought it would be the best offer or Moncada would take it anyway because Cano is his favorite player. It’s more complicated than just misgauging the market value of the player, though.

I'm admittedly ignorant towards him because I don't follow other teams, but his stats don't look too bad. 21 HRs, 58 RBI. Average isn't great, though.

Defense is a huge liability, wRC+ is 88 which is below average, can't make up for his horrendous fielding. K% is 21.7% which is holy shit bad, walk rate is under 6% which is also holy shit bad.

Just an awful player. Can easily get a younger, better guys for similar money and better production.

Defense is a huge liability, wRC+ is 88 which is below average, can't make up for his horrendous fielding. K% is 21.7% which is holy shit bad, walk rate is under 6% which is also holy shit bad.

Just an awful player. Can easily get a younger, better guys for similar money and better production.

Typical Anthopoulos then.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2015/2/27/8120871/mets-matt-harvey-live-batting-practice-tommy-john

tumblr_lqcektZWEc1qzi64q.gif

Parch

Rotoworld saying that Viciedo's days as a full time outfielder are done.
At age 25? Dang. He must really suck defensively.

The Jays are going to find out. I don't know if there's a better FA out there so I really don't have a problem with this signing. Even if he eventually ends up part time DH he's a temp OF and some decent offensive depth that the Blue Jays didn't have.

AL Central is going to be a Log Jam this year. Would be nice if our cheap ass owners gave Francona some more talent to work with, it's why Gilbert would actually be welcome for that team.

Rotoworld saying that Viciedo's days as a full time outfielder are done.
At age 25? Dang. He must really suck defensively.

The Jays are going to find out. I don't know if there's a better FA out there so I really don't have a problem with this signing. Even if he eventually ends up part time DH he's a temp OF and some decent offensive depth that the Blue Jays didn't have.

He had a -10 UZR.

That's stupid bad.

Parch

Adam Lind talking about the Blue Jays...
They’re my friends, but the guys who still run it are still there. Jose Bautista is the voice among position players and Mark Buehrle runs the starting pitchers,” Lind continued. “There might be a few more smiles with Colby (Rasmus) gone.”
Colby Rasmus is one weird dude. He's so.... american.

Socreges

Banned
He certainly wasn't the only "person" to defend the situation, unfortunately. It's probably best if you not try to defend the behavior.

I'd also advise flaunting people's alternate accounts. Unless you were planning on telling us, as you are quite aware it's against the ToS?
Looks like now you've interpreted my post through the same 'tribal' lens. Meanwhile I thought I was throwing him under the bus! There is no "defending" there. No flaunting. More just an interesting/demented twist.

I've spoken to a mod about the guy previously (ages ago when the 'alt' lied to get me banned), but was given the impression that without material evidence it's kind of a hollow conversation. Fair enough.

Opiate

Looks like now you've interpreted my post through the same 'tribal' lens. Meanwhile I thought I was throwing him under the bus! There is no "defending" there. No flaunting. More just an interesting/demented twist.

I've spoken to a mod about the guy previously (ages ago when the 'alt' lied to get me banned), but was given the impression that without material evidence it's kind of a hollow conversation. Fair enough.

Oh, you're "throwing him under the bus?" Feel free to tell me who the alt is, then. If you'd prefer, just PM it to me. We have plenty of ways to look up a potential alt, if you can show us who it is. Thanks!

Top Bottom