• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ack-offense/5I4fqkhNWnM739C7hxNl2O/story.html

Yoenis Cespedes, OF, Red Sox — Word is spreading that the Red Sox could make Cespedes available. He will earn $10.2 million in the final year of his deal. Cespedes said late in the season that he wasn’t sure whether he’d engage in long-term talks with the Red Sox. Couple that with his desire not to play right field or work on his defense, and that could make him a trade candidate as the Red Sox try to pare their outfield depth and possibly make room for Mookie Betts or add a lefthanded hitter.

Would be hilarious if he gets traded back to Oakland.

BFIB

I'd love for the Cards to land Cespedes for CF. Can't even imagine what BoSox would want in return.

BFIB

They wouldn't be able to demand much considering Cespedes is a free agent after 2015.

That's true, but I would think the asking price would be at least one big prospect. Which the Card can offer.

Don't see it happening, but him in CF, Taveras in RF, and Holliday in LF w/ Grichuk as the 4th OF option? Madness! And the kind of offensive upgrade the Cards really need.

I'd love for the Cards to land Cespedes for CF. Can't even imagine what BoSox would want in return.

It sounds like the Cardinals are set on Jay being the starting CF for next season. Which given his 2014 season I'm actually kind of OK with, although I think his trade value right now is probably the highest it'll ever be. Just not sure we could get much in return.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/10/quick-hits-braves-outfielders-romo-hudson.html

David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution goes into more detail on the situations of the disappointing B.J. Upton and corner outfielders Justin Upton and Jason Heyward, both of whom will become free agents at season’s end. The Braves “seem prepared” to take a bath on the elder Upton’s long-term deal to move him off the roster, according to O’Brien, and if the can manage it would probably utilize Heyward or a stop-gap in center. Dealing one of the other two players while trying to extend the other has long been discussed as a plausible option, and O’Brien indicates that it is a realistic option to slide Evan Gattis into a corner role to fill any resulting void.

As far as extensions go, O’Brien says the Braves talked with Heyward’s representatives about a deal last winter. The team was interested in something that would have fallen well shy of Freddie Freeman‘s $135MM pact, says O’Brien, and Heyward’s asking price was well out of Atlanta’s comfort zone. His number has, in all likelihood, only gone up in the meantime, as Heyward just turned 25 and continues to rack up production — even though he has not returned to the offensive power ceiling he showed earlier in his career.

Heyward's always been one of the most productive players on the Braves, but he's still never even come close to the potential he was expected of. Freddie Freeman has done that, but Heyward hasn't.

John Hart was supposedly the driving force behind all the extensions they signed with everyone last year (yes, even Chris Johnson). It sounds like Hart is going to GM for a few seasons, then hand the GM title over to Copollela later while remaining President of Baseball Ops.

Also, the Phillies just committed $4.5 million next season to Jerome Williams and Grady Sizemore. Amaro.

jbug617

Banned
@Buster_ESPN: The Phillies have signaled to some corners of the market that they're going to be ready to deal veterans this winter,and eat money to do it.

So which AL team going after Howard?

eznark

Banned
He's a perfectly capable backup corner outfielder with average defense at the corner spots.
He could start on a bad team like the Phillies.

There is nothing "capable" about a -0.6 fWAR corner outfielder. Bad defensively, no pop, hasn't gotten on base in 6 years, is a giant black hole injury risk.

What does he offer that literally any minimum salary AAA outfielder doesn't?

BFIB

Ladies and Gentlemen. Your 2015 Tampa Bay Rays

YanBY.gif

Top Bottom