• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Feel for the Rays. They lost their decided schematic after he traded for Drew Smyly. That team and market is going to collapse on itself. Sternberg gonna relocate soon.......

Fox318

Feel for the Rays. They lost their decided schematic after he traded for Drew Smyly. That team and market is going to collapse on itself. Sternberg gonna relocate soon.......

Montreal or North Carolina

Florida gets the team it deserves in Miami.

Can't wait till the Yankees get Stanton.

Meier

I don't know much about Andrew Friedman personally but everything points to this being a great hire. Colletti has done fine in recent years after being terribly underwhelming initially, but I think it was time for some new blood and this has been long overdue. It'll be interesting to see who we bring in to replace him -- I know the Nats Assistant GM (Minniti) stepped down the other day somewhat unexpectedly and there was some speculation he might be a good fit. He's young and that might provide good synergy with Friedman.

Maddon would obviously be the cherry on top.

Aren't they stuck in TB for awhile thanks to a terrible lease? Not that I wouldn't mind seeing them relocate to Montreal. The Jays would hate having another Canadian team in their own division, but that would be pretty amazing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What new team are you going to bandwagon now?

Nobody?

Drew Smyly was one of the best pitchers in baseball post deadline. Not mad hes going to be a staple in the rotation for the next half decade, hes honestly really fascinating to watch. His curveball is one of the weirdest (and effective) curveballs I've ever seen and his cutter doesn't even cut as much as it dips. Don't think hes going to keep being CY but hes good and fun as hell to watch pitch.

eznark

Banned
With that much talent in the front office the Dodgers should bring in Kim Ng. Someone has to give her a chance, and that seems like an impossible to fuck up job.

Not saying she'd fuck up, but having the first female GM be super successful would be good.

Meier

With that much talent in the front office the Dodgers should bring in Kim Ng. Someone has to give her a chance, and that seems like an impossible to fuck up job.

Not saying she'd fuck up, but having the first female GM be super successful would be good.

She was with the team for quite awhile (about 10 years) but lost out to Colletti last time for the position. I'm sure they will be considering it heavily.

eznark

Banned
She was with the team for quite awhile (about 10 years) but lost out to Colletti last time for the position. I'm sure they will be considering it heavily.

She was supposedly interviewed heavily in San Diego as well. Weird career. Seemed she was a star 5-10 years ago now you never hear her mentioned much, since she took a job with the league.

They really should have given her the job over Colletti nine years ago.

Dre3001

Friedman is not a huge loss to the Rays as most people seem to think.

He hit on a few trades and free agent signings but for the most part his drafting has not been that great.

He has whiffed on more top draft picks than he has found success.

Seriously the only Rays players still on the 40 man roster that Friedman drafted since arriving in 2007 are

Matt Moore (Good)
Tim Beckham (Bust)
CJ Riefenhauser (Bust)
Kevin Kiermaier (Solid)

Joe Maddon if anything deserves more credit for being responsible for the Rays success. Not stating that Friedman did not play an important role but the core of the 2008 Rays team that made the WS was already in place before his arrival.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Friedman is not a huge loss to the Rays as most people seem to think.

He hit on a few trades and free agent signings but for the most part his drafting has not been that great.

He has whiffed on more top draft picks than he has found success.

Seriously the only Rays players still on the 40 man roster that Friedman drafted since arriving in 2007 are

Matt Moore (Good)
Tim Beckham (Bust)
CJ Riefenhauser (Bust)
Kevin Kiermaier (Solid)

Joe Maddon if anything deserves more credit for being responsible for the Rays success. Not stating that Friedman did not play an important role but the core of the 2008 Rays team that made the WS was already in place before his arrival.

Crazy talk. Yeah there were other guys in the organization who deserve more credit like Maddon and Hunsicker but Friedman was just as important. Rays drafts have been hit and miss but theres more to being a GM than just draft picks.

Rays are not moving anywhere. No other market deserves baseball more than Tampa Bay.

Eh. Definitely cannot agree with that, Montreal deserves a team. Portland. North Carolina among other markets. But I don't think the Rays are moving any time soon.

Overlee

ESPN said:
Ironically, sources say the Dodgers’ failed pursuit of a trade for Price this summer only heightened their admiration of Friedman. Said one source: "They always asked for the right prospects. Not just the guys everybody knows, either.

Sounds like this has been in the works even before the Doyers got eliminated. Sounds like Stan Kasten lost faith in Ned and his stupid veteran trades long ago:

Dylan Hernandez said:
Colletti was prevented by ownership from making any midseason adjustments to the bullpen, people familiar with the situation said. Top prospects Corey Seager, Julio Urias and Joc Pederson were labeled as untouchable by President Stan Kasten. So were some mid-tier prospects, including Zach Lee, a former first-round pick whose development has stalled.

Did Kasten really think THIS guy woulda done something dumb???
18f0ouylpfva6jpg.jpg

Overlee

Zach Lee hasn't been labeled a bust yet?

The front office has to know he's a bust but they figure they can get more of a return for a "former 1st round pick" than the usual players Colletti goes after.

I could see Ned trading Zach Lee for Kevin Correia and a backup Catcher for example.

Dre3001

Crazy talk. Yeah there were other guys in the organization who deserve more credit like Maddon and Hunsicker but Friedman was just as important. Rays drafts have been hit and miss but theres more to being a GM than just draft picks.

I never said that Friedman wasn't important but rather he would not be a big loss as others are implying.

I also think you are undervaluing the importance of draft picks made by a GM.

Several years of bad drafting and Friedman has left the Rays farm system incredibly thin. He inherited a great farm system when he became GM, had a few winning seasons, and now is walking away when shit is about to hit the fan.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
John Hart turns down the braves.
Jeff Passan Twitter said:
Sources: John Hart has turned down the Braves' offer to be GM. For now, Atlanta focused on AGM John Coppolella and Royals GM Dayton Moore.

It's going to be interesting to see how next year plays out. If this team underperforms again then Crazy Joe might be walking through that door.

Fox318

I wasn't really referring to Cashman there.

I know but there is so much unfounded Cashman hate.

He patched together a injured pitching rotation and the Yankees lost because guys like Texeria are made of glass and are fucking weak ass weaklings.

zychi

Banned
According to baseball prospectus Pedro Strop's breaking ball was the most effective pitch of 2014.

That Feldman trade was amazing. Based Theo.

It's weird to hear people hyping up a Cubs season already. I'm so used to not being able to discuss the Cubs with anyone the past few years. None of the "Cubs fans" I know knew any of the roster this year. It was infuriating.

It's weird to hear people hyping up a Cubs season already. I'm so used to not being able to discuss the Cubs with anyone the past few years. None of the "Cubs fans" I know knew any of the roster this year. It was infuriating.

Cubs and Sox both have a shot to be good next year.
So it will be fun.

Top Bottom