• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

aFIGurANT

He posted a slightly above career average K/9, better than career average BB/9, roughly career average HR/9, slightly higher HR/FB% and below career average LOB%. This would suggest that his stuff is still okay and his ERA (the second worst metric you could've used) is mostly a by product of him being a little unlucky on fly balls. He didn't strand as many runners and while he didn't give up more fly balls than he normally does, more of them went for dingers.

Even then his FIP this year was right in line with his career, so it all kind of evened out.

His FB is down a mile per hour this year, but he still got roughly career average results.

He's just what you said: OK.

But his career marks aren't really elite reliever material anyway. This despite the fact that he's the pitcher to face lefties at a higher percentage than most everyone in the last decade. At 38 it doesn't seem inconceivable to think his prime is past, imo. Not that I'm hanging everything on him but fucking up yesterday did hurt a lot.

Malo

Banned
I'm on the KC train if STL loses again BTW... Because I hate teams that win too much.
image.php

Jesus Royals. I watched your Wild Card game and Game 1 of the Divisional series and haven't watched since and you sweep your way to the World series.

Good for you.

BFIB

Local media here in St. Louis is a trainwreck today. All they are talking about is how the Cardinals aren't beating the Giants, they're beating themselves, with the Giants just happening to be there.

Very few teams tend to get under the Cards skin, and our fanbase, but the Giants sure have their way of doing that. But, like I kept telling my co-worker this morning, its really impressive how well the Giants take advantage of mistakes. Kind of incredible when you look at what they've been able to do in this years postseason.

Just hoping Waino is ready to go. If not, its going to be a long day, much like game 7 of the 2012 NLCS.

Local media here in St. Louis is a trainwreck today. All they are talking about is how the Cardinals aren't beating the Giants, they're beating themselves, with the Giants just happening to be there.

Very few teams tend to get under the Cards skin, and our fanbase, but the Giants sure have their way of doing that. But, like I kept telling my co-worker this morning, its really impressive how well the Giants take advantage of mistakes. Kind of incredible when you look at what they've been able to do in this years postseason.

Just hoping Waino is ready to go. If not, its going to be a long day, much like game 7 of the 2012 NLCS.
This is what I'm expecting to be honest.

There's a big difference in losing because the Red Sox clobber your pitching vs losing because your defense continually self-combusts. Ugly defense is the hardest thing to watch. Unless it's ugly defense by the other team, then it's hilarious.

kris.

Banned
Hah, I'm such a nerd. I went into class at JCCC at the top of the eighth and just refreshed my phone over and over until they won. I was not the only one.

Go Royals!

Just got back. Its going to take awhile for everything to sink in. I'll be telling stories about today for the rest of my life. WE GOIN TO THE WORLD SERIES ROYALSGAF!!!

...and since when did everyone start going to my school?

oh hey jccc bros :3

the wait for tuesday is gonna be awful. luckily my tuesday night professor is a die-hard royals fan and basically guaranteed that we won't have class if they make it to the WS. but dang. everyone wearing blue today is getting a high five from me.

cashman

Banned
Jeff Bannister, the bench coach for the Pirates, was hired as the Texas Rangers manager today. I'm a little surprised that Bogar didn't get the hire.

Grichuk starting again.

So not only are we playing with a 23 man roster, we keep magnifying our bench weakness by starting one of our few legit RH bats. Starting Bourjos upgrades the OF defense and would give us more reasonable PH options.

BFIB

Grichuk starting again.

So not only are we playing with a 23 man roster, we keep magnifying our bench weakness by starting one of our few legit RH bats. Starting Bourjos upgrades the OF defense and would give us more reasonable PH options.

I'm assuming Boujos goes through arbitration, and is promptly traded. I think Taveras' writing is on the wall too.

I'm assuming Boujos goes through arbitration, and is promptly traded. I think Taveras' writing is on the wall too.
Wouldn't read too much into it with regards to roster construction. Shelby Miller trade rumors were abound last postseason too. Luckily, Matheny isn't the GM. He sticks to "his guys" way too much. It's great that he believes in his players but he needs to think more with his brain and less with his heart.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So who will make the World Series thread in OT? We've seen a Super Bowl thread and finals threads for the NBA and Stanley Cup.

Grichuk starting again.

Bourjos should've been starting every game at AT&T with Jay in RF. We probably win at least one of the past two games based on defense alone if Matheny had done that.

Somehow Grichuk has become a "Mike Guy" already. I'm not too upset at him starting against Bumgarner, though, because he can hit fastballs. And that's mostly what Bumgarner throws. But I'd prefer Bourjos/Jay in CF/RF.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Teams that have swept the LCS since they went to best of 7 in 1985 are a combined 6-22 in WS games.

1988 A's - Lost WS in 5
1990 A's - Lost WS in 4
1995 Braves - Won WS in 6
2006 Tigers - Lost WS in 5
2007 Rockies - Lost WS in 4
2012 Tigers - Lost WS in 4

Teams that have swept the LCS since they went to best of 7 in 1985 are a combined 6-22 in WS games.

1998 A's - Lost WS in 5
1990 A's - Lost WS in 4
How many of these teams had to deal with the "rust" factor? Both Tigers teams had a long layoff IIRC.

kris.

Banned

1988 A's - Lost WS in 5
1990 A's - Lost WS in 4

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.gif

team of destiny, nothing stops this train

zroid

Banned
I said earlier I wanted this to go 7, but I kinda hope the Giants just finish it off here. I can't stand to watch another game of this shitty series.

edit: Sandoval........

see5harp

Panda has hit into a few DP also. Cards seem to be hitting the ball really hard right now. Hopefully Mad Bum can get into a rhythm.

Top Bottom