• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

If anything, the Royals could catch the Angels flat footed. They really haven't played in a meaningful game in over 2 weeks since wrapping up the division.

But then again....something something David Freese.
MLB Network showed the season numbers in Royals/Angels games and they were pretty much even in every category. The Royals upsetting the Angels isn't so far fetched.

MLB will test pace of game initiatives in AFL. Ex: batter to keep at least 1 foot in box in at-bat; no pitch intentional walks.

Taken from twitter: Carrie Muskat

Fox318

MLB will test pace of game initiatives in AFL. Ex: batter to keep at least 1 foot in box in at-bat; no pitch intentional walks.

Managers will love no pitch intentional walks but I think it's bad.

You won't get the moments like when miggy hit a homerun off of love.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

games will still be the same length, more commercials.

Parch

I have no particular care for Kansas City, but I just love it when any home crowd gets to experience a game like that. That is what pro sports is about.

Man. I think everyone was/is still late for work this morning. And no shit, there was a super distinct rainbow this morning on the way to work. I stopped for coffee at QuikTrip and everyone was in a great mood. This whole city seems like it's been rolling in catnip.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Man. I think everyone was/is still late for work this morning. And no shit, there was a super distinct rainbow this morning on the way to work. I stopped for coffee at QuikTrip and everyone was in a great mood. This whole city seems like it's been rolling in catnip.
i got less than 4 hrs of sleep last night. Already had way too much caffeine this morning.

harSon

Banned
Getting off of work at 3 today (Pacific), and I have the day off tomorrow. I'll be heading home, changing into some Pirates gear, and heading up to a sports bar with some friends as probably the only Pirates fan in a 100 mile radius. Let's go Bucs! (Fuck Mike Glennon)

Askani

Yup, I was late, but no one at work gives a damn. I really wanted to call in today but it's Quarter End and that would have been a bridge too far. I would have been skewered if I tried that. Fortunately I don't have any pressing work and it seems like I'm going to be able to hide in my cube, read the internet, and talk about the game all day today.

BFIB

You've got to be pretty heartless to cheer against a small market team that hasn't won a playoff series in 22 years

Yeah....big Cards fan here and hell I'm rooting for the Pirates and Royals, as long as they don't beat the Cards.

Its great for the game to have Royals/Pirates involved in the postseason.

kris.

Banned
made it to work on time somehow this morning, but good lord i'm beat. broke my sober soda drinking ban for dat caffeine. don't even care. what a great day.

No way tonight's game could possibly stack up to last night's, but I'll happily take a 13-0 SF victory. That way the pirates are out, and Washington can knock the Giants off next round. No way their pitching holds up to Stras, Zimmermann and Fister.

Loving all the SF haters. You aren't doing it right unless you have haters.

That said, my butthole will be puckering tonight.

Ya'll should be afraid of Madison Bumgarner.

sports media watch.com said:
An extra-inning thriller got the Major League Baseball postseason off to a solid start on TBS.

mlbpostseasonThe Athletics/Royals American League Wild Card Game drew a 3.8 overnight rating on TBS Tuesday night, up 12% from Reds/Pirates on the comparable night last year (3.7). Last year’s A.L. Wild Card Game between the Rays and Indians aired on a Wednesday, earning a 3.7 overnight.

The 3.8 overnight is the second-highest ever for an MLB Wild Card Game (five telecasts dating back to 2012), behind only Orioles/Rangers in 2012 — which was the second game of a doubleheader (4.4).

Locally, the Royals’ 12th inning victory drew a 30.3 rating in Kansas City and a 9.9 in the Bay Area.
No surprise ratings up for this game.

BFIB

As long as its an even year, the Giants worry me more than anyone else. The Cards should have beat them in 2012, but came up short to a Pence odd at bat, and a Zito that restored his A's form.

As long as its an even year, the Giants worry me more than anyone else. The Cards should have beat them in 2012, but came up short to a Pence odd at bat, and a Zito that restored his A's form.
It was actually Zito at the peak of his powers. Didn't he reach base multiple times against us? So many stupid things went wrong in those 3 games.

I think the Pirates can pull through tonight if Hurdle has a short leash on Volquez. How will the PNC crowd chant a multi-syllabic name like Bumgardner?

Only way the Pirates lose tonight is Edinson Volquez. I don't believe in this even year mumbo jumbo. So what if they won two world series in three years. All that confirms to me is the work of Satan himself.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I'm not sweating this game too much. If we win, yay! If we lose, oh well.

Oh dear god I hope we don't lose.
Only reason I would be fine if we lose this year is because our team has been trashed due to injuries and shitty play throughout the year. Feel lucky to just get into the postseason.

rekameohs

Banned

I still don't get why hitters don't swing at the 3-0 intentional pitch to make the pitcher throw one more.

zulux21

Did a Kansas City fan really predict that the Royals would beat the Angels in six games? I guess it really has been a long time for them.

I'm not a royals fan :p
and it slipped my mind that the first series is just 5 games due to being tired from staying up to watch the game (twas running on 3 hours of sleep and had been up for 20 hours at that point), thus just amend that to 4 :p

Expect the royals play in the softest division in MLB

they play in the NL west?

Syrinx

The "even year" thing means precisely dick; it's completely irrelevant. If you're gonna be scared of them, be scared of the team they're fielding.

BFIB

The "even year" thing means precisely dick; it's completely irrelevant. If you're gonna be scared of them, be scared of the team they're fielding.

2010-Won the WS
2011-Missed the playoffs
2012-Won the WS
2013-Missed the playoffs

I see a pattern......

harSon

Banned
It was actually Zito at the peak of his powers. Didn't he reach base multiple times against us? So many stupid things went wrong in those 3 games.

I think the Pirates can pull through tonight if Hurdle has a short leash on Volquez. How will the PNC crowd chant a multi-syllabic name like Bumgardner?

A short leash for Hurdle consists of pulling a guy once he puts the game out of reach. On the plus side, Volquez has been a complete beast over the last 5 games. Unfortunately, his stats outside of ERA were similar over that stretch as they were over the rest of the year. But then again, he's been serviceable through out the year.

Hopefully he doesn't let the pressure get to him, and focuses on his mechanics. Ray Searage definitely deserves some kind of award for his eye for repairable pitchers, and his ability to repair them. Burnett, Liriano and Volquez over the last three years. Pretty impressive stuff considering the type of seasons they were coming off of.

I'm less worried about pitching then I am our bats completely disappearing. I can easily see us losing a 2-1 type of game.

zulux21

Look at this bad ass, crazy hi res panoramic shot of the stadium last night where you can zoom all the way in anywhere you want (go full screen for best results)

http://mlb.mlb.com/photos/gigapan/?gpId=ca86640c77f5ad103d851595f9bc31bc&c_id=kc&year=2014

that's pretty cool I wonder how much the camera cost that took that.

also some fun people in that pic such as
12e48abdbd.jpg

they look so happy :p

Top Bottom