• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

I'm making a fast food run, I'll get into details later, but a lot of that glosses over the most important aspect of pitch masking and visibility. Arm slot.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm making a fast food run, I'll get into details later, but a lot of that glosses over the most important aspect of pitch masking and visibility. Arm slot.

Yep, that's often the biggest giveaway for a lot of pitchers.

Is that what it looks like to the great hitters? I remember reading that Edgar Martinez used to have the batting practice pitcher write numbers on the ball and he would be able to read them as the pitch came.

The best was when someone like Bonds would instantly relax his stance after seeing the ball leave the pitcher's hands knowing it was going to miss the strike zone.

Almost to the end of my first season in OOTP.

The World Series pits the 7-0 Mariners against the 7-3 Dodgers.

Sadly Kershaw is hurt and will miss the game. Luckily for Dodgers fans Puig got even better and somehow Freidman turned Justin Turner into Jordan Zimmerman.

Beckx

UBPdj5f.jpg

neat

Pretty cool.

Don't know what to make of Jung Ho Kang. He's hitting terribly like he won't be able to adjust, but every time he does make good contact, he crushes the ball.

Good cuts. I like Baez's confidence and everything but he needs to work on stuff.

Russell and Bryant both looked great this spring. And I expect both to be up soon.

I think Alcantara at 2B and Olt at 3rd to start season w/ La Stella backing both up.

Javier Bustez
Baez’s contact problems were unprecedentedly chronic. Just 59% of his swings resulted in contact, which is the lowest mark we’ve seen in the PITCHf/x era. However, Baez’s Contact% only tells part of the story. It reveals that many of his swings didn’t lead to contact, but doesn’t tell us why.

A deeper dive reveals that — despite his violent swing — Baez’s raw contact ability isn’t as terrible as you might think. He just swung at a lot of pitches that he probably shouldn’t have, which resulted in a lot of swings and misses. His Z-Contact% — the percentage of pitches he connected on within the strike zone — was actually higher than 17 hitters with at least 200 plate appearances last year. Baez’s swing-and-miss was bad, but not fantastically bad.
wow lol

rando14

He needs Manny to help him work on this. The potential there is crazy. Just needs a better eye for the strike zone.

So he needs to dramatically increase his ability to HIT the ball AND significantly improve his plate discipline?

Sounds easy

So he needs to dramatically increase his ability to HIT the ball AND significantly improve his plate discipline?

Sounds easy

He's done it at every single level he moved up. It's just an adjustment period for each level. When he gets it down he rakes, it just takes time.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Can't believe the Mets traded away Den Dekker :(

Oh well at least he'll get playing time for the Nats given nearly all of their OFs are injured at this point

BFIB

Can you provide some more information? I'm a Giants fan who relocated to LA, and it always sucks not being able to watch them play against each other.

Over the past couple of years I have used www.unblock-us.com

It costs around $4.50 per month, and once you sign up (it has a weeklong free trial), you input their DNS settings on your home router, reboot the device, and thats it. Legal, 100% workaround.

aFIGurANT

He's done it at every single level he moved up. It's just an adjustment period for each level. When he gets it down he rakes, it just takes time.

That's a nice narrative and all, but I don't think growth is necessarily just linear like people are suggesting. There's a reason we call certain guys Quad-A players and while I'm not saying that's Baez, that could definitely be an outcome for him just like it was for other prospects (Look at the Cliff Lee trade trees/SD transactions for instance).

The thing the Cubs have going for them is that it's only icing on the cake if Baez can figure it out; Alcantara and Russell are both going to be chomping at the bit for playing time in no time. Rany Jazayerli's piece on Grantland illustrates that what they've done is make sure they are as stable as they can be for multiple iterations of the rebuilding process. Here's the link (it's a long one).

Parch

Reminder to the managers of the NEOGAF BASEBALL LEAGUE that the keeper deadline date is April 1st which means you need to have your keepers selected BEFORE that date. That means tomorrow, Tuesday. You should also check to see that Yahoo hasn't changed their O-Ranks to ensure that you do not have a double round conflict.

Live draft is Thursday April 2nd, 8:00 PM ET.

Got my MLB.TV Premium and Unblock Us set up and ready to go. Old friend from my Target days offered me an extra opening day ticket, but I haven't found anyone to cover my shift in the morning.

Beckx

I hope Frozenprince is watching Osaka Toin go down in flames.

OH MY GOD.

Matsumoto has TWO grand slams tonight. And its the second inning.

aFIGurANT

Sucks man. The Weiters thing from last year except now at least Vasquez will have just the one whole season as a lost cause instead of missing parts of two years. He was one of the plethora of new-wave catchers to watch for his Yadi/Martin-esque qualities.

On that note I hope Weiters comes back strong and gets to test the open market like Martin did. More good catchers need to be made available, I hate seeing all the good ones locked up. It's weird to think that in maybe five years or so the Molina era will have ended with Jose going down for the count today.

While Jaime takes his usual seat on the DL, Matheny has named C-Mart the 5th starter.

Very pumped. He's our Yordano Ventura and Molina is our Sal. Make it work, Yadi!

Top Bottom