• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

jman2050

I can completely understand why a lot of NL fans are less than enthused by this matchup. Giants and Cardinals have dominated the NL for the better part of a decade now.

I'm almost pining for the days of those obnoxious Phillies teams dominating the NL.

Almost

Afrikan

Professional Baseball...only sport where managers and players don't shake hands with opponents after a game right? Also only sport where Managers where the player uniforms.. (besides O'l boy from the Premier League...forget his name..lol)

I remember when I was a kid, I had teammates spit on their hands before we would slap hands with the opposing team.

of course I wouldn't even fist pump, let alone slap hands.... I'd use my Glove.

eznark

Banned
fuck baseball

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

BFIB

NL goes full retard once again. I pray that whoever wins the ALCS wins the whole thing
As much as I'm rooting for the Cards, it's really looking like either Royals or Os are going to get it. Both teams have a lot more to offer on offense.

Afrikan

It always amazes me to see baseball teams celebrate like they won the World Series after each playoff series win. Does any other sport do this?

dude, America has changed...I don't know how it is over seas..

but in this country since childhood now, they celebrate anything....then you have people using Gatorate showers randomly EVERYWHERE and for ANYTHING....heck they do it in Baseball now too...WTF?

carrying a coach on their shoulders after a game in week 4 of the NFL season??

it's just ridiculous now....everyone's a winner...and anything is a special moment.

Triz

dude, America has changed...I don't know how it is over seas..

but in this country since childhood now, they celebrate anything....then you have people using Budweiser showers randomly EVERYWHERE and for ANYTHING....heck they do it in Baseball now too...WTF?

carrying a coach on their shoulders after a game in week 4 of the NFL season??

it's just ridiculous now....everyone's a winner...and anything is a special moment.
fixed

I obviously want my O's in the World Series (and win). But, I'm kind of hoping they'll be matched up against San Francisco. Since both teams are black and orange, they'd be playing the "Halloween" series in October, the month OF black and orange. Also, it would feature 2 of the 3 most incredibly beautiful ballparks (Oriole Park at Camden Yards and AT&T Park) in ALL of baseball (PNC Park being the third).

It always amazes me to see baseball teams celebrate like they won the World Series after each playoff series win. Does any other sport do this?
Better than celebrating the right to play in the coin flip game lol.

Winning a playoff series is pretty special. Baseball is enough of a humbling sport - who knows when your team will get to this point again? Let them go crazy. Yes, I know the irony of this coming from a Cards fan but I hope the rest of the fanbase realize how special this run of success is because it will come to an end someday.

Afrikan

I obviously want my O's in the World Series (and win). But, I'm kind of hoping they'll be matched up against San Francisco. Since both teams are black and orange, they'd be playing the "Halloween" series in October, the month OF black and orange. Also, it would feature 2 of the 3 most incredibly beautiful ballparks (Oriole Park at Camden Yards and AT&T Park) in ALL of baseball (PNC Park being the third).

well, AT&T is beautiful as it was influenced by Camden Yards (opened in 1992)....

took 8 years before other teams caught up.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2000-10-14/news/0010140139_1_camden-yards-stadium-francisco-bay
The stadium was fashioned after Oriole Park, which opened in 1992 and changed the way the world watched baseball. The resemblance is unmistakable, from the dark green seats and traditional ironwork to the brick facades and the barbeque stand visible above the bleachers.

"I think [Camden Yards] was a big, big influence," McGowan says. "It was the favorite of the new parks. We liked Coors Field and the new stadium in Texas. We also drew heavily from Wrigley Field, but Camden Yards had a big impact. The downtown vistas just light up. The brick and steel. There are a lot of similarities."

That is no coincidence. PacBell was designed by the same architectural firm, HOK Sports, that designed Camden Yards and most of the other new ballparks that have opened during the past decade.

"The timing of Camden Yards was fortuitous for our project," says Larry Baer, the Giants' chief operating officer. "It opened in 1992, and our ownership group came together in 1992. As we were beginning our planning, the opening of Camden Yards was very fresh in our minds."

Top Bottom