• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd has resigned from the team. He's been the GM since 1999. Jeff Bridich was named the new GM. He's been the Rockies senior director of player development since 2011.

A day after having our postseason ruined by a couple of Matts, here's what I want the Dodgers to do for next season.

1. Fire Ned Colletti
  2. Get new GM to rebuild bullpen
  3. Sign Russell Martin (I love you AJ but we could use a nice bat for an entire season.)
  4. Grab a new #4 starting pitcher. Beckett has retired and Billingsley has turned into glass.

The last problem is Hanley Ramirez. He hasn't had a great year and his defense sure isn't what it used to be. The thing is, I don't trust the people who are backing him up right now with Arruebarrena and Rojas. They can play great defense at times but they're terrible on offense. I think they let Hanley walk and maybe try Turner at SS? Big decision here.

The last problem is Hanley Ramirez. He hasn't had a great year and his defense sure isn't what it used to be. The thing is, I don't trust the people who are backing him up right now with Arruebarrena and Rojas. They can play great defense at times but they're terrible on offense. I think they let Hanley walk and maybe try Turner at SS? Big decision here.

Can I interest you in a slightly-used Jose Reyes? He's a bargain at a mere $22m
a year for the next three years
!

More Dodgers News
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/10/ned-collettis-job-security-in-question.html

7:44pm: Andy Martino of the New York Daily News spoke to multiple Dodgers insiders, with one source telling him, “I’m already hearing all kinds of rumblings” regarding Colletti and, to a much lesser extent, Mattingly. Other sources to which Martino spoke praised Mattingly’s people skills and ability to manage the superstar egos involved in the Dodgers’ four-headed outfield monster. In particular, a source tells Martino, Mattingly was instrumental in getting Ethier to buy into a reduced role.

7:14pm: Following the Dodgers’ postseason loss at the hands of the Cardinals, sources within the organization tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that GM Ned Colletti could be on the hot seat (Twitter links). Ownership is said to have more of a soft spot for manager Don Mattingly, says Rosenthal. He continues, however, by noting that if the Dodgers do replace Colletti, the new GM may very well want to name his own manager. Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com hears similar things, noting that Mattingly’s job appears to be safe, but the outlook for others in the organization is less certain (Twitter link).

This season marked the second straight disappointing exit from the playoffs for the Dodgers, who were considered a favorite by many going into postseason play due to their elite group of starting pitchers. Colletti famously swung perhaps the most talked-about blockbuster in recent history when he acquired Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto from the Red Sox in exchange for Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster, James Loney, Jerry Sands and Ivan De Jesus back in August 2012. However, despite solid performances from Gonzalez, Crawford and Beckett this season, the Dodgers will again watch the World Series from home.

Additionally, the Crawford acquisition combined with extensions of Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier to create an expensive logjam of outfielders for the Dodgers. Yasiel Puig‘s emergence as the team’s best hitter has made it impossible for all four to get regular at-bats, and top prospect Joc Pederson has no clear path to everyday at-bats with the Dodgers in the near future, either. Bullpen expenditures Brian Wilson, Chris Perez, Brandon League and Paul Maholm haven’t panned out (though League did recover from a disastrous 2013 with a strong 2014), and trade acquisitions Kevin Correia and Roberto Hernandez yielded sub-par results. Moreover, the team spent a combined $53MM on Cuban infielders Erisbel Arruebarrena and Alex Guerrero, yet neither contributed in 2014 and it’s unclear if both will fit into the long-term picture following the emergence of Dee Gordon.

Of course, there’s plenty to like about some of Colletti’s moves. The decision to re-sign Juan Uribe looks outstanding, and the team’s mere $1MM investment in Justin Turner was perhaps one of the biggest steals of the offseason. That move will continue to pay dividends, as Turner is controllable through the 2016 season. J.P. Howell has produced tremendous results at a reasonable rate over the past two seasons. Also, Arruebarrena and Guerrero had strong performances in the minors, so either could generate trade interest.

If Colletti is replaced, that would incredibly mean that four of the five teams in the National League West would have changed GMs in roughly a five-month span. Padres GM Josh Byrnes was fired in June, while the D’Backs dismissed Kevin Towers in September and the Rockies just announced today that senior director of player development Jeff Bridich would take over as GM, with Bill Geivett and Dan O’Dowd resigning from their posts.

More likely Colletti is replaced this offseason and whoever gets the GM job keeps Mattingly on board at least for one more year depending upon team performance.

I just want Ned gone. If this team can't do that then we're going nowhere.

Sad to see Beckett retire. Great pitcher.

But clears up $16 mil in cap space. Possible chance at Max signing?
I'd like Max but he might cost too damn much (if such a thing is possible for this team). Most likely it'll either be Max or maybe they'll take a look at James Shields. We also gotta see what happens to Dan Haren and whether he exercises his option for next year.

Also I've found out there are Dodger fans who want Kirk Gibson as manager. I don't even.

MLBTR predicts Harang will get something like a 2 year $14MM contract. Could see the Cubs offering a deal of that ilk to be the #4 starter, but regression is obviously likely.
Any Braves fans think he is worth that?

My offseason Cubs wishlist
1. Sign one of Lester, Shields, or Scherzer. (In that order)
2. Sign David Ross or Geo Soto as a backup Catcher(Don't want to get in the bidding war for Martin and want Schwarber to develop for a year as a Catcher)
3. Sign Colby Rasmus to a 1 year deal
4. Go after Kenta Maeda
5. Sign or trade for a LHR like Zach Duke
6. Resign Arrieta to a 4 year deal
7. See what it would take to get Hamels
8. Inquire on Bucholz
9. Gauge Valbuena's trade value
10. Try to get the Indians or anyone involved in a trade for Edwin Jackson. A trade involving Bourn or Swisher would make sense

I'd like Max but he might cost too damn much (if such a thing is possible for this team). Most likely it'll either be Max or maybe they'll take a look at James Shields. We also gotta see what happens to Dan Haren and whether he exercises his option for next year.

Also I've found out there are Dodger fans who want Kirk Gibson as manager. I don't even.
He will. He's supposed to make a good check right based on this years innings incentive?

Fox318

Dodgers should invest in a bullpen.

Forget about Max. Try do develop some younger pitchers and get some relievers on the market.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Rumour going around that Puig is going to be traded.

Also, the Dodgers want Andrew Friedman to be the new GM.

If they do this then this is the biggest blunder since giving Andruw Jones that contract.

And why won't they grab Kim Ng to be the new GM? She probably wants out of Torre's dungeon.

The Andruw Jones signing wasn't that big of a deal. At least they were smart enough to only give him two years. Andruw had an Uggla-esque sharp decline.

I like the Cubs new hitting coach. He supposedly really helped Altuve.

Hopefully a combination of working out with Manny and this new coach will help Baez get better for next year.

eznark

Banned
Roenicke is back, which is whatever. Team is going to be shit til at least 2018 anyway, but at least a new manager would've provided some excitement.

BFIB

I'd be shocked to see the Dodgers trade Puig. But then again, I never thought Cespedes would be traded to Boston.

So he'll likely be traded.

eznark

Banned
Heeey, Chip Hale is a choice that I like. Seems like I can get behind this new regime, at least for now!

tony-larussa-finger-logic-360x240.jpg

jbug617

Banned
Sounds like Kenta Maeda is not going to get posted by his team
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...carp-set-hold-posting-ace-maeda/#.VDw1Wr4aKYU

HIROSHIMA – Hiroshima Carp owner Hajime Matsuda indicated Monday the team is unlikely to accept tender bids for Kenta Maeda under the posting system this offseason following the right-hander’s disappointing season in 2014.

“We have the right. We would like to let him go, but based on his production this year it will be difficult,” Matsuda said.

At the earliest, Maeda, 26, will become eligible for overseas free agency during the 2017 offseason.

Maeda, a winner of Japanese baseball’s prestigious Sawamura Award, told his team in 2013 of his desire to play in the major leagues. This season, Maeda went 11-9 with a 2.60 ERA.

On Sunday, Maeda said, “I have more regrets this season (than anything else),” adding that he had no plans in particular to make a move during this offseason.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Good luck to Friedman. Curious to see who else from the Rays FO leaves with him - writing was honestly on the wall when Hunsicker joined LA not too long ago.

Honestly feel bad for Ned. The Dodgers had a good team, his biggest mistake was hiring Mattingly. Wouldn't be opposed to the Rays hiring him but I guess hes staying in LA? Not sure why.

Top Bottom