• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LA Times ripping into the Dodgers organization:

But the failure wasn't only in the Dodgers' 3-2 loss to the Cardinals on Tuesday afternoon that ended their National League division series with a three-games-to-one Cardinals victory. The failure wasn't simply in Clayton Kershaw's surreal inability to survive a Cardinals seventh inning for a second consecutive start, or in Andre Ethier's pained inability to judge a bouncing pitch while standing on third base, or the Dodgers' inability to drive in two runners in two of the last three innings.

The failure was something much broader, much deeper, and much more evident in the Dodgers words than even their play. This was a 94-win team that was favored by many to traipse through October on its way to the World Series, yet their journey lasted all of five days. This was the ugliest postseason elimination for this franchise in 29 years, since the Cardinals did this to them in the 1985 National League Championship Series.

Outside the clubhouse, helping to push one of the equipment trunks as if he were a batboy instead of chairman of Guggenheim Baseball Management, was a clearly distressed Mark Walter.

"This is really hard,'' he said, hurrying away. "I can't say anything right now.''

For the 26th consecutive Dodgers season, the World Series won't be coming to town, and something needs to be said, and those words need to intially be about Walter and the ownership group, for this massive failure begins with them.

Guggenheim shamelessly hid the Dodgers from their fans this summer with a money grab from Time Warner Cable that prevented the team from being on television in 70% of Los Angeles households. Yet, for all the riches of that $8.35-billion contract, they refused to allow the trading of prospects for one simple arm that could have saved the Dodgers in October.

An effective starting pitcher would have prevented Kershaw from throwing Tuesday on three days' rest in a game in which he wearily gave up Matt Adams' three-run home run on his 102nd pitch.

An effective middle reliever would have allowed Manager Don Mattingly to relieve Kershaw not only before Adam's home run, but also before Matt Carpenter's three-run double sank Kershaw in the seventh inning of the series opener.

The team with the richest payroll in baseball history turned out to be a beautifully detailed Cadillac without any tires, a $240-million clunker that couldn't even finish the first October lap.

The failure continues with the baseball people, and that means General Manager Ned Colletti, who sat on a couch in the clubhouse early Friday evening and winced.

"It wasn't our bullpen that cost us this series," Colletti said. "Could they have been better? Sure, but when you have left-handed Cardinal hitters doing what they do, that's unreal.''

So why can't the same be said of the Dodgers? Why does this rich and powerful team so often play selfishly and distracted, particularly under pressure? Why are they, you know, the anti-Cardinals?

The heat here falls on Mattingly, who, for a second consecutive postseason, didn't seem to have a frim grip on his team. He not only seems unable to steer their playing ethic, but he also still struggles strategically. Although Mattingly does not deserve to be ripped for not pulling Kershaw in either loss, he certainly didn't need to replace him in Game 3 with little-used Scott Elbert. And in a too-little-too-late move, he strangely benched Yasiel Puig on Tuesday, which meant Ethier had to make his fourth start in a month in the biggest game of the year. Little wonder Ethier ended the Dodgers' only scoring rally in the sixth inning by getting lost off third base.

Mattingly's performance will be seriously evaluated, although he has the public backing of Guggenheim officials. Colletti's performance will also be seriously evaluated, and, while he hasn't enjoyed that same public Guggenheim support, he has led the team to five postseason appearance in his nine years as general manager.

Everybody could be safe. Nobody could be safe. It depends on how much return Guggenheim believes it is receiving for its massive investment.
Here's hoping Dodgers owners won't forget to blame themselves, beginning with ending the television debacle before next spring.

lol at Colletti claiming the bullpen's not the problem.

Professional Baseball...only sport where managers and players don't shake hands with opponents after a game right? Also only sport where Managers where the player uniforms.. (besides O'l boy from the Premier League...forget his name..lol)

I remember when I was a kid, I had teammates spit on their hands before we would slap hands with the opposing team.

of course I wouldn't even fist pump, let alone slap hands.... I'd use my Glove.

because Baseball, much like life, you don't congratulate your foes after crushing them under your boot heel, you simply scrape them off like excrement from a boot.

It always amazes me to see baseball teams celebrate like they won the World Series after each playoff series win. Does any other sport do this?

winning a Baseball playoff series is much harder than the other sports. to get to the playoffs is much harder period. it's only two rounds and the world series so each one is very special actually.

XiaNaphryz

MadBum goes for 5 at once after the 4-at-once chug post-wild card game:

PeacefulBreakableDromaeosaur.gif

Colletti saying the bullpen wasn't the problem is very fucking scary to me as a Dodgers fan.

Need him and Mattingly to get lost together.

I'm rooting for the Royals from here on out.

I don't agree with him much but Dave Cameron much but I do agree that it is ridiculous that managers choosing to lose by not using their best players in win or go home situations.

BFIB

TLR used his bullpen for more innings than his starters in the 2011 world series

I kinda miss this part of TLR

I know TLR gets a lot of hate. I think a lot of is is understandable. But the way he played matchups throughout the 2011 postseason was a thing of beauty.

Doogdogg

Peavy, Lackey and Miller still hanging around for the playoff from the Red Sox trade. They have been huge for the playoff teams.

Saving grace is that Harp and Rendon were our best hitters so the future is bright there

I don't know what to do about the hitting in general though. It's a legitimate concern that was an issue even back in '12.

Congrats to the Giants.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
good article from dave cameron about the 7th inning last night. basically what everyone knows, managers suck at managing bullpens because they think their best pitchers should pitch with a 3 run lead and the others with the game on the line.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a...s-nationals-manager-nlds-game4-bullpen-100814

also this quote from the washington post explains it all:

“Because those are our seventh-inning guys,” Williams said. “That’s how we set this up. We had two lefties at the top of the inning, and if we got to the righties, we were going to Barrett. That’s what he’s done for us all year long. We’re certainly not going to use our closer in the seventh inning.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...how-matt-williams-used-his-bullpen-in-game-4/

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I find the contradictory beliefs that closers have to be mentally tough but they also can't handle working outside of the 9th and without a lead to be quite humorous and frustrating.

Fox318

I find the contradictory beliefs that closers have to be mentally tough but they also can't handle working outside of the 9th and without a lead to be quite humorous and frustrating.

Closers need to be tough as hell.

But if they throw more than 11 pitches they need to be pulled and nursed back to health.

BFIB

I know Lackey has stated he plans to honor his $500K option with no objections, but I have a strong feeling he's going to sit out and hope for a larger deal.

Saving grace is that Harp and Rendon were our best hitters so the future is bright there

I don't know what to do about the hitting in general though. It's a legitimate concern that was an issue even back in '12.

Congrats to the Giants.

Too bad your manager bats Harper 6th.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I know Lackey has stated he plans to honor his $500K option with no objections, but I have a strong feeling he's going to sit out and hope for a larger deal.
I mean

a) He would be destroying his own and his agents' credibility as good faith negotiators;
b) No team ownership is going to want to establish a precedence for players to pull that successfully;
c) I really doubt the Players Union would support him, as it reflects poorly on the rest of them.

Lackey would be out in the wind on his own, I think.

BFIB

I mean

a) He would be destroying his own and his agents' credibility as good faith negotiators;
b) No team ownership is going to want to establish a precedence for players to pull that successfully;
c) I really doubt the Players Union would support him, as it reflects poorly on the rest of them.

I feel the same way, but if he has one more chance at a payday, I would think he would want to take it. Especially being back out on the FA market and teams clamoring for SP.

XiaNaphryz

good article from dave cameron about the 7th inning last night. basically what everyone knows, managers suck at managing bullpens because they think their best pitchers should pitch with a 3 run lead and the others with the game on the line.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a...s-nationals-manager-nlds-game4-bullpen-100814

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...how-matt-williams-used-his-bullpen-in-game-4/

If you were forced to choose between Williams, Mattingly, Ausmus, or Yost to manage a tied elimination game in the middle to late innings, who would you go with?

I think most people have thought that he's not playing 2015 for 500k. He and the team will likely come to some sort of compromise and he'll get a short extension that'll give him more money per year but still below market rate for starting pitching.

He has zero leverage for sitting out because the Cards control his rights for another year and nobody will throw millions of dollars to a guy in his late 30s who hasn't pitched for a year. Management will still want him to be reasonably happy though so I doubt they'll play hardball by telling him to retire or play for relative peanuts.

Whether or not he likes the team/org will play into it too but there doesn't seem to be any issues there (yet).

Opiate

So the Cardinals rotation next year includes:

Wainright
Lackey
Miller
Wacha (potentially)
Martinez (potentially)
Garcia (almost certainly not)
Lynn

Am I missing anyone? Just like with our batting order, I don't see any need to go out and get another starter. I'm not saying it's impossible, in that redundant redundancy is always a good idea for starting pitching, but those 7 alone are very solid, without talking about potential up and comers like Marco Gonzalez.

BFIB

Wainright
Lackey
Miller
Wacha (potentially)
Martinez (potentially)
Lynn

Am I missing anyone? Just like with our batting order, I don't see any need to go out and get another starter. I'm not saying it's impossible, in that redundant redundancy is always a good idea for starting pitching, but those 7 alone are very solid, without talking about potential up and comers like Marco Gonzalez.

That seems to be the case. Lots of depth, but we all know how these situations tend to work themselves out.

Wainright
Lackey
Miller
Wacha (potentially)
Martinez (potentially)
Lynn

Don't forget about guys like Lyons and Cooney who should add to that depth as well.

Seems crazy to talk about offseason improvements after just advancing to the LCS but I'd think the bench is the main area of focus. Wigginton/Ellis have been total flops as bench boosters in recent years. Power right handed bench bat is something we sorely need. Bullpen will also be important to look at since I don't think we retain Neshek and who knows if we want to give an incentive-laden contract to a recovering Motte.

Really, really need Taveras to take a step forward next season though. He still has a higher ceiling than Grichuk but if Oscar doesn't wow us, I can see Grichuk starting over him on a regular basis.

XiaNaphryz

Gammons thinks the Red Sox will go after Sandoval as their first offseason target?

He's gonna get soooo overpaid isn't he?

Don't forget about guys like Lyons and Cooney who should add to that depth as well.

Seems crazy to talk about offseason improvements after just advancing to the LCS but I'd think the bench is the main area of focus. Wigginton/Ellis have been total flops as bench boosters in recent years. Power right handed bench bat is something we sorely need. Bullpen will also be important to look at since I don't think we retain Neshek and who knows if we want to give an incentive-laden contract to a recovering Motte.

Really, really need Taveras to take a step forward next season though. He still has a higher ceiling than Grichuk but if Oscar doesn't wow us, I can see Grichuk starting over him on a regular basis.

Bullpen from the right side is a definite need if they see Martinez as a starter. I like Neshek a lot, but big reliever contracts are one of the dumbest things an organization can do IMO and he's almost assuredly going to get one from another org in the offseason

Need a backup 1B too, preferably RHB, unless they see Scruggs as that

With perfect mangagement the series could have been won--but at the end of the day we didn't deserve to move on with the way we swung the bats.

eznark

Banned
I mean

It's not smart for him to pitch. He's risking millions.

Overlee

LA Times ripping into the Dodgers organization:

lol at Colletti claiming the bullpen's not the problem.

Bill Plaschke is a worse writer than Mattingly is a manager. All the same Colletti has always been awful at picking up relievers in free agency. Overpaying on multi-year deals for retreads.

Anyone that closely follows the Dodgers knows that other teams were asking for some combination of Urias, Seager, Pederson and a lesser prospect for any good reliever at the deadline. Don't blame him at all for not making a trade.

Signing:
Chris Perez
Brandon League
Brian Wilson

to be his late inning guys?

Colletti.jpg

Magic needs to fire his ass.

Well, going forward, I'm rooting for the Royals in the ALCS of course, but as a Royals fan who do I want as an opponent? I'm kind of split... Having the Royals/Cards rematch would be awesome. But on the other hand, the story if it's Royals/Giants is "Royals make the World Series again after all these years not even making the post season". If it's Royals/Cards, the focus becomes that famous rematch, rather than the Royals re-emergence. And then if the Royals lose to the Cardinals, half the baseball world calls it "revenge for Don Dekinger" or whatever.

Either way, we gotta make it through the O's first anyway.

Bill Plaschke is a worse writer than Mattingly is a manager. All the same Colletti has always been awful at picking up relievers in free agency. Overpaying on multi-year deals for retreads.

At least it wasn't TJ Simers writing this article. TJ Simers is the worst.

Top Bottom